Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
299 user(s) are online (245 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C6
Abbreviation for the 6th generation of Corvettes built starting in 2005 and are still in production....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Posted on: 2008/11/29 23:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I saw that - holy effin' Hannah!
Posted on: 2008/11/29 23:08

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Holy crap...that's amazing.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/11/29 23:24

BeachBum Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Master Guru
751 Posts

That is some serious, serious power !!
Posted on: 2008/11/29 23:49

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

cuisinartvette Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Mind numbing, has to be. I can only imagine the way that thing pulls.. Wow.
Posted on: 2008/11/29 23:51

Master Guru
751 Posts

Yeah, I'm not sure, but in his video's, its either accelerating at a rate I am not accustomed too, or he is blowing the tires off at highway speeds..... either condition, its very impressive.
Posted on: 2008/11/29 23:59

bogus Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The one problem with turbos is that if they are'nt engineered properly, they will be very twitchy.

Back in the early days of turbos, with super low compression and quite a bit of boost, they would come on at 3000 RPM and death would ensue if the driver wasn't ready for it. The early Porsche 911 turbo was like that.

In racing, the 934 and 935 variants (nearly identical, but different rule classes) were even worse... drivers reported the car had 200hp, then as they exited the corner, it had 700hp. Yee-ha.

So I wonder if his acceleration is being effected by the very nature of a turbo motor.

I would love to see the plumbing and turbo location on that thing.
Posted on: 2008/11/30 5:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Master Guru
751 Posts

I would have done a Turbo a long time ago if they could be made consistent enough to compete with in bracket racing.

But, if I was building just a power house car for the sheer nature of running an et..... I would seriously consider one. Forced Induction works very well if you know what you're doing.

Bogus, on the sudden boost rise, yeah, I've seen that as well, a friend I used to race with had a mega HP 87 grand nash, he couldn't floor it, had to literally walk into it easily, otherwise the boost came on too strong. All he did was 1/4 throttle into 3rd, then slowly walked into it. He had as much money in his chassis as he did his motor, but was still out of luck. This was a race only Duttweiler built Turbo motor that made somewhere north of 1000 HP.....

I haven't seen him in years, so have no clue if he ever figured out how to get it down the track....
Posted on: 2008/11/30 5:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

All you have to say is "Duttweiler built Buick V6" and all men within earshot bow down.

Those engines are SICK. And yea, north of 1000hp is not uncommon.
Posted on: 2008/11/30 5:26

TommyT-Bone Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Dyno-might!
Posted on: 2008/11/30 13:44

BrianCunningham Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

My tuner has a V6 Turbo Buick.
The car's running 8's now!

Photobucket
Posted on: 2008/11/30 18:04

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
All you have to say is "Duttweiler built Buick V6" and all men within earshot bow down.

Those engines are SICK. And yea, north of 1000hp is not uncommon.

Yeah, unfortunately for me when I was in the other lane, a lot of Duttweilers customers used to race at Carlsbad Raceway where I raced...... I don't know much about Turbo's or the cars, other than the fact they are faster than all hell.

Another problem I had, was the leading VW tuner in the country was stationed around the corner from Carlsbad raceway.....so naturally, where do you think they do there testing n tuning and of course there customer drag day outings and events....yeap, my track. Ever have a VW Bug beat you down the track by a second or two ? I have..... its no fun.
Posted on: 2008/11/30 20:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have always wanted a 9 second Bug.
Posted on: 2008/11/30 21:47

Shadow Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Senior Guru
271 Posts

Love to see it but can't thanks to the geniuses at Brand X.

Anyone have a viewable link?
Posted on: 2008/11/30 22:25

The CF Artist fka: STREETKNIGHT..R.I.P.

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.CorvetteInternational.com

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I have always wanted a 9 second Bug.

When I worked at Lycoming one of my coworkers had a turbo bug

Photobucket

Great STRAIGHTLINE performance.
Posted on: 2008/11/30 23:14

Master Guru
751 Posts

Yeah, that looks like one of the little burgers that would zip by me like I was sitting still.... There were a bunch at Carlsbad that ran deep 10's and even 9's and based upon them being stripped out, they were basically a motorcyle on 4 wheels. They even had a VW powered dragster that I guess set their own world record when I was there.... I think it ran in the 6's at over 200 mph.

