Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
202 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Weather Stripping
It should be soft and pliable. Tears, rips and holes are red flags that the seals are bad.

Corvette weather stripping is a known problem. Replaci...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

bogus The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Call this more of an update than anything else.

For those of you new to the saga... My wife, Bastet44, and me met on CF about four-and-a-half years ago. We met because her father gave her a 1987 coupe. Bright red, base graphite cloth seats, Bose, climate control (C68), L98, A4.

All in all, it wasn't bad... until the truth started to come out!

The car had been a salvage title. Apparently, from what we can figure, the car was stolen, off the dealers lot, back in 1987.

It wasn't registered, at least that is what the computers say, until 1992. Now, what I don't know for sure is if the computers were able to to show activity prior to that date. I have noticed other carfax reports for CA that stop at 1992.

According to Bastet44s dad, the car was stolen, and "major engine parts" were taken. From what I can figure, that means half the engine harness and the TPI.

Fast forward to 2005. I moved out here to CA in June of 2004. Just after New Years, Bastet was driving to work and the car just started to run poorly. I got up (still unemployed) and went to check on it... it died on the spot... bad head gasket.

She went off to work and I proceeded to tear into it. I found that yes, the head gasket blew, but it also took the mains with it. Done.

I rebuilt the engine. Two months and $2000 later, we had a new motor... and man did it ever run sweet. I was so happy.

Come June, a new problem appeared... the serpentine belt started to blow off. The first time was on the freeway, about an hour from town. I went out there and after she called with a rather concerned tone, that the battery light was on, the temps were rising and the power steering went away. Oops.

After telling her to park it NOW, I got on the road with a new belt and some coolant. NOW turned out to be close to 10 minutes... but I would rather her park it safely, don't you know!

I get it home and find that the Milidon waterpump was hosed... they pushed the pulley mount too close to the engine, causing the belt to not line up right. Not happy... even less happy with their utter lack of CS. I will NEVER buy anything from them. BTW, the pump was a gift from a friend. Very generious gift, and he had no way of knowing the pump was faulty... he never used it.

About 3 months pass and I notice the oil pressure was dropping... like a rock... come early October, I found that the engine had been damaged by the belt failure.

I had finally gotten a job - THANK GOD - 14+ months of unemployment was on the edge of destroying us, financially. I had started at FEMA in early Sept. That job literally saved us.

The job allowed us to afford a fix... the problem? This failure had utterly broken my heart. I had poured myself into that first engine build... and it wasn't until later I found the pump was faulty, so I felt I had screwed something up. The last thing I wanted to do was work on that vexed car.

It hated me. And proved it time and time again. Last December, I went to work on it, and the damned hood latch broke... the 4+ hours I had planned on using to work on projects was spent working on that $%##$%#@ hood. As I said, the car hated me.

This time, tho, I was going to replace the engine. The plan is for an LT1/4L60E combo. We found one at www.vette2vette.com. Got a great deal on a clean 60k mile motor/accessories/harness/PCM/transmission.

Currently, the drivetrain is in. What is left is wiring.
Posted on: 2007/9/10 2:54
Edited by bogus on 2008/4/13 6:40:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus RE:The First C4 Guru Project Car
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Now for some updates!

Yesterday, CentralCoaster came over and we worked on wiring. I worked on the interior, and he worked under the hood. We spent the afternoon IDing harnesses and wires.

One of the things I wanted to do was get rid of unnecessary wiring. Thanks to the factory theft system, it won't be very hard to install an aftermarket unit! Everything is right there!

I also removed the entire front Bose system - both enclosures and all the harnessing to them! More wire out of the way.

Get this - at some point, some moron decided to replace the speakers in the Bose enclosures. With Infinity Kappas!!!!!

