Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
267 user(s) are online (231 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Coil over
The term coil over means having a coil spring coaxial with the shock absorber. In terms of a Corvette, it replaces the leaf spring.

[IMG]http:/...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

zoe6 I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Hi Guru's I'm the new owner of a high mileage ZO6. I have wanted a Corvette since my dad brought home his brand new 87 Corvette. I hope I'm doing this correctly. Probably by the name zoe6 you have figured out I'm a girl. However, before you jump to conclusions I had a very good teacher, my dad. I helped him rebuild a 1957 Apache pickup with a 350-350hp engine and a Muncie rock crusher four speed. My dad talks so highly of you guys and the help you have given him I just had to buy a Vette . Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time this fall to blog daily but I will consult your expertise when problems arise. I hope Vetron is behaving himself, he starts school next week! he has quite a background. Thanks guys look forward to contributing to your group. Erin
Posted on: 2010/8/19 1:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Welcome aboard, Erin, and congrats on your new Z06! Your dad says the car is quite a beast - looking forward to seeing some pics, and hope it treats you well.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 1:51

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

zoe6 Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Welcome aboard, Erin, and congrats on your new Z06! Your dad says the car is quite a beast - looking forward to seeing some pics, and hope it treats you well.

Thanks I will post pics as soon as I detail the exterior. My dads outside now trying different compounds to clean up the tar. The previous owner was a medical sales rep and put on a lot miles. I have tomorrow off so I will invade dad's shop a begin the process of bringing Zoe back to prime condition. Good night!
Posted on: 2010/8/19 2:12

TommyT-Bone Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Welcome to your extended Corvette family. Sorry, but I'm one of the dysfunctional members. Every family has at least one. I'm sure you will find this site helpful. This place is far less expensive than therapy.

Attach file:

jpg  Dance Time.jpg (118.95 KB)
852_4c6c931b3ff9a.jpg 400X565 px
Posted on: 2010/8/19 2:13

Matatk Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Welcome aboard!

Watch out for Tommy. He's like the Uncle Larry that every family has, but no one admits to

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/8/19 2:16

zoe6 Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Senior Guru
Northern Indiana
167 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Welcome to your extended Corvette family. Sorry, but I'm one of the dysfunctional members. Every family has at least one. I'm sure you will find this site helpful. This place is far less expensive than therapy.

My dad told me all about you Tommy! Dad told me that he was the dysfunctional one and you and BillH were the normal ones. Nice meeting you Tommy! Have a wonderful night guys!
Opps gotta get going dad's coming in from the garage and my collie getting antz to go home. Erin
Posted on: 2010/8/19 2:20

1Fast04Vert Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Welcome to our group. Tommy must like you already, that is the very first time he has posted a picture of himself. Can you believe he was actually sober when they took his picture? After seeing that all of our Vettes and pets look much better, another reason we appreciate Tommy. Speaking of pictures I also am looking forward to the pics of our new Z06.
Andy
Posted on: 2010/8/19 2:38

Vetron87 Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I'm glad you joined Erin. So thats what you were doing when I was outside trying to get the tar off your car!
Posted on: 2010/8/19 2:51

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

LMAO
Posted on: 2010/8/19 2:54

pianoguy Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I recall removing tar from my old white Lincoln with WD-40 - worked pretty good.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 2:58

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
I recall removing tar from my old white Lincoln with WD-40 - worked pretty good.

Brad I tryed Goo off, WD-40, Goo-gone, and road and tar stuff. Tar is embedded into the clear coat. PB Blaster worked well with a follow up with WD-40. I have to becareful of not eating through the clear coat. Once I removed a small section of tar the paint looks good. She has a big project ahead of her.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 3:14

teebee Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12367 Posts

Welcome aboard, Erin.....Your dad is quite the character, I'm afraid that I have a bit in common with him. I'm assuming that you take after your dad about the way my daughters take after me........spooky thought.

