Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
307 user(s) are online (262 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Shark
Any Corvette from model year 1968 to 1982 is loosely referred to as a Shark. Stemming from the Mako concepts and a general acceptance that the C3 lo...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

94z07 That other movie
Guru
94 Posts

Post up a movie that you think we should see but not a movie that everyone has probably seen already. I think we've all seen Empire Strikes Back and done the frame by frame bit for the metal bikini scene. So what movie did you like that kinda sneaked under the radar?

I'll kick things off with Mr. Frost and Warlock.
Posted on: 2008/1/19 19:13

bastet44 RE:That other movie
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

I love Real Genius but I don't know how many folks have seen it. There are so many familiar faces in it, including William Atherton who is so good at playing a jerk. Love Val Kilmer. And the comeuppance at the end is brilliant!

Posted on: 2008/1/19 20:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious RE:That other movie
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

The Gardener starring Peter Sellers. It was a very rare, generally non-comedy performance for him.
North Dallas Forty, for the guys, especially football fans.
And also, although I assume many here have seen it, but since there are so many here much younger than I, Animal House. One of the best comedies ever, featuring John Belushi at his best!
Also, speaking of comedy and Peter Sellers, all of The Pink Panther series are great, except for the last one during which the making of, Peter Sellers died. They finished the movie anyways, but should not have. Also there was an attempt of a remake of the series during the early/mid 90s featuring some hack actor as Seller's character, Inspector Clouseau. It was beyond pathetic. BTW, the only Pink Panther movie that didn't have "Pink Panther" in the title was the first one. It was entitled "A Shot in the Dark" and is every bit as hilarious as the others.
Posted on: 2008/1/19 21:02

tobijohn RE:That other movie
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
The Gardener starring Peter Sellers. It was a very rare, generally non-comedy performance for him...

Are you refering to "Being There" where he's a simpleton gardener who ends up becoming an unofficial adviser to the President? I loved that movie. Another one of his I thought was hysterical was "The Party" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063415/ ).

I don't know if it's considered off the beaten path since the Coen brothers went mainstream but "Raising Arizona" is one of my all time favorites. The remake of "Heaven Can Wait" with Warren Beatty might have been popular when it was released but I don't remember. "Ghost Dog" with Forrest Whitaker, "Dummy" with Adrien Brody, "Napoleon Dynamite", an early Johnny Depp movie "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", Swingers" and "Made Men" are a few films that leap out at me that far exceeded my expectations for them. There are a bunch more but I've got to give it some additional thought...
Posted on: 2008/1/20 14:12

AIRFOIL FREE!

Notorious RE:That other movie
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Are you refering to "Being There" where he's a simpleton gardener who ends up becoming an unofficial adviser to the President? I loved that movie. Another one of his I thought was hysterical was "The Party" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063415/ ).

Yes that's it. For some reason I was thinking it was called The Gardener, thanks for the correction. Yes, The Party was quite an offbeat piece too. I enjoyed it. Speaking of the Coen Bros., I loved Fargo. The first time I saw it I was still married to my second wife. When the movie was over, I said to her, "That was hilarious!" She looked at me incredulously and said, "What was so funny about it?" She went to bed and I watched it again. She never understood dark humor at all and usually didn't get my sometimes warped sense of humor either.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 14:55

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
...Speaking of the Coen Bros., I loved Fargo. The first time I saw it I was still married to my second wife. When the movie was over, I said to her, "That was hilarious!" She looked at me incredulously and said, "What was so funny about it?" She went to bed and I watched it again. She never understood dark humor at all and usually didn't get my sometimes warped sense of humor either.

I saw it too and thought it was pretty unsettling. Those movies where an ordinary guy living an ordinary life has it spin suddenly and completely out of control creep me out. Maybe because I could see how, without too much difficulty, the same thing could happen to me. Another movie that falls into that category is "A Simple Plan". Those two movies got me almost as weirded out as the king in the Burger King commercials does...
Posted on: 2008/1/20 15:11

pianoguy RE:That other movie
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The Trinity movies from back in the '70s were hilarious, some great sight gags. Here's one of my favorite clips:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qwiScdPiRW4
Posted on: 2008/1/20 16:24

Mr_Mojo RE:That other movie
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

Posted on: 2008/1/20 16:28

CentralCoaster RE:That other movie
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

From the new movies, it's hard to pick because most of them suck.

I'd recommend Sweeny Todd, with johnny depp in it. Violent/creative/musical type movie. Very well composed. Great for a date (not first date tho), or with friends, but not for young children.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 21:32

CentralCoaster RE:That other movie
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Another I'll have to watch again is Tenacious D, but this time I won't smoke so much that I fall asleep halfway through. Jack Black is an interesting SOB.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 21:33

SpectatorRacing RE:That other movie
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
Another I'll have to watch again is Tenacious D, but this time I won't smoke so much that I fall asleep halfway through. Jack Black is an interesting SOB.

