Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
238 user(s) are online (188 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Where Were You In 1965?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

If you weren't born yet, be patient. I'll catch up to you soon enough.

In 1965 I was in the the 4th and later the 5th grade. I had noticed the development of some of my female classmates and was trying at that time to make lots of new friends. I attended a parochial school. At that time I took flut-o-phone (recorder) lessons with many of the rest of my classmates. Living in Boston provided plenty of opportunity to enjoy seasonal events. Hockey, basketball, baseball and football were all played by kids in the neighborhood. We also threw everything that was not tied down. Rocks, sticks, snowballs, eggs. I can remember gathering a grocery bag full of nuts for an upcoming acorn fight. Learning how to whip an acorn, pignut or stone was most important. Going to the movies or to the local park for a summer event or to the skating rink in winter, all part of the childhood fun. Riding the Red Line, the trollies and the busses just to go to places in town you've never been. Beach days with the family or another family that invited you for the ride. Hiking through the hillsides, making forts or climbing at the rock pit. There was Dairy Dan the Ice Cream Man, local penny candy stores that actually had candy for a penny, soda fountains and ice cream shops. Hop scotch, jump ropes, climbing trees. In 1965 there was always something to do but somehow I managed to get bored from time to time. Then it was time to kick back and listen to the AM radio or watch your favorite program on a black and white tv. You could pick a program from one of the five available channels. Aahhh ! 1965 .......... Where were you in 65.
Posted on: 2009/8/9 12:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Fluff Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

Isn't there an old saying something along the lines 'if you remember the 60's, you weren't really there'. Eluding to everyone smoking Jamaican Marlborough's and being out of their heads!

Shouldn't you also have (if it hasn't been done before) a rider for each decade/period your going to mention like 'where were you when the JFK assassination news broke'?
Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:25

volzfan Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Hmmmm.........I was also a 4th grader-rising 5th grader in '65, but here in the south, we all went to public schools. Did a lot of the same things as any 10 year old, with the exception that I got my first golf club that summer. (yep...just one club, a Walter Hagen 5 iron....I still have it, hanging on my office wall) I have played golf ever since....not sure I've gotten much better at it, though. The highlight of '65 for me was the Bristol "NHRA Springnationals", the very 1st NHRA event in Bristol. I had a close, older cousin who had just gotten a job as a sportswriter for the Bristol paper, and he let me "tag along" while he covered the event! Got up close looks at many "later to be legends" (Garlits, Kalitta, Sox & Martin, etc.), and saw the original, AWB "Funny Cars". I'm still hooked on big time drag racing to this day! Later that year, my Vols went 8-1-2, thus launching another of my passions, which also continues on.
Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:41

1Fast04Vert Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I was taking night classes at college and working during the day at another college. I had my Malibu SS vert and weekend trips with friends to the Jersey shore or the ski slopes in PA about every week. I was only a year from enlisting in the USAF and marriage, but I didn't know it at the time.
Posted on: 2009/8/9 13:50

BillH Re: Where Were You In 1965?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

volzfan wrote:
The highlight of '65 for me was the Bristol "NHRA Springnationals", the very 1st NHRA event in Bristol. Got up close looks at many "later to be legends" (Garlits, Kalitta, Sox & Martin, etc.), and saw the original, AWB "Funny Cars". I'm still hooked on big time drag racing to this day!

That's cool. I might have been at that race.

I was in jr. high. I was already saving $$ for my first Vette which I got 4 year later.
I was on a drag race crew though I was just the gofer for the first 2 years. We ran a 60 Pontiac, C Stock, a 59 Corvette and a Willys. We went to Bristol a couple of times.
About all I remember from 65 was drag racing,waiting for my drivers license,waiting for the Vette and how boring the long tows (like to Bristol) were.
2 years later, the guy who ran the Pontiac bought one of the "Bounty Hunters", 65 Dodge from Bob Banning Dodge.

While that was going on my cousin Dave was running these, built by that "Grumpy" guy.

Attach file:

jpg  56848-500-0.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  OldReliable.jpg (0.00 KB)

jpg  strickler_york09.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:02

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
the ski slopes in PA about every week.

