Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
309 user(s) are online (256 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

CSS996 Friday Chat 05.16.08
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Good Morning Gurus!

My youngest son is 4 today.

And it's FRIDAY! w00t!

I'm getting ready for my morning commute, so I'll check in later.

Have a super day, Gurus!
Posted on: 2008/5/16 12:59

Matatk Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good morning CG's!

Well Happy Bday to the little one. Gonna have some cake and a little party? Don't you remember how exciting is was when you were little and opening all of the presents? Times change when you get old, huh?

What else is new with everyone? Not a whole lot here. I saw a little blurb online that retail gas prices have risen for the 10th day in a row. I don't like to complain, but geeze. I read a little comment in the editorial section of the paper last night - the person said (paraphrase) "if opec is a monopoly on oil, why can't we make a grain monopoly and everytime they raise the price of oil, we raise the price of grain we export" Sounded like an interesting idea. I don't know how practical it is, but interesting to think about...

Well, that's it for me. Hope everyone has a great day.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/5/16 13:24

NC Kid Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I wonder if it will ever go back down in price.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 14:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:

yes. The day GWB is out of office.

I am convinced he has more to do with this mess than anyone guesses. And what is worse? I feel it is being made much worse by his inaction.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 14:36

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

DaleD Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I am convinced he has more to do with this mess than anyone guesses. And what is worse? I feel it is being made much worse by his inaction.

We differ in political view, I know that, so I'll just point out a few things for you to consider.

- The dollar is weak due to the Fed trying to bail out the mortgage bankers. Weak dollar = expensive imports. Oil is bought on the world market. Now the tanking of the value of the dollar, it's legit to lay that at the feet of GWB.

- There really is a increased demand. China and India are increasing their demand for oil on a daily basis.

- Oil is traded as a commodity. Politics will factor into the cost of oil, (future contracts). Iran is an issue for instability. Venezeula is also a producer who is a concern.

- Domestic drilling and use of our own resources such as coal is not happening. This is not something that GWB discourages, I believe more of the blame for this should be laid at the feet of the current party controlling congress.

BTW, the price of oil has gone up dramatically since 2006. What happened in 06? The control of congress was handed over to another party.

Not trying to start a ruckus here, just pointing out some facts.

I think oil will retreat, eventually. When the dollar strengthens, oil will retreat. The best, fastest way to get oil to drop in price? Threaten to exploit our own resources. OPEC watches us. If we begin to go after resources that are suddenly worth it to drill for at $120 a barrel, OPEC will manipulate the price of oil so as to discourage recovering that oil.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 16:17

red_johnny Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:

Well I dunno how much truth behind that there is but I support GWB...one of the best this nation has had in a bit....he aint no Pansy. Look at all he has done, cleaned up the clinton mess (that right there is enough alone) put his foot down to terrorism (about time someone did) and took Sadam out (again about time someone did) I still understand peoples frustration with him though, but I think we need to look at the big picture.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 16:18

biggrizzly Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Good Afternoon All,

I'm not much of a political activist, so I don't have much to say about the oil prices or political parties. I do support GWB and I work for the Military, so I guss I'm in trouble for both points.

Anyhow, I stopped by on this thread to say Hello, My wife and I finally moved into our new house a couple weeks ago and I've been up to my ears in stuff to do. My car is sitting all covered up in the garage with nothing to do. Waiting for me to get back to her and finish the job I started last year. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have enough of the organizing done in the new house that I can get to the car again.

I hope to also be able to get here to the Guru Site more often and post more, but for now take care, I'll keep you all up to date on the car and stuff.

Cheers
Posted on: 2008/5/16 16:29

CSS996 Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Welcome back, Grizz!

I'm gonna stay outta the political stuff...
Posted on: 2008/5/16 17:35

bastet44 Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Good morning! Well, I guess it's getting on afternoon for most of you.

Glad it's Friday. Been super busy at work, and will continue to be so for the next month or two. It's just that time of year.

It's supposed to be HOT here today, so I'm just chillin' at home for the moment.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 18:06

runner140 Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

We differ in political view, I know that, so I'll just point out a few things for you to consider.

- The dollar is weak due to the Fed trying to bail out the mortgage bankers. Weak dollar = expensive imports. Oil is bought on the world market. Now the tanking of the value of the dollar, it's legit to lay that at the feet of GWB.

