Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
225 user(s) are online (181 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ASR
Automatic Slip Regulation; ie traction control.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1992....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pappyfreebird 84 c4 fan runs with key
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

84 c4 jus purchased (winter havent drivin much) i noticed now the fan starts as soon as turn on key...have replaced relay...if unplug relay it stops.. so relay must be ok...if unplug temp sensor rightside block...fan keeps runnin...ifn i unplg sensor in the aircompreesor pump it stops fan...but the tried run motor n fan would nawt turn on (evin at 240) so what i have is a fan that runs soon as hit key... any insite??? n shes nawt wired direct.. it did werk normal in the short time ive had it.. thanks pappy
Posted on: 2007/12/27 1:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

you really need the Helm Factory Service Manual.

It sounds like someone added a manual override to the fan.
Posted on: 2007/12/27 2:08

VtVette RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Is the A/C on?. If so the fan will stay on all the time.
Posted on: 2007/12/27 4:21

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

CasetheCorvetteman RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:

It certainly shouldnt, and not unless the engine is running. If the key is in the ON posi but the engine isnt running, the A/C doesnt require the fan.

Check the temp switch in the head and make sure its not shorted to ground.
Posted on: 2007/12/27 7:22

pappyfreebird RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thanks guys ... i did check fer grounded wires...n no ac is nawt on .. or defrost either...i prolly should jus put in a temp switch (in block)...but ifn that were the cause...shouldnt it shut off when i unplug that switch?? id think it should... least thats how i tell on tractors n harleys...hey i know tractorsn hogs ain nuttin like a vet...but hey!
Posted on: 2007/12/27 14:25

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

ps i did buy a haynes manual (cheap yea i r) but dont know ifn evin gonna keep car yet?? eitha way ain got manual yet eitha
Posted on: 2007/12/27 14:27

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

It certainly shouldnt, and not unless the engine is running. If the key is in the ON posi but the engine isnt running, the A/C doesnt require the fan.

Check the temp switch in the head and make sure its not shorted to ground.

Goddam what was I thinking - drinking and posting don't mix - and I've done a fair bit of drinking this holiday season
Posted on: 2007/12/28 1:45

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

OK this is courtesy of a poster on another forum. It's the cooling fan diagnostic chart from the factory manual. This should give you an example of how valuable the factory service manual is:

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Cooling%20Fan%20Control.pdf

I'd print this or save it to your computer if I were you. No telling how long it's going to be up.
Posted on: 2007/12/28 1:51

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thank you vt mayun i awready scarfed it up n its printed n filed paps
Posted on: 2007/12/28 1:56

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Pappy, the right head is the sensor youre after, the left head has the one for the gauge on the dash. The one in the block is a knock sensor.

Quote:
OK this is courtesy of a poster on another forum. It's the cooling fan diagnostic chart from the factory manual. This should give you an example of how valuable the factory service manual is:

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Cooling%20Fan%20Control.pdf

I'd print this or save it to your computer if I were you. No telling how long it's going to be up.

No good. This is an 84, not an 86. Not the same.
Posted on: 2007/12/28 6:46

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Quote:
No good. This is an 84, not an 86. Not the same.

No kidding - I didn't know there was any difference in cooling fan setups between years - is it the ECU wiring that is different?
Posted on: 2007/12/28 6:51

RRTvette RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Guru
Bogalusa, LA
50 Posts

The 84 uses the temp sender in the right head and grounds the wire to turn the fan on. Only C4 that doesn't use the ECM to ground the fan. Also the temp sender for the digital gauge is on the opposite side on the 84 and 85 than for the 86+.

