Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
304 user(s) are online (252 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Aluminum Powerglide
Automatic Transmission - 2 Speed

1st Gear: 1.76/1.82
2nd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1962 thru 1972.
- 14 Bolt Pan.
- Vac...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Yep, February.
I'm just saying Good Morning. Gotta get ready to go fishing. I have a fishing buddy coming over in about an hour. It's good to have a second hand on the boat. Makes things easier. I used to get up at 05:30 and be ready to go by 06:30. Today I got up at 6:15. Told my amigo to be here at 08:00. He'll help me load then we'll go. I'm not bustin my ass for nothin. Just don't have the same motivation I used to have.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 12:11
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

teebee Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

Good morning... No school here not so much for the snow, but for the cold. -5 right now with 30-45 mph winds. My wife still needs to go to work, so I will take her. I have a couple of different projects to work on today, so I'm not going to sit around.

I'll check in later.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 13:16

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

BillH Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

It's 5:15 now, T.
I'm ready to go but your boat's not warmed up.

We have 2 chilly days coming up 35-40 then back to the 50's. This winter's been better than normal by quite a bit.
I hope all you guys get this storm quickly and on to spring ASAP.

I'm doing plumping today, hopefully won't flood the house.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 13:20

pianoguy Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Hidey-ho! Another slow commute, sounds like everybody has lousy weather except Tommy. I didn't get up to 50mph on the drive in until we got to the 45mph zone, go figure. Gonna be a balmy 9 degrees tomorrow. I want my mommy.

For those planning to visit Malawi, pack a cork:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic ... -breaking-wind-crime.html

Have a great day, everyone!
Posted on: 2011/2/1 13:35

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Matatk Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Good Morning CGs!

Spent about an hour last night rearranging the garage (as opposed to cleaning) so my wife could park her car in there in anticipation of the big storm. We got maybe a 1/2 inch or an inch on the ground out there now. But I guess it really won't start until later tonight when we'll get a foot dumped on us. Oh joy. I did fill up the gas can though, in anticipation.

Watching the rugrats today so I should get absolutely nothing accomplished. Awesome.

On a side note, I somehow spent $106 at Home Depot last night...I don't know how. Actually, a fridge filter for $39.99 and house water filter for $16.99 helped the tally. But I got a 10 pack of LED flashlights on clearance for $7. My daughter loves them so they tend to disappear in my house.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Matthew

Weather.gov:
Quote:

Forecast Valid: 8am CST Feb 1, 2011-6pm CST Feb 7, 2011

Today: A chance of snow and freezing drizzle before noon, then snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow after 3pm. High near 25. Blustery, with a northeast wind between 15 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Tonight: Snow and widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 16. Wind chill values as low as -1. Windy, with a north northeast wind between 25 and 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Wednesday: Snow showers before 6am, then snow and widespread blowing snow before noon, then a chance of snow after noon. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 21. Wind chill values as low as -3. Blustery, with a north northwest wind between 15 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 13:52

Vetron87 Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Good Morning Guys. Blizzard warning up for Northern Indiana. 18-24" with winds expected to exceed 45 mph. I seriously doubt if there will be any school tomorrow. We are expecting power outages. Gawd I love this stuff.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 14:14

flyboy Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I wonder if this will top the blizzard of '67. I was a senior in H.S. and was working part time in the dish room at the hospital. Got off work at 7PM went outside and rather than wade though waist deep snow to walk a mile home, I spent the night in the cafeteria. A real adventure.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 14:36

Ultraman Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

No school here much to the delight of my wife (teacher) and Ultraboy. Everybody did their P90X workout and now are having turkey bacon scrambles. Mmmmmmm!

Brad if that was a crime in my house I'd be doing life without parole!

Very cold here and lots of wind. I am going to go fishing with Tommy in my mind today and I don't care if I even catch anything.

Bill, good luck with your plumping. Is that like eating 2 pizzas instead of one.