- There really is a increased demand. China and India are increasing their demand for oil on a daily basis.

- Oil is traded as a commodity. Politics will factor into the cost of oil, (future contracts). Iran is an issue for instability. Venezeula is also a producer who is a concern.

- Domestic drilling and use of our own resources such as coal is not happening. This is not something that GWB discourages, I believe more of the blame for this should be laid at the feet of the current party controlling congress.

BTW, the price of oil has gone up dramatically since 2006. What happened in 06? The control of congress was handed over to another party.

Not trying to start a ruckus here, just pointing out some facts.

I think oil will retreat, eventually. When the dollar strengthens, oil will retreat. The best, fastest way to get oil to drop in price? Threaten to exploit our own resources. OPEC watches us. If we begin to go after resources that are suddenly worth it to drill for at $120 a barrel, OPEC will manipulate the price of oil so as to discourage recovering that oil.

You are correct in most areas. The world produces 85 million barrels of oil a day. The world (China/Russia/Brazil/India)is growing at 4% a year but oil production is growing at less than 1/2 of 1% a year.
Goldman Sachs came out with a report today that said the price of oil would trade at $141.00 per barrel the second half of this year.

This is a worldwide problem and not a Bush or U.S. problem.
Guess we want someone to kick.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 19:03

pianoguy Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Happy birthday to your little guy, Chris, and congrats on your new house, biggrizzly!

I had the day off and have been busier than if I had gone to the office. My wife decided it was time to go to the nursery to get flowers and plants, so we did our best to boost the local economy.
Posted on: 2008/5/16 21:23

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

JrRifleCoach Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I am convinced he has more to do with this mess than anyone guesses.

GAWD I GET BORED OF THIS DRIBBLE!!!!!

Its always GW's fault. "He does this and doesn't do that!"

Posted on: 2008/5/16 22:12
Edited by JrRifleCoach on 2008/5/16 22:54:41

TommyT-Bone Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Maybe I should buy a old tanker trailer and fill it with premium gas. Put in a couple 55 gallon drums of Stabil and I'll be good to go for the next few years. I wonder how long gas could stay in a tanker? How many gallons to fill a tanker?
Posted on: 2008/5/16 23:28

DaleD Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
Welcome back, Grizz!

I'm gonna stay outta the political stuff...

I should stay out of that stuff too. I'm not bright enough, or I don't have enough self control, or some combination of the two!
Posted on: 2008/5/16 23:47

smooth Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

$141 a barrel?! If I had any guts I'd roll the dice and invest my 401k in it!. Sadly, I'm more of a utilities kind of guy but at least I can sleep at night....

I hope you all have a Great weekend. I get to fly out to Chicago for a whirl wind meeting...leave Phila sat night at 6 hit chicago at 7:30 get dinner meetings 8 to 2 sunday and back on a plane at 3. Hope the weathers decent
Posted on: 2008/5/16 23:57

CentralCoaster Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Gas downtown today was $4.10 regular, $4.30 premium, and $4.80 diesel.

Seriously, which ones of you are really hurting from gas prices or the real estate slump right now? Surely not anyone that wasn't already living beyond their means in the first place.
Posted on: 2008/5/17 0:00

smooth Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Senior Guru
Formerly "Aquavet" in Pa.
386 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Gas downtown today was $4.10 regular, $4.30 premium, and $4.80 diesel.

Seriously, which ones of you are really hurting from gas prices or the real estate slump right now? Surely not anyone that wasn't already living beyond their means in the first place.

Sure most of us here can afford it. We're just not used to the price skyrocketing like it has recently for what ever reason. We havn't quite hit the $4 mark here in the Philly area. but it surely will. obviously it hurts Joe Average. It will likely hurt the Shore business in So. Jersey this year. Lots of people pile in the family truckster and drive the hour and a half to the shore every week end during the summer around here.....but not at $4 + per gallon @ 10mpg
Posted on: 2008/5/17 0:08

polish41 Re: Friday Chat 05.16.08
Guru Newb
Watertown.SD
50 Posts

Well the ones it hurts the most are the ones like me. Fixed income, no raises, every time the price goes up that means I have to cut something out. No trips to visit my grand kids. The golden years aren't so golden anymore. More like leaden now. Gas prices are killing me.
Posted on: 2008/5/17 2:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.