I remember those bumps, er, slopes. Skied most of them.

Which ones?
Posted on: 2009/8/9 14:05

PeteK Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I was just a gleam in my fathers eye.
Posted on: 2009/8/9 15:50

bogus Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

uh, being born.

However, things didn't change much for another 15 years.

Cable didn't arriv until 1980 for me. Up to that point, I had a half dozen channels, tho in color. We got all of our TV from Philly. Mom wouldn't install an antenna motor, so it was fixed north. It really shocked me when she decided to get cable!

My summer days were spent riding bikes around town. And not a single helmet was used!

The occasional ride to the DQ or something... that was rather rare because my Mom micromanaged my diet - or tried to - which meant rides to the DQ were really special. But I do remember going in the back of a pickup truck once or twice.

If the weather was wet, way too hot or after dark, I would build a plastic model. It was a main hobby of mine from when I was about 8 or so until I got into RC cars. I still dabble in both.

And yes, AM radio was still god until the late 1970s. It wasn't until my old favorite station decided to change formats and such that FM started to look good. I would listen to WFIL AM 56 out of Philly every evening and every morning. It wasn't until 1978 that I started listening to FM.

I got my first stereo in 1977. It was a standard POS one piece unit with crap speakers, a cassette, 8-track, tuner and record player. I could record from anything to cassette, but it wasn't a duel cassette unit. I had that until 1981. I literally wore it out! The cassette wasn't working quite right, IIRC. The speakers started getting all raspy sounding and harsh; I suspect the amp was dying. I can't really complain, it served me well.

Maybe it was because Delaware was a little behind the times and a little slow to catch up... but that was the world I grew up in.
Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:13

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TommyT-Bone Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Don't forget... Stay on topic ... Upcoming decades to follow. 75,85,95,05. You know I like extended topics. The year was 1965 ........... And you were .......?
Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:48

bogus Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

gee, sorry. I didn't realize there were rules here.
Posted on: 2009/8/9 16:50

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
gee, sorry. I didn't realize there were rules here.

Quote:

Tommy T wrote: If you weren't born yet, be patient. I'll catch up to you soon enough.

They're your rules Andy. Whatever you say goes. You can always pick up your game and go home or My comment was meant more to be informative than directive. All comments are welcome.
Posted on: 2009/8/9 18:41

Fluff Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

I was living in my 'home town' in Eastend of London.

Left my apprenticeship as a panel beater (body shop) for something that paid a bit better and went to work at the London Stock Exchange for the weekly wage of 4 pounds and 11 shillings (equiv. +/- $7.50 per week in todays money).

Bought my first real motorbike, a Triumph 350cc which became my first total strip-down/rebuild. My (later to become) wife lost her sister in a bike accident that year and my newly rebuilt Triumph got garaged and used very little, I have never been able to remember what eventually happened to it.
Posted on: 2009/8/9 18:47

volzfan Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
While that was going on my cousin Dave was running these, built by that "Grumpy" guy.

Wow........Dave Strickler is your cousin!?! I am awestruck! Now that is special...........I'd love to "listen in" to the war stories at one of your family get togethers! I've always been a big fan of those old Super Stockers!

Posted on: 2009/8/9 22:50

1Fast04Vert Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

Which ones?

I am not good on remembering the names, but basically NE PA in the Poconos. Big Boulder and Split Rock are two names that come to mind and another ?? near Tannersville. That was 44 years and more than a few beers ago.

Those were the days my friend,
We thought they would never end.
Posted on: 2009/8/9 23:34

Matatk Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
If you weren't born yet, be patient. I'll catch up to you soon enough.

In 1965 I was in the the 4th and later the 5th grade.

Don't you mean you were in 4th grade and later again in the 4th grade a second time?