Spring is coming and the Corvettes will be rolling. Have a good day guys!
Posted on: 2011/2/1 15:31

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
I wonder if this will top the blizzard of '67. I was a senior in H.S. and was working part time in the dish room at the hospital. Got off work at 7PM went outside and rather than wade though waist deep snow to walk a mile home, I spent the night in the cafeteria. A real adventure.

According to our weather winkies this is a winter blizzard of historic significance. Winter of 67 was my senior year also. Got stuck coming back from a swim meet. 61 Chevy conv with a 409 / 410 gears wasn't the best thing in snow! Luckly I was stuck in my drive way!
Posted on: 2011/2/1 15:38

flyboy Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

flyboy wrote:

According to our weather winkies this is a winter blizzard of historic significance. Winter of 67 was my senior year also. Got stuck coming back from a swim meet. 61 Chevy conv with a 409 / 410 gears wasn't the best thing in snow! Luckly I was stuck in my drive way!

I had to borrow dad's car for wheels. Probably a good thing in retrospect. I think the freedom of my own car would have gotten me in trouble. I got in enough without one.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 15:44

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

I had 8 swimmers plus me in the car. As I dropped of each guy I lost weight thus traction issues. We swam a team 10 miles away took 2 hours to get home. Memorable moment. Damn good thing we won that meet.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 16:20

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

flyboy wrote:

Winter of '86, central Penna., I was driving my Chev Van home from work, had a suit & tie on. Blizzard conditions, following a motorgrader plowing up the mountain.

Motorgrader stalled, wouldn't restart. A line of cars stuck out in the open. As usual, I had a snowmobile suit & heavy boots in the van. The highway worker who was driving the grader brings an older lady to the van and asked if she could sit in there as her car quit running.
Snow's getting deeper.
2 hours later, the highway guys come by and say, the plows can't get to us, we have to try and walk to a cabin a half mile from here. So, the lady's in a freekin' dress, unprepared for winter. I have to give her my nice, warm snowmoblie suit & boots.
I have to walk a half mile in wingtips and a trench coat.
Made it to the cabin, another big loader digs thru from the other side of the mountain and I get a ride home in the cab of the loader.
The next day, I fire up the snowmobile and take it out to the van which couldn't be seen cause there's 2 feet of snow above the roof.

But that don't even compare to a normal snow out here on top of Donner Summit.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 16:37

captmike13 Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Good morning gurus. Cold here in N.E. Indiana. First wave of the storm wasn't to bad. We got about 3" of snow and temps in the mid teens. We have a break in the weather till about 1pm.

I don't remember the blizzard of 67 but I do remember the blizzard of 78. The big significance of this storm is the amount of area of the country it is covering at once.
The amount of snow for our area is maybe 1-2ft which isn't much over three days. The storm back in 78 in New England from what I remember dumped about 3-4ft overnight.

Here's our Forecast for the next couple of days.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 16:43

captmike13@yahoo.com

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Hi Bill, my nephew decided to spend some time at his home in Truckee. Is he snowed in?
Posted on: 2011/2/1 16:44

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Hi Bill, my nephew decided to spend some time at his home in Truckee. Is he snowed in?

Hell no, it's been freekin' beautiful here, 2 days ago we had a half inch. For the last 6 weeks, the high temp hasn't been below 48, had 5-6 days in the mid 60's, mostly in the high 50's.

