Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
281 user(s) are online (260 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  D44
This references the rear differential.

The D36 was the smaller unit. Used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes after that.

The ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

patgizz profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

tonight i was on my way home from lowe's, had to pick up some plumbing stuff to move the washing machine. it was ~10pm, and i took the vette because i'm putting it away sunday for winter hibernation.

i was on a 50mph 2 lanes each way state route going dead on 50mph and i saw a vic coming at me on the other side, it was one of the locals. in my rearview mirror i saw him whip around and gun it and ride my ass for a mile until i hit my signal to turn onto the road that goes to my house.

he came up to the car after a few minutes of blinding me with his spotlight and asked for my license and insurance card, which i politely handed over. i had to open the console to get the card and pop my seatbelt off to get my wallet. then he informed me that i was pulled over because my rear plate cover was too faded for him to rear my plate - which i'm sure he could tell at night with me going 50mph one way and him doing the same in the opposite direction - i'm positive it was enough for him to warrant whipping his car around and flying up on me - so long as he has superman's eyes.

after taking my license and verifying i have insurance he asked me if i was hiding anything, so i said no. then he asked again and my answer was the same. he said "i'm being a nice guy but i hate being lied to, i'm going to ask you one more time and you better tell me the truth, is there anything in this car you are hiding that i need to know about?" and i was like wtf in my brain so i said there is absolutely nothing in this car you need to know about. this exchange went on for 3 or 4 minutes of him repeating himself telling me once he is lied to all bets are off so i better tell the truth. then he was like "what if i ask you if you mind i search your car" so i said no - as in i do not mind. he said "is that a no i cant search or no you dont mind" so i replied "i dont mind" then he asked me again at least 3 times "what if" he asked to search the car until i said "be my guest there is nothing you will find by searching my car." he proceeded to recheck my insurance card and license - which match - and ask whose car it was.

then he got his flashlight in my face and looked me in the eye and told me not to lie to him, and asked me what that silver thing in the console was, flashing his light at the targa top wrench. so i pointed at my phone and asked "oh that? thats my phone" then he asked again so i whipped out the top wrench and gave him a lesson on removing the top on a c4. on top of all that i got the "where are you coming from" twice in a row.

then he said "are you sure when i go run your license there is nothing i should know about - no prior arrests, no warrants?" of course i said no, and he ran it and i came back squeaky clean, i've only had 2 tickets in 12+ years of driving. he said he asked me all those questions because i looked nervous - so i told him that seeing the red and blue lights in your rearview is intimidating when you've done nothing to warrant being pulled over, and he let me go home.

he was a total ass through the process, i was polite till the last sentence, and he shouldnt have even pulled me over in the first place. but i guess a 28 year old shouldnt be driving a nice corvette.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 3:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

vetteblondie Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4651 Posts

DANG!!!! Report his ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's baloney. Harassment at the least!
Yes, profiling. I told a cop I know about that and he couldn't believe you were treated that way. If you were a local known dopehead he could understand but geez. And I feel you on being the young one in the vette. Got my first one at 25 and was hassled a lot.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 4:40

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Calm Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

I was 50 and same story! Do I LOOK like a gang-banger???NO!!!I LOOK like the father in Father Knows Best!

(Oh Crap.....why did I mention that???)
Posted on: 2008/10/31 5:27

TommyT-Bone Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Hell,if you were running dope you'd be driving the BMW 750i or the tricked out Escalade. Wouldn't ya? Huh? Huh? Huh? Wouldn't ya? What do ya say? Huh?
Posted on: 2008/10/31 10:06

Schrade Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Fess up - you're the unsavory type, and you're lucky he didn't open up a fresh can of
Resized Image

and then tote ya' off to the hoosegow, just for bein' you.

(just kiddin' - guess that has to be made clear nowadays)
Posted on: 2008/10/31 12:19

Resized Image

CentralCoaster Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Hell,if you were running dope you'd be driving the BMW 750i or the tricked out Escalade. Wouldn't ya? Huh? Huh? Huh? Wouldn't ya? What do ya say? Huh?

