Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
287 user(s) are online (228 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

My deceased brothers ex text me that I was welcome to his Porsche 928. The car has been sitting for years. He had it running 4 1/2 years ago and was working on it to get it street worthy just before he died. The car is garaged in Boston and I'm in South Florida. The mission is to get the car from there to here. I can drive up, rent a trailer and drive back. That's the least desirable option because that would take about a week and probably cost about $1500 in fuel, lodging and food. Another option is to fly round trip, somehow get it loaded on a transporter and ship it to my door. Guestimate $1200 shipping, plus expenses for food, lodging and transportation for several days there. That would take about 4 days. Are there shippers that will load and transport a non-operational car? Any way I look at it, it looks to be an expensive proposition. So, I'm appealing to the brain trust of Corvette-Guru. What's a brutha to do? I'm open to any suggestions. I know to get it running will probably cost more than the car is worth but it's a thing between brothers.

Driving time 25 hours 1 way. 1530 miles. That'a a hell of a road trip. Last time I did it I swore I'd never do it again. I always fly and rent a car. Something is more appealing about having breakfast in Miami and lunch in Boston.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 3:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea... well... first off, the mover won't care... if it is dead, it will be pushed in, and put down in front and left.

The trailer idea is expensive... figure trailer rental will be $500.00 for the time needed. That's what they charged me to rent a trailer when I moved to CA 6 years ago.

If it was me, I would do the trailer. If you drive the suburban up, it will easily tow it back.

There really isn't a win-win here. It's going to suck to deal with this regardless.

I also wonder if you can rent a trailer for a truck that isn't their's... I would confirm that.

You have one other option... get a temp plate from FL, if you have title, it won't be a problem, hell, you might get a plate period in that state.

Now, fly up to Beantown and get the damned thing running and drive it back. Now that is a real mans solution.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 4:59

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Ultraman Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14738 Posts

I'm thinking that you could get one of the specialty car haulers to pick it up when they are in the area and bring it to you. I have no idea how much that would cost. (I read your post again and I see your estimate of 1200 bucks) Or you could pay to have someone (maybe Porsche)give you an estimate on how much to get it in good running condition, have them do it and then fly up and drive it home.

That wouldn't be a bad trip during the fall of the year with all the tree colors that you would drive through on your way to the promised land.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 5:08

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

pr0zac Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i am down for a road trip.. let me know if you need a co pilot. i just got done driving a 24' budget truck with my vette in tow a few weeks ago. my schedule is wide open.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 5:23

Matatk Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Be realistic, first off, Tommy. Do you even want it? How much will it cost you to get it into T-Bone shape? A lot I'm guessing. That aside, I would just use a car hauler.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/9/26 11:42

TommyT-Bone Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Do I need it? Not really. Do I want it? I kinda do. It's not a basket case but it would take some sorting. I would like to finish something my brother started. He also had an 88 Verte that was inherited bt my nephew (his son) when he was 12. My younger brother and I were very competative at one point. I don't want this car being junked or parted. The nephew that the car was intended for doesn't have the means to fix a bicycle. You've heard of dog and cat rescues? This would be like a 928 rescue.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 12:25

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

What I see is Before ....... and After.

Attach file:

jpg  33344180002_large.jpg (150.71 KB)
852_4c9f3fae8cd15.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  w928_4.jpg (85.01 KB)
852_4c9f3fc17d828.jpg 680X535 px
Posted on: 2010/9/26 12:43

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

This would be a deal breaker.

Attach file:

jpg  11.jpg (4.23 KB)
852_4c9f413d8bc01.jpg 160X120 px
Posted on: 2010/9/26 12:49

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

U-HAUL rents trailers one way without a truck rental. They claim to be the only company that does that.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 12:53

BillH Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Buy the car trailer ($2k or less). Then, you have something to haul the AutoX cars with stickys.

Write off as a business expense for the nursery.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 13:22

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
U-HAUL rents trailers one way without a truck rental. They claim to be the only company that does that.

If you go this route, the 928 probably sits as low as a C4. You'll need cut up 2x8's to put inder the ramps to get clearance for the nose/airdam. You may also need them for under the front wheels to lift the nose over any uprights at the front of the trailer when the front wheels are in the tiedown position. And you may you may need them to put inder the trailer tongue to raise the front of the trailer so that the center of the car doesn't scrape when you load, which means you must block the trailer wheels because it won't be hooked to the truck.

