Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
288 user(s) are online (253 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

DaleD Going to the dark side?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I'm thinking about buying a new toy this spring. I'm looking around $15k, with some flex if needed. Anyway, I've noticed something. A used Mustang is much cheaper than a used Corvette of similar capabilities. Before you beat me up... I know, a Corvette costs more when new. A Mustang isn't as capable in terms of handling. I get it.

But for an old fart like me, who likes to drive fast on occasion, but I'm not a racer, there seems to be more bang for the buck. People who are trying to sell Corvettes seem to be very proud of what they have.

I guess I'm looking for input. I know there's something special about a Corvette that a Mustang doesn't have. But I can get a low mile, v8 Mustang GT vert with 45k for $13k, (or less).
Posted on: 2012/1/26 18:52

bogus Re: Going to the dark side?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

There is no question that the Mustang has a bang/buck value.

However, no matter how you cut it, it still isn't in the same league, regardless of how much they charge for one.

They keep trying to hit the Vette with the Stang, but can't.

As such, you will always be seen as the old dude in the 'stang. Whereas if you had the Vette, it would look appropriate.

With all that said, the later mustangs aren't bad cars. Just don't expect Corvette handling dynamics and you'll be fine.

If it was my money, I would look for the best C4 I could afford. And with $15k, you are getting into nice 1996 LT4 territory. You are also getting into low mileage C5 territory, too.

When it comes right down to it, I am Mustang neutral, really. I like some, don't like others. It's all rather vague...
Posted on: 2012/1/26 19:15

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: Going to the dark side?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

If it was my money, I would look for the best C4 I could afford. And with $15k, you are getting into nice 1996 LT4 territory. You are also getting into low mileage C5 territory, too.

When it comes right down to it, I am Mustang neutral, really. I like some, don't like others. It's all rather vague...

I've always been a "GM guy", until the recent meltdown of GM, how they handled the Impala owners, etc. Through that crisis I admired how Ford handled themselves. I know that has nothing to do with the cars in question, it just makes me accept Fords more now.

I've been looking at late C4s, and early C5s. I've noticed that the C5 owners are more in the mode of seeing their cars as just cars. Where the C4 owners think they have collector's items, (in general). The C5s seem to be a better value.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 19:30

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

with your mindset, a 96 LT4 could almost be an investment grade car. They have all the makings of being a collectible and if you buy and drive it as stock, in 5-8 years, you could resell for what you pay today, if not make a couple of bucks.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 19:44

TommyT-Bone Re: Going to the dark side?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Are you talking in a straight line or the twisties Dale?
To me there is little comparison. Two seats vs four. Just look at the two side by side and consider the weight difference. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a fun car. I'm saying it ain't no Corvette. I could see if you had a wife and a couple of kids. Then it makes perfect sense. What about a Camaro? That's more comparable.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 19:54

KPotter Re: Going to the dark side?
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Dale, would this interest you ?

http://www.ronmarhoferchevy.com/Vehic ... dr_Cpe-Stow-OH/1564321273

I have looked at the car and it is really clean. Only drawback is the automatic.

The midnight blue is really sharp.

Car has had 4 owners, started life as a fleet vehicle in Ohio, sold and went to Georgia, then I believe to PA and now is back in Ohio.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 19:54

Ultraman Re: Going to the dark side?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

There should be quite a few C5's out there in that price range from 60K miles on up. Mine had 83K miles and I paid 14K and it has a lot of options. I did put 1000 dollars of new rubber on it but I wanted run flats. LS power is fun and should run rings around the 300 hp Mustangs. Not that you would ever race one.......

They completely reinvented the car when the C5 came about....it wasn't just a new dress on an old girlfriend. I would look in that direction and see if you couldn't find one to test drive.....you will be suprised how much you will like it! Good luck!
Posted on: 2012/1/26 19:55

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

Are you talking in a straight line or the twisties Dale?
To me there is little comparison. Two seats vs four. ... What about a Camaro? That's more comparable.

