Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
297 user(s) are online (247 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 36
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

95Vert Drive in this morning
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

was great!!!!! I took the vette and really enjoyed the early morning with the top down, the wind blowing my 3 hairs and the power this car has. (Then I got to the security gate and that stupid shift lockout thing kicked in and started grinding the gears. I still don't know how to drive that real well.)

Anyway, over lunch perusing this posting (18 pages and counting) on Corvette bashing:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread. ... highlight=corvette&page=2

Now, are our cars (C4) really that bad? Slow, negative handling, slow, stereotypical for the midlife crisis? Just read some of the postings...second page has some interesting commentaries. I thought we had some real autocrossing monsters here! Or is this just more garbage on the internet (from a Miata site of all places).
Posted on: 2011/8/12 17:41

"Send lawyers, guns and money..."
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

pianoguy Re: Drive in this morning
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

*lifts gold chain up off of keyboard*

Gotta love driving in the morning with the top off - great way to start the day. You need to get a shift lockout bypass, or have it programmed out - I did that early on, one of the best changes I made. I hated the lockout with a passion.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 18:02

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Ultraman Re: Drive in this morning
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14750 Posts

Funny coming from the Miata bunch.....Corvette envy maybe?

Some lines that caught my attention: V8's are becoming morally untenable......arr arr arr.

Corvette owners are fat gold chain wearing mid life crisis sufferers....I lost 15 lbs damit....

There is virtually no bashing of other makes on the Corvette forums.....except now for those stupid Miatas...

Great signature quote though.....It beckons urgently some days; gnawing within you. Some unknown road...sinewy curves...deep valleys...fat hills in the sun. And you long for it like air; like life itself.

I gotta go out and fire that mother up and find me a fat hill in the sun....
Posted on: 2011/8/12 18:56

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

JeffK Re: Drive in this morning
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Atleast they were talking about Vettes for 18 pages.

Anyway, yes it is always nice to drive into work with the top off.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 19:05

BrianCunningham Re: Drive in this morning
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Member of my club owns a Miata

He took it autocrossing and they game him a PINK shirt

[IMG]http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/BayStateCorvetteClub/2010%20Sep%2012%20Autox/photo.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2011/8/12 19:17

95Vert Re: Drive in this morning
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I also love the fact I can row my own gears, but that's just my car (Yes, I have to install that bypass plug!). I really enjoy it now that I've been able to get it on the road. (Kudos to this group and only this group!)

I have a Miata as well, down to one since my son keeps totalling them, but he drives one as well. I'm appalled that there is so much loathing, but especially of the C4. They go back and forth on the C6, but the C4 is universally reviled. I don't get it.

Andy has said its heavy for an autocross, but I'd like to take it out. Seen plenty of C5's do it.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 20:31

BillH Re: Drive in this morning
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Well...................ah,nevermind.
Posted on: 2011/8/13 13:06

flyboy Re: Drive in this morning
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I only read page two of the thread and it seemed reasonably objective and mostly complimentary. At least it's coming from sports car guys.
What gets me steamed is when I hear "vettes are like a**holes, everybody has one" from one of my sh**box sedan owning acquaintances.
Posted on: 2011/8/13 13:33

pianoguy Re: Drive in this morning
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

My only experience with a Miata is helping to push one up the hill some years back, when a neighbor thought it would be a good idea to drive his in the snow.
Posted on: 2011/8/13 14:04

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

teebee Re: Drive in this morning
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Well, it is great to drive your Corvette to work, top off or on. As for the Miata bunch, I'd say most was envy for not owning a Corvette. Same goes for those people who rag on Corvettes that drive those S...... sedans. personally I think the Miata would be a good entry level sports car, something to learn the nuances of the sports car, without the big power of the V8. Then once the skill of handling comes, move up to the power of the V8.
Posted on: 2011/8/13 14:33

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

Matatk Re: Drive in this morning
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I love driving the vette to/from work. Puts my in a great mood (except for the 8 hours in between)

As far as the miata page...this guy loanshark's signature seems to sum it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogeezer
Well ragging on other cars that cost more and you have never driven is a miata.net tradition.
Posted on: 2011/8/13 22:02

Huskerland
14750 Posts

I would never put the Miata in the same catagory as the Vette. They are more in line with the old British cars like the Triumph TR3 and 4's or the MG-B's or the Austin Healey Sprite. All those cars had their moments but the Vette was always bigger and more powerful.

Now you bring an XK-E or a 289 ACE Cobra or at one time the Ford Thunderbirds into the mix and I think those belong in the same class......but long gone and very pricey to buy one now.