A bit of trivia - the Bose amps are very small, about the size of a pack of smokes. They run at a 1 ohm impedance. This means the speaker must only be 1 ohm. The amps can put out 50 watts because of their size... but put a 4 ohm speaker on there, and you get 12.5 watts! And a ton of distortion. Besides, the speakers surrounds were TOAST.

All of that is out. Thank God. I have to remove the right side ground for the Bose front harness, but that's it.

Removing the harness was only made possible by the fact that I removed the entire dash board. This is not a project for the feint of heart.
Posted on: 2007/9/10 2:59

VtVette RE:The First C4 Guru Project Car
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

Cool story Andy! I've heard you are doing a L98/LT1 swap but never knew the reason or much about the car in general. Great to hear the back story and looking forward to seeing how the project goes :thumbright:
Posted on: 2007/9/10 3:01

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Thanks to CentralCoaster, I am back on the project. He gave me the shove I needed.

We bought a beater Jeep (93 Cherokee) back in January, cause I was just so burned out of working on the Vette... every week, when I thought I was making progress, something else would break.

It got very discouraging. The Jeep, BTW, has been a great little truck! We really like it.
Posted on: 2007/9/10 3:14

CasetheCorvetteman RE:The First C4 Guru Project Car
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Sounds great mate, you got any pics to go along with the job? If it wasnt so far to go for a weekend, id come over and help you with it all too!!
Posted on: 2007/9/10 5:45

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

no pictures at this stage. I will photograph and document the wiring. That is really the killer part of this job. The rest of it is rather easy.

I mean, the LT1 bolts right in, so does the 4L60E. The cooling lines are different, tho. And fan control can be a pain.

fuel lines are real different.
Posted on: 2007/9/10 6:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This has been a rather productive weekend.

Yesterday, we found that there is one of the last remaining Earls Performance Shops just a few miles away! Earls is now owned by Holley and is known for the hosing and accessories they sell.

I was able to get the bits needed to lengthen the fuel lines (they are a little short for the L98, compared with the LT1, the LT1 lines won't reach the fuel rail.

I made up some steel braided high-pressure rubber line for the AT cooling lines.

They are in and attached to the transmission, I need to get the radiator installed, but that's a bit down the road.

I need to swap radiator supports so I can install the fans... but I am still playing with ideas on that one.

I also need to get down to the opti so I can be sure the vent lines are properly attached.

Before I wrapped up, I simple greened the engine... it was all dusty ashy (remember, we had some big fires out this way last month). It looked horrible.

An interesting side note: I asked my neighbour, who is a pro-level desert racer and mechanical engineer (he is also a Cop, he does that as a career for the consistant work, health ins and pension!), about gas aging. I have always been told that when gas goes bad, it smells like terpentine. When I started removing the fuel lines, some spilled on my hand, and it smelled like gas! So I had to wonder, what condition is the fuel really in.

You see, it's been in for 2 years... and moisture is the biggest killer. Cuisinartvette left the gas in his ZR1 for nearly a year with no problems, and my neighbour left some in his racing shifter carts for 5 years with no ill effects (beyond the obvious clogged jets).

Down here in LA, we don't have the moisture issues... so a fresh sock and a new fuel filter should about do it. So what if it's a little weak on octane, I can add a bottle of octane booster.

If nothing else, it will save me the angst of disposing, legally, all that gas. I refuse to pour gas down the storm drain. It's ethically beyond me.
Posted on: 2007/11/26 3:59

bogus Re: The First C4 Guru Project Car
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I know... it's been a while... but man, it's been a busy 5 months! The banning... the growth... the transformation... vacation... sick... life... damn...

Ok... today, I actually dug back into the wiring. Converting from an L98 to an LT1 means integrating the two harnesses. Trust me, it isn't plug and play!!!

I figured somethings out. If you are doing this kind of conversion, there are a LOT of wires that are utterly useless. The VATS can be removed.... lock stock and barrel. The same with UTS... the harness might be useful when installing an aftermarket alarm system.