I wasn't born yet, so let get moving on these decades.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/8/10 0:46

teebee Re: Where Were You In 1965?
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

Apparently I am the same age as Tommy and Volzfan. Yea, I was seeing the difference in the girls too. I was really into the Beatles at that time, trying to get my parents to let me grow my hair out, buy a pair of Beatle boots, Nehru collared shirts and a guitar. I didn't succeed at any of it. But I had a great collection of Beatle trading cards. I played baseball sponsored by this little known fast food place....McDonalds...after every game we went over to the "golden arches" and they gave us a burger, fries and a drink. Miss Little was my teacher (4th grade 64-65) and Mrs. Gleason was my 5th grade teacher.

I had my first ride in a Corvette that summer. My dad, a teacher, ran a "Play ground" for the recreation commission in the summer, and they had high school kids helping. This one girl that worked there was driving her brothers 63 SWC Riverside Red/black. He had been sent over to this weird named country as a soldier...Viet Nam, so she got to "take care of it". I hitched a ride one day I had to ride in the back end cargo area, but that hooked me.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 2:30

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

movnviolation Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Fluff

To answer your question about the statement " If you remember the sixties, you were not there!", that was Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane. Interesting lady. Look her up on the web.
I got married the first time in 65. The late fifties and early sixties were great, then turned to shit at about 64 on.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 4:51

vetted Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Guru Newb
10 Posts

WOW! Looks like I'm a bit more mature than most here.

The first half of 1966 I was still enjoying beautiful South Carolina courtesy of the United States Army.

Ater 22 June 1966 it was back to Western Pennsylvania were I purchased a used metalic yellow, black interior 1964 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport dual quad carburator 425 horse 409 coupled to a close ratio Muncie 4 speed feeding at a set of 456s that I couldn't keep in one piece, the 3rd time I replaced with 411 and never had another rear end problem.

Then to pay for it, insurance and the $0.29 per gallon gas, it got 6 MPG, I had to go back to work at my prior job at U S Steel National Works. Then got married Veterns Day 11 Nov 1966.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 6:29

vetted Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Guru Newb
10 Posts

Geeze, I can't read either. The year was 1965 and I gave my history for 1966....

1965 is easy US Army

Now why didn't you type 1965 the first time I looked at this post?
Posted on: 2009/8/10 6:33

Trae1976 Re: Where Were You In 1965?
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Posted on: 2009/8/10 11:11

Matatk Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

vetted wrote:

Now why didn't you type 1965 the first time I looked at this post?

Hehe...cause Tommy doesn't make anything easy
Posted on: 2009/8/10 11:27

Epimax Re: Where Were You In 1965?
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

uhhhh ...:binky:
I was 1yr old, that's all I know!
Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

volzfan wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Wow........Dave Strickler is your cousin!?! I am awestruck! Now that is special...........I'd love to "listen in" to the war stories at one of your family get togethers! I've always been a big fan of those old Super Stockers!

Dave passed on a while back.
I saw him more at the track than I did at family functions (more fun anyway). I met Bill Jenkins before he was too Grumpy......

It was busy, some weekends we'd hit two races.
York U.S.30, Hagerstown, 75&80, Morristown,etc.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:31

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

95vette wrote:

Which ones?

I am not good on remembering the names, but basically NE PA in the Poconos. Big Boulder and Split Rock are two names that come to mind and another ?? near Tannersville. That was 44 years and more than a few beers ago.

Those were the days my friend,
We thought they would never end.

Yea, I did an all nite ski at Big Boulder, I think. Never saw so many drunks on skis in my life.

The sking's better where I live now. There's 10+ slopes up at the lake, one is 15 minutes from the house.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:34

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

vetted wrote:

Ater 22 June 1966 it was back to Western Pennsylvania were I purchased a used metalic yellow, black interior 1964 Chevrolet Impala Super Sport dual quad carburator 425 horse 409 coupled to a close ratio Muncie 4 speed feeding at a set of 456s that I couldn't keep in one piece, the 3rd time I replaced with 411 and never had another rear end problem.

Cool, my first car back then was a 80 Impala, 348, 3 Duces, factory 4 speed.
Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:36

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Posted on: 2009/8/10 12:43

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

60, 80 only a 20 diff.

I shouldn't type anything at 6 a.m. :tongue:
Posted on: 2009/8/10 13:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.