Both are fun, and no doubt a Mustang isn't going to do what a Corvette can in the turns. Straight line would be much closer. Mustangs are surprisingly sleek. About 3500lbs. My 87 C4 was about 3250lbs.

Haven't looked at the Camaro. A new one is out, not a fan of the new style, sorry, it's just me. If I want a Challenger, I'll buy one. The early 2000s Camaro, I haven't really looked for any. Might do that. No rush.

Thanks.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 20:09

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

KPotter wrote:

I have looked at the car and it is really clean. Only drawback is the automatic.

Car has had 4 owners, started life as a fleet vehicle in Ohio, sold and went to Georgia, then I believe to PA and now is back in Ohio.

See, that's what I'm talking about. 99 Vette with 73k miles for $16k. That's about what people are asking for a similar 95-96 Vette. I don't understand that.

I will have to take a look at that one this weekend.
BTW, that's the color scheme of my Acura TL.

Thanks.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 20:11

EngineDoctor Re: Going to the dark side?
Master Guru
La Habra Ca.
791 Posts

I like them both... My daily driver is a 96 Mustang GT 5 speeed , convertible.It is a lot of fun! My Corvette on the other hand is an investment/weekend warrior.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 20:40

BillH Re: Going to the dark side?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

With all that said, the later mustangs aren't bad cars. Just don't expect Corvette handling dynamics and you'll be fine.

Depends on whether you're talking C4 or C5. Some of the new Mustangs will out handle a C4.

I've been on the track in 4 or 5 different ones.

Buy wnat you want Dale.

For me, it's a no-brainer, I'd be in a C5.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 21:06

tjpreul Re: Going to the dark side?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:

Haven't looked at the Camaro. A new one is out, not a fan of the new style, sorry, it's just me. If I want a Challenger, I'll buy one. The early 2000s Camaro, I haven't really looked for any. Might do that. No rush.

Thanks.

I was looking at the early 2000 Camaro's yesterday. There was one for 7k at a dealer with around 80k miles. This would be my choice.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 21:11

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

KPotter wrote:

See, that's what I'm talking about. 99 Vette with 73k miles for $16k. That's about what people are asking for a similar 95-96 Vette. I don't understand that.

I will have to take a look at that one this weekend.
BTW, that's the color scheme of my Acura TL.

Thanks.

You can do much better than that if you look around a bit...mine is an 02 for what I paid. Dealers will be the highest priced.....I'm not a Ford guy....
Posted on: 2012/1/26 22:00

JDSWHITE93 Re: Going to the dark side?
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

My car will be for sale shortly. I will sell it for 12K best deal EVER.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 22:52

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

We had a late model Shelby and a GT at the autocross on Sunday. Woof. Woof. Another guys regular ride sprung a leak so he came back with his C6. He only beat me by about a second. The weight makes a difference in the corners but they could juice the striaghts.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 23:01

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have always wanted to build a fast Miata...

Start with the earliest Miata - 1990/91, rust free.

Add a turbo to the larger 2.0 engine. That should push over 250hp.

Later model 6spd manual.

RX7 LSD rear diff.

Bigger brakes.

Still be under 2100 lbs. Suck on those exhaust vapours.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 23:29

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Miata's can move on an autocross track. I'll post some numbers later to prove it. Even just putzin around the street, they have a sheltered go-cart appeal. Course, you have to be thick skinned to own one.
Posted on: 2012/1/26 23:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Check this site, Dale:

http://www.vettefinders.com/

Also, check ebay and craigslist. There is a site that consolidates all the craigslists together, pretty clever:

http://www.allofcraigs.com/

Don't forget the all time fave, www.autotrader.com - that's where I found my 92.

This thing is, you are limiting your search, just like last time. You seem to want to find something within 20 miles, but trust me, you are really restricting your options.