The thing about those bugs that ran hard, they would be bouncing the whole way down the track from forward to backwards.... with that short wheel base, they looked dangerous to me. But, I don't ever remember one wiping out, so I guess they're safe enough.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 0:38

Stl94LT1 Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Guru Newb
128 Posts

Quote:
I would love to see the plumbing and turbo location on that thing.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/12/1 18:33

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

People are asking about the availability of kits
Posted on: 2008/12/1 18:39

Guru Newb
128 Posts

I just PM'd Chris this thread, maybe he'll come over and join the discussion.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 18:48

Lcvette Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Guru Newb
16 Posts

Wow, talk about feeling left out of the club..lol I just was referred to the site by Stl94LT1, a big thanks for that!!!

This is my corvette and I spend most of my time in the forced induction section of the corvetteforum so I apologize for not being overhere before.

I recognize many familiar names from several years back when I spent most of my time in the tech section on CF. I dropped off the face of the earth because I was dedicated to building this project and this is the third rendition of the system.

I am not sure of the sites policies regarding vendor status and I am not one obviously as I just registered but if someone would like to let me know on that I would be more then happy to elaborate on the idea of kits.

the current setup isn't finished yet and still has more left in it I feel confident that my goal of 900rwhp is very attainable but I am out of injector currently (83lber's) and have 160's on the way as well as a boost controller to resolve a few minor details in the boost curve.

Beach bum,

there are two incar dash view videos, the first one where she spikes to 99mph is wheel spin, I should elaborate on my tuning run proceedure. I generally warm the tires by doing a few 3rd gear romps which inevitably breaks the 315 nittos loose like ice skates. after about 3 of these romps, the tires hook at least well enough to maintain a straight line, it is really more of a controlled spin, you can hear the revs race up then steady and catch as traction becomes available. the run to 114mph had a little bit of traction in 3rd and good traction in fourth.

the car is as stated in that thread a Dr jekyl and Mr. hyde. it drives around with better manners then a hot cammed stock LT1 in town with no cooling issues whatsoever, the car can sit in bumper to bumper traffic and you can carry on a conversation at cruise speeds as well. listen to the stereo, no surging or bucking.. it is a dream daily driver.

and then there is the Mr. Hyde side of the car and this happens when you put your foot in it.. there are 845ft/lbs on tap by 3500 RPM, 500 at 3000 RPM and the climb there is very difficult to explain to someone who has not ridden in a turbo car producing these numbers. there is simply nothing like it.

I started this project after a ride in a Supra a few years back that truly opened my eyes to what fast was. at the time I was almost finished building a forged 355 solid roller nitrous motor for our 96 polo LT4.. she was around 430 on motor to the wheels and we never shot the juice to it before I decided to change directions and be done with the unstreetable solid roller cam headache and begin the more docile daily driver approach that surpassed what I could do on motor alone.

I have accomplished my goals and would like to discuss with whomever is interested possibly doing a group sale. one off's aren't very worthwhile as I am just a one man show with all the tooling and equipment but the material costs up front in this economy isn't something I have to put forth right now.

I am planning on reopening my old hobby business, Next Generation Motorsports, LLC and would like to be dedicated to the C4 community both LTx and ZR1 for turbocharged forced induction.

as was mentoned the current system is a violent setup bringing alot of power on very early, great for a street kit that might not want to run 20psi of boost because on pump gas and 14psi it is MUCH more manageable with very little lag. enough boost response to have the Kenne Bell and Whipple C5 guys on their toes!

for an all out power monster, there are other turbo units that will bring boost on more manageable and extend the power curve deeper in the rev range producing a long broad torque curve with ever increasing power to redline. I have made turbocharging cars a passion of mine over the last 9 years now and have built several cars for boost. the other of which is below a toy car I built from a ragged out 92 Mitsubishi Eclipse. You can get a feel for my level of quality in fabrication and the way I do things by the pictures above and by the pictures int he video of the car below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB3eVx4Ggnk

Please do not hesitate t email me with any questions or comments, I am more then happy to take the time to answer them for you and be of as much assistance as I can.

thanks guys!! and glad to have been invited to the site!

