Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
324 user(s) are online (272 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Liter
Metric unit of measure. In the case of engine displacement, it measures the total volume of all combustion chambers. Therefore in a 5.7L V8, each cha...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster LOL, my GF is stupid!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

She said she had a bad wobbling noise on her car a few days ago, so I told her to park it and ride her motorcycle until I have time to check it out this weekend.

So I get a call this evening, "Hi, my uhh wheel fell off." I'm literally rolling on the floor...

So, I get home, her car is sitting in the middle of the street in front of my house, halfway into the pavement, and the wheel/tire is on the sidewalk 15' away. I see it and bust up laughing. Neighbor comes out, completely amazed and starts pissing and moaning about the damage to the street.

She can't open the door because of the bent up fender. There's shreds of wheel studs and lug nuts in her wake.

I'm still laughing as I type.

Have no fear, I'll post pics and results shortly... I just can't contain myself.

PICS:
Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/26 5:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I hope for your sake she found as much levity in it as you did.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 6:36

CentralCoaster RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

So there was a tiny mangled half of a stud left, the others were completely gone. I managed to run a die over it and restore the threads, jacked the car up, and got the fixaflat on there that has a very thin flange which allowed me to get one lug nut snugged on.

Held the brakes a little while backing it up into the driveway (using the caliper to keep the rotor clamped in place.)

Driving/dragging it wasn't an option because the lower suspension actually bottomed out in the street, the rotor isn't touching. So the brakes are still good, maybe worn out from the looseness, and the wheel damage is minimal. So looks like the fender damage is about it.

Not bad!
Posted on: 2008/1/26 6:37

cuisinartvette RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

The fact that you laughed at her proves youre a prick and will get you laid tonight.

Posted on: 2008/1/26 6:59

bogus RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

wait, how do inflatable girls drive? What am I missing here?
Posted on: 2008/1/26 7:03

Danspeed1 RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

OH! Thank god.... I was hoping your girlfriend didn't drive a Corvette..... Just a Nissan,

Close one

If they didn't do things like that they wouldn't be women. My girlfriend does stuff like that constantly, only, she always does it to my car. She blew the rear and scraped the bumper on my impala last year.

She also likes to tell me about things that need to be done to either vehicle at the absolute worst time or the absolute last minute, one of the two.

I hope you punched the neighbor in the face.... tell him to mind his own F*ing business...

I have lots of hostility tonight for some reason???? :shaking:

Good luck with that project, and your girl,

DG
Posted on: 2008/1/26 7:13
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:
wait, how do inflatable girls drive? What am I missing here?

OUCH!!! You gunna just roll over and take that Central?
Posted on: 2008/1/26 7:15
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Elite Guru
1121 Posts

Quote:
The fact that you laughed at her proves youre a prick and will get you laid tonight.

Doubt it,... hes to busy on here talking to us....

Go get some :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/1/26 7:17
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

pianoguy RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Whoa, she was lucky it happened so close to your place! My wife's solution to strange car noises is typically to turn up the radio

One time I was following a ricer (one that looked like it had virtually no suspension, and the requisite enormous muffler) down the freeway at about 75mph. I noticed some smoke coming from the front of his car. We both got off at the same exit, and there were 2 right-turn lanes - I was in the left one, he was in the right. We both made the turn, and as soon as we rounded the corner, his left front wheel, hub and all, came off in a shower of sparks. I had to stop to let his wheel roll across the road in front of me. His dumb ass was lucky that didn't happen about 30 seconds earlier.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 12:57

tobijohn RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

The same thing happened to a friend of mine in his VW. We were just driving along and this weird sound corresponding to the speed of the car started. We both looked at each other like WTF and at that same moment the drivers side front wheel came off. By that time we had slowed down considerably so no damage to the car. Just my friend's pride when he went to retrieve the wheel as it had rolled off the street and down into the infield of a Little League game in progress...
Posted on: 2008/1/26 13:46

