Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
295 user(s) are online (208 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  ABS
Antilock Braking System.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1986....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

tobijohn $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

At this price, how could this really be original OEM like the seller claims? The partsladi sells a repo for $160 and a Delphi for $230:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBa ... e=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us
Posted on: 2008/8/7 1:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Qack Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Senior Guru
Raleigh, NC
274 Posts

I just want to know where they were two months ago when I needed one!
Posted on: 2008/8/7 1:40

Travis93 Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I got one a couple months ago from this seller. It looked real close to the one that came off, the molded numbers saying what spark plug wire were slightly different. This may have been a change from original I don’t know. I am also assuming the one I took off was OEM, not sure about that. Anyway it went on easy and has been running fine ever since. I figured for the price and because I was doing the install myself it was worth a shot. His 100% positive feedback had a bit to do with my decision too.
Posted on: 2008/8/7 5:18

CentralCoaster Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Weird. Maybe GM found a different/cheaper supplier. Not uncommon for the replacement part industry after their original inventory runs out.
Posted on: 2008/8/7 7:23

biggrizzly Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Some guys on CamaroZ28.com have been testing these. You might take a look at some of the threads over there.
Posted on: 2008/8/7 9:56

runner140 Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

I've made several purchases thru "thepartsladi". All have been with good results. BUT, I never purchased an Opti from them.
Posted on: 2008/8/7 11:32

tobijohn Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Some guys on CamaroZ28.com have been testing these. You might take a look at some of the threads over there.

Thanks for the info, Don. Apparently, they are fakes that rarely last more than a several hundred miles. Post #146 gets to the heart of the matter if you don't want to scroll through the first ten pages of the thread:

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529298
Posted on: 2008/8/7 22:08

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Very interesting, this is on all the chevy forums.

One vendor appears to be in Tehachapi, CA. (Very small town and I'm from there.) The address is bogus, I'll have to check it out next time I'm there. There's another out of Santa Cruz, CA.

These must be trickling in from China.

This needs to go in the FAQ, so no one else buys them. I would guess the rest of the stuff he's selling as OEM also is not.
Posted on: 2008/8/7 23:48

anesthes Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Very interesting, this is on all the chevy forums.

One vendor appears to be in Tehachapi, CA. (Very small town and I'm from there.) The address is bogus, I'll have to check it out next time I'm there. There's another out of Santa Cruz, CA.

These must be trickling in from China.

This needs to go in the FAQ, so no one else buys them. I would guess the rest of the stuff he's selling as OEM also is not.

The last few parts I've received from the dealer, complete with GM stickers on them said "maid in China". I bet they ARE oem parts.

A lot of chinese plants have been black marketing their own goods for some time now. Cisco (network company) has had a huge issue with this, companies selling their products made in the same factories on ebay for 1/3 retail.

--Joe
Posted on: 2008/8/8 1:10

tobijohn Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Anyone hear much about the quality of the Accel Optispark? I tried a Google search as well as checking a few other forums but not much anywhere...
Posted on: 2008/8/8 1:36

AIRFOIL FREE!

pianoguy Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

tobijohn wrote:
Anyone hear much about the quality of the Accel Optispark? I tried a Google search as well as checking a few other forums but not much anywhere...

I haven't heard much good about them, at least on the "other" forum. If you want an MSD, get a quote from epowershops.com, or see if SpeedHound has a deal.
Posted on: 2008/8/8 1:59

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, over 1000 miles and no trouble yet.

Quote:

anesthes wrote:

The last few parts I've received from the dealer, complete with GM stickers on them said "maid in China". I bet they ARE oem parts.

A lot of chinese plants have been black marketing their own goods for some time now. Cisco (network company) has had a huge issue with this, companies selling their products made in the same factories on ebay for 1/3 retail.

--Joe

Ahh… But the labor is so much cheaper it’s worth getting crappy quality and have them steal your designs.
Posted on: 2008/8/8 3:42

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Joe, these are clearly different parts. The knock offs had a different backing plate, different casting, and different terminals. Then it appears after one guy made a big stink, they changed the backing plate to look more similar to oem, but it still wasn't.