Chris
Posted on: 2008/12/1 19:43

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Welcome to the Guru!
Posted on: 2008/12/1 20:38

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

Lcvette wrote:
Wow, talk about feeling left out of the club..lol I just was referred to the site by Stl94LT1, a big thanks for that!!!

This is my corvette and I spend most of my time in the forced induction section of the corvetteforum so I apologize for not being overhere before.

I recognize many familiar names from several years back when I spent most of my time in the tech section on CF. I dropped off the face of the earth because I was dedicated to building this project and this is the third rendition of the system.

I am not sure of the sites policies regarding vendor status and I am not one obviously as I just registered but if someone would like to let me know on that I would be more then happy to elaborate on the idea of kits.

the current setup isn't finished yet and still has more left in it I feel confident that my goal of 900rwhp is very attainable but I am out of injector currently (83lber's) and have 160's on the way as well as a boost controller to resolve a few minor details in the boost curve.

Beach bum,

there are two incar dash view videos, the first one where she spikes to 99mph is wheel spin, I should elaborate on my tuning run proceedure. I generally warm the tires by doing a few 3rd gear romps which inevitably breaks the 315 nittos loose like ice skates. after about 3 of these romps, the tires hook at least well enough to maintain a straight line, it is really more of a controlled spin, you can hear the revs race up then steady and catch as traction becomes available. the run to 114mph had a little bit of traction in 3rd and good traction in fourth.

the car is as stated in that thread a Dr jekyl and Mr. hyde. it drives around with better manners then a hot cammed stock LT1 in town with no cooling issues whatsoever, the car can sit in bumper to bumper traffic and you can carry on a conversation at cruise speeds as well. listen to the stereo, no surging or bucking.. it is a dream daily driver.

and then there is the Mr. Hyde side of the car and this happens when you put your foot in it.. there are 845ft/lbs on tap by 3500 RPM, 500 at 3000 RPM and the climb there is very difficult to explain to someone who has not ridden in a turbo car producing these numbers. there is simply nothing like it.

I started this project after a ride in a Supra a few years back that truly opened my eyes to what fast was. at the time I was almost finished building a forged 355 solid roller nitrous motor for our 96 polo LT4.. she was around 430 on motor to the wheels and we never shot the juice to it before I decided to change directions and be done with the unstreetable solid roller cam headache and begin the more docile daily driver approach that surpassed what I could do on motor alone.

I have accomplished my goals and would like to discuss with whomever is interested possibly doing a group sale. one off's aren't very worthwhile as I am just a one man show with all the tooling and equipment but the material costs up front in this economy isn't something I have to put forth right now.

I am planning on reopening my old hobby business, Next Generation Motorsports, LLC and would like to be dedicated to the C4 community both LTx and ZR1 for turbocharged forced induction.

as was mentoned the current system is a violent setup bringing alot of power on very early, great for a street kit that might not want to run 20psi of boost because on pump gas and 14psi it is MUCH more manageable with very little lag. enough boost response to have the Kenne Bell and Whipple C5 guys on their toes!

for an all out power monster, there are other turbo units that will bring boost on more manageable and extend the power curve deeper in the rev range producing a long broad torque curve with ever increasing power to redline. I have made turbocharging cars a passion of mine over the last 9 years now and have built several cars for boost. the other of which is below a toy car I built from a ragged out 92 Mitsubishi Eclipse. You can get a feel for my level of quality in fabrication and the way I do things by the pictures above and by the pictures int he video of the car below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB3eVx4Ggnk

Please do not hesitate t email me with any questions or comments, I am more then happy to take the time to answer them for you and be of as much assistance as I can.

thanks guys!! and glad to have been invited to the site!

Chris

Cool Beans !

Impressive vette you have ! Look forward to seeing more of it in the future.
Posted on: 2008/12/1 23:14

Guru Newb
16 Posts

thanks guys! I should have some upgrades here by the end of the week, the plan is to have it back ont he dyno this saturday to go for the 900rwhp mark gonna see if I can get 25psi out of this turbo and what it ends up with at that boost range.

I will certainly update this forum for sure!

Chris
Posted on: 2008/12/2 0:40

Josh Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Hey guys, I saw the dyno pull in person, and rode in the car on the way to/from the dyno.