The fact that he thought you were is a compliment to your car, in a twisted way.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 14:31

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I would have told him I'm hiding dope under the back seat. Har har.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 14:32

CSS996 Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

(just kiddin' - guess that has to be made clear nowadays)

OK,OK... Cut me a break, and I'll cut you one. Jeez...
Posted on: 2008/10/31 14:37

cuisinartvette Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Its a PITA but part of their job....I got ordered out of my truck about 6 mos ago by a couple Sheriffs about 8 at night. I just got off the fwy and was pulled over to make a phone call from the peoples house I just left (estimate).
None of those questions, just a "what are you doing here" and "out of thecar". THrew me up against the side of my truck, cuffed me and threw me in the back of their car while the next 20 min they took everything out of the inside. Never said a word the entire time and I knew better than to run my mouth.
What can ya do?
Posted on: 2008/10/31 15:51

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

SpectatorRacing Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I got pulled over for doing about 10 over in a nice suburb at 8 in the morning in my M3, wearing a suit as I was on my way to work. The guy kept asking me if I had guns or weapons in the car. WTF?

I've had my share of stops, some warranted, some not. But in most cases the officers were polite and reasonable. I never understood why that day I looked like I was running guns in Farmington Hills at 8am.

I know in some cases things like that can happen because they're looking for someone in a car similar, and if the description is close enough they have to check. But you'd think they'd tell you that after the interrogation if you proved to be clean.

Like Ron's story, I had to sit in the back of a cruiser for awhile on a traffic stop. I was coming from a hockey game and didn't have my wallet on me because I had left the house wearing sweats (no pockets). Of course they explained to me that they could take the car and impound it as I had no way to prove that it was mine without ID. They made sure I knew what saints they were by letting me go home with my car.

I also got pulled over at 2am in Wyoming once by Barney Fife and his partner. They made us get out of the car, weapons drawn, and insinuated that we were running drugs. But I was with my buddy who looks like a hippy, so I didn't think it was harrassment, just funny
Posted on: 2008/10/31 20:43

patgizz Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

Quote:

What can ya do?

nothing, because there are no police of the police.

he told me my plate has to be readable from 50 feet, funny thing this morning i could read it from in excess of 100 feet.

it was a local guy, barney fife if you will, playing pretend real cop. the local dept has 5 cars and maybe 10 officers.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 23:00

Jeffvette Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Its a PITA but part of their job....I got ordered out of my truck about 6 mos ago by a couple Sheriffs about 8 at night. I just got off the fwy and was pulled over to make a phone call from the peoples house I just left (estimate).
None of those questions, just a "what are you doing here" and "out of thecar". THrew me up against the side of my truck, cuffed me and threw me in the back of their car while the next 20 min they took everything out of the inside. Never said a word the entire time and I knew better than to run my mouth.
What can ya do?

They were looking for those Mexican underage prostitutes that you have been bringing back across the border.
Posted on: 2008/10/31 23:44

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Jeffvette wrote:
Quote:

They were looking for those Mexican underage prostitutes that you have been bringing back across the border.

Whats that got to do with anything?
Posted on: 2008/10/31 23:53

Schrade Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

patgizz wrote:
tonight i was on my way home from lowe's, had to pick up some plumbing stuff to move the washing machine. it was ~10pm

i was on a 50mph 2 lanes each way state route going dead on 50mph and i saw a vic coming at me on the other side, it was one of the locals.

That's a VERY good eye, to know the difference between a crown vic and a grand marquis in the dark goin' 50. Especially if he was COMING at 50.

I think the grid cross-hatching in the parking light lens is a little tighter in the G Marquis. If one is behind me it's still tough to tell, unless my brake lights reflect in the chrome over his grill. G Marquis has a large solid chrome border. C Vic has little reflection.

You must have a sharp eye, my friend...
Posted on: 2008/11/1 0:34

Resized Image

MK 82 Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Got stopped once back in the 70s ( yes I am old) in Utah driving my Dodge van. The trooper walks up to the window and says " I heard you give away my position back there." I responded, "Huh?"

He thought I had pointed out his speed trap on CB.

I pointed out that there was no CB or antenna on the vehicle.

He got a pained look on his face, handed me my license, and left with out a bye your leave or anything.

