Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
363 user(s) are online (309 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Automatic Slip Regulation
Also known as ASR; ie traction control.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1992....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

BrianCunningham Toyota
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Posted on: 2010/1/29 17:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: Toyota
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

I saw it earlier, just never posted it. Hopefully they resolve their issues.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/29 18:51

biggrizzly Re: Toyota
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I'm fix'n to lay a lawsuit on them for causing harm to my Mom!! or go down there and blacken a few eyes!!

She bought a new Avalon three weeks ago against my wishes (but its her decision). She bought a top of the line car with full trim. I think it cost her around $38k. She traded in an older Avalon and has been a loyal Toyota customer for years. She took about $25k of her savings to bring the payment down enough for them to make the payment. the car has less than 500 miles on it and she is scared to drive it now. She has high blood pressure as it is and her nerves are shot anyhow. This additional worry had her upset and my dad wound up taking her to the hospital on Wednesday night because her blood pressure was so high ( a result of her worrying about her car purchase.)

I know this sounds silly, but it is an example of how some people react to this kind of news. I have told her to relax and tried to explain the problem and issues with the accelerator and that her car would probably never see the issue surface. I think she is worried about potential resale of the car, but then I don't expect her to sell the car anytime soon.

I hope those guys at Toyota come up with a decent fix for these cars and soon.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 19:05

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Sorry to hear about your mom, Don! I'm sure she'll get better soon, but she'll never want to drive that car again. It's cursed in her eyes. It's an unfortunate thing, but Toyota is gonna take a big hit from this.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/29 19:12

TommyT-Bone Re: Toyota
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I heard on the news this morning that they have engineered the fix. A stock advisor was praising them for shutting down the assembly line and halting production till it could be corrected. According to the advisor, they did this even though it was not required and are taking swift action to correct the problems and acting very responsively. Maybe he had stock in the company. Was your Moms car an effected model?
Posted on: 2010/1/29 19:17

DaleD Re: Toyota
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Toyota has a lot of earned good will. They're spending some of it here, but I think they'll be ok. On the good side, they did halt production and sales, something I don't think we've seen before from an automaker.

Oh, and drive by wire sucks.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 19:18

BrianCunningham Re: Toyota
Senior Guru
7763 Posts

d@mn, sorry to hear that grizzly

BTW the only reason they stopped selling them is because the DOT made them.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 19:19

4543 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Was your Moms car an effected model?

To the best of my knowledge. I've tried digging into exactly what cars in a model group might be included and right now every vehicle in the six models identified are likely candidates for the issue with the gas pedal.

I think the whole "floor mat" recall was an early attempt at covering up the "gas pedal sticking" issue. We will see what comes of this.

Autoweek states that Toyota has known about this problem since 2005 when it was an issue with some Tundra models.
Posted on: 2010/1/29 19:22

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/money/22371004/detail.html

Quote:
Here is a list of recent recalls issued by Toyota Motor Corp. and the vehicles involved.

Sept. 30, 2009: Toyota warns owners to remove floor mats from their vehicles because of the potential for them to trap the accelerator, causing sudden acceleration.

Oct. 5: Toyota recalls 3.8 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles in the U.S. because floor mats could trap the gas pedal. It's Toyota's largest U.S. recall. Models involved are the 2007-2010 Camry, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2004-2009 Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Tundra, 2007-2010 Lexus ES350 and 2006-2010 IS250/IS350.

Nov. 24: Toyota recalls 110,000 Tundra trucks from the 2000-2003 model years because excessive corrosion could cause the spare tire to come loose.

Nov. 25: Toyota announces a plan to fix the floor-mat problem by shortening the accelerators so they won't get stuck against the floor mat. It also expands the number of vehicles involved to a total of 4.2 million.

Jan. 21, 2010: Toyota recalls 2.3 million Toyota vehicles in the U.S. because the accelerator pedal can stick, causing unintended acceleration. It is not related to the floor mat recall, although about 1.7 million of the vehicles are also involved in both recalls. Models involved are the 2009-2010 RAV4, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2005-2010 Avalon, certain 2007-2010 Camrys, 2010 Highlander, 2007-2010 Tundra, 2008-2010 Sequoia.

Jan. 26: Toyota temporarily suspends U.S. sales of the eight models whose accelerator pedals can stick.

Jan. 27: Toyota adds 1.09 million models to the floor mat recall. Models involved are the 2008-2010 Highlander, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Venza, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2009-2010 Pontiac Vibe.

Jan. 28: Toyota recalls 75,500 vehicles in China for the same acceleration pedal problem as the U.S. recall. Toyota RAV-4 SUVs made between March 2009 and January 2010 are affected.

