Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
125 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Driver Information Center
Also known as the DIC.

This is the display readout panel on the dash. It's above the radio for 1984-1989; above the climate controls, 1990-1996.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Well, as the title states, help me put my mind at ease. The background on my car has always been a little shaky with unknown maintenance and care. In fact, I think it was pretty neglected. I've done, IMHO, more than a little routine maintenance in the 2 1/2 years I've owned it. After all this time and the most recent work, it's running stronger, harder, faster than it ever has. So now I'm puzzled/upset/irritated/ready to cry. I changed my oil today (which is actually the first time I've ever *personally* changed it) and found gold colored metal flakes in the oil catch pan. Ugh! I've always thought this meant a spun bearing. But there is no rod knock that I can tell and the oil pressure is good. It was pretty hot today, 90*, and the gauge showed the lowest of 14 psi at 600 rpm idle. At cruise it's around 45 psi.

I was putting off my rebuild until winter of 2011, but does this mean I will be doing it sooner? I have yet to cut open the filter itself, and I'll try to get some pictures later, I didn't think of it today. I also didn't check yet if they are magnetic or not, I'll do that tomorrow.

Someone give me some ideas. Please.

Thanks,

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/8/5 3:11

pianoguy Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Sounds like some kind of bearing material, most likely. I guess I'd keep an eye on it, maybe do another oil change after a few hundred miles to see if there's any notable amount again. Maybe there's an additive of some sort that might delay the inevitable. If you do get the dreaded knock, shut it down as soon as you can to avoid damaging your block.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 3:19

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You should use a magnetic drain plug.

Actually, you shouldn't. Just change the oil and don't look at it, it'll just get you down. Run it till it breaks!

I guess that stuff is too small for the filter? I'd worry about that circulating through the engine.

Use a better filter also.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 5:10

bogus Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

it could also be bubbles of moisture.

Do you still have the old oil? If so, run a magnet through it.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 5:49

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

It's not bubbles, I physically felt it inbetween my fingers. I was running a carquest gold filter that was like $9, so I'm wondering what is trapped inside.

I'll know more later, I guess.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/8/5 12:50

BrianCunningham Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

It's a royal PITA, but you could drop the pan and check stuff.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 13:55

bogus Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I wouldn't bother.

Just monitor pressure and start collecting parts.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 13:57

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

1Fast04Vert Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

If you do a google search you will find a listing of oil analysis labs. You could send in a sample and get a lab analysis of what is going on in your engine.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 13:58

volzfan Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
If you do a google search you will find a listing of oil analysis labs. You could send in a sample and get a lab analysis of what is going on in your engine.

It'll either ease your mind, or put you over the edge, but at least it will be an answer.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 14:19

dan0617 Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Just run it. If you are talking about a few smallish chunks it may likely be no big deal. Could be off the edges of one of the bearings or something of that nature. Could have been 1 metal filing from something else went through 1 bearing and caused a gall in 1 of the bearings and you are finding the remnants of that. Could be ready to be a 350 ci boat anchor too, but until it is I'd just run it and keep an eye on it.

What year is your car? If it is a flat tappet cam engine, consider putting Comp Cams engine break in oil in it with each oil chagne. Also consider going to a thicker oil if you are still running a fairly thin oil. Maybe go up to a 10W40 at the very least, or maybe 15W40 or 15W50. Go to the thicker oil no matter what year it is.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 15:33

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

I was considering doing that. It would put me more at ease. How hard is it to check the bearing surfaces (and crank) once I drop the pan?

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/8/5 18:40

Fluff Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

I was considering doing that. It would put me more at ease. How hard is it to check the bearing surfaces (and crank) once I drop the pan?

Matthew

I would 'guess' that if it ain't knocking (no slack in the bearing(s) ), you might not see a lot unless you start undoing rod and main caps. If a bearing has 'spun' there 'might' be squashed slithers of shell visible around the bearing, but I'd have thought you'd be hearing the knock at that stage.

BUT, take no notice of me, I'm only thinking out loud and know nought about chevy motors. I just hope it ain't a biggy and lasts until your planned rebuild.

Out of curiousity (because I'm a newby), what have you done (repairs/maintenance) over the past few months, any associations like valve guides (are chev's phosphor bronze?) anything else were a bush has been replaced or involvolved (oil pump or cam or something)?

Good luck with it.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 19:16

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Thanks, all the maintenance I've done is on the peripherals on the motor like alternator, air pump, tb service, etc. I haven't had to dig into the motor itself aside from removing the plenum a few times for fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, etc.