Check and make sure the wire for the temp sender in the right head is not grounded somwhere. If not, look for a switch inside the car for a manual override. Does the SES light blink when the key is turned on or does the SEs light come on when the key is ON?
Posted on: 2007/12/28 6:59

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

What he said ;)
Posted on: 2007/12/28 7:04

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thank you dudes...i r gonna clear the sno n pull the cover n look her over more this weekend.. i hope...more sno on way... dumb question but whats the ses...pollry figure it out when see dash...but like said its coverd up....wish could be in shed ...but too many bikes in there ...have found the compressor sensor n the right head sensor...fan stops if unplug aircomp sensor...but then will nawt run at all (evin at 240) n wont stop at all if unplug the block sensor..and wires is good at least into main harness...thanks again i keep at it
Posted on: 2007/12/28 13:58

Guru
Bogalusa, LA
50 Posts

pappyfreebird, had a hard time reading your post. The SES (Service Engine Soon) light will come on when the key is turned to the ON position but should go off after the engine is started. Just wondering if the light stays on and if you have pulled any DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).
Posted on: 2007/12/28 22:31

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

sarry fer my fugged up wriitin... ima tard but nawt stupid ...wahahahaha...thanks fer the reply n to answer no havent takin it ta read codes (havent had plates jus bought) n the ses light (well ifn it comes on... it goes off after start it) dont recall seeing it before she started..hafta see other post ..i were busy freakin bout the tranny cooler...but fine fer now...n did take yer guys advice n run a trip wire fer the hood latch(jus seemed smart) how many a you fellas have done that on yer other rides???(makes me wunder ifn my trucks cable broke how ta opin it.... ok i shut up
Posted on: 2007/12/29 1:43

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

ok let me try this...(one question n nawt run on)
isnt the block sensor (rightside head) sopposed to shut off fan ifn unplugged??? (cause it dont n makes me think its ok ..sarry there i go))) :shaking:
Posted on: 2007/12/29 1:47

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

I simply cant make head nor tail out of any of it mate im sorry, but youre going to have to make a better effort with your diction.

On an 84, the only sensor in side of the block is the knock sensor. Nothing to do with temps or fans on your model.

There is no SERVICE ENGINE SOON light on an 84 either as far as i know, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp on your model probably says CHECK ENGINE instead.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 7:49

CentralCoaster RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I have the 1984 GM service manual and I'll tell you exactly how it's wired and walk you through diagnosing/repairing it, BUT... first you have to rewrite your first post using normal, coherent english.

Sorry but it's a two way street with me, that's how I work.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 20:17

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

preciate it coaster .... i have a haynes commin... n prolly will git it...jus aint put alotta effort since its outside n freezun n cant drive yet anyway...jus thought since found you guys, id ask n see ifn commun prolem n easy er what ya know!
Posted on: 2007/12/29 20:24

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

heres my 1st real try...jus bought n 84 vet...the fan would turn on n go off...never paid mind to what temp (jus got it)..but did go off n on when drivin...i fugged round with stereo one day ,,,n bat went dead...charged bat. n now coolant fan turns on when turn key on...relay has been changed n have found the temp gauge sensor in left bank ..n what thought was fan sensor in right bank (heads)n theres a sensor in the air compressor also...n all the wires ive looked at look good (no grounds) if i unplug the right bank sensor,,fan still runs all times...ifn i unplug the compressor sensor itll stop fan...but then fan wont run at all...same with relay...thats where im at with it...n i r sarry fer the way i write n fer goin on n on when ask cheeyut ...its jus me...i git ta be freinds n bs as i learn is good way ta describe this foo... pappy the illiterated derilected freebird is what called on many chopper sites..but a hog i kin make werk..a vet i need freinds...anybody wanna be freinds
Posted on: 2007/12/29 20:35

MK 82 RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

You folks are getting your pud yanked!
Posted on: 2007/12/29 20:44

Notorious RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
You folks are getting your pud yanked!

I would think most of you would already be familiar with this guy. Need I say more?
Posted on: 2007/12/29 20:48

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
[quote]You folks are getting your pud yanked!

:withstupid]

Are you implying he's using a dupe username to mess with people? Seems to be going to a lot of effort to do that if that's the case.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 20:50

CFI-EFI RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

I don't know if this illiterate is stroking people or if he really has a problem. I think 'nawt" means "not". If typing is difficult for him, I would think 3 letters would be easier to type than 4. Single letters,"r" for "are", for example, are either just plain lazy, ignorance, or a total disregard for the ease of reading, by the people he is asking for help, if he really is. If someone wants help, don't give the the knowledge pool a double challenge; first decoding the question and second, answering the decoded question. I have answered and written the solution to the original question, as it was asked on that old, less popular forum, where he originally posted it. He isn't smart enough to construct a sentence, but he is so smart he can refute the true solution to the problem as originally asked.

