Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
300 user(s) are online (252 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  1983
The year with no Corvette production. There is only one surviving 1983 Corvette. The one 1983 Corvette is in the National Corvette Museum, (NCM), in ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

DaleD Eckler's leather dye - no good.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I dyed my steering wheel and the results are awesome. So, I thought I'd buy some leather dye, since my driver's seat has some wear on the bolster. My interior is flame red, for an 87. Specified that, bought the kit.
First thing I noticed is the kit looks like something a 3rd grader would put together with a chemistry set and his Dad's PC to make the labels. And it worked just about as well.
It's not a dye, it's a paint. And what's worse, the color match is not there, it's about 10 shades off, it's kind of a pink.
The kit is open and used, I have no shot of getting anything back from Ecklers, but I'm warning you guys, if you're looking at dying your seats, stay away from Ecklers. I'm very surprised and disappointed that Ecklers didn't do any quality control on this stuff. I guess Ecklers figures buyer beware. I figure I won't be using Ecklers.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 13:58

biggrizzly Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

What did you use to dye the steering wheel? I'm looking for some dye to touch-up my carpet in some areas.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 14:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I just used black shoe dye. Kiwi I think?

Does a great job.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 15:10

BillH Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I tried the shoe polish thing once, it was OK.

I do think SEM makes the good stuff. And it's available from a forum vendor.

http://www.thepontiactransampage.com/index20.html

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/sealcoat.aspx
Posted on: 2010/4/8 15:27

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:

Shoe dye will do it.
Polish just comes off.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 15:44

BillH Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

BillH wrote:

Shoe dye will do it.
Polish just comes off.

That makes sense.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 15:48

Curtis1974 Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

I used to be a big customer of Ecklers until just recently they screwed me over on an order. Won't buy anything from them again.

I used the shoe polish on mine as well awhile back and it worked just fine. Sorry to hear about the seats.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 16:13

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:
I used to be a big customer of Ecklers until just recently they screwed me over on an order. Won't buy anything from them again.

I used the shoe polish on mine as well awhile back and it worked just fine. Sorry to hear about the seats.

The seats are fine. When I saw what it was doing, I scrubbed most of it off. If it were really dye, there'd be no scubbing off.

The only thing hurt is my wallet, and Ecklers business. I won't buy from them again.
Posted on: 2010/4/8 16:31

Curtis1974 Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
Elite Guru
Bolingbrook, IL
1070 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

Curtis1974 wrote:

I won't buy from them again.

Amen to that!
Posted on: 2010/4/8 16:35

RickAnthony Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
I dyed my steering wheel and the results are awesome. So, I thought I'd buy some leather dye, since my driver's seat has some wear on the bolster. My interior is flame red, for an 87. Specified that, bought the kit.
First thing I noticed is the kit looks like something a 3rd grader would put together with a chemistry set and his Dad's PC to make the labels. And it worked just about as well.
It's not a dye, it's a paint. And what's worse, the color match is not there, it's about 10 shades off, it's kind of a pink.
The kit is open and used, I have no shot of getting anything back from Ecklers, but I'm warning you guys, if you're looking at dying your seats, stay away from Ecklers. I'm very surprised and disappointed that Ecklers didn't do any quality control on this stuff. I guess Ecklers figures buyer beware. I figure I won't be using Ecklers.

Did you try to contact them? And at least tell them about the problem? I bought a vynil grand sport stripping kit from them one time.. I specificly asked does this kit require painting the stripes or is it a complete vynil stripe kit. They said no it looks like it is a complete kit with the center stripe...

So When I got it I was really excited to put it on. I installed the red hash marks, they came out awesome.. so I we to installing the rest of the kit which was on 2 sperate sheets. I roll it out to find it is a "pin striping kit" (like an replica for the original) I called them, talked to the same lady that took my order and explained the problem, I used part of the kit not knowing / not looking at the rest of the kit. she said send back what I didn't use ect.. the credited me for the whole deal... so I would probably buy from them again, if I really needed something and couldn't find a good deal on it somewhere else...

