Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
200 user(s) are online (155 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

AKS_Racing Garage Mahal
Guru
62 Posts

I added this garage extension (34' x 50') between Thansgiving '07 and May '08. Every weld, nail, screw done by my hand or my helpful son Travis (except installation of the shingles). Includes 5 bays with one having a 9,000 lb assymetrical lift. Includes two full baths (one up, one down), 26' x 31' entertainment room up, one bedroom up, kitchenette area, and 12' x 8' balcony overlooking the pool.

If you are going to add something like this, you might as well make it worthwhile.

Front view of 3-car garage with addition:
[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/AKS_Racing/080608b_2684.jpg[/IMG]
Side view:
[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/AKS_Racing/080608d_2686.jpg[/IMG]
Back view:
[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/AKS_Racing/080819e_2766.jpg[/IMG]
Inside:
[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/AKS_Racing/080819c_2764.jpg[/IMG]

I hope you like,
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/10/22 2:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Garage Mahal
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The ultimate man-cave - excellent!
Posted on: 2008/10/22 3:11

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bogus Re: Garage Mahal
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

wow.
Posted on: 2008/10/22 4:45

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TommyT-Bone Re: Garage Mahal
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Gives me an idea. Maybe I can convert my house into a huge garage. Very nice.
Posted on: 2008/10/22 10:52

red_johnny Re: Garage Mahal
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

WOW! I have the space to do that here but not the funds or the wifes approval. Looks freaking great!
Posted on: 2008/10/22 10:56

Matatk Re: Garage Mahal
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Very nice! I'd have somewhere to go besides the couch when my wife kicks me out!

So what do your neighbors think....

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/23 0:16

AKS_Racing Re: Garage Mahal
Guru
62 Posts

Thanks for the positive comments guys. People really think this is a WOW project!

First, let me say that I live in a master planned community in the Woodlands area north of Houston. They HOA's are very picky about what gets built after the initial build.

Let me start this by saying that "it was my wife's idea", or sort of...

I built the pool you see in pic #2 during the Spring / Summer '07. There are lots of neighborhood kids that like to hang out at the house (even before the pool). More kids equals more trips inside to use the bathroom. She wanted me to add a 9' x 6' "wetroom" behind the garage, to keep the wet kids off the floors inside. I suggested that we add the same amount of addition all the way across the back, instead of a simple 6' adjunct. I figured if I was going to add onto the back, I wanted to make it large enough for a 2nd car (tandem), which meant 12' add on to the existing 24'. Eventually after I started measuring and sketching things up, I discovered that I could extend it by 26' (to make a full 50' deep), and still miss an existing tree by 3.5'. So the garage addition became set at that 26' number. After many iterations, I suggested a large entertainment room upstairs for the kids with the other add ons. The balcony was an argument in itself (she thinks teenage kids will jump into the pool from up there), but eventually she agreed.

She really couldn't complain, as I was doing all of the work myself. I am still less than $20K into the build with absolutely everything included (even the lift, electrical, etc). I am certainly not finished with the build, as there remains lots of interior work to complete, but it is watertight. And my wife is happy, as this was all started "from her idea".

Life lesson: Keep the wife happy (and maybe you get added satisfaction along the way).
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/10/23 2:19

BillH Re: Garage Mahal
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Nice.

Your $20k doesn't include the concrete does it?
Posted on: 2008/10/23 13:45

Guru
62 Posts

The $20K figure includes everything (the concrete was $6,050, and was poured when I had the decking done around the pool). Remember, there is no labor included in the build, as I (with some help from my son, and on occasion a friend) provided all of the sweat equity.
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/10/23 15:58

CentralCoaster Re: Garage Mahal
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Thanks for the motivation! I was budgeting more than that for materials on a freestanding 3-car garage without the 2nd story and bathrooms.
Posted on: 2008/10/23 16:45

Notorious Re: Garage Mahal
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I'll trade you my house and garage for your garage!
Posted on: 2008/10/23 16:48

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

His garage is twice as big as my house and garage combined.
Posted on: 2008/10/23 17:42

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I just priced a 30 x 36,(12 ft walls) steel & wood shop. One 16 ft door, one man door. Slab, permits, everything for $25k. No plumbing, elect. or insulation/drywall.