Check [color=blue:3cb570aaa4]HERE[/color:3cb570aaa4]. Item #7.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2007/12/29 22:42

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Yeah, you're probably right.

But my offer still stands, if he can type coherently, I'll offer help. I figure anyone that can read is capable of that.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 23:07

MK 82 RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Oh puleeeze! No one talks that badly in print! Especially if he has a computer connected to the net. He yanked people's member on CF and is continuing it here with the same topic. He insults me as a southerner. Bogus, kick his butt off.

EDIT!! I am beginning to believe that he is for real!
Posted on: 2007/12/29 23:30

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Ah, but then how would he ever learn. I'll just ignore him until I can understand what he's saying.
Posted on: 2007/12/29 23:32

Notorious RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
[quote]You folks are getting your pud yanked!

:withstupid]

Are you implying he's using a dupe username to mess with people? Seems to be going to a lot of effort to do that if that's the case.

What do you mean by a "dupe user name?" It's the same one he used over on the "big forum", correct? I'll cut him some slack too if he makes the effort to communicate seriously. But otherwise, I've got better things to do....
Posted on: 2007/12/29 23:35

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

vetmen ...do me a favor n go to msn n type shovelheads forever ...ive been me there fer a few years now...also harley tech talk...go there...dont hafta join jus look at our posts...youll see this foo there jus beyun me...have had same type of comments here n there n weve aways managed....also check dingscc nuther hog site i help on...this is jus tryun ta show ya i r me ...n i ain t here ta fug wid anybody...i got a blood brutha that has a 68 stingray n a 77 ...n made me think i wanted one ...so got the 84...ill manage myself ifn gonna fug wid all yer heads so bad....but jus thought ,,hey these sites maybe be helpful n cool ta be part of ...so help ifn ya kin n dont ifn ya dont...but i r real i r me n im who i am...n nawt here ta cause hassel er debate ifn im real...go look fug sing up n ask the pappy sum harley questions...ill help ya best i kin...thanks rednecks.. the pappy
Posted on: 2007/12/30 1:41

NC Kid RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Not that my opinion matters but I will give it. You're typing is worse than mine and I use abbreviations because I instant message. I can understand what your typing because I see it so often. People think your a troll and that you're here just to stir trouble and take up space which whether you are or not, is none of my business. I did see your post at another forum as well and it did not seem to go well for you there. If your typing is as bad as it seems, there are programs that let you talk into a microphone and the computer types it for you. Sorry, I have no other input on your problem though. Goodluck with it.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 2:01

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

thanks dude..preciate it...it aint that a cant learn n er take more time...its the why must i change cause people say so...nawt tryun ta stir jack cheeyut here er anywhere..in fact were jus gonna type a note sayin sarry...did jus realize im babblin over a tech site n will save my babblen jokin fer the general booard ..n ony try n ask simple one line questions on the tech one...i do see people r here to help..n kin be pissed off by my ways..fer that im sarry dudes..ill go to the other thnigie fer my bsin.. hope that comes out right...hey yer nawt alone you should see my bosses git peeled...they the fuggar kin fix bout anythin but he cant type werth a cheeyut..now respectfully ill stop the fuggan round on this c4 tech n ony ask my question ..n i be on the general ta fug around hows that..lightun up guys..vets r fer fun jus like motobikes ... thanks pappy i mean c4chat i think nawt general sarry..fug quit makin me say sarry..lets blow a fatty ...wait beleive it nawt ive been clean fer ova 20 yrs..nawt evin a drinker no mo ...hey thats why im turnin foo..i gave up all the fun stuff jus ta live..sarry i be in c4 chat rattlin unless its a question
Posted on: 2007/12/30 2:09

Guru
Bogalusa, LA
50 Posts

Quote:
thanks dude..preciate it...it aint that a cant learn n er take more time...its the why must i change cause people say so...