However, I have marked all the wires and will be documenting the hell out of this process. For example, integrating the 96 LT1 ignition circuit into the 87 L98... or the fuel pump circuit, to integrate into the LT1 PCM.

I have ID'd the fuel pump wiring. Now I need to assemble the LT1 relay and hardwire back to the computer.

Back to the VATS for a second... there is a way to easily bypass the VATS, but I found that as I dug into the harness (the dash is totally out), that the wiring double backs on itself! In other words, about 12" of 12 guage wire that does nothing. So the entire circuit has been simplified. I removed the entire VATS box and relay... then connected the wire back to the park/neutral switch and off to the ignition circuit. The only reason the relay is there is to apply power to those circuits once the key has been read!

I have also removed the entire front half of the bose system! harnesses and all! I will be installing speaker wire at some point, but it will be coming from the rear in some way, because that is where the amp(s) will be. I will outline the stereo concepts in Audio... I think I will do that next, infact!

Ultimately, the rest of the Bose harnesses will come out, as will the rear speaker assemblies.

Tomorrow, I hope to make more progress on the various sub harnesses and such. I need to do the fuel pump and finish the ignition. If I am lucky, I might be able to test the crank cycle next week! no start, but crank it over! If I do that, I will pull all plugs and squirt some oil into the cylinders, just to be sure.

I have figured out the fans... I think! I have both options available. The L98 HD fans have a pusher at the front, and a puller at the rear. Ok, that's great... but I need to be able to use the wiring methodology of the LT1 computer. It uses the two fans independantly (AC program) or in series/parallel, so they effectively have two speeds. So... with all of that in mind, I plan on using the two LT1 fans, mounted to a cut down version of the L98 shroud, attached using some alumium bracket that I will fabricate.

That's about all for now, go check Audio for the stereo concept I have in mind.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 6:34

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

bogus Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I renamed the title... It's not c4guru anymore...
Posted on: 2008/4/13 6:45

CentralCoaster Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Andy, I think you might like something like my stereo layout, except probably with better equipment.

Head unit with flush mount din, that requires cutting a plastic loop behind the head unit.

I put my crossovers in the big space behind it, ran from there to the doors (with custom pods) and to the modified speakers in the dash for tweeters, (not the best for imaging, but having both in the door is worse!)

Then ran my stereo outputs under the center console to the amp behind or under the seat, then wires from there feeding your rears and a sub, and some back up front feeding the crossovers.

I found some very thin ribbon type wire from radioshack or maybe homedepot. Maybe 1/2" wide but extremely thin so it doesn't bulge the carpet.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 14:39

Matatk Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Excited to see some pics, Andy.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/4/13 14:51

pappyfreebird Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

very cool read....hope it all goes smooth n easy from here on out
Posted on: 2008/4/13 18:13

NC Kid Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

I have a quiestion as to why the head gasket blew out. Yes, I heard they are prone to going out but why? To much heat or poor design or...?
Posted on: 2008/4/13 21:58

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

From what has been discussed on CF, there is a design flaw between keeping the iron and aluminum separated on the L98.

If you have iron heads, this isn't as bad a problem.
Posted on: 2008/4/13 22:39

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Today's update... all the Bose is out! I will physically remove the last of it tomorrow night, but the entire harness is gone.

Thank God! There is that much less wire to mess with.
Posted on: 2008/4/14 2:27

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Today's update... all the Bose is out! I will physically remove the last of it tomorrow night, but the entire harness is gone.

Thank God! There is that much less wire to mess with.