When I went shopping for my Vette, I had the entire eastern seaboard from NJ south to FL and west to Ohio.

I avoided most of the Gulf States - they get hit with hurricanes much more frequently than FL does. So southern Alabama, Miss, Louisiana, and Southeast Tx are off limits.

I didn't want to go much farther west than the Mississippi, and stopped in the mid-west. I was a bit concerned with winter roads, but since I am now certain that 90% of the Vettes get winter time-out, I am less worried.

Besides, the stainless steel chassis on the C4 isn't prone to rusting out. My greater concern was water damage leading to electrical gremlins.

I ended up finding mine as a private sale in Cherry Hill, NJ. It was about 90 miles from home. Ken actually drove me up there to get it (we both worked in Wilmington at the time).

Also, be damned sure you get what you want. You were blinded by a nice looker last time... and that's fine, but you found out it wasn't what you REALLY wanted... considering you went in looking for a 92+ with 6spd, and ended up with an 87 A4. That's pretty different. Please, don't make that mistake again... if only for your own sanity.

C5s are actually easy to work on. Lots of bolts, yea, but just better laid out. Jason at Vette2Vette told me it takes 3 guys nearly a work week to strip and catalog a C4. It takes 2 guys 2 days to do the same thing with a C5.

One huge advantage to the C5 is that they never really changed it. Sure, they revised things, improved this and that, but jeez, no 2 years on the C4 are the same! There was constant evolution and change. On the C5, all hard parts are the same and are interchangeable. All tops swap, all brake parts swap... the list goes on. Even some of the hard parts on the C6 can be used on the C5.

To effectively own a C4, you need to know the nuances, to help your parts guy do his thing best.

The other upside to the C5 and C6, they are just late model used... as such, if you wish to personalize, there are tons of options... just tons. And the car responds to both audio and performance upgrades so much better than the C4.

Posted on: 2012/1/26 23:44

Huskerland
14746 Posts

In the book I'm reading it said that there are 1200 more parts in a C4 than a C5. That was partly responsible for them being able to offer the C5 at the same money as the C4 back in 97. I thought that was an interesting fact.......
Posted on: 2012/1/27 1:22

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Also, be damned sure you get what you want. You were blinded by a nice looker last time... and that's fine, but you found out it wasn't what you REALLY wanted... considering you went in looking for a 92+ with 6spd, and ended up with an 87 A4. That's pretty different. Please, don't make that mistake again... if only for your own sanity.

Thanks Andy.

I actually started looking 92, but I got spooked by the opti-spark, and decided that an L98 would be a nice reliable choice. The only thing I got right is that an a4 is better than a 4+3. Wrong and wrong. Live and learn.

What got me most last time was I just had the fevor. I wanted it, and wanted it now. I'm a lot more deliberate this time.

I wouldn't rule out a c4, but most guys want c5 money for their c4. If I can get a decent mid mileage c5 for $16k, why would I spend $14k on a high mileage c4?

Mustangs intrigue me. There are lots of them out there. My buddy has an 07 GT and it's a pretty darn nice car.

I am looking close to home, but I'm not beating the bushes. I'm just casually looking at what pops up.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 3:54

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I cannot reinforce the importance of looking farther afield. You live in an area with limited inventory and the associated higher prices.

Do yourself the favor... if you see something in another part of the country, see if a Guru is nearby to check it out. I can do pretty much the entire LA Basin - from the Grapevine to Irvine and inland to the 15. If you see a car in LA, I will be more than happy to check it out.

Oh, case in point... last year, there was a 93 coupe, 6spd, LT1, under 100k, STRIPPY! It had cloth seats, base Delco, manual climate controls... all for $7500. If I had the $$ and the space... it woulda been mine.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 6:18

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

oh, and don't let the opti scare you. They have their issues, but the LT1 is inherently a better layout than the L98. And the ZF6 kicks ass, period. It's one of the BEST gearboxes ever put into a production car.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 6:18

pappyfreebird Re: Going to the dark side?
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

Posted on: 2012/1/27 12:30

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Had to post a couple of these..........

