Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
236 user(s) are online (177 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  L98
The GM designation for the 5.7 liter, (350 cubic inch), TPI motor. This motor was used in other GM vehicles, but was used in the Corvette from 1985 t...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CSS996 Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I hardly ever get to fly. Other than today, the last time I flew was July of 2001. Not long before 9/11.

I probably have less than twenty flights total under my belt, so it's still a bit of an adventure for me.

All my flights have been rather mundane, but today, about half way into our flight, somewhere over Kansas, I looked out the window and saw another Northwest airliner not half mile away!!! I want to say a quarter mile, but that should be impossible...

Is that normal? If we were headed NE, then they were maybe headed due West. I've never seen another plane in the air while I was wheels up before. Kinda freaked me out a little. I could see windows and some details of the plane.

Anyone else got stories?

I'll read them after I land in Grand Forks... Not before.
Posted on: 2009/5/12 23:04

Durango_Boy Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Were you a passenger or were you piloting the craft?
Posted on: 2009/5/12 23:27
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CSS996 Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Passenger.
Posted on: 2009/5/12 23:31

Durango_Boy Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I've seen planes before as a passenger when at cruising altitude. Maybe closest was a mile away. I would imagine seeing another plane that close as a pilot would be pretty intense.
Posted on: 2009/5/12 23:34

CentralCoaster Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Nothing much. Some hard landings and severe turbulence. I remember watching the wingtip flapping up and down 6 feet in the middle of a rainstorm.

The best was probably one time during turbulence when one of the oxygen masks popped loose and came down. That freaked a few people out.
Posted on: 2009/5/13 0:22

Sweet90 Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

I mo be there for you Chris.
I would think that might be a tad close

Jim
Posted on: 2009/5/13 0:26

pianoguy Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Flew in a little 15-passenger puddle jumper from Detroit to beautiful downtown Toledo one time. There were 50-60mph winds, the plane was buffeting all over the place. At least half the passengers were using their air-sickness bags. I thought the pilot was going to have to fly the thing straight into the ground to get us down. He got a standing-O when we landed safely. The flight back 2 days later never happened - the plane never showed up, so they stuffed us in a bunch of cabs and drove us back to Detroit.
Posted on: 2009/5/13 1:49

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

bogus Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I was on this plane out of NYC a couple months back... hit some birds and the plane landed in some river. Maybe you heard about it?

In all seriousness, my flights, and I have taken a LOT (20+) since bastet44 and I met 6 years ago, have been uneventful.

I had one from Orlando to Philly, hit some serious weather. It was the bumpiest. I thought my Coke was gonna buy it. Very turbulant.

I think I have only ever seen another plane in the air once... it was a distance off and below. Otherwise, nada.

The way I figure it is like this: Air travel is about as safe as houses, really. They transport MILLIONS across this nation and have only a few hundred fatalities per year. It's safer than driving. It's just that when a plane crashes, 100 folks die at once. That's why it makes headlines.

We fly Southwest pretty much 100% of the time. The only time we wander is when we go to Hawai'i or out of country. A SWA employee told us that they are looking to go international. I guess that means Canada. If they go beyond the boarders of NA, they will need a bigger plane. The 737 isn't certified for trans-oceananic flights. So no UK, no Hawai'i, no Asia...
Posted on: 2009/5/13 5:56

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Flew in a little 15-passenger puddle jumper from Detroit to beautiful downtown Toledo one time. There were 50-60mph winds, the plane was buffeting all over the place. At least half the passengers were using their air-sickness bags. I thought the pilot was going to have to fly the thing straight into the ground to get us down. He got a standing-O when we landed safely. The flight back 2 days later never happened - the plane never showed up, so they stuffed us in a bunch of cabs and drove us back to Detroit.