It seems your p.o.s. car is starting to turn around. New motor, new sound system and a knowledgable person leading the show, should be a good car and a fast one(possible sleeper?) in the end. So since you got a bigger motor, are you going to get: Bigger brakes(C6?), new differential(D44?), exaust? It would be cool to see your new motor in when it's finished.
Posted on: 2008/4/14 17:50

corvetteronw Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Interesting. I was just thinking of that car the other day and wondering if it was on the road yet.
I will probably visit my brother and sister-in-law who are going to be moving to his parent's house in Torrance sometime in '09. I will give you a shout when we start planning the trip.
Interesting that your neighbor is into desert racing. One of my other brother and sister-in-laws live in Big Bear where they teach. Jim Kastle and his son PJ are big time into the desert racing life. He is more obsessed with this hobby than I ever was into Corvettes. When my wife last visited he had dune buggy parts filling the garage and the house too. She even saw parts that he was cleaning in the kitchen sink. Her sister Nancy is not a car gal but goes along with his hobby and cooks for the crazy bunch of racers that he hangs with.
Ask your neighbor if he knows Jim and PJ from Big Bear. It is truly a small world.
Just got back from Vegas where those sneaky slots let me win a little but then took it all back - plus some!@%#*!
We rented a car and drove out to Pahrump, Nevada and looked around. There is a good possibility that we will move out there in a couple of years as it seems like a nice community AND just to note: it has two brothels!!!! (Not that I would EVER go there.) ;)
Posted on: 2008/4/14 18:12

BrianCunningham Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Best of luck with it.

I remember when you got the L98 back up and running.

[IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff87/swiftwood/BayStateCorvetteClub/members/Brian%20Cunningham/2005%20SoCal/IMG_0168.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/4/14 18:42

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Sorry Bogus...Just joking.
Posted on: 2008/4/14 23:18
Edited by B1ack86v3tt3 on 2008/4/15 1:31:22

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

that's me.
Posted on: 2008/4/15 1:26

CentralCoaster Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
From what has been discussed on CF, there is a design flaw between keeping the iron and aluminum separated on the L98.

Au contraire! But then the intake gaskets go out instead. Easier fix though...

I hadn't seen this thread until a few days ago or read it till today. Glad to see me showing up got you more motivated, that was my goal, even if it was just a few hours.

But alas, it's still in pieces. Let's take care of it before your other vette dies too!

What's a good weekend for you? I'm gonna get to work tonight and put in new clutch cylinders, if you're lucky, I'll post a tech tip!
Posted on: 2008/4/15 1:57

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

This Sunday is looking good. I am going to do something on it after work each night, I hope... but we are redoing the bedroom... redoing the closets and the room looks like a bomb hit it. tomorrow nite is the trip to Ikea for the armoures...
Posted on: 2008/4/15 4:32

jhammons01 Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:
I have a quiestion as to why the head gasket blew out. Yes, I heard they are prone to going out but why? To much heat or poor design or...?
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Don't get me started on the Electrolysis and Distilled water discussion again.
Posted on: 2008/4/15 6:23

cuisinartvette Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

You forgot, were a couple sneaky mofos! Candid spy shots after you went to the backyard, lol. Poor Andy..

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/kalthoff1/PHOT0060.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/kalthoff1/PHOT0096.jpg[/IMG]

Did you ever find the goober that put that VTEC sticker on your back window?
Posted on: 2008/4/15 7:18

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Does that mean the concept is right or wrong? I am going by memory here...
Posted on: 2008/4/15 14:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
You forgot, were a couple sneaky mofos! Candid spy shots after you went to the backyard, lol. Poor Andy..

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/kalthoff1/PHOT0060.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/kalthoff1/PHOT0096.jpg[/IMG]

Did you ever find the goober that put that VTEC sticker on your back window?

oh, yea... I know who wasted their money on the VTEC sticker...
Posted on: 2008/4/15 14:47

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Quote:

B1ack86v3tt3 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Whats the electrolysis?
Posted on: 2008/4/15 16:41

jhammons01 Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Holey smokes.........

The Aluminum gets eaten or dissolved at a fast pace due the electrical currents moving through the engine. We use our block as the ground, CC like to argue with me on this point but no matter, there is a current moving through it no matter how small. It takes very little DC current to Electroplate anything.