It's not that we don't want to help. I can't understand much of anything you are typing. If I can't read it, I can't help...it's that simple.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 5:45

Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Quote:
It's not that we don't want to help. I can't understand much of anything you are typing. If I can't read it, I can't help...it's that simple.

That is indeed true mate.

We are not saying you have to change Pappy, we are saying we simply cant understand the message youre trying to convey to us.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 7:15

cuisinartvette RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Use spellcheck, problem solved.

Your spelling is intentional you can obviously do it. Spare us all lasik surgery and try?
Posted on: 2007/12/30 8:13

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
thanks dude..preciate it...it aint that a cant learn n er take more time...its the why must i change cause people say so...
Because the whole world isn't going to change because YOU say so. And because it is the language of the land. It will allow you to better communicate thoughts and ideas among those with which you wish to converse. Why Learn? Several good reasons. You are already asking people to go out of their way to help you. Many of us are willing and able do that. It isn't fair or even common courtesy, to ask your willing helpers to undertake the additional task of decoding your gibberish into English, to understand what you are trying to say. Regardless of the language, sentences start with a capital letter. Words are separated by a space. Sentences end with the appropriate, single, punctuation mark; a period, question mark, etc. There are two spaces between sentences. And proper spelling goes a long way toward making a post legible and understandable. Many of your colloquialisms aren't poor spelling, but for some unimaginable reason, just rebel language that isn't native to most of us.

I posted the solution to the problem on the old forum. For some reason you seem to think you know better, but yet you still ask. You have added a new symptom to the problem, since then, and I have the solution to that too, but since you know better and prefer to ignore the proper answer, I see no reason to push the issue. After all, I have to be me.

If not as a common courtesy to those willing to help, at least for your own selfish reasons, so people will understand what you are writing, and so they CAN help you, start writing in proper sentences, using the afore mentioned common rules of the English language. Also, start using real words and spell check.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2007/12/30 17:33

SpectatorRacing RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
the afore mentioned common rules of the English language.

"Aforementioned" is one word... :angel9:
Posted on: 2007/12/30 17:55

Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Well it's plain to see from my earlier posts in this thread exactly how much I know about '84 cooling fan circuitry so all I can add to this thread is It's great to see you here CFI-EFI!
Posted on: 2007/12/30 17:57

cuisinartvette RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

we'n preciate dat. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2007/12/30 18:13

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Spell check passed on it. Now that I think of it, I think I have been corrected on that word previously. I am a poor speller. To compound that I am a very poor typist. I type a lot of "O"s for "I"s, etc. Spell check doesn't check syntax. I end up with a lot of "on"s where I meant "in", "if"s instead of "of"s. I have to constantly proof read, but now the wrong words are starting to look correct. Between slow, poor typing, proof reading and spell checking, it takes me a lot longer than most to create a post, but I do try to make it as correct and legible as possible. Regardless of the facts, I try not to look like an idiot. I'll try to do gooder.

Thanks, Brian. I DO know the 1984 fan circuity pretty well. I've had this car for 21 years now, and I'm starting to get to know it.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2007/12/30 18:54

SpectatorRacing RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
Spell check passed on it.
Now that I think of it, I think I have been corrected on that word previously.

Both "afore" and "mentioned" are words, I assume that's why it missed them.

I assume you know I was just yanking your chain, I am one of the many, many people that you've helped in the past, and I find your reprimands of those who deserve it quite amusing.

I come from a long line of english teachers, and therefore one of my biggest pet-peeves is poor grammar and punctuation. In addition, today's text message generation are doing they're lazy best to ruin written language with abreviations and slang.