After that I'd rather take the cab home.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/13 11:35

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Speaking of airlines, did you see this article?

http://news.aol.com/article/container ... -into-jet-engine%2F476176

Quote:
Baggage Container Sucked Into Jet Engine
AP

LOS ANGELES (May 11) - Authorities say a metal baggage container was sucked into an engine of a Boeing 747 at Los Angeles International Airport.
No one was injured.
Marshall Lowe, an airport spokesman, says the incident occurred as Japan Airlines Flight 61 to Narita, Japan, was pushing back from a terminal about 1:30 p.m.
Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor says a baggage cart was being towed nearby at the same time and the engine ingested one of its containers.
The big metal container became lodged in the outer left-side engine of the four-engine jet.
The 245 passengers were taken back to the terminal.
Federal investigators were examining the jet.
Posted on: 2009/5/13 11:37

PeteK Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I fly for a living, and things have been rather uneventful.
Lost an engine once on an atlanta to Washington DC flight.
It happened just as we started our initial decent, so no real drama other than the noise. While landing in the snow at MHT, we slid all around the runway.
Once while landing in Kentucky, the plane pitched so much I could not see daylight between the tip of the wing, and the grass along the edge of the runway. Did not touch though.
Posted on: 2009/5/13 11:48

1Fast04Vert Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Being ex USAF flight crew I have a lot of stories. A few of the scarier ones:

Lost on engine on take off on a fully loaded C-119. The C119 is not supposed to be able to fly one one engine, but we had maybe the best pilot in the USAF up front. somehow he managed to get us safely back on the ground.

We got caught in a serious downdraft in storms over the Chesapeak Bay and went from 5000 ft to 500 ft in a freefall.
Things were actually floating in the cabin and we were all pretty sure we were going to die that day.

I had a psycho army airborne trooper try to drag me out of the plane when doing a troop drop over NC. Problem was we were dropping them on static line from 1100 ft, my chute was manual opening and required a minimum of 1500 ft to deploy. I actually had to stab the sob in the ribs to make him let go of my harness. We had some real nut cases back then (vietnam era).

There are others, but those are the ones I rememmber the most vividly. Dang, now I am having flashbacks.
Posted on: 2009/5/13 12:14

Meatgrinder Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Guru
Springfield, Missouri
55 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
I hardly ever get to fly. Other than today, the last time I flew was July of 2001. Not long before 9/11.

I probably have less than twenty flights total under my belt, so it's still a bit of an adventure for me.

All my flights have been rather mundane, but today, about half way into our flight, somewhere over Kansas, I looked out the window and saw another Northwest airliner not half mile away!!! I want to say a quarter mile, but that should be impossible...

Is that normal? If we were headed NE, then they were maybe headed due West. I've never seen another plane in the air while I was wheels up before. Kinda freaked me out a little. I could see windows and some details of the plane.

Anyone else got stories?

I'll read them after I land in Grand Forks... Not before.

I think your aircraft is one of those yellow dots. http://gizmodo.com/5055160/24-hour-ai ... orld-blows-minds-eyeballs
Posted on: 2009/5/13 12:34

BrianCunningham Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Speaking of airlines, did you see this article?

http://news.aol.com/article/container ... -into-jet-engine%2F476176

Quote:
Baggage Container Sucked Into Jet Engine

I saw that on the news.

Having worked in the aircraft industry, I've seen some dussies. LOL

I actually got to fly, as in pilot, a small aircraft.

If you even get the chance to fly in a small aircraft it's a whole different world!
Posted on: 2009/5/13 12:39

BillH Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I was flying back from Paris,France after doing engineering work in a French factory where no one spoke english, stressed out. Approaching Dullis, the stewardess told the guy across the isle from me (sitting at the emergency exit) that he had to go up and sit in her jump seat. When he asked why, she told him it was standard procedure. I'm like "WTF". The approach seemed really long and a lot of bucking up & down. I knew we were close to the runway, looked out at the wing, hummmm, the flaps aren't down???? We hit the runway hard, I look out the window and see what seemed to be 100 crash trucks with the red lights blazing. Then I'm thinking, "Why aren't the engines going ino reverse???", Crap. It took a long time to slow down enough for the pilot to be able to use the brakes.
We finally stopped about 2 feet from the fence.
Fun Whot?
Posted on: 2009/5/13 13:51

Matt26R Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Guru
Powell, Ohio
76 Posts

It's pretty common to see other aircraft if you fly on a regular basis. A few years ago the Feds changed the separation requirements at altitudes above 29000'. Now we only have 1000' vertical between the aircraft vs 2000' previously (Westbound aircraft fly at even altitudes and eastbound traffic is at an odd altitude).

The airplanes and crew have to be RVSM certfied to fly above 29k so it isn't a big deal. Better avionics,etc....