Jan. 28: Toyota says it will recall vehicles in Europe because of the accelerator problem, but says it doesn't yet know how many.

Jan. 28: Ford Motor Co. halts production of the Transit Classic van in China because it contains gas pedals built by the same company that built Toyota's. Ford began production of the Transit Classic in December and had built 1,600 vans.

the Pontiac Vibe may catch some owners off guard
Posted on: 2010/1/29 19:26

Ultraman Re: Toyota
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14739 Posts

They had a big article in the new Car and Driver about what to do if the gas peddle gets stuck. First was overide it with your brakes and they did a lot of testing to see if that would work, it did. Then they said you could put the car in nuetral or push in the clutch. (you think?) Lastly you could turn off the car but there goes the steering and power brakes. Or you could run into trees and stuff like Tiger did.
Posted on: 2010/1/30 1:21

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

pianoguy Re: Toyota
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
They had a big article in the new Car and Driver about what to do if the gas peddle gets stuck. First was overide it with your brakes and they did a lot of testing to see if that would work, it did. Then they said you could put the car in nuetral or push in the clutch. (you think?) Lastly you could turn off the car but there goes the steering and power brakes. Or you could run into trees and stuff like Tiger did.

Har! Speaking of Tiger:

Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/1/30 2:28

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Dads90 Re: Toyota
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

I have the 09 Highlander and the vin number starts with "J" so according to Toyota it is not affected. Always been a Toyota fan. I will continue to buy them. They are daily drivers, keeps the mileage off the vette.
Posted on: 2010/1/30 3:25

TommyT-Bone Re: Toyota
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Reminds me of the Ford/Firestone debacle. :fall:
Posted on: 2010/1/30 11:53

Ultraman Re: Toyota
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14739 Posts

Or the Audi sudden acceleration fiasco in the 80's that about did them in.
Posted on: 2010/1/30 17:13

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

bogus Re: Toyota
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The C&D article tested a Camry V6 against an Infinity G37 (plus a Roush Mustang, but that isn't really relevant!).

The interesting fact: There are no obvious international standards on how Drive By Wire systems safe.

The Nissan system has the following specs and safety features:

1. If you hit the brakes, the throttle closes.
2. If you hit the start button for 2.5 seconds the engine shuts off.
3. If you hit the start button several times in quick succession, the engine shuts off.

The Toyota has the following specs and safety features:

1. If you hit the start button for 3.5 seconds the engine will shut off.

Yup. That's it.

I suspect the fix will be to add, at the very least, the throttle shut off.

I think the next move will be by NHTSA to request the DOT to mandate better standards.
Posted on: 2010/1/30 17:50

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pr0zac Re: Toyota
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i don't see the need for drive by wire. seems like you are adding too much to a simple system. how are the chances of voltage spikes and/or crossing of wires not a potential hazard. and i would rather lose power steering and be slowing down then WOT into another car/truck/bus/child/brickwall
Posted on: 2010/1/30 17:58

bogus Re: Toyota
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree. I don't see the purpose for it.
Posted on: 2010/1/30 18:01

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

me either

kind of has me worried about the truck

and that system is all linked in with the active handling.
Posted on: 2010/1/30 20:19

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Reminds me of the Ford/Firestone debacle. :fall:

Or the Ford crown vics that the cruise control was going haywire on and sending them into walls. Similar to what the Toyotas are doing, but not as wide spread.
Posted on: 2010/1/30 23:09

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

How's this for irony?

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/83184417.html?showAll=y&c=y

Quote:
Man’s truck strikes BR Toyota dealership

A man who attempted to return his recalled Toyota pickup truck to All Star Toyota on Airline Highway on Saturday crashed into the dealership building when his allegedly faulty accelerator stuck, the Baton Rouge Police Department reported.

The crash caused extensive damage to the truck involved, but no major injuries were reported, said Lt. Todd G. Lee Sr., chief of administrative services for the Police Department.

Mikel Valviva sought to return his truck to the dealership at 9150 Airline Highway, saying he no longer wanted it because of the recall on the accelerator, Lee said.

The dealership’s manager, Joe Costanza, offered to repair Valviva’s truck and loan him a car in the meantime, Lee said.

Matt McKay, owner of the All Star Automotive Group, said Costanza explained to Valviva on three separate occasions on Saturday that the dealership could not refund his money for the truck.

McKay said the process during the recall requires dealerships to provide a loaner car while the recalled vehicle is repaired.

Valviva refused the offers and tried to leave the dealership, but his gas pedal stuck, Lee said. The truck accelerated forward, striking the building, Lee said.

EMS personnel treated Valviva and his passenger for minor injuries on scene, Lee said.