Been workin' in the shop with the garage doors open, tablesaw out in the driveway in the sunshine.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 17:06

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Must be nice! Put in 110 gals of gas in all 3 tanks on the s-10 ready for the blizzard. Expecting 18-24 of blowing a drifting with wind chills of -45. Cool. Ill be movin a lot of snow tonight. Sunshine....whats that!
Posted on: 2011/2/1 17:13

BrianCunningham Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Working from home again

More SNOW! 6-9 tonight, 9-12 tomorrow
Posted on: 2011/2/1 17:26

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

It gets real old after a while! Don't mind the snow but the -45-50 wind chills gets a little crazy! It would be nice to work at home but a little tough to teach wood shop through a computer. .
Posted on: 2011/2/1 17:33

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Just got a call from Erin(zoe6) she is in San Diego at a medical supplier for a day and then off to Hawaii for a week! Much needed vacation time. Good for her! So I get to take care of my furry grand daughter(collie) for a week. This Collie is spoiled!! Loves spaghetti, chicken, and tacos from Taco Hell, has her own bed and goes for a hydro therapy twice a month for her hips. Damn!
Posted on: 2011/2/1 17:43

Huskerland
14746 Posts

I wish I could have hydro therapy not to mention all that great food.

I remember the blizzard of 48. Not that I was born yet but I have heard my old man talk about it every time we would get any weather, that I actually think I can remember it.

He and Ma were on their way back from Montana after Christmas break headed to Lincoln where they went to college on the GI bill. They got caught in Hot Springs S. Dakota and were there a week staying with people who put them up. No cell phones, no TV, food ok because the woman canned garden stuff and meat. They wouldn't take any money for it either.

I told told my Dad at least it wasn't Wall S. Dakota. Brad will understand that. I have seen the pics of the snow and it was impressive.

Dad would then launch into how he almost died at Kadoka S. Dakota one year of food poisining and I do remember that, I must have been about 3 or 4.........but that is a story for another day.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 18:06

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Har! We were in beautiful downtown Wall last summer for a little while. No snowdrifts, thankfully.

Bill, hopefully the karma you built up from lending that woman your snowmobile suit will result in a leak-free plumbing job ;-)

When I die, maybe I'll come back as a collie. Sounds like a nice gig.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 18:43

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I remember one winter when we was tryin' to reach them gold fields in California. Our oxen were tired as we faced the final mountain between us and prosperity.

I asked our leader "Mr.Donner, do you think we'll make it?"

Mr. Donner replied "Hummmm, what's for lunch?"

Attach file:

jpg  donnerparty.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2011/2/1 20:07

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Well looks like the blizzard is upon us. Wind is blowing out there a good 30 mph right now. It's snowing in three different directions at the same time Luckily the wife should be home around 4:30, before the big snowfall. We both have off work tomorrow, so I can snowblow all day long and it doesn't matter if we are stuck in the house.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/2/1 20:25

JeffK Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

I can't even visualize that amount of snow. The most we ever got when I lived in PA was 18" in 93.

Good luck to you all stuck in the path of this storm! Wishing sunshine and spring for all of you.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 20:36

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
I can't even visualize that amount of snow. The most we ever got when I lived in PA was 18" in 93.

I remember a good bit more than that in central Pa.

A prespective: Snowfall here for the season, on the mountain can be 600 inches+.

Good sking though.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 20:45

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I remember one winter when we was tryin' to reach them gold fields in California. Our oxen were tired as we faced the final mountain between us and prosperity.

I asked our leader "Mr.Donner, do you think we'll make it?"

Mr. Donner replied "Hummmm, what's for lunch?"

My brother used to always give the name "Donner" when we'd go out to dinner just so we could get a chuckle when the hostess would say, "Donner, party of 4" :-P

Hope everyone stays safe in the storm - I'm sure Ron is good, but he can't plow EVERYBODY out ;-)
Posted on: 2011/2/1 21:20

TommyT-Bone Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I remember one winter ....... hhhmmmm. Damn .... Now I can't seem to remember it.