I've been a professional pilot for 20 years (9500+hours) fwiw. I currently fly a Hawker 800 (corporate jet). I don't have any horror stories for you.....it's all good up there!

I like to say that Aviation is 100% successful. "We've never left one up there"
Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:24

bogus Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Matt26R wrote:
It's pretty common to see other aircraft if you fly on a regular basis. A few years ago the Feds changed the separation requirements at altitudes above 29000'. Now we only have 1000' vertical between the aircraft vs 2000' previously (Westbound aircraft fly at even altitudes and eastbound traffic is at an odd altitude).

The airplanes and crew have to be RVSM certfied to fly above 29k so it isn't a big deal. Better avionics,etc....

I've been a professional pilot for 20 years (9500+hours) fwiw. I currently fly a Hawker 800 (corporate jet). I don't have any horror stories for you.....it's all good up there!

yea, well... that's a spin on it... but that sudden impact with terra firma really puts a ding on that stat.

Southwest had a tire explode in Texas after landing. Damned thing caught fire. I am guessing the brake locked up... all sorts of heat was there. Toss in a rupture hydraulic line - poof.

No one hurt. SWA is the only airline without a fatal crash. I qualify that one - there was one when they landed at O'hare. The plane landed, but the runway was slick and poorly cared for. The plane ran off the runway, hitting a car, killing occupants of the car, including a child. Sad, but not the airlines fault, really. The planes passengers were all safe.
Posted on: 2009/5/13 14:40

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

BrianCunningham Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

Matt26R wrote:
"We've never left one up there"

Not that I can elaborate, but that's not entirely true.
Posted on: 2009/5/13 15:14

Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

Matt26R wrote:

yea, well... that's a spin on it... but that sudden impact with terra firma really puts a ding on that stat.

Southwest had a tire explode in Texas after landing. Damned thing caught fire. I am guessing the brake locked up... all sorts of heat was there. Toss in a rupture hydraulic line - poof.

No one hurt. SWA is the only airline without a fatal crash. I qualify that one - there was one when they landed at O'hare. The plane landed, but the runway was slick and poorly cared for. The plane ran off the runway, hitting a car, killing occupants of the car, including a child. Sad, but not the airlines fault, really. The planes passengers were all safe.

I believe Quantas has never had either
Posted on: 2009/5/13 18:26

pianoguy Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Quote:

Matt26R wrote:
"We've never left one up there"

Not that I can elaborate, but that's not entirely true.

Alien abduction?
Posted on: 2009/5/13 20:53

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Calm Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Years ago I was returning to Winnipeg International from northern Manitoba in a beaver bush plane. Just the pilot and myself, so he had me use the headphones. While listening to all the chatter from the tower, my pilot was earnestly given approach instructions, which seemed to change the closer we got on approach. Tower was also speaking with '747 heavy'. When we were at about 500 ft the tower instructed us to taxi off the runway 'immediately' upon touchdown. This was repeated 2 more times within the following 30 seconds, and we could hear the stress and urgency in the towers voice.
At around 200 ft the tower suddenly SCREAMED at us saying DROP DOWN! Pilot did, of course. And we both got a close-up of the underside of a 747! Flew right over us, not 100 ft away and touched down a few hundred feet ahead. My pilot struggled with the turbulence but got us down.
Posted on: 2009/5/13 21:07

Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

My God, who ever that ATC guy was; he should have been fired
on the spot. That could have been a real disaster.

Jim
Posted on: 2009/5/13 21:12

CSS996 Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Great stuff guys!

I'll add that I believe we were cruising at 37,000 ft when I saw the other jet. Looked to be at the same altitude. Our aircraft was about 100 seats. 20 rows A-D. Small trubines on the tail, not the wing.

The con-trails on the other craft only spread about 200 ft behind and evaporated quickly. It was like a model plane with cotton spread out behind it was hanging from a wire and being dragged away from us. Sort of cool, actually.

Thanks for sharing your stories!
Posted on: 2009/5/13 23:25

CentralCoaster Re: Memorable flights? Gurus in the sky...
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Anyone with a fear of flying should watch these for reassurance:

Posted on: 2009/5/14 0:37

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

It was actually at Midway about 2 miles from where I used to live. Very sad for that family.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,178298,00.html

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/14 1:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.