Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
153 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D36
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 199...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

jhammons01 C-Beam "Plates"
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I'm not getting this one.....

Quote:

Josh wrote:
I made my own beam plates the last time I had the C-beam out. I bought some 1/4 inch steel plate strips from Lowes and used my electric angle grinder to cut them into shape. I drilled some holes in the plates and them used the factory bolts and nuts to bolt the plates to the beam. I took the whole deal to an exhaust shop by my house and asked them to weld the factory nuts to the plates I made. Since everything was bolted together when they welded the nuts on, I didn't have any problems installing the new plates because everything was already located. They worked great, and they were worth the time/trouble just based on the fact that I can do the C-beam bolts now without getting a wrench to the top side. I can hit them with my electric impact and have them in and out in a couple minutes.
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

That's a great idea. A lot better than paying $200!

Matthew

I admit, I'm not understanding this concept or how it works.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 15:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

http://zfdoc.com/c4beamplate.htm

I ordered some last week, not being as creative as Josh ;-)
Posted on: 2009/6/10 16:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22810 Posts

Makes it easier to remove/install the c beam and/or components attached to it, ie trans and diff. The c beam plates sold by ZF doc as illustrated in Brad's link are basically nuts that are welded to a plate so the c-beam bolts can thread through them without having to hold a wrench on the top of the beam (a real PIA!). IMHO, great little part, way overpriced.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/10 16:39

jhammons01 Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Oh, I get it now.......Yes...$200 bones....I'm in the wrong business.

I was imagining some plates that made it easier to wriggle free once the four large bolts were removed.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 16:44

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

They're a little less than the listed price. I figure by the time I ran around to the store, cut it wrong, broke a drill bit, cut my finger, drilled it wrong, went back to the store, went to get it welded, etc. it's a wash.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 16:54

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

BrianCunningham Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

They're worth it

I installed a set last time I change my clutch.

Of course that's how I also found out either I need a engine mount, or batwing mounts. My shift lever hits the console when I shift.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 17:16

CentralCoaster Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I can see the benefit, but not at that price. I also hear so many voodoo stories about it making the car handle better.

A $10 crescent wrench has always worked for me. I tighten the forward one first, then the back one. I've never had my cbeam bolts come loose, and I've been under there many times for other reasons.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 17:36

anesthes Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I can see the benefit, but not at that price. I also hear so many voodoo stories about it making the car handle better.

A $10 crescent wrench has always worked for me. I tighten the forward one first, then the back one. I've never had my cbeam bolts come loose, and I've been under there many times for other reasons.

Agreed.

I had mine apart at least 10 times and I never had a problem.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/6/10 18:32

Livin_the_dream Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

I always thought that besides the ease of getting loose. Which I have had no problem with either. That the area of the plate top and bottom would hold better than a washer, stiffening things up more. I was just gonna use plates and forget about the welding
Posted on: 2009/6/10 19:14

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The beam is already 1/4" aluminum, which distributes the clamping force.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 20:15

Mekanic Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I'm thinking about getting them when I get around to doing my clutch because my shifter rises about 3/4" on hard acceleration, and from reading about these plates, they seem to eliminate trans movement
Posted on: 2009/6/10 23:18

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

bogus Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I got them 7 years ago. I have found that the rear end doesn't kick to the right as it used to without them.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 1:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

vetteoz Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I got them 7 years ago. I have found that the rear end doesn't kick to the right as it used to without them.

Same here ,made my own.Made a difference when 4+3 was in the car.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 2:02

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
The beam is already 1/4" aluminum, which distributes the clamping force.

True but it is localized in the area the size of the washers
The plates distribute the clamping force over a larger area. For instance take a C clamp and tighten it real tight on a piece of wood and you get dimples from the clamp on the wood. Now put a 2inch X 4inch plate between the wood and the C clamp and tighten again on another area of the wood. Either no dimple or a much larger dimple. On the C beam I feel the plates help to hold the C beam to the tranny and rear tighter than 2 washers making the whole unit stiffer
Posted on: 2009/6/11 2:03

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Aside from making it easier to work on, that's the thing I'm hoping to cure as well.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 2:05

Josh Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I did it for ease of working, I wasn't looking for a performance gain. I've had the C-beam out of my car God knows how many times and never had a problem without them.

It only takes me a couple minutes to do both sets of bolts now. In the past I would put the front bolt in, work my hand a wrench up onto the top of the beam, hold the nut, tighten the bolt which invariably pinned the wrench to the body, fight with the wrench to get it off the nut, finally win that battle, then move onto the next bolt only to repeat the process. Now, I just put the bolts in.

I didn't notice any difference in performance, handling, noise, shifter rise, or any of the things others have reported the beam plates curing.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 3:11

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Livin_the_dream wrote:

True but it is localized in the area the size of the washers
The plates distribute the clamping force over a larger area.

You missed my point. In order for the beam not to slip, you need the C-beam to be tight against the tranny snout.

In stock form, the bolt force is distributed via a 1/4" thick aluminum.

With plates, the bolt force is distributed via 1/2" thick aluminum.

So yeah, it will be over a larger area, but in stock form it's still much larger than just where the washers go.

But now that you mention it, some thicker washers would be almost as good.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 4:37

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

c'mon guys......there is no way that adding those plates does anything concerning performance....It's either loose and allowing shift....or it's tight enough with or without plates or washers.....

"I also hear so many voodoo stories about it making the car handle better. "
Posted on: 2009/6/11 5:37

vetteoz Re: C-Beam "Plates"
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
c'mon guys......there is no way that adding those plates does anything concerning performance....It's either loose and allowing shift....or it's tight enough with or without plates or washers.....
"I also hear so many voodoo stories about it making the car handle better. "

Many happy campers out there.
I have pulled beams out of 2 manual cars were even though the bolts where tightened to spec, the the bolt holes in the beam at trans end were elongated so something ain't holding tight enough.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 7:48

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^I fully concede that point...and yes if the bolts are "loose" then that is a whole topic on body rigidity and Stiffness for suspension sake.

That being said, if the c-beam is under normal factory specs....having a plate or a washer on the outside of it will not do anything more....

it's either tight enough or it improperly maintained......

this is my same "tact" I take when people start talking about modifying their cooling systems, complaining about higher temps, all the while running a 20+ year old sludge filled radiator. Why go through the trouble if modifying something when "if" that item was maintained properly it would work just fine in stock form......that is all
Posted on: 2009/6/11 14:40

Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

You missed my point. In order for the beam not to slip, you need the C-beam to be tight against the tranny snout.

Yup I did I kind of took that for a given. Which I find is way easy to do on the interweb
Posted on: 2009/6/12 1:31

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I won't assume that the factory just got it right. Personally I would have designed a shape into the snout or beam that caused it to lock into place. Relying on just the bolt isn't a great idea.

And yeah, I've pulled beams that had ovalled out holes.
Posted on: 2009/6/12 2:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.