It burns me, and I'm not even a crotchety old man yet.
Posted on: 2007/12/30 19:04

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i rekon i r smart nuff nawt ta be lead into trouble by cf... as in last site..ony comment to you sir is... ifn its out of your way to help me then dont fuggan help me.... fer you others that (are) here to hang n like to help people n bs a bit n nawt be huge headed bout it thanks...know one thing fellas when i figure out ill tell ya ...n ive never been ashamed ta say aw fug it were just a wire right in my face.... aint ayun i kin figure it out...but aint never pd a wrench that i dint want too..i aint killin myself werkin on it neither...as said found a vet site thought id join in n bs a bit..do realize ive been doin my bsn in the tech side so i shut up over here ..tell i have more qustions...right now i jus need ta take time n look the things awready suggested...kin awready see yous a cool bunch a cats...
Posted on: 2007/12/30 19:06

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i rekon i r smart nuff nawt ta be lead into trouble by cf... as in last site..ony comment to you sir is... ifn its out of your way to help me then dont fuggan help me.... fer you others that (are) here to hang n like to help people n bs a bit n nawt be huge headed bout it thanks...know one thing fellas when i figure out ill tell ya ...n ive never been ashamed ta say aw fug it were just a wire right in my face.... aint ayun i kin figure it out...but aint never pd a wrench that i dint want too..i aint killin myself werkin on it neither...as said found a vet site thought id join in n bs a bit..do realize ive been doin my bsn in the tech side so i shut up over here ..tell i have more qustions...right now i jus need ta take time n look the things awready suggested...kin awready see yous a cool bunch a cats...
Posted on: 2007/12/30 19:10

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
I assume you know I was just yanking your chain, I am one of the many, many people that you've helped in the past, and I find your reprimands of those who deserve it quite amusing.
You assume correctly.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2007/12/30 23:40

brut RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

wow..I really don't know what to say. I can't agree more on CFI-EFI questioning why the world should have to change to be able to read the posts of one user. The other 99% of the members here can type well enough that most of us can understand what they are trying protray. I have got to say that yours is very hard and it hurts my eyes and my brain trying to make sense of it.

I am 100% glad you are here, but please, if you want help, make sure we can understand what you are saying!
Posted on: 2007/12/30 23:58

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
i rekon i r smart nuff nawt ta be lead into trouble by cf... as in last site..ony comment to you sir is... ifn its out of your way to help me then dont fuggan help me....
Does that say, I reckon I are smart enough not to be lead into trouble by Corvette Forum. As in last site. Ony(???) comment to to you sir. If n(???) it's out of your way to help me then don't fucking help me.? I don't know the swear word policy on this forum, but I would think that is over the line. Even decoded it is poor English.

In any case, you don't say to whom you are speaking. If it happens to be me, as I've said, I have already given the correct solution to the problem, as originally stated. Should I retract it?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2007/12/31 0:00

RollaMo-LT4 RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

My head hurts after reading all that.

I think DropTopCE is right. He's yanking your chain
Posted on: 2007/12/31 0:31

NC Kid RE:84 c4 fan runs with key
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

i rekon i r smart nuff nawt ta be lead into trouble by cf... as in last site..ony comment to you sir is... ifn its out of your way to help me then dont fuggan help me.... fer you others that (are) here to hang n like to help people n bs a bit n nawt be huge headed bout it thanks...know one thing fellas when i figure out ill tell ya ...n ive never been ashamed ta say aw fug it were just a wire right in my face.... aint ayun i kin figure it out...but aint never pd a wrench that i dint want too..i aint killin myself werkin on it neither...as said found a vet site thought id join in n bs a bit..do realize ive been doin my bsn in the tech side so i shut up over here ..tell i have more qustions...right now i jus need ta take time n look the things awready suggested...kin awready see yous a cool bunch a
cats...

He says he is smart enough not to be lead into trouble by CFI because on the last site thats what happened. If it is out of your way to help him then dont do it. When he figures something out he will tell you. He has never been ashamed to say aww ****, it's just a wire in my face. He will not kill himself working on this car either. He found this vette site and figured he should Bull **** a little bit. Do realize he is doing his bull shi*ing in the tech side so he shuts up over here. Right now he needs to take time and look over it. He thinks you guys are a bunch of "cool cats".

I'm just translating what he says....None of the above information has anything to do with my opininon on the matter and I am not taking his side either. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2007/12/31 0:54

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.