Posted on: 2012/1/27 13:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I cannot reinforce the importance of looking farther afield. You live in an area with limited inventory and the associated higher prices.

+1

I looked at 20+ C4's, drove 150 miles and trailered it hole in a U-Haul. Best thing I ever did was to insoect all those cars and wait for the right one no matter where it was.

I looked on AutoTrader in 44221, the prices there are $4 to $5k higher (C5) than some other places.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 14:21

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

+1

I looked at 20+ C4's, drove 150 miles and trailered it hole in a U-Haul. Best thing I ever did was to insoect all those cars and wait for the right one no matter where it was.

I looked on AutoTrader in 44221, the prices there are $4 to $5k higher (C5) than some other places.

Thanks Bill.
Do you think the prime places to find a C5 are warm weather states?
Posted on: 2012/1/27 14:49

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote: Thanks Bill. Do you think the prime places to find a C5 are warm weather states?
Ya know, Dale that's tough to answer. I'd look possibily in larger cities, I'd look where there are a large number of Corvettes. Example, when I was c4 shopping, I looked around Reno/Carson City for a month, few cars, either crappy or high priced. So, I started looking in Sacramento & the Bay Area (150 miles one way). I found 6 cars that met my criteria easily, planned an overnite inspection trip but got lucky with the first one on my list. Sidenote: After looking at over 20 cars, I did find a good one, I did put on an opti and alternator BUT, in the last 4 years, I haven't had to fix anything, I just drive it. I did pay $1,500 more than my "top price" but that was well worth it. I spent 3 months looking - it was worth the effort. Anyway, the right C5's out there. I see good prices sometimes, high prices sometimes. just looked here, only 5 -99 to 2004's listed, 2 at $15 to $18,000. If I went to Ca., there would be tons I'm sure. So, I looked up the first Pittsburg Zip which Upper Mifflin but 2000 with 42,000 mi. @ $17,999 and it's a private owner (the best way to go IMO.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp ... ist=12&standard=false

So, that one's $2k over your price range but 42k mi and a private owner. Just sayn'  that they're out there.

The warm weather thing's not that big a deal as most Vettes aren't on the salted roads.

Higher populations=more cars, more cars= lower prices. JMO again.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 15:31

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Another example Dale.

I looked  in Reno - 5 cars, 99-2004.

Just looked in Sacramento - 34 Vetts for sale.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 15:34

Matatk Re: Going to the dark side?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

If I were getting out of corvettes and wanted a 4 seat sports car, the mustang is nice, but I'd get a 2002 Trans Am WS6 ram air. Just me.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 15:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Posted on: 2012/1/27 15:56

JDSWHITE93 Re: Going to the dark side?
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

PM Sent
Posted on: 2012/1/27 16:01

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Posted on: 2012/1/27 16:12

pianoguy Re: Going to the dark side?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Looks like a pretty decent price to me. Appears that the seats have been re-covered.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 16:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

JeffK Re: Going to the dark side?
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Come on over..the water's fine Seriously though, if I didn't have the kids (yes, they fit in the back seat) then I would have looked at C5's. The new Camaros are rediculously over-priced in my opinion.

Attach file:

jpg  My mustang.jpg (204.23 KB)
2852_4f22d116e9847.jpg 800X600 px
Posted on: 2012/1/27 16:24

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

So, Dale, have you ever been in the Thirsty Dog?  evil4

Posted on: 2012/1/27 16:26

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

The restaurant in Montrose? You bet!

A guy I golf with owns the building next to their brewery on Grant Street.

Good beer, the only one that isn't so hot is that Siberian Knight. Holy cow, that stuff is like used motor oil.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 16:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

The restaurant in Montrose? You bet!

A guy I golf with owns the building next to their brewery on Grant Street.