The thing is amazing. Pile on all the superlatives you want, but until experienced, you can't really explain the car. I was the one on the other forum who described the car as Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, and that really is the best way to describe the car. Chris could take anyone on this forum for a ride, tell them the car was stock with a cat back, and they would believe him. It's that docile. However, put your foot in it...

Anyone considering a kit will be more than happy with the results, attention to detail, reliability, drive ability, and overall quality of the system.
Posted on: 2008/12/2 3:02

Guru Newb
16 Posts

Thanks Josh,

that is the idea behind these kits is to offer the end user an option to make alot of horsepower and torque without the blower whine or rattle and shake of a heads/cam package.

I am in the works of getting setup on this site as a supporting tuner so I will be adding my company website and contact information as that comes to pass. but I want to make it known that the C4 community WILL have an option for tubocharged forced induction in the very near future. Pricing has already been started for production kits and will be released after I am a bonafide vendor/tuner on this forum!

Chris
Posted on: 2008/12/2 23:36

jsup Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

This sounds really really cool. do you have a shot of the exhaust manifolds?

Is this just an LTX kit or will it fit a gen1 small block?
Posted on: 2008/12/3 0:00

Guru Newb
16 Posts

Jsup,

this will fit 84-96 cars regarding the manifolds and turbo placement int he engine compartment but accessory locations for certain years mostly the L98 cars will need to be addressed. I will be searching for a 91 and a vertical radiator model year in the near future to nail down a less intrusive design.

I will also be doing rear mounts for those not interested in doing some underhood modifications for fitment.. this will be more for the stock motored enthusiasts who just want a little more power without giving up driveability

Chris
Posted on: 2008/12/3 5:48

Guru Newb
16 Posts

I will also be doing various level of tuner kits which will be most intrusive to the engine bay but will yield power making potential over 1000rwhp. this will be the next kit that is built in conjunction with the ZR1 twin turbo kit.

Chris
Posted on: 2008/12/3 5:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

845 ft/lbs at 3500 rpm. That will change earths rotation.

I am in awe.
Posted on: 2008/12/3 7:24

cuisinartvette Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Not that I could ever do anything like this but what would it take to do something like that in an old school carbureted car? All kinds of empty space under the hood (and between the ears too)

Hoe do you control boost, fuel press.etc
Posted on: 2008/12/3 8:04

Guru Newb
16 Posts

cuisinartvette,

a carb setup is relatively simple. it requires rejetting of the carburetor and works best with a CARB Box, which simply an enclosure around the carb to equalize the pressure differential on the outside of the carb and the inside so that the venturi effect continue to work as intended with an equal pressure differential. obviously in doing this the fuel system will require a pressure regulator with a 1:1 boost pressure to fuel pressure ratio meaning as boost pressure increases, fuel pressure increases to maintain the correct base fuel pressure to the carb bowls and continue operating as intended. fuel system upgrades are of course required because most carb motors do not use high pressure pumps and if boost in the 20psi range is to be seen then the pump would need to be able to comfortably supply the volume requirement and the increased pressure to match boost pressure on the 1:1 ratio.

other then that the jetting take s some tweaking to perfect and I would recommend sending the carb to one of the various tuners who have perfected the modifications to the carb to get you close enough that the changes you'll make from that point forward will be no more mysterious then the ones you'd make to a naturally aspirated carbed motor.

timing of course would need to be dealt with, but with the various ignition controllers out on the market today even a tunable laptop ignition controller that utilizes a map sensor and can adjust the curve through boost is available.

carb's can successfully run with turbochargers but some of the benefits of fuel injection are lost on the fueling side. some benefits to a carb turbo setup is the fuel coming out of the carb will have more impact on cooling the air charge because it has a longer path to travel before reaching the back of the intake valve for each port so the latent heat of vaporization has a longer time to work and more heat can be pulled from the compresed inlet charge!

Hope this answers your question, feel free to hit me up if you'd like any further information!

Chris
Posted on: 2008/12/3 15:32

tpi421vett Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

Hey Chris, welcome to Corvette Guru. This is a good forum, and I'm sure you will see some old CF names you haven't seen in a while.
Posted on: 2008/12/3 23:29
450ci now with AFR 235...