Fishing was OK. Nothing great. Mostly small stuff. The boat was very forgiving to me seeing I haven't had it in the water for about 6 months. I started it every couple or three weeks and had the fuel stabilized. I put in a little 91% isopropyl alcohol just in case some water had built up in the tank. Had a half tank in it and your supposed to keep it full. I never do what I'm supposed to. Got alot of sun even though I sprayed down with sun screen. I've had skin cancer removed from my nose so I play it safe when I'm out all day in the sun. When I'm in and out I don't use it. As stated previously, I never do what I'm supposed to do. Lows around 60* high around 78*. Light wind up to 15 knots. Tomorrow night we're going back down to Key Largo with another couple for another crab feast. This weekend is an autocross weekend. Guess we're going. Might have to take the Vettes if my wifes foot isn't ready. That way she can drive the 91 automatic. Sorry guys..... I don't miss the blizzards. What I remember (or don't remember) of them .....
Posted on: 2011/2/1 21:53

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

My boat is the third one up.

Attach file:

jpg  IM000141.JPG (126.22 KB)
852_4d48844c0a9c4.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2011/2/1 22:08

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Bill may remember this picture. Me with the boat.

Attach file:

jpg  IM000144.JPG (108.52 KB)
852_4d4884da300c4.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2011/2/1 22:10

JeffK Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Nice boat Tommy. Glad you had an enjoyable day on the water.
Posted on: 2011/2/1 23:05

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Bill may remember this picture. Me with the boat.

Yea, I recognize those aaaaaaa shoes.
Posted on: 2011/2/2 0:14

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I got a propane delivery today. Between this mild winter and insulation I added to the house, my heating cost from Sept.1 to today was $520.00.

And my plumbing didn't leak.
Posted on: 2011/2/2 0:17

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Good to hear there were no leaks, Bill! Hell, my electric and gas combined last month were about $500

Tough duty, Tommy!
Posted on: 2011/2/2 1:24

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Already went out and snowblowed(?) the driveway and sidewalks twice. I also did neighbor's across the street as he doesn't have a snowblower. The wind it ridiculous. It's impossible to keep the snow from blowing back at you. Sucks. Plus, once you're done, it looks like you never even started. Oh well. Now that I'm inside, the wind is so strong it sounds like it's going to break the windows...seriously.

Good night for an extra pair of socks.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/2/2 1:57

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

It's good and windy here, too, but at least we didn't add much snow today. I suppose I should be happy we're not getting a big-assed cat-5 cyclone like Australia.
Posted on: 2011/2/2 2:38

Huskerland
14746 Posts

Went out to get some things for dinner that I forgot and it was brutal. Not a lot of snow but the wind is a killer. They are saying mid 40's by Friday. Bring it!
Posted on: 2011/2/2 2:41

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

On a positive note, low resevoirs should get a boost from the melting snow. The riverbeds should get a good flushing, maybe it'll push the asian carp back downstream. I wonder if all this ice and snow aids global cooling.
Posted on: 2011/2/2 3:35

teebee Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12368 Posts

Hey guys....it's been a loooooong day. I went to school to do a few things. My jointer knives needed changing, I got that done and I worked the rest of the day (until 6:30pm) on some counter tops. The wind finally went down, only blowing 12-15 mph right now. Still going to be cold tomorrow, 13*. Supposed to be in the low 50's by Friday...bring it on.

Tonight I got my P90 workout done and I'm pooped from the manual labor. We have an early morning tomorrow with a 7am faculty meeting, then a bit of a work day and then I get to work the afternoon session, first round of the league MS b-ball tourney. My GS plays in the afternoon, I hope they decide to play as a team.

Everyone stay warm out there tonight and tomorrow.
Posted on: 2011/2/2 4:21

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Attach file:

jpg  Golf in Winter.jpg (92.69 KB)
852_4d48df02bfec3.jpg 641X481 px

jpg  Course hazard.jpg (488.38 KB)
852_4d48df180c714.jpg 1280X960 px
Posted on: 2011/2/2 4:35

bogus Re: Tuesday Chat 02.01.11
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The weather has been really nice here, too! mid-60s into the 70s for this week.

Except... I have been doing a bit of consulting for my prior employer, so that has been keeping me inside a bit.

Oh, well... off to watch TV!
Posted on: 2011/2/2 5:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.