Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
277 user(s) are online (235 user(s) are browsing Forums)

captmike13, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  LT4
Engine used in 1996, all manual equipped cars came with this engine....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Matatk Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Well, I'm calmed down a bit but still not the happiest camper. If you checked yesterday's thread my motor came out to a lot more than expected. Mostly due to add ons that we discussed and were necessary, but a few hidden charges as well. And I can't pick it up today because I have no pickup truck. It was suggested to rent one, because the cost is minimal. The problem is that's the way this entire build has been. Well, I'll just add this because it's only $50. Two of those is $100. Couple more is $200. Then $500.....it doesn't stop if you keep adding things just because. I still have close to $1000 left with peripherals....chip, finish the exhaust, afpr (another just because I already bought), starter rebuild, alternator repair, oil changes x2, fresh trans fluid, fresh antifreeze & water, spark plugs, etc. It's not a short process. I know in the end it will make me happy, but it's a painful process.

Wise is the man who says "keep your car stock".

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/5/6 12:44

biggrizzly Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Matt- it only gets worse!! Hang in there! When I decided to replace my water pump two years ago it cost me about $6,000 in hidden costs!
I laugh now but it was really the same thing, hundred bucks here, fifty bucks there. New tools, this and that. Wound up adding up to a lot of money. So, I feel your pain.
That's why I'm so concerned about my little spun bearing. I know it could get out of control again if I'm not careful.

I'm not feeling so hot this morning, so I called in sick. I'm going to get caught up on some things and then maybe go get my car and bring it back here this afternoon. It will be challenging to get it into the garage oriented correctly. I'm hoping the flatbed driver is good enough to place it exactly where I want it.

Keep smilin'
Posted on: 2010/5/6 12:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I'm a bit sick too. Wife got something her doctor called whooping cough, and I got it from here before we really even knew what she had.

I still did the garbage this morning like a champ, went for a run, gonna drop off a sterility sample as part of my post vasectomy process, go to the gym, and work on the Vette.
Posted on: 2010/5/6 13:18

pianoguy Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Hope it'll all be worth it in the end, Matt!

They actually used the word "snow" in the forecast for this weekend. Not sure if we'll get any, but the Dakotas and northern MN have a chance. Delightful
Posted on: 2010/5/6 13:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

teebee Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Morning guys....

Matt, unfortunately you have to go through with it. It's a b!tch, but it will be worth it in the end. I know that Don went through that not that long ago.

DB....I remember those days, mine came back positive and they had to go in again......

Brad, I saw that on the weather this morning...yuk. We are to be at 85* this afternoon and then a big cool down for tomorrow 62*.

Got to get out in the shop, I got someone trying to cut their fingers off.
Posted on: 2010/5/6 14:08

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

CorvetteBob Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

Sorry to hear about the upset Matt. The costs do add up alot more quickly than we realize. From what I've seen and heard from others, and also experienced myself there is only one way to properly budget a project.
Sit down and add up the price of the parts and discuss labor costs with the shop doing the work. Decide on any other changes you might make,and add in the costs of those parts. Finally add in tools you might need.

Take all these costs and itemize them in an organized fashion to show the subtotals. Take the subtotals and add them up to get the cost of the project. Then comes the "reality" charge. Take the above total and double it to get a true approximation of what it'll really cost. That's what I've seen happen almost every time. Best of luck to you.
Posted on: 2010/5/6 14:41

TommyT-Bone Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I still have swimmers.

It's my wife that has a brick wall.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll be like Marlon Brando or Larry King or some of these other rich and famous people who procreate till their dead. Only thing I need to do is become rich and famous.

Matt, you knew going in. If you want to get it running, it's gonna cost some dough. Nothing is worse than a messed up car. If you sell it, you get clubbed, if you fix it, you get clubbed. When they suggest you buy the latest car in the best condition you can afford there is a very good reason. These are hobby cars for most and at times it can be a very expensive hobby. At least you get something to show for your money and hard work. I can understand why your down a little. The only thing I've learned when it comes to owning twenty plus year old cars (we have 4) .....