McKay said a cosmetic column on the building received only minor damage.

Costanza confirmed Valviva’s truck is one of the models included in the recall, Lee said.

The investigating officer found no evidence the incident was intentional, Lee said.

“He didn’t have enough evidence to say that definitively,” Lee said.

McKay said he had “no comment” when asked if he believed the incident was accidental.

This is the first report of an accident caused by a faulty accelerator on a Toyota in the Greater Baton Rouge area, Lee said.

McKay said Valviva bought the truck in March 2009, and he had “no previous complaints or issues with the gas pedal.”

Attempts by The Advocate to reach Valviva on Saturday afternoon were unsuccessful.

Toyota Motor Co. said Tuesday it was suspending the sale of eight models and recalling more than 2 million cars because the gas pedals could become harder to press, slower to spring back or stuck.

Sean Kane, director of Safety Research and Strategies, a consumer group that conducts research into motor vehicle safety issues, said his firm has identified 2,274 incidents of sudden unintended acceleration in Toyota vehicles leading to at least 275 crashes and 18 deaths since 1999, the Associated Press reported.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 21:27

CentralCoaster Re: Toyota
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I think more people have been electrocuted by cross walk buttons since 1999.

Part of the problem is cars are so "user friendly" now that people have no clue how to drive them. Gas, brake, steering, don't bother me with anything else!

A throttle cutoff would suck for anyone trying to race their Toyota. One more reason not to buy a new car. My truck had electronic throttle, and a really shitty shift sequence on the transmission I hated it. Unresponsive, and I don't need a computer interpreting how it thinks I should be accelerating.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 21:50

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
i don't see the need for drive by wire. seems like you are adding too much to a simple system. how are the chances of voltage spikes and/or crossing of wires not a potential hazard. and i would rather lose power steering and be slowing down then WOT into another car/truck/bus/child/brickwall

I can't wait for the brake-by-wire. Another new way to die.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 21:52

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

skip shift was the 1st thing I killed on my car.

My traction control, even though it leaved the trottle cable connected, can be rather annoying, but it doesn't hold it OPEN under any circumstance.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:03

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The old cars had throttle linkage. You could pull the pedal up if it somehow got jammed.

Then we got throttle cables. Cables are great for pulling the throttle open, not so good for pushing it shut.

Now we're onto potentiometers and stepper motors and a computer program.

Fuck yeah let's make it more complex, that'll fix it.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:18

BillH Re: Toyota
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

:toothy5:

Attach file:

jpg  33620(Pull%20Back%20on%20Pedal_THUMB.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:25

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

That works. IF you have linkage or if the jam is on the pedal itself.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
That works. IF you have linkage or if the jam is on the pedal itself.

Yea, just kiddin'.

Most of the racecar stuff uses a cable but, we do use double or triple return springs.

The throttle by wire thing is stupid..
Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:53

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
My traction control, even though it leaved the trottle cable connected, can be rather annoying, but it doesn't hold it OPEN under any circumstance.

Mine's in the "always off" mode.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:54

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Mine's in the "always off" mode.

The only traction control in my car is in the driver's seat.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:57

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Oh my F-150 I could snap the throttle to the floor and back without the truck even doing anything.

If you hold it there, it takes a second for the computer to realize it's what you intended, and even then it ramps up the throttle. In 2nd gear. Lame.

All they need now is a window that pops up on the dash saying "Are you sure you want to use the throttle? Click OK to continue."

The little indoor karts here have a ignition cutoff switch on the brake, which makes it impossible to stay in the powerband in braking zones. For something with gears, you need it for matching revs on downshifts. Although on the street, I wouldn't mind having less people drive with a foot on each pedal.
Posted on: 2010/2/3 1:05

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:

The only traction control in my car is in the driver's seat.

Matthew

Same here. But that's usually in the "OFF" mode also.Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/2/3 1:11

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

Oh my F-150 I could snap the throttle to the floor and back without the truck even doing anything.

If you hold it there, it takes a second for the computer to realize it's what you intended, and even then it ramps up the throttle. In 2nd gear. Lame.

Yea, the Expedition (diesel) I towed with at the race shop was like that. Drove me absoutely nuts.
Especially after getting out of a racecar with instant throttle response.
Posted on: 2010/2/3 1:47

Danspeed1 Re: Toyota
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I think more people have been electrocuted by cross walk buttons since 1999.

Part of the problem is cars are so "user friendly" now that people have no clue how to drive them. Gas, brake, steering, don't bother me with anything else!