I know what you mean though about OEMs selling cheap parts in an expensive box.
Posted on: 2008/8/8 4:42

anesthes Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Joe, these are clearly different parts. The knock offs had a different backing plate, different casting, and different terminals. Then it appears after one guy made a big stink, they changed the backing plate to look more similar to oem, but it still wasn't.

I know what you mean though about OEMs selling cheap parts in an expensive box.

Ahh. So these are truely 100% counterfeit ? nice..

But yeah, lot of GM stuff lately has the made in china sticker. Bought some lower trailing arms for a grand prix the other day, $52 each my cost ($78 retail) and they were made in china. Told the manager if I wanted Chinese crap I woulda bought the $30 ones on ebay..

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/8/8 12:16

SpectatorRacing Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Before you all get too excited about where parts are made, please note that the MSD opti and coil I just bought were also made in China.

You have to go on reputation and other's experience if you're buying parts from sources other than dealers or a big chain (implying that they have a warranty). Otherwise you're shooting in the dark.

Also let it be noted that the MSD coil was bad out of the box and the opti failed during my first race. It was a repairable failure (screws backed out of rotor and it came loose), but a failure nonetheless. If I hadn't fixed, rebuilt, and replaced 7 opti's I probably wouldn't have known how to fix this one, and had to buy a new one.
Posted on: 2008/8/8 15:33

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Even with OEM parts coming from China, they use certain suppliers and have certain specs they're trying to follow. They may suffer on quality control...

but the goal of counterfeit parts is simply to be disguised as a working part, and work on the first day its installed. I bought a few motorcycle replacement parts off ebay from China, and tore them apart, they use the cheapest possible materials to get the thing to function and look good in the box. It won't bolt on, the wiring is shit, its missing components, etc.
Posted on: 2008/8/8 18:06

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Quote:

Travis93 wrote:
I got one a couple months ago from this seller. It looked real close to the one that came off, the molded numbers saying what spark plug wire were slightly different. This may have been a change from original I don’t know. I am also assuming the one I took off was OEM, not sure about that. Anyway it went on easy and has been running fine ever since. I figured for the price and because I was doing the install myself it was worth a shot. His 100% positive feedback had a bit to do with my decision too.

Ok mine finally died. Well not completely the tac is a little twitchy at higher RPM's and I am getting a code again. No check engine just a code when I scan. so I have ordered a new one from partsladi.
Posted on: 2008/10/24 4:51

Schrade Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

Travis93 wrote:

Ok mine finally died. Well not completely the tac is a little twitchy at higher RPM's and I am getting a code again. No check engine just a code when I scan. so I have ordered a new one from partsladi.

So you got 10 weeks out of it?

How bout postin' up a few pics there, so we can see what it looks like, and the damage too, if visible...
Posted on: 2008/10/24 5:07

Resized Image

cuisinartvette Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

There were one or two guys recently at the other place that bought those $90 pieces and were none too happy.
Posted on: 2008/10/24 6:07

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

So you got 10 weeks out of it?

How bout postin' up a few pics there, so we can see what it looks like, and the damage too, if visible...

I got about 4 months. That sounds better than some but not close to what it should have been. I will try and get some pictures when I get a chance to take it apart.
Posted on: 2008/10/24 6:21

Senior Guru
Cleveland Ohio
205 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
There were one or two guys recently at the other place that bought those $90 pieces and were none too happy.

They are still selling and working long enough to get the seller a good feedback rating. Too bad Ebay is setup so that feedback cannot be changed this guys rating would go in the toilet quick and protect future buyers.
Posted on: 2008/10/24 6:24

C2C3C4C6 Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
Guru
Sandwich, Illinois
63 Posts

Buy Cheap--Get Cheap!
Posted on: 2008/10/24 12:11

biggrizzly Re: $90 new OEM Opti on eBay?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

A guy that owns a local shop not far from my work that does all LT1 and LS1 stuff was telling me that he has replaced a few of the Chinese models on customer cars.
I'm trying to picture this because it has been a while since I had my opti apart, but he said that there is some kind of round shield between the cap and base that was totally missing on the cheap versions he has repaired. I'll have to look at a drawing to figure out what he is talking about. Anyway, he said those units were producing a lot of bad signals.
Posted on: 2008/10/25 11:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.