biggrizzly RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

This must happen more often that we think. The same thing happened to a friend of mine when I was riding shotgun in his 340 Duster. He had got new Cragars installed on the car a few days prior and we were driving 55-60mph on the Baltimore Beltway. We heard a noise and then we saw the tire/wheel come speeding ahead of us and bounce off the guardrail and down into a thickly wooded ravine. The car actually came to a fairly smooth stop on the side of the road before dropping down on the spindle (ouch) --- We got out and ran to the area we thought his wheel and tire had gone, but couldn't find it. Its like the wheel fairies had come and taken it away. A couple days later his older brother went down there and found the wheel and tire in a totally different location than we thought it had bounced to.

I hated that car so much!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/26 14:33

CSS996 RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I have come up with a name for this phenomena that makes folks (usually women, sorry) hear strange noises in their cars, and freak out over them...

Autochondria
Posted on: 2008/1/26 16:43

cuisinartvette RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Gizzly....
Posted on: 2008/1/26 17:31

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I actually drove it a few days ago and it had a rattle, but it happened also while stopped, sounded like a heatshield or exhaust pipe hitting against something. So this was probably new

The scary part, there was only one lug nut/stud in the street. This means the other 3 broke off somewhere else and she was driving around with only one. The hub helped hold the wheel on.

Trying to fix the fender should be fun. All the attachment points are probably bent.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 17:36

SpectatorRacing RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

So far nothing that asanine, but mine falls under the category of thought that "I drive my car fast on the highway so I can drive your track car, too." She asks if she can drive it now and then. Uh...did I mention that she does not know how to drive a stick? And um...there are 5 inches of snow on the ground?

They're so amusing.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 17:41

pianoguy RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

BTW, my wife has taken 5, count 'em - 5, mirrors off of various vehicles over the years backing out of the garage.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 17:46

Oaklands RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Reminds me of my ex-wife. Years ago I had a 79 Formula Firebird and decided to put some new plugs in it. We were newly married and my wife always bragged about how much she knew about cars.

I had my socket on a plug getting the old plugs out. She asked if she could listen to the stereo. I told her sure. What did she do? Cranked the damn car while I am on the plug. Knocked the crap out of me. Of course I instantly went off on her about her knowledge about cars.

IIIItttt kkkkiiiind of rrrraaatttled me.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 17:49

SpectatorRacing RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:
BTW, my wife has taken 5, count 'em - 5, mirrors off of various vehicles over the years backing out of the garage.

Mine currently is driving around sans driver side view mirror which was forcefully removed by the side of her house. I guess she couldn't see it in the mirror...pretty small.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 18:02

tobijohn RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
...What did she do? Cranked the damn car while I am on the plug. Knocked the crap out of me. Of course I instantly went off on her about her knowledge about cars.

IIIItttt kkkkiiiind of rrrraaatttled me.

I kind of know that feeling. When I was a little kid, I made the mistake of asking my father what the spark plug on the lawnmower was for. He had me hold it while he gave the starter cord a good rip...
Posted on: 2008/1/26 18:13

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

What will that do on a car? What if I'm just holding the plug or coil wire with and I'm grounded while the car is running? Or if my hand is wet? I've always wondered that but never been willing to try it. I know when holding the plug wire the arc doesn't look any more powerful than a static spark from rubbing your feet on the carpet. Maybe it's the capacitance of the wires?

I'm sure battery terminals with a wet hand can cause a shock, I used to be paranoid about that, until I learned the difference between 110V and 12V. Obviously, dry, 12V isn't enough to get past the resistance of your skin/flesh.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 18:17

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Oh, when I asked her about roadside assistance, she said she has no insurance!

Actually went something like this:

"I dunno if I can get the wheel on, you might need a tow, what insurance do you have?"

"I kinda have AAA, they are great for towing, but I think it lapsed."

"KINDA!!?? Maybe we should kinda call them and ask them to kinda tow it out of the street."