True Story! This is exactly the problem. Even the new C6 is annoying at times... when I get in the car I just shut all that shit off, and "drive the car" the way it was meant to be driven. If I want to power slide the car, I don't need it telling me not to... that's what the girlfriend is for.

People really don't know how to drive anymore... saw a women in a minivan yesterday on the highway, talking on the cell phone, and driving on the shoulder at 70MPH. If only I was a cop.......

DG
Posted on: 2010/2/3 5:32
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Steve (Apple) Wozniak on his Prius

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/techn ... ozniak-apple-toyota-.html

Quote:
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak gets help with his Toyota problem
February 2, 2010 | 7:21 pm

Apple Inc. co-founder Steve “Woz” Wozniak has seen his share of software glitches in the gadgets he has created and in those he collects.

Wozniak But Wozniak said he was surprised several months ago when his 2010 Toyota Prius started accelerating on its own — to as much as 97 mph — when he used cruise control to increase the vehicle’s speed. He said he had to tap the brakes to stop the car from accelerating.

Wozniak, 59, wanted to alert Toyota Motor Corp. and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to the possible safety issue, but he grew frustrated when no one would listen.

Thanks to a media blitz Tuesday — including an appearance on CNN — Toyota engineers are going to borrow Wozniak’s car for a week to diagnose the problem, he said. A Toyota spokesman confirmed that the automaker has reached out to Wozniak.

Toyota has recalled millions of vehicles and temporarily halted the sale of eight models because of reports of unintended acceleration. Toyota has not recalled Wozniak’s model, which has a steering-wheel-mounted radar cruise control.

Wozniak is famous for collecting technology he likes including Segways, iPhones and Priuses. “No product is perfect,” he said. “I would buy another one.”

-- Jessica Guynn
Posted on: 2010/2/3 14:08

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

OMG the DOT just issued a STOP DRIVING

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35216587/ns/business-autos/
Posted on: 2010/2/3 16:10

4543 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

He did change his tune quickly and then said that they should take them to the dealership now to get them fixed.

I wonder if it will really fix the problem or if it is just a band-aid? My Mom is supposed to take hers in this week.
What a mess for people and Toyota!
I told her to by a Malibu
Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:33

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

any chance she's getting a free rental car out of the deal?
Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:40

4543 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
any chance she's getting a free rental car out of the deal?

I doubt that!! On the other hand, my Chevy dealer has given me loaner cars when my Vette has been in for service and I was stuck with nobody to shuttle me back home.
Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:46

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

I can't help but think this is in part a political move to increase auto sales for the big 3. Especially Government Motors. I've never seen such nonsense. Yeah, sticky pedals are a problem that need to be addressed, but stopping the presses over that small percentage and causing this mass hysteria is ridiculous.
Posted on: 2010/2/3 17:50

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Now, it's the Prius's turn, problems with the antilock brakes. Another recall coming.
They say it's a software glitch.

Maybe they should put another computer in the cars to monitor the other computers.
Posted on: 2010/2/4 13:45

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

updated recall guide for all those effected

http://www.autoblog.com/toyota_recall/guide
Posted on: 2010/2/4 18:18

4543 Posts

Mom is getting the car fixed now as I type. Her mechanic at the Toyota Dealer said the replacement part is exactly like the one it is replacing, only its not made from plastic like the faulty parts.

I'd love to see this... Anyhow I told her to run, don't walk and get that car fixed so she can sleep at night.

Don
Posted on: 2010/2/4 18:48

JrRifleCoach Re: Toyota
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

A little distraction.......

February 4, 2010
Toyota Says Cup Holders Still Working Great
Rest Your Beverages With Confidence, Says Carmaker

TOKYO (The Borowitz Report) – Embattled automaker Toyota today said that despite problems with accelerators and brakes, the cup holders on its most popular car models were “perfectly safe to use.”

“Feel free to enjoy the beverage of your choice and know that you can rest it in one of our cup holders with confidence,” said Tokyo spokesman Hiroshi Kyosuke.  “Our cup holders are world-class.”

But Mr. Kyosuke’s upbeat comments about Toyota’s cup holders were undercut somewhat later in the day by congressional testimony from Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.

“You should only feel safe to use your cup holder if your Toyota is parked in your driveway,” Mr. LaHood said.  “At 80 miles per hour, the cup holder becomes a rocket launcher.”

Toyota’s stock plunged 17 percent on the Transportation Secretary’s remarks, prompting him to issue the following statement:

“Opposite of what I said.”
Posted on: 2010/2/4 20:06

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

"Toyota President apologizes... again, calls situation a "crisis" "
Resized Image
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/05/to ... ation-a-crisis/#continued
Posted on: 2010/2/5 18:21

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Posted on: 2010/2/9 17:47

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.