A 24 x 24 all wood, 2x6 walls (8 ft.)around here is $16k.
Posted on: 2008/10/24 23:52

pr0zac Re: Garage Mahal
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i hate you. sick pad
Posted on: 2008/10/28 1:43

brut Re: Garage Mahal
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

That is great!! I can squeeze 6 vettes(lol) in my garage, but it is nothing like yours. You did a great job bro!!
Posted on: 2008/10/28 2:04
'02 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
'07 Hummer H3

Guru
62 Posts

Thanks for the positive comments guys. They are certainly appreciated!

Some of you may have thought that this was a basic stick/frame construction, but it required a serious inner structure to be able to have the large open span.

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/AKS_Racing/100_2216.jpg[/IMG]
The frame work you see are 10W34 "I" beams. The longest beam is 10" tall, wide flange to allow the wood to set properly on the 2" flange, 26' long, and 34 lbs/linear ft; read as 884 lbs for the longest beam lifted by hand into position on the gorilla ladders. That thing was HEAVY!

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/AKS_Racing/100_2245.jpg[/IMG]
The 2"x12" floor joists are all cut to fit on the I beams and then bolted to the beams.
[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/AKS_Racing/100_2318.jpg[/IMG]
No floor joist is longer than 11.5', so the structure is extremely sturdy. I based the calculation on being able to lift a dead load of 3500 lbs on the beams (that way you could easily pull an engine without concern). In order to support the upper structure, the span, and the live load (not including any additional weight, the required engineered beam (wood laminate) would be over 22" in height, which would interfere with the room upstairs). I have lots more pics with detail if there are specific questions.

This weekend I got the can lights installed in the upstairs (already had lights in the stairwell and on the balcony, but no lights in the upstairs). It looks nice all lit up in there.

With regard to space, I could probably fit 3 cars deep to allow more cars to fit in there (not sure how long a "normal" car is), but no real need at the momemnt. I have my '89 stored at another garage, and the two yellow convertables are happy where they are, plus I have plenty of room for the motorcycles. When I get the lift installed (instead of lying on the floor) that will free up add'l space for another bay, and also allow more room to work.

I will see if i can get some more pics if you guys are interested, as it is now all cleaned up inside and definitely well lit up.
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/10/28 2:25

jsup Re: Garage Mahal
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Very nice, that garage is the size of my lot...
Posted on: 2008/10/28 2:31

red_johnny Re: Garage Mahal
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Man, school me! Really, I would love to learn how to do that! I got some knowledge on interior stuff but to build from scratch with I beams non-the-less! I'M NOT WORTHY...lol.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 10:56

87vette Re: Garage Mahal
Guru Newb
25 Posts

freakin awsome your my hero, im in houston if you ever need help or an extra hand let me know im a Mr.hani-man but not to your level bro! but i would like to cruise my baby blue over to your place one day!!!once agian Awsome!!!!!!
Posted on: 2008/10/28 11:54

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

AKS_Racing wrote:
Thanks for the positive comments guys. They are certainly appreciated!

With regard to space, I could probably fit 3 cars deep to allow more cars to fit in there (not sure how long a "normal" car is), but no real need at the momemnt. I have my '89 stored at another garage, and the two yellow convertables are happy where they are, plus I have plenty of room for the motorcycles. When I get the lift installed (instead of lying on the floor) that will free up add'l space for another bay, and also allow more room to work.

I will see if i can get some more pics if you guys are interested, as it is now all cleaned up inside and definitely well lit up.
Aaron

Of course we want more pics.
A C4 is 15 foot long. Add 2 feet for a "normal" car, what the hell is "normal" anyway? My extended cab Silverado is 6 inches too long to fit in my garage because of the work bench.

I'm getting a lift for my next garage, hopefully next year. I've got some very specific opinions on lifts, especially the "lower cost" ones. I plan to spend the extra $500 and get a good one, Bend-Pak.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Aaron, Are you going to paint the floor?
Posted on: 2008/10/28 13:48

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Did you do your own calcs, or hire a structural engineer to size the beams?

I want to run a 40-ft beam across the middle and have a peaked ceiling with roof joists and no trusses in the way. I'm thinking a fatty truss on each end will carry the whole thing.
Posted on: 2008/10/28 15:26

Guru
62 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

I used the HD Polymer floor coat system on the original garage. While this product is great for resisting fluids (oil, gas, solvents, etc), hot tires will pull it right up. Basically, the rubber compound bonds to the polymer coating and then departs with the tires. I have DRs on my vette, and there are multiple spots where there are nice tread shaped blocks "missing" from the floor.