Never give a cop permission to search your vehicle.
Posted on: 2008/11/1 0:40

patgizz Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

I have a P71 vic so i'm kinda bad about knowing the difference between a vic and marquis day or night from the front or rear. that and i was coming under a well lit highway interchange so i could see his red/blue lights.

anyway the chief inadvertently is hearing about it, my mom is friends with one of the chief's buddies and the same officer did the same thing to him while he was on his way to lunch with the chief. same intimidating questions, accusations of lying, etc... i'd rather not piss off the guy but maybe he'll get a slap on the wrist and told to chill out.

i didn't give him permission to search anything, he posed a hypothetical question. either way i'm over it. i was angry last night, felt like my rights were violated this morning, and when the sun came out and i started working and had to take off my hoodie it was so warm i was back to normal.
Posted on: 2008/11/1 0:43

bogus Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

patgizz wrote:
tonight i was on my way home from lowe's, had to pick up some plumbing stuff to move the washing machine. it was ~10pm, and i took the vette because i'm putting it away sunday for winter hibernation.

i was on a 50mph 2 lanes each way state route going dead on 50mph and i saw a vic coming at me on the other side, it was one of the locals. in my rearview mirror i saw him whip around and gun it and ride my ass for a mile until i hit my signal to turn onto the road that goes to my house.

he came up to the car after a few minutes of blinding me with his spotlight and asked for my license and insurance card, which i politely handed over. i had to open the console to get the card and pop my seatbelt off to get my wallet. then he informed me that i was pulled over because my rear plate cover was too faded for him to rear my plate - which i'm sure he could tell at night with me going 50mph one way and him doing the same in the opposite direction - i'm positive it was enough for him to warrant whipping his car around and flying up on me - so long as he has superman's eyes.

after taking my license and verifying i have insurance he asked me if i was hiding anything, so i said no. then he asked again and my answer was the same. he said "i'm being a nice guy but i hate being lied to, i'm going to ask you one more time and you better tell me the truth, is there anything in this car you are hiding that i need to know about?" and i was like wtf in my brain so i said there is absolutely nothing in this car you need to know about. this exchange went on for 3 or 4 minutes of him repeating himself telling me once he is lied to all bets are off so i better tell the truth. then he was like "what if i ask you if you mind i search your car" so i said no - as in i do not mind. he said "is that a no i cant search or no you dont mind" so i replied "i dont mind" then he asked me again at least 3 times "what if" he asked to search the car until i said "be my guest there is nothing you will find by searching my car." he proceeded to recheck my insurance card and license - which match - and ask whose car it was.

then he got his flashlight in my face and looked me in the eye and told me not to lie to him, and asked me what that silver thing in the console was, flashing his light at the targa top wrench. so i pointed at my phone and asked "oh that? thats my phone" then he asked again so i whipped out the top wrench and gave him a lesson on removing the top on a c4. on top of all that i got the "where are you coming from" twice in a row.

then he said "are you sure when i go run your license there is nothing i should know about - no prior arrests, no warrants?" of course i said no, and he ran it and i came back squeaky clean, i've only had 2 tickets in 12+ years of driving. he said he asked me all those questions because i looked nervous - so i told him that seeing the red and blue lights in your rearview is intimidating when you've done nothing to warrant being pulled over, and he let me go home.

he was a total ass through the process, i was polite till the last sentence, and he shouldnt have even pulled me over in the first place. but i guess a 28 year old shouldnt be driving a nice corvette.

Report him. That is abuse of power and the local authorities need to know. Do NOT report him to the chief, report him to the town councel or the local DA's office.

That man does not deserve to be a peace officer.
Posted on: 2008/11/1 1:33

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE]Never give a cop permission to search your vehicle.[/QUOTE]
They never asked, they just did.

There are normal Joes that get into L.E. and the other type that have serious character flaws and get off on ruining other peoples day. Seen it too many times, absolutely bizarre.
Posted on: 2008/11/1 1:54

vetteblondie Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4651 Posts

"Illegal search and/or seizure"....
they have to have warrants here or justified probable cause to do that
Posted on: 2008/11/1 2:05

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

NEVRL8T Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Guru
Little Rock, AR
74 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:

You are correct on the probable cause part and ANY traffic violation is probable cause under Arkansas law. Arkansas law states that a police officer has the authority to place anyone that has committed a traffic offense of any kind under custodial arrest and that empowers the officer to search the vehicle. See STATE of Arkansas v. Hezile EARL, Jr. CR 97-1310 S.W.2d
http://courts.state.ar.us/opinions/1998a/980611/cr971310.html

Quote:
Arkansas Rule of Criminal Procedure 5.5 (1997) provides:
The issuance of a citation in lieu of arrest or
continued custody does not affect the authority
of a law enforcement officer to conduct an other-
wise lawful search or any other investigative
procedure incident to an arrest.