Ron, have you tried a bit of mineral spirits? Shouldn't hurt the paint.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 3:31

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Excellent idea Tom. I didn't have any in the garage. I will get some tomorrow, Thanks, I'm getting punchy! long day. My daughter takes after me a lot. Motivated and conservative. I bought her a pair of mechanics gloves to protect her nails and so she would not go into her medical lab with grease stained hands, not very lady like.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 3:41

X-FIRE Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Senior Guru
Ohio
104 Posts

Welcome aboard Erin. This a pretty informative site. I don't post much here, but do like to read and learn. Don't know how far you guys are from Carmel, IN., but there is vette show there this week-end on Saturday. Hope to see you there if your able..Again Welcome to the forum...
Posted on: 2010/8/19 3:47

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12367 Posts

Sounds like Erin is a bit more like you than my daughters are of me. I've got a couple who will change oil in their vehicles, wash them, and are motivated, but unfortunately, two of them are a bit more liberal than I, one way liberal. Me, I'm pretty conservative.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 3:51

Resized Image

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

She is perceptive of others, listens, blends in, not opinionated, but will not compromise her values. Not that liberal thinking is wrong she has liberal ideas too but she does see the bigger picture. She never takes anything for granted, worries too much about me and my agressive work ethic. I think thats normal in daughters.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 4:02

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12367 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
She is perceptive of others, listens, blends in, not opinionated, but will not compromise her values. Not that liberal thinking is wrong she has liberal ideas too but she does see the bigger picture. She never takes anything for granted, worries too much about me and my agressive work ethic. I think thats normal in daughters.

Sounds familiar.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 4:05

Resized Image

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I think there is a defining moment that brings parent and offspring closer. For Erin its when she learned exactly what I did in the Navy and Vietnam. She didn't learn it from me but an article that was published while she was at Purdue. I think what she walked away from her discovery was freedom is not free and people are willing to sacrifice everything to protect it. So ultimately it answered for her why I teach. I'm getting wordy!
Posted on: 2010/8/19 4:17

CentralCoaster Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Welcome. Show some pics of the new ride when you get a chance. No z06 owners here, we all have POS C4s. The sad part is we probably have more money into them than you do and yet nothing to show for it.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 6:10

Matatk Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

Brad I tryed Goo off, WD-40, Goo-gone, and road and tar stuff. Tar is embedded into the clear coat. PB Blaster worked well with a follow up with WD-40.

I've used WD-40 on the stuff that wasn't hardened from lots of sun and driving. Other than that I have some bug and tar remover that worked well. Of course, the only thing that really gets it off is elbow grease

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/8/19 11:40

biggrizzly Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Welcome Erin! ++ On the mineral spirits. That should take off any normal tar or asphalt!
Get some pics up as soon as you get that thing cleaned up!
Welcome to the madness!
Posted on: 2010/8/19 12:12

Trae1976 Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Welcome!
Posted on: 2010/8/19 12:29

BillH Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

zoe6 wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

My dad told me all about you Tommy! Dad told me that he was the dysfunctional one and you and BillH were the normal ones. Nice meeting you Tommy! Have a wonderful night guys!
Opps gotta get going dad's coming in from the garage and my collie getting antz to go home. Erin

Your dad's half right, at least the first part. Tommy? well, err, aaa, never mind. And I've never been even close to normal.

Welcome, Erin. Don't even give a thought to the girl thing, we have girls here, like Vetteblondie, that know their way around a wrench.

Your dad does good work, I'd use him as much as you can get away with.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 13:10

BillH Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

Brad I tryed Goo off, WD-40, Goo-gone, and road and tar stuff. Tar is embedded into the clear coat. PB Blaster worked well with a follow up with WD-40. I have to becareful of not eating through the clear coat. Once I removed a small section of tar the paint looks good. She has a big project ahead of her.

+ 1 on the mineral spirits.
I may be saying the obvious but, for old tar, the solvent has to sit on it for a while. I use a brush, paint it on and keep it wet until the tar loosens up. That way you put fewer swirl marks in the clear.

Clay bar next of course.
Posted on: 2010/8/19 13:14

bogus Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Erin, welcome to our little group... we try to put the "fun" back into disfunctional.

I am, if nothing else, the enabler for this place... Can't say I am entirely nuts, but I don't think I am all that sorted, either!

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new car!

Highway miles are the best kind, really. No real wear to the driveline. I had a 94 Prelude that had 175k miles on it when I sold it in 2000, and it was about as tight as they come when it left.

Same with my 92 Vette... I bought it in 2000 with 39k on it, and now it has 175k (will turn today!). Still stout and doesn't burn a lick of oil.

It's not like the old days where fan belts were kept in the trunk because they broke ever 10k miles... or fan blades blew off out of random hatred for centrifugal forces... or radiators that sprung a leak cause a stone got in there... or a set of points seized up...

Things have improved... and having a car with over 100k miles isn't abnormal anymore.

Again, WELCOME!!!!

Posted on: 2010/8/19 18:38

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Ultraman Re: I hope I'm doing this correctly!
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing your new ride.
Posted on: 2010/8/20 2:32

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.