What is out there for sale at this time in history that you would put in the same catagory as the C5 or C6 Vette? Not Pony cars.....Porsche maybe for a lot more....Not the Miata as fun as it is.....nothing I can think of off hand.
Posted on: 2011/8/13 22:46

BeachBum Re: Drive in this morning
Master Guru
751 Posts

They were basically stereotyping the Corvette owner as a middle-aged person who buys the car for wine n cheese runs, but to be honest, in my years of racing, I have seen and competed with hundreds and hundreds of Corvettes.

The Miata's ?.... I do not recall ever seeing a single one at the track.... not even one. And I guess, why would you.... they're dirt slow. I'd stay home too.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 4:54

TommyT-Bone Re: Drive in this morning
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Miatas are cool. Corvettes on the other hand are f@(%ing HOT. We had a couple of Miatas running in our autocross groups, In the hands of a competent driver with some tweeks and track rubber they can be little demons. We had one that consistantly knocked down some of the best times of the day. Corvettes have had their day in the sun too. Check out some SCCA Solo National Champions of the past several years. As far as BillH and Miatas .......... nevermind ......
Posted on: 2011/8/14 8:02

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I have a friend who runs Panicmotorsports out of Columbia, SC. He races Miata's very successfully in wheel to wheel competition all over the Southeast.

They are a fun drive, but very slow.

It is another one of those cars though, that has that feeling of a car you wear as opposed to sit in. The RX7 convertible has the most ergonomic interior, but it is also a "slowtary". Good in the curves The C4 Is great but it is a big hammer. Sometimes what's needed is a Miata. Its a treat to drive. Especially the 93LE with its special suspension.

In any case, I'm working my way through the 18 pages of talk. Interesting comments on the CF as well.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 18:32

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
I have a friend who runs Panicmotorsports out of Columbia, SC. He races Miata's very successfully in wheel to wheel competition all over the Southeast.

That's all well and fine. If someone wants to race Miata's, more power to em.

BUT, those Miata's race against Miata's for the most part.
You could also race Voltswagon Beetles against Voltswagon Beetles. Or you could race indoor gokarts.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 19:13

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Respect that opinion Bill. I may be wrong, I'll have to ask, but I believe he raced quite a few classes(?) and there are all sorts of sports cars there. I think though he also races Miata to Miata as well. Interesting question as I'm curious now.

That said (maybe a new thread here?) I haven't driven a C5 or C6. Are they really that much better than our cars? I'm not necessarily talking at speed on a track, but in all around driveability on the road?
Posted on: 2011/8/15 2:16

Huskerland
14750 Posts

In my opinion they are an improved model, but I have a 90 with the L98 so my C5 was a real step up from that. The 5 is easier for me to get in and out of and since I am 6'2" that is something I like. Smooth, fast and it corners like it's on rails.
Posted on: 2011/8/15 2:52

teebee Re: Drive in this morning
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12370 Posts

Having gone from a 94 LT1 to the 01 LS1 there is a lot of difference....and my 94 was a Z07 too.

I think there is a whole series that the Miata's run in...I've seen a race or two on TV (HD Theater, maybe?)
Posted on: 2011/8/15 3:02

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
Respect that opinion Bill. I may be wrong, I'll have to ask, but I believe he raced quite a few classes(?) and there are all sorts of sports cars there. I think though he also races Miata to Miata as well. Interesting question as I'm curious now.

That said (maybe a new thread here?) I haven't driven a C5 or C6. Are they really that much better than our cars? I'm not necessarily talking at speed on a track, but in all around driveability on the road?

Most guys run in Spec Miata, when they run in IT (Improved Touring) it's usually against RX7's, etc.

Miata's handle OK but so do prepped Honda's, Acura's and Suby's that I've driven (better in the corners than most C4's).

C5/6 - better on the track? Oh, hell yes.
On the road, if you want a Cadillac ride, yea a C5. Sportscar ride - a C4.
But you're talking improved technology with a C5/6, you would expect them to ride better. I'd take either on a long trip.
I like the cockpit feel much more on a C4. And I hate the C5/6 seats. But I still plan to add one to my "collection" one of these days.
Posted on: 2011/8/15 13:46

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
I think there is a whole series that the Miata's run in...I've seen a race or two on TV (HD Theater, maybe?)

Yea, it's called Spec Miata.
It's real popular cause guys think it's an inexpensive way to race. Until they decide that they want to start winning, then big bucks are needed.
Posted on: 2011/8/15 13:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.