Emphasis added.) The plain language of Rule 5.5 permits a police officer to conduct a lawful search where the officer could either arrest an individual or detain him for further investigation. As a general matter, the decision to stop an automobile is reasonable where the police have probable cause to believe that a traffic violation has occurred. Whren v. United States, ____ U.S. ____,135 L Ed 2d 89 (1996) (citing Delaware v. Prouse, 440 U.S. 648, 659 (1979)). Ark. R. Crim. P. 4.1 gives officers the authority to arrest without a warrant. Under rule 4.1, a law enforcement officer may arrest a person without a warrant if the officer has reasonable cause to believe that such person has committed any violation of law in the officer's presence. Ark. R. Crim. P. 4.1(a)(iii)(1997). (Emphasis added.) In essence, Rule 4.1 tracks the holdings of Prouse and Whren, recognizing that officers have probable cause to stop and arrest in such situations. Therefore, construing the authority conveyed in Rule 4.1 in conjunction with the discretionary power to search in Rule 5.5, we hold that where an officer has the probable cause to arrest pursuant to Rule 4.1, he may validly conduct a search incident to arrest of either the person or the area within his immediate control under Rule 5.5. See U.S. v. Robinson, 414 U.S. 218 (1973). The officer's actions need no other justification. Id.; accord State v. Knowles, 569 N.W.2d 601 (Iowa 1997), cert. granted, 118 S.Ct. 1298 (1998) (interpreting Iowa Code section 805.1(4) as providing authority to search when a traffic violation has occurred that would constitute grounds for an arrest).
Posted on: 2008/11/1 3:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Agreed, but it varies from state to state.

In many states, the search is only allowed where the driver can reach; trunks are off limits without a warrant.
Posted on: 2008/11/1 5:01

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Blade_1 wrote:

You must have a sharp eye, my friend...

The old Crown Vics with the thin headlights were so easy to identify. Now that they have the large lights they look like every other car on the road. Now at night I mostly just locate cops by the behavior of others drivers.
Posted on: 2008/11/1 6:40

happydad Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Senior Guru
northern Ill
151 Posts

In Ill They Have "Saftey Checks" Just an other BS way To try and get some added revenue...They can stop you at random and check your vehicle..Pretty lame
Posted on: 2008/11/1 12:31
86 Coupe,350 bored .040 over,Eagle Internals,Scorp RR.Crane Cam,Hedman Hedders,Holley Mani,TCI Trans,3:73 Rear, Demon Carb ,Hole in the hood Scooped and Lots of leaks(Horsepower) I forget :thumbleft:

1Fast04Vert Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I never had any problem in Medina or Brunswick, but Hinckley and Richfield cops were a ticket happy bunch.

Got lucky here the other day and talked a local sheriff's deputy out of giving me a failure to stop at a stop sign ticket. But then he was actually a pretty cool guy.
Posted on: 2008/11/1 13:31

TommyT-Bone Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

We are the free democratic republic, the United States of America. Show me your papers. Are you a Slobovian or do you know any Slobovians? Are there any Slobovians in your car? I am asking you this only for your protection and safety. Aha! What's that in your trunk? Oh , nevermind. It's just a trunk monkey.

Did you know that North Korea is known as the Peoples Democratic Republic of Korea.
Posted on: 2008/11/1 14:06

Jeffvette Re: profile stopped by total a-hole officer
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

TheAngelOfDeath wrote:
Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:

You are correct on the probable cause part and ANY traffic violation is probable cause under Arkansas law. Arkansas law states that a police officer has the authority to place anyone that has committed a traffic offense of any kind under custodial arrest and that empowers the officer to search the vehicle.
[/quote]

I remember when that went into effect.

If I remember correctly it was to help combat the drug running problems on I30 and I40.
Posted on: 2008/11/3 2:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
We are the free democratic republic, the United States of America. Show me your papers. Are you a Slobovian or do you know any Slobovians? Are there any Slobovians in your car? I am asking you this only for your protection and safety. Aha! What's that in your trunk? Oh , nevermind. It's just a trunk monkey.

Did you know that North Korea is known as the Peoples Democratic Republic of Korea.

I think it was Thomas Jefferson who wrote, "Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither."
Posted on: 2008/11/3 2:30

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.