It never mattered much when everything was Steel, but when Aluminum components were introduced....ZING!! "Houston, we have a problem"

The import cars had these issues before and then GM found out especially when they went to the Al block (i.e. the Norstar.

This is also why our Heater cores blow out so fast.

and to rap it up, use Distilled water...the lower the particulate count in the water (coolant) the higher the resistivity the lower the Electrolysis or dissolving of weaker metals.
Posted on: 2008/4/15 19:36

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Holey smokes.........

The Aluminum gets eaten or dissolved at a fast pace due the electrical currents moving through the engine. We use our block as the ground, CC like to argue with me on this point but no matter, there is a current moving through it no matter how small. It takes very little DC current to Electroplate anything.

It never mattered much when everything was Steel, but when Aluminum components were introduced....ZING!! "Houston, we have a problem"

The import cars had these issues before and then GM found out especially when they went to the Al block (i.e. the Norstar.

This is also why our Heater cores blow out so fast.

and to rap it up, use Distilled water...the lower the particulate count in the water (coolant) the higher the resistivity the lower the Electrolysis or dissolving of weaker metals.

I heard tap water has contaminents in it which eats away at the radiator and stuff.
Posted on: 2008/4/15 21:25

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

That's why the recommendation for distilled water.

In reference to removing the bose harness... that is not easy.

You see, when GM looms these, they get all twisted and intertwined before the end go on. This means a sub harness is tied up with some other harness assembly. I had to cut a couple of wires to get the Bose out (I promptly resoldered the cut wires).
Posted on: 2008/4/16 2:34

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Anymore updates?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/4/22 12:10

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Not yet... I have been busy...
Posted on: 2008/4/24 5:53

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Ok... update time.

I finished cleaning the garage yesterday. Found all sorts of shit.

Now I need to sort bolts and fasteners. But that's tomorrow afternoon.

My most pressing need is a new flare tool. I had to modify the fuel lines to accept the new fuel feed to the LT1 rails. Well... my K&D flare tool would not bite on the damned return line... I need a tool that bites better. It may also need to be metric. 3/8" may not be quite the right fit.

I have the ATF cooling lines in... and the harnesses are about done.

I need to integrate stuff... the fuel pump, ignition and charging systems. Otherwise, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel.
Posted on: 2008/8/25 4:19

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

Where are the pics, chief?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/8/25 13:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

no pics... I need to take some... but being a one man wrecking crew does not leave time.
Posted on: 2008/8/25 17:17

joeld Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Guru
Lawrenceville Ga
718 Posts

That does sound like a very labor intensive project! But looks like you have a very qualified helper. All my "helpers" bt now are dead or in jail. The removal of the VATs system was very interesting, sure would be helpfull if you could have a detailed write-up with pictures of this.

Good Luck,
Joel
Posted on: 2008/8/25 17:49

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will document the VATS removal. It's quite easy, really, and I think I have pics of it...

The fuel line has now been flared. The stainless steel line is a BITCH to flare... damn... it just didn't want to bend. I used McJack Corvette's Blue Point Flaring Tool and that did the trick. My next flaring kit will be the Blue Point set.
Posted on: 2008/8/26 4:10

Raidmagic Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Guru Newb
Florida
168 Posts

Cool thread I just found and read it. I confess to not knowing the time line my question is why an LT swap and not an LS swap?
Posted on: 2008/8/26 12:33

Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I will document the VATS removal. It's quite easy, really, and I think I have pics of it...

The fuel line has now been flared. The stainless steel line is a BITCH to flare... damn... it just didn't want to bend. I used McJack Corvette's Blue Point Flaring Tool and that did the trick. My next flaring kit will be the Blue Point set.

Quiestion. Are you bypassing vats or completly removing it?
Posted on: 2008/8/26 13:37

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

totally removing it. I don't have a choice, really.