I'm still at a loss of what to do. I think I'm gonna go cut open my oil filter.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/8/5 19:26

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Well, I did get a chance to go and cut open my filter and reinspect the oil. Checking the oil first, I was unable to find any larger shavings/metal/dirt like I saw yesterday in the pan. The stuff that was in the pan I cleaned out with a paper towel and threw out so it's long gone. There wasn't a ton in it to begin with, but obviously enough to alarm me. From checking the oil I had saved, I was surprised how dirty it was. I was able to see some very very fine gold particles if I poured it slowly and looked through it towards the light. Otherwise it just looked black.

The biggest surprise is when I cut open the filter and removed the paper element. There was nothing. It was clean (aside from oil). I found a couple minuscule pieces of dirt/debris, but no metal shavings or clumps. I was shocked.

At this point, I think I might have been over-alarmed. Stressing over nothing? Not sure. I'm gonna keep driving and keep an eye on the oil and oil pressure.

Pics below of filter element.

Matthew

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Posted on: 2009/8/5 20:33

BeachBum Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Master Guru
751 Posts

I personally think you're fine, I've found things like stray cats and dogs in my oil at one time or another.....

Whenever I found something new in the oil, I'd head to the track and try to beat it out..... never could blow one up, but I tried on a few occasions.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 22:15

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

gascaleman Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Guru Newb
South Georgia
20 Posts

Could be a zillion things.Perhaps cam bearing or distributor drive gear if it is bronze. I would first pull the bistributor and check that, not a big job. Then if you still find stuff in the oil drop the pan and undo rod caps and check rod bearings, perhaps replace the rod cap bolts with better quality bolts while you are there. If you find a damaged rod bearing then look at the crank for scars, etc. If crank looks good replace the rod bearings. If you pull the pan remove the oil pump and check it out and perhaps replace it while you are there. Then check the mains same way. I would first run her some and then check oil again. Good luck my money would be on the bronze distributor gear as I have had that happen. Use Mobil 1 oil.
Posted on: 2009/8/5 22:40

PeteK Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Normal.
Don't ever use a black plastic drain pan to do an oil change. The black magnifies the gold debris, and make you panic over nothing.
Posted on: 2009/8/6 0:36

joeld Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

Hey Mat, just curious about one thing. Was the oil change you're talking about before or after the Seafoam?

Joel
Posted on: 2009/8/6 1:33

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Normal.
Don't ever use a black plastic drain pan to do an oil change. The black magnifies the gold debris, and make you panic over nothing.

Thanks, Pete, that's exactly what I used

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/8/6 11:32

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

Quote:

joeld wrote:
Hey Mat, just curious about one thing. Was the oil change you're talking about before or after the Seafoam?

Joel

After.
Posted on: 2009/8/6 11:33

dan0617 Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Normal.

I need to add this quote to my signature!

I've panicked over this stuff before. If you didn't overrev the engine or run the oil for 40,000 miles or dump something stupid in there, it is very doubtful that you will have a bearing failure. It happens, but most of the time bearing failure is self inflicted.

Wait till you build that new engine. You will keep it spotless when you build it, then when you drain out the break-in oil you will see all sorts of metal and brass colored filings and very small chunks and dirt and stuff. Then when you drain out the second oil change you will find more. It will be mostly brass colored this time but the filings will be tiny. I guess that is just part of a new engine breaking in. Try not to go into panic mode then.
Posted on: 2009/8/6 12:08

joeld Re: Worried after my oil change. [help!]
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

The reason I asked about the time frame of the Seafoam was I read a thread several months ago in a W-body forum where a member ws asking questions about "finding" some particles in his oil. I did not read the thread very close and do not remember all the details. I've never used this product, just noticed some people like it. Possibly this "cut" some crud loose? I doubt it, but stranger things have happened!

But, in my opinion 99.9% of the time the gold colored particles are in fact bearing face material. Just a suggestion, on your next oil change use a paint strainer on the old oil and see what gets caught. New lower end bearing can be installed "in car", cam bearings are a different story. Good luck.

Joel
Posted on: 2009/8/6 15:39

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22807 Posts

I think the seafoam may have knocked some stuff loose that's been hiding in there for a long time. I don't follow the belief that seafoam damages your engine. I think for some people, it might just show them what was damaged all along. Sounds like my case.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/8/6 17:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.