She was riding her motorcycle before without insurance, registration, or even a motorcycle license. Sheesh. This breakfast better be good.
Posted on: 2008/1/26 18:25

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Just curious, are you going to show her this thread?
Posted on: 2008/1/26 21:05

dan0617 RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

My brother had an AMC spirit for a first car. It was running on 3 cylinders. He pulled a plug wire off, but the car wouldn't stay running on 2, so he put it back on, then told me to hold it at about 4000rpms. He grabbed and pulled another plug wire....He ran the whole way across the front yard screaming. It was hilarious.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 0:31

bogus RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Don't tase me bro!!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/27 2:26

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Just curious, are you going to show her this thread?

Probably, that's the sort of guy I am. :thumbright: And then she'll try to defer the blame somehow.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 2:49

Ramrod RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

I don't have anything to add, but has anyone asked for pics of the girlfriend? :tongue:
Posted on: 2008/1/27 2:51

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
I don't have anything to add, but has anyone asked for pics of the girlfriend? :tongue:

Good catch. Actually, a video of her reading and reacting to this thread would be even better!
Posted on: 2008/1/27 2:59

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

She spent half the day landscaping my front yard, so I can't exactly complain!

I got the car driveable this morning before wasting a whole day in mexico. I'll pull the rest of the fender and try fixing that, and the botched front end repair that was done previously.

I should just get a new fender and then maaco it.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 3:24

jhammons01 RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I won't blame my wife or GF.

I was late to work and I threw the front wheel on my 914 and off I went. I made it about a mile before it rattled and then flew off. It bounced down the road about 300 yards and fell over in someones yard.

I walked over there and retrieved the wheel. Then I stole one lug "bolt" (remember it was a VW product....they used big bolts) from each of the other three wheels and put it back on. No Damage however...like many others the car was light up there and really didn't come down until the car stopped.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 6:16

Ramrod RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Senior Guru
S. California
296 Posts

Quote:
She spent half the day landscaping my front yard, so I can't exactly complain!

I got the car driveable this morning before wasting a whole day in mexico. I'll pull the rest of the fender and try fixing that, and the botched front end repair that was done previously.

I should just get a new fender and then maaco it.

Didja just have to punch in new studs into the hub? or replace the hub?
She gets points for yard work, but does she cook and clean? ....Mmmmm
how's her teeth? Ya may wanna hang on to that one.
Posted on: 2008/1/27 13:12

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'll check the hub and bearings later, but for now I just pressed in new studs. I was able to knock em out with a sledge and pull em in with a lugnut and some washers.

Been driving it for a few days now with no problem, other than passengers having to get in through the window.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 19:13

NC Kid RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Your neighbor is complaining about damage to the street?

Lemme add also, I would be concerned about the occupant of the car more than the street...

If peoples wheels fly off or come loose, how do yall/they not loose control of the car? My caliper fell off going less than 5 mph about 2 minutes from my house and it scared me to death. Would you not crash without a wheel doing 55-60? Any precautions on how to keep this from happening? Im kinda paranoid now!
Posted on: 2008/1/28 19:52

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Precautions?

Simply have the car checked out when you notice strange vibrations. When in doubt, pull over.

And at the very least, carry insurance so you won't get hosed if you're stranded.

She did neither of these, and she even knew she had a broken stud from Discount Tire.
So they probably broke one, and overstressed the others. If one stud breaks, replace all of em!

The only time I ever check my lugnuts is when something feels wrong, I don't do regular inspections or anything. Plus I do my own work, so its less likely to be screwed up in the first place. This stuff hardly ever happens by a fluke, it happens by not taking care of stuff.

We were driving this damn car to disneyland the weekend before, imagine that happening on the freeway in thick traffic far from home with no insurance in the rain! I gave her a hard time for it, for sure.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 20:12

runner140 RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

How many miles can she get on a rotor?
Posted on: 2008/1/28 20:15

jhammons01 RE:LOL, my GF is stupid!
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:
How many miles can she get on a rotor?

LOL

Thread winner
Posted on: 2008/1/29 18:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.