I have a new coating that I am considering that is made from methyl methacrylate (MMA) to yield what is called liquid plexiglass (also made from iC4= which is a product my company sells). This coating is used on new dealership floors, but is considerably more expensive. I had this coating installed on my slide to the pool, and even without water a et swimsuit slides just fine (though I do have water to the slide, and it is FAST). I'm not sure when I will get to this, as it is a pretty significant investment.
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/10/29 16:48

Guru
62 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Did you do your own calcs, or hire a structural engineer to size the beams?

I want to run a 40-ft beam across the middle and have a peaked ceiling with roof joists and no trusses in the way. I'm thinking a fatty truss on each end will carry the whole thing.

CC,
I am a degreed ChE, but was 6 hrs shy of having my ME degree when I switched to ChE. I did the calcs on the loads and beams required, and most any of these load calcs can be found on-line. With that being said, if you are required to be permitted or are unsure of your calcs, then it is best to get a PE involved.

BTW, I would need a bit more detail on your specific build (i.e. height, roof slope, loads, etc) to be able to provide an estimate as to whether you are going down the right path.
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/10/29 16:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

AKS_Racing wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

I used the HD Polymer floor coat system on the original garage. While this product is great for resisting fluids (oil, gas, solvents, etc), hot tires will pull it right up. Basically, the rubber compound bonds to the polymer coating and then departs with the tires. I have DRs on my vette, and there are multiple spots where there are nice tread shaped blocks "missing" from the floor.

The race shop I worked in had the floors done by premiergarage.com. They were absouletly bullitproof. No hot tire pickup, even brake fluid overnite didn't touch it. But, they won't tell me whose product it is.

Another guy I know did the U-Coatit and it seems to be very good.
Posted on: 2008/10/30 2:10

Guru
62 Posts

The U-CoatIt system is similar to the polymer supplied by HD. Resistant to all solvents including ethers and ethers bottoms (brake fluid), but has problems with hot, sticky tires.
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/10/31 0:31

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

AKS_Racing wrote:

CC,
I am a degreed ChE, but was 6 hrs shy of having my ME degree when I switched to ChE. I did the calcs on the loads and beams required, and most any of these load calcs can be found on-line. With that being said, if you are required to be permitted or are unsure of your calcs, then it is best to get a PE involved.

BTW, I would need a bit more detail on your specific build (i.e. height, roof slope, loads, etc) to be able to provide an estimate as to whether you are going down the right path.
Aaron

Thanks, I just don't have a clue exactly what they're looking for on the plans. I'll see what I can find online and wing it. I can stamp it myself if need be.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 7:18

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

AKS_Racing wrote:
The U-CoatIt system is similar to the polymer supplied by HD. Resistant to all solvents including ethers and ethers bottoms (brake fluid), but has problems with hot, sticky tires.
Aaron

Thanks Aaron, The U-CoatIt stuff is supposed to bond with the concrete, possibily because it's water based. Any thoughts on that compared to the HD?
U-CoatIt just did Leno's garage, probably for free.

Any recommendations? I only want to do this once when I get the new shop.

U-C runs runs $250 (base color) to $500 (with clearcoat) for 24 x 24.
How much does your product (if available) run?
Thanks
Posted on: 2008/11/1 14:08

Guru
62 Posts

Well I started installing the lift last weekend (the weekend before Thanksgiving), and had the rams upright and most of the support members installed, yet not near operational.

Well on Tues (two days before Thanksgiving), evening, I get the call from my wife that someone has rearended my DD hard. I wind up getting the car towed, and spent much of friday moving things around so that I can get a 2nd car in the back area, as well as finishing out the lift. (There must have been a reason that out of the blue I started installing the lift, if I had not set the rams upright, there would be no room for the wrecked Lexus in the back bay.) I have a few more anchors to install, but everything is working very nice. The lift is soo smooth.

I will try to get pics up soon, as I was rather busy over Thanksgiving weekend supervising / installing a new roof on the house including new decking (thanks to Ike). Oh, I also managed to buy another wrecked Gixxer (not bad at all) this weekend, so I will add that project in the garage with the Gix1000 and Kawi 7R.

Having a lift will be sweet for that work that I used to lay on my back to do.

Pic promised soon.
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/12/1 2:43

Curtis1974 Re: Garage Mahal
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I'm very jealous! Looks great.............
Posted on: 2009/2/17 10:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.