It's always somethin'

I'm draggin a little today. I did 6 and out. Looks like tonight is must-go night. Leftovers must go. I don't feel like makin anything.
Posted on: 2010/5/6 19:36

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Posted on: 2010/5/6 19:44

Matatk Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Stopped by and saw the engine today, talked to my engine guy. Man does that motor look sweet. All painted black with the aluminum heads....wow. I talked to him about the costs, and he went through a little more in depth about what they did. And it makes more sense now. You can't always prepare for unknown or unexpected machining costs. Plus, there were a few additions and upgrades along the way. He also showed me a few places where he did some porting and balancing work for no charge. Said that saved me an extra $275. So I said thanks.

When he showed me the motor he said "sorry to tell you this, but it's gonna make a lot more power than you wanted it to"....lol. Like that's such a bad thing.

Posted on: 2010/5/6 20:21

1Fast04Vert Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

[quote]

When he showed me the motor he said "sorry to tell you this, but it's gonna make a lot more power than you wanted it to"....lol. Like that's such a bad thing.

Cool, now you need a D44.
Posted on: 2010/5/6 20:43

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:

Cool, now you need a D44.

I hope to hold out on that for a while....
Posted on: 2010/5/6 22:17

biggrizzly Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I had my car towed back home today. Its sitting in the garage all pouty-faced feeling sick and wanting some chicken soup.
Posted on: 2010/5/6 22:46

bastet44 Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Word of the Day for Thursday, May 6, 2010

perpend
\per-PEND\,

verb:
1. To ponder; deliberate.
2. To be attentive; reflect.

noun:
1. A large stone passing through the entire thickness of a wall.
Posted on: 2010/5/6 22:50

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bastet44 wrote:
Word of the Day for Thursday, May 6, 2010

perpend
\per-PEND\,

verb:
1. To ponder; deliberate.
2. To be attentive; reflect.

noun:
1. A large stone passing through the entire thickness of a wall.

I'll perpend I didn't read that.

To kill a perp ... perpend .......
Posted on: 2010/5/7 0:11

Livin_the_dream Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Matt
bottom line any motor costs money. I go Saturday to pick up my 53 Ford Flathead Motor - I've got close to 9 grand into the motor which from factory was 100 HP it now has 150 .. however it has all the modern updates and will be a very reliable motor for many years to come
Like Tommy said old cars is an expensive hobby at times. for me I love every minute of it!
Short video of it running in March at the engine builders

[URL=http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd264/kevinckb3/Hot%20Rod%20build/?action=view¤t=6563e614.flv][IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd264/kevinckb3/Hot%20Rod%20build/th_6563e614.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Posted on: 2010/5/7 2:03

PeteK Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Matt,
Does it look something like this:
[IMG]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t221/vrodpete/100_6285.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/5/7 2:22

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Yup, very similar

I'll let you know about those rods when I talk to him on Monday. I have a funny feeling they got tossed in the scrap pile without him asking me first.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/5/7 2:28

PeteK Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Thanks Matt. I would hate for them to have hit the scrap pile. They are not worth alot, but for someone that is on a super tight budget, they can work well with new bolts, and a quick hone.
Posted on: 2010/5/7 2:50

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Well, this guy builds crazy race motors. I think most of those guys don't want the crap back, unlike cheap ass corvette owners like me. They might only be worth $40, but it's MY $40...lol.

Funny thing today. I asked him for a spec sheet. I told him I wanted to know every single thing about my engine including part numbers. He was surprised. He said 99% of his clients don't give a crap what's inside, as long as it runs and makes power. I was astonished because I know he was serious and not blowing smoke. Some people....

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/5/7 3:00

vetteblondie Re: Thursday Chat 05.06.10
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4654 Posts

Matt, your luck sounds like mine.
I did find a truck I'm wanting though just arguing prices and such.
Learned I missed a bank payment today. Crap. All I needed. No wonder my account balance looked good
And, Must be garnering a reputation for being fast at the new job, I'm getting crap piled on me like stink on poop.
Two more freelance jobs on the way too. For someone that only works 3 days a week, I run my hiney off!
Off tomorrow but a loooooooong list of crap to do, so wont' be able to sleep in like I desperately wanted.
The neighbors have had visitors for two weeks now with two very small NOISY toddlers, that stay up past 11. I have wanted to go to bed early last several nights and could not thanks to them, and one of them left little sticky handprints all over the front of the vette Growllllll.
Posted on: 2010/5/7 3:21

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.