So anyway I would call them and see...
-=Rick
Posted on: 2010/4/12 2:49
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

pappyfreebird Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i use Fiebing's Leather Dye i git local but a place called tandy leather sells it..i been playun wid leathar long time n its good chit,, sumtimes might try a dash a laquare thinner on rag wipe round n then stain specially ifn tryun change a colour..afta readin sumone elses tale of doin wheel awhilst back i went out n did mine n the shifter leather,, black a course so easy..evin used a tinge a silicone in a lil crack let dry ndabbed a tad a die ova it n walla no crackie
Posted on: 2010/4/13 14:45

RickAnthony Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

pappyfreebird wrote:
i use Fiebing's Leather Dye i git local but a place called tandy leather sells it..i been playun wid leathar long time n its good chit,, sumtimes might try a dash a laquare thinner on rag wipe round n then stain specially ifn tryun change a colour..afta readin sumone elses tale of doin wheel awhilst back i went out n did mine n the shifter leather,, black a course so easy..evin used a tinge a silicone in a lil crack let dry ndabbed a tad a die ova it n walla no crackie

Are you using some speech to text software or what?
Posted on: 2010/4/16 3:25
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

RickAnthony wrote:

Now that's funny!

I enjoy pappyfreebird's posts, but I've often wondered how much work it is for him to post in that style, or if it comes naturally?
Posted on: 2010/4/16 17:33

Durango_Boy Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

RickAnthony wrote:

Now that's funny!

I enjoy pappyfreebird's posts, but I've often wondered how much work it is for him to post in that style, or if it comes naturally?

Hard to read sometimes. I have to be in a patient mood to even try anymore. Easier if you skim and don't read every word...kind of looking for the 'theme' of the post and take meaning from that. LOL.
Posted on: 2010/4/17 3:11

flyboy Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

As a student of linguistics I believe Pap's style is Redneck Redux, Deliverance dialect, e.g. northern girls say you can, southern girls say y'all can.
I've been using Fiebing's dye for years. It's a great alcohol based penetrating dye, works on wood also. It will not restore the surface finish on worn leather.
Posted on: 2010/4/17 22:59

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

comes natural fellas to easy thats why nawt evo changed fer them that whine..rekon the logistical term is incoherent babble er foos jibbarish er convoluted derilect er were that dialect wahahahaha at any rate mebee i is simply me

Attach file:

gif  flash.gif (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/4/21 18:27

95Vert Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Umm, back to the dye issue...I've used Leatherique products for a couple of years now. I've refurbished, redyed and did complete color changes with the leather dye they have on a number of automobile seats.

Further, if you send them a swatch of what you have, very small piece from an inconspicuous place, they'll match it exactly. I've done that as well. The dye lasts as I've got two examples running around my household, 95 Miata and 88 RX7 with the repair jobs, as well as the refurbished seats I've sold. Still look great, holds up well. Also redyed the tan door handles white on my wife's 89 VW Cabriolet. Great stuff. Their cleaner and conditioner is awesome as well.

In any case, they have standard and custom dye and also a complete steering wheel kit with a clear to prevent the color from coming off. Very sturdy stuff. Great people, a couple out of Aiken, SC.

Ralf
Posted on: 2010/5/12 16:10

teebee Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

I agree with 95Vert, leatherique.com products are good. I used them to re-dye the seats in my 94. Sent in a swatch and it matched perfectly.

Notice the orange streak across the seam
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/toms94/Maintenence/corvetteseats002.jpg[/IMG]

After prepping and re-dying
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/toms94/Maintenence/Corvetteseatsredye010.jpg[/IMG]

Drivers seat bolster prepped and re-dyed
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/toms94/Maintenence/Corvetteseatsredye008.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2010/5/12 19:13

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

TommyT-Bone Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

pappyfreebird wrote:

This is weird, but interesting!

If you can raed this, you have a sgtrane mnid too

Can you raed this? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in what oerdr the ltteres in a word are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is that the frsit and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can still raed it whotuit a pboerlm. This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed this forwrad it
Posted on: 2010/5/12 19:31

PeteK Re: Eckler's leather dye - no good.
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Ecklers dye has been crap for 20 years. I bought my first can in 1991, and threw it in the trash. Not sure how they continue to profit from it, as I can't imaging a repeat customer. Anyhow, Corvette America has consistantly provided me with decent dye. It is stupid expensive, but works and matches pretty well.
Posted on: 2010/5/12 19:48

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

dare i say i read that jus fine n dandy,,no prolem at all.. fug i r a geneeyus n dint know it...ok leave it alone fellas back ta the dye..ive used feibings fer yrs on ol saddle bags keepin my leathers lookin good etc..yeup there r sum that tried ta keep em noice rathar then make em look ol,,but thats anothar story..feibings has werked good fer refurbishin etc,,made many a denaro restainin patchin up n studdin n wud nawt ol bags...then along came craigslist..chit wiped me right out
Posted on: 2010/5/13 17:42

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.