The LT1 engine controller only interfaces VATS via the CCM. There is no CCM. I also don't want to manually turn on the PCM via the old VATS.

To be honest, the cars VATS had been disabled for a long time. It had resisters hard wired in. Lord knows what resister it needs!

I am ultimately going with an aftermarket alarm, but I can use some of the GM wiring for that. So very nice of them to leave it for me.
Posted on: 2008/8/26 14:29

TommyT-Bone Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Any pics? What's the current status?
Posted on: 2010/12/28 1:08

TommyT-Bone Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm sorry. I couldn't hear what you just said Andy. Could you repeat it?
Posted on: 2010/12/28 1:15

pianoguy Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Holy necroposting, Batman!

But yes,
Resized Image
Posted on: 2010/12/28 1:21

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

uh... no updates. I have most everything needed to proceed, just need to get a couple of projects out of my way and dedicate time.

I had planned on starting back in September, and then the move thing took over.
Posted on: 2010/12/28 1:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

wow... it's been nearly 2 years since I last updated this post.

Well... the latest... I raided the 87 for its LT1 and now in search of a new engine.

After a lot of thought and debate, I am going to put in a truck 5.3 litre... cause nothing sounds more right than a Corvette with a 327.

And the damned things are CHEAP. Engine, with harness, 102k miles (a little high, but almost doable), with accessories and ECM... $1100!!!

Time to do research.

I figure 330hp, max, with nearly the same torque should make that 87 jump very nicely. And less weight than the L98.
Posted on: 2012/12/9 5:41

BillH Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
wow... it's been nearly 2 years since I last updated this post.

Well... the latest... I raided the 87 for its LT1 and now in search of a new engine.

After a lot of thought and debate, I am going to put in a truck 5.3 litre... cause nothing sounds more right than a Corvette with a 327.

And the damned things are CHEAP. Engine, with harness, 102k miles (a little high, but almost doable), with accessories and ECM... $1100!!!

Time to do research.

I figure 330hp, max, with nearly the same torque should make that 87 jump very nicely. And less weight than the L98.

I really like that motor. Mine's (Silverado)at 145k, uses less than a quarter qt. of oil between changes, no leaks.

Total repair parts in 145k - 2 EGR check valves and one fuel pressure reg.

Fast off the line .....but I do have 3:73 gears.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 14:08

Ultraman Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14739 Posts

What I find interesting about the old threads are the different folks who were active back then....a lot of them were still active when I signed on back in 09.

I would be very interested to see how that swap would work out. We have a 99 Chevy stepside the Uboy drives and its got a 5.3 in it with 115,000 and I have hardly much to it in the 9 or 10 years we have owned it. We did put a tranny in at 100K and a fuel pump but no engine work. We also have a more powerful version in the 09 Tahoe and it does all its asked to do everyday. Love those motors...

Go for it Andy...I will follow your progress with interest.....
Posted on: 2012/12/9 15:19

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

BrianCunningham Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Never give up the faith.

I remember when people thought mine would never be running again.
Posted on: 2012/12/9 20:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I am not, nor have I ever gave up... it was a case of not finding the groove...

For some reason, I felt pushed into the LT1 solution... when I started this back in 2005, it was "oh, no LS1 is too hard"... maybe, but someone had to go first.

The LT1 ain't all that easy, to be honest. It's the same electrical issues, if not more so.

I have now refocused, and the thought of a 327 in a later model Corvette just sounds right. Hell, I may even get one of these logo's for it:

Resized Image

and...

Resized Image

heh heh heh.
Posted on: 2012/12/9 20:51

C4Williams Re: The First Corvette Guru Project Car
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
176 Posts

Awesome job, Love the idea to post to the CF> Really shows all the work that has to go into a build and restoration. Its frustrating to go 1 step forward and 3 back but when your done? Your done and no one has the exact car and the sweat put into your own project.
Posted on: 2013/2/28 5:33

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.