Yeah, nicotine will do that to ya :angel7:

Let's not forget Fight Club and American Psycho. Fantastic and sardonic testaments as to why most people suck...they completely miss the point of life by caring more about what everyone else thinks of them.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 21:44

AdvancedAutoCC RE:That other movie
Guru Newb
Cape Coral, FL
6 Posts

hmmm, how about "No Man's Land"... the inspiration for BOTH "Point Break" and (ugh) "The Fast and the Furious"

Nobody knows about that one... made in 1987, starring Charlie Sheen (made around the time of "The Wraith"... another guilty pleasure).
Posted on: 2008/1/24 22:05

bomar76 RE:That other movie
Guru Newb
Marysville Ohio
37 Posts

In no paticular order:

1. The Getaway
2. The ORIGINAL Ocean's 11
3. The Longest Day
4. High Plains Drifter
5. Bullitt
6. Play Misty For Me
7. The Long, Long Trailer
8. Easy Rider
9. The French Connection
10. Rosemary's Baby
Posted on: 2008/1/25 0:19

Lichen RE:That other movie
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

I love most of the movies mentioned. But back to Peter Sellers. Check out "The Magic Christian" starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr. Made in the late '60's. It's a mind-blower. Plus nobody has mentioned "Pulp Fiction" or a lot of Alfred Hitchcock movies, and the really campy "Natural Born Killers" with Woody Harrelson (it's so bad, it's almost good).
Posted on: 2008/1/25 1:48

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
I...Check out "The Magic Christian" starring Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr. Made in the late '60's. It's a mind-blower...

As was and is "Performance" with Mick Jagger. He's also in another neat flick with Andy Garcia that was under the radar "The Man from Elyssian Fields"...
Posted on: 2008/1/25 1:59

jrzvette RE:That other movie
Guru
new jersey
73 Posts

Quote:
BTW, the only Pink Panther movie that didn't have "Pink Panther" in the title was the first one. It was entitled "A Shot in the Dark" and is every bit as hilarious as the others.

"A Shot in the Dark" was the second Pink Panther movie, 1964. "The Pink Panther" was released in 1963.

While we're talking about Peter Sellers don't forget "Dr. Strangelove".

Two of my favorites:

"Bullitt" possibly the best car chase on film (even though it is a Mustang)

"Once Upon a Time in the West" the king of the spaghetti westerns. Henry Fonda as a psychopathic hired gun.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 3:39

94z07 RE:That other movie
Guru
94 Posts

The talk about Bullet and the best car chase kicked of a random thought. I think one of the best scenes in any movie was the foot chase at the beginning of Octapussy. The double O agent dressed as a clown running for all he's worth, wounded, past the point of complete exhaustion, but he won't quit until his mission is complete. He makes it into the British embasy and then it's as if his mind tells his body it's ok to die now. I loved that scene.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 3:58

Steve40th RE:That other movie
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Boondock Saints
Posted on: 2008/1/25 3:58

Klaus RE:That other movie
Guru
Atlanta, GA
129 Posts

Posted on: 2008/1/25 4:20

2008 Machine Silver Coupe
LS3 / Z51 / A6 / NPP

bogus RE:That other movie
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The Wild Geese and Vanishing Point are classics.

My list:

Grand Prix
Usual Suspects
The Gum Ball Rally
Gone in Sixty Seconds (original)
Le Mans

I can't think of anything else at this point.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 5:12

Oaklands RE:That other movie
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Everybody should watch "Sling Blade" with Billy Bob Thornton. Mmmm love them french fried taters and mustard....
Posted on: 2008/1/25 5:50

Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
Everybody should watch "Sling Blade" with Billy Bob Thornton. Mmmm love them french fried taters and mustard....

How did I forget The Usual Suspects and Slingblade?
Posted on: 2008/1/25 11:20

runner140 RE:That other movie
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Quote:
The Gardener starring Peter Sellers. It was a very rare, generally non-comedy performance for him.
North Dallas Forty, for the guys, especially football fans.
And also, although I assume many here have seen it, but since there are so many here much younger than I, Animal House. One of the best comedies ever, featuring John Belushi at his best!
Also, speaking of comedy and Peter Sellers, all of The Pink Panther series are great, except for the last one during which the making of, Peter Sellers died. They finished the movie anyways, but should not have. Also there was an attempt of a remake of the series during the early/mid 90s featuring some hack actor as Seller's character, Inspector Clouseau. It was beyond pathetic. BTW, the only Pink Panther movie that didn't have "Pink Panther" in the title was the first one. It was entitled "A Shot in the Dark" and is every bit as hilarious as the others.

Saw it last week, it was a recommendation from one of the guys at the office..so good, I got my wife to watch it. :thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/1/25 12:38

AdvancedAutoCC RE:That other movie
Guru Newb
Cape Coral, FL
6 Posts

Quote:

"I hit 'im with the sharp edge and plumb near cut his head off... mmmm hmm."
Posted on: 2008/1/25 14:39

jrzvette RE:That other movie
Guru
new jersey
73 Posts

Add to my list "Patton". If only for George C. Scott's opening speach.
Posted on: 2008/1/25 22:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.