Guru Newb
16 Posts

tpi421vett,

Thanks for the welcome and it is nice to see some old friends from the early days of corvette forum! I look forward to spending alot fo time here!!!!

PSSST Moderators, think they may offer a forced induction section?? hint hint!!

Chris
Posted on: 2008/12/4 2:28

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Lcvette wrote:
Jsup,

this will fit 84-96 cars regarding the manifolds and turbo placement int he engine compartment but accessory locations for certain years mostly the L98 cars will need to be addressed. I will be searching for a 91 and a vertical radiator model year in the near future to nail down a less intrusive design.

I will also be doing rear mounts for those not interested in doing some underhood modifications for fitment.. this will be more for the stock motored enthusiasts who just want a little more power without giving up driveability

Chris

Hey, why look for a 91? I have a 90. Same car!! Since I'm such a giver, Id be more than happy to let you use me for a guinea pig.....

Kidding....Greg, of Carroll Supercharging, keeps telling me I should go with a blower. Tells me we could run 4-5 lbs...he's dying to do it. I wouldn't want to deal with him if I went turbo.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 2:30

anesthes Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

Hey, why look for a 91? I have a 90. Same car!! Since I'm such a giver, Id be more than happy to let you use me for a guinea pig.....

Probably wants the later bumpers and molding. I had to get rid of mine too. The 84-90 cars look like turds. 91-96 is a lot nicer.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2008/12/4 12:41

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:

Probably wants the later bumpers and molding. I had to get rid of mine too. The 84-90 cars look like turds. 91-96 is a lot nicer.

-- Joe

I used to think that too. However, the rear bumper of the early models won me over, but I do like the front of the newer ones.
The rear bumper on the older style, to me anyway, look more aggressive.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 14:53

88BlackZ51 Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Senior Guru
481 Posts

wow, what a statement.

so your saying that 84-90 C4's all like like terds?

omg!
Posted on: 2008/12/4 15:14

88BlackZ51 Re: Check out this Turbo 355 LTX
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

Lcvette wrote:
Jsup,

Chris

Kidding....Greg, of Carroll Supercharging, keeps telling me I should go with a blower. Tells me we could run 4-5 lbs...he's dying to do it. I wouldn't want to deal with him if I went turbo.

I think that's a great idea, then you will make over 600chp.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 15:16

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I have a 91, and I'm pretty local. I'm broke as fuck, so if you'll supply the green I'll supply the ride.
Posted on: 2008/12/4 23:38

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

I think that's a great idea, then you will make over 600chp.

You're probably right. I was joking, I can't spend the money right now anyway. When I can I'll let you know. Glad to see you're concerned enough to comment.

When I decide to pull the trigger, we'll discuss it for about two weeks, to validate what I learned, or to see if I asked all the right questions. See, I like to do things, not talk about them endlessly and speculate what may be while seeking peer validation through build decisions.

By the time I talk about it, I've done some real research and made the decision to go and just do it. Otherwise it's just annoying everyone.
Posted on: 2008/12/5 13:26

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

wow!

OK, I just burst out laughing in the office. Everyone looked at me.

Every response to me now I guess starts with WOW!!! This has to be the what, 20th, 30th time?

I like it...funny funny stuff.

Thanks for the laugh man, needed it on a Friday!
Posted on: 2008/12/5 15:30

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Enough you two. One of you needs to be the bigger guy and just not respond.
Posted on: 2008/12/5 16:19

Guru Newb
16 Posts

this thread has seemed to go off track a bit... if anyone has any questions about the turbocharging of a C4 corvette I will be scanning the new threads for any and all questions you may have!

Chris
Posted on: 2008/12/5 17:13

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Hey Chris, sorry.

Yes, when you put together something that will work on a Gen1 small block, I'd be interested to see what it looks like, and what it would cost.

Based on the money I recently spent, not something I'd do in the next six months, but for next winter, likely.

Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/12/5 17:15

Guru Newb
128 Posts

Quote:

Josh wrote:
Enough you two. One of you needs to be the bigger guy and just not respond.

Seems like every thread I read on this forum ends up with these two arguing. No wonder I don't visit here often.
Posted on: 2008/12/6 0:21

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.