Good beer, the only one that isn't so hot is that Siberian Knight. Holy cow, that stuff is like used motor oil.

I was lookin for an Ohio map and just saw that., I like the name.

I'm done "Chasing Classic Cars' for a while. i have to go sand fiberglass on my classic car.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 16:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

That's clean looking. I like the updated rims. A little higher on the price curve, but for the lower miles, updated rims, and overall sweet condition, well worth the extra $1000 or so.

Well worth it.

Oh, and Bill, talk about a link!!!! it about filled my editor box!

I just relooked... it is really clean. Akron is real close, too... Hey, Ken, check this one out!!! If Dale bails, this could be what you are looking for!

Regardless, run CARFAX on it.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 17:08

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
That's clean looking. I like the updated rims. A little higher on the price curve, but for the lower miles, updated rims, and overall sweet condition, well worth the extra $1000 or so.

Well worth it.

I just relooked... it is really clean. Akron is real close, too... Hey, Ken, check this one out!!! If Dale bails, this could be what you are looking for!

Yea, Carfax always.

Best thing - private seller. If you could get it for $16???

Note the descriprion, always garaged, upgrades, in the rain twice.

This is the way my 92 was, heated garage, all receipts, new clutch & dual mass with 3k on them, etc.

You may pay a few bucks more private but you're gettinh histroy and an owner that took extremely good care of the car.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 18:07

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

that's my thinking.
Posted on: 2012/1/27 22:07

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
If I were getting out of corvettes and wanted a 4 seat sports car, the mustang is nice, but I'd get a 2002 Trans Am WS6 ram air. Just me.

I love the power train. Hate the look. If i were getting out of Corvettes I might look at a Porsche 911 or a broke down 928. [jk]
Posted on: 2012/1/28 1:29

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
If i were getting out of Corvettes

If i were getting out of Corvettes ..............I'd be stepping into a casket.
Posted on: 2012/1/28 1:32

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

let the images do the talking

Attach file:

jpg  mustang.jpg (106.57 KB)
852_4f2350fe26354.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  2002.jpg (31.17 KB)
852_4f23510bd662f.jpg 440X330 px
Posted on: 2012/1/28 1:36

KPotter Re: Going to the dark side?
Elite Guru
Cuyahoga Falls OH
1072 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Well worth it.

Very nice but not for me. The silver just doesn't cut it.
Posted on: 2012/1/28 2:44

Matatk Re: Going to the dark side?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

I love the power train. Hate the look. If i were getting out of Corvettes I might look at a Porsche 911 or a broke down 928. [jk]

Sorry...I disagree! That car says "I'm mean and I'm coming to kick your ass!"

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/1/28 3:34

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

It's fine to disagree. I think GM missed a big opportunity with the Camaro/Trans Am series at that time. I've tried to like it but just can't. The lines IMO missed the boat for a legendary body design. I wasn't a big C4 fan either at first but it grew on me. Like I mentioned, the drivability is anothern issue completely. I had a 79 T/A so maybe that's where my bias comes from.
Posted on: 2012/1/28 4:00

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Attach file:

jpg  Trans_Am_Family.jpg (106.05 KB)
852_4f2373b7784fb.jpg 604X453 px
Posted on: 2012/1/28 4:04

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Uhhh Matt......sorry but I think that looks like the batmobile......I was not a fan of those years Camaros or T/A's either......Now I do like the new Camaro a lot but Vettes are top of the line for me.......just saying...
Posted on: 2012/1/28 4:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Possilbly the designers may have drawn inspiration from this fine animal.

Attach file:

jpg  proboscus monkey.jpg (25.97 KB)
852_4f237565612ef.jpg 600X326 px

jpg  Proboscus.jpg (71.54 KB)
852_4f2375744e876.jpg 640X426 px
Posted on: 2012/1/28 4:11

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

let the images do the talking

now those are classic lines.....and the Vette ain't bad either........
Posted on: 2012/1/28 4:13

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.