And you need to purchase some good tiedowns, the U-Haul only has the over the tire straps in front and some useless safety chains in the rear. You want the rear tied down (using a X pattern) for a long tow.

I've done this more than once with a U-Haul and towed 100's of cars on car trailers.

Also check Penske, they used to have flatbed trailers, no idea if they still do.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 13:38

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Also,T, consider how you're going to get the car on the trailer since it doesn't run. 2 people won't be able to push it up there.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 13:41

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Also, U-Haul will require a 3/4 ton tow vechile min.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 13:48

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Hhhmmm. I like the way you think Bill. Course it would end up costing at least $3500 to put the car in my yard but I'd end up with a car and trailer. It's certainly worth thinking about.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 14:24

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Posted on: 2010/9/26 14:26

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

sweet deal on that trailer.

Where is Brian Cunningham when we need him? Doesn't he have an aluminum trailer????
Posted on: 2010/9/26 17:37

pr0zac Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

it cost me in the budget truck from 12572 to 29526 $370 in diesel one way.. depending on if you had someone to split the driving i dont think it would cost near $3500. id be more then willing to help.. i could meet you on i95 in sc or you get me from myrtle beach to miami and back i would totally take the trip with you. not joking.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 18:04

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
sweet deal on that trailer.

Yea, you don't see one like that often with a full diamond plate floor and a beavertail.

That's a $5-6k trailer new.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 19:27

flyboy Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Attach file:

jpg  FordOX340 (2).jpg (27.38 KB)
1735_4c9fa3ce1831e.jpg 340X319 px
Posted on: 2010/9/26 19:49

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Going to get more info on cars status. My wife would be traveling with me. She prefers flying up, checking it out and arranging shipping. I would not have it repaired at a Porsche dealer in Boston. I have a Porsche mechanic here that works for about 2/3rds of dealership rates. I don't think it would be a fix and go project. I can do a lot at home then bring it to the shop for some final repairs. It's still up in the air at this point. Andy, Brians trailer wouldn't do him much good in Florida. LOL. I'll post more later after I talk my brothers ex.

prozac. $3500 is figuring, $2000 for a trailer, $800 for fuel and $700 lodging, food and other incidentals. I'd be going up there to visit with friends and family while I'm there. Thanks for your offer.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 21:16

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Just remember this: Everything on a 928 costs $1000.00 to fix.
Posted on: 2010/9/26 21:29

JeffK Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

In 97 I had a car transported from PA to West Palm Beach, FL and it cost me around $650

It was a non-running 88 Fiero GT
Posted on: 2010/9/27 14:12

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
In 97 I had a car transported from PA to West Palm Beach, FL and it cost me around $650

What about the loading? Did you have to load it or did the shipper just pick it up? That's the PIA. I have to throw a couple of parts into the car, air up the tires and push it to the street I guess. I'd have to be there to do it I'd imagine. I don't really have anybody there to do it for me.
Posted on: 2010/9/27 14:20

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

JeffK wrote:

What about the loading? Did you have to load it or did the shipper just pick it up? That's the PIA. I have to throw a couple of parts into the car, air up the tires and push it to the street I guess. I'd have to be there to do it I'd imagine. I don't really have anybody there to do it for me.

If it's an enclosed car carrier, they'll have a lift gate that only requires pushing the car up on to the 4 inch thick gate.

http://www.moveavehicle.com/?lid=1278 ... N3k1-_0p6QCFQ5ZiAodjS5Y4Q
Posted on: 2010/9/27 15:22

Jeffvette Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

928's are pretty cool cars. Drivetrain is set up like the C5/C6 with a torque tube. Engine is also similar to a LT5 with the 4 cam V8. And it is extremely expensive to maintain and replace parts on. But if you are starting out with a car for free, why not. The later 928 GTS versions have held their value well, bu the early ones, not so much.

As far as shipping, most shippers will charge anywhere from 50-100% more for a non running vehicle, due to the extra work to load and unload the car.

Good luck!
Posted on: 2010/9/28 3:43

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The only car I had anything to do with the shipping of was my late friend Danny's 1960 Jag XK150 Type S Roadster.

Sweet ride.

With that, due to the fact that the delivery driver had to drop off a Ferrari 348 first, he removed that, I put the Jag in, and he let me put the Ferrari in, too. That was kinda neat. Don't like 348s much, the foot box is REALLY tight.

The Jag was going to AZ... the BMW in front was Steve Dinan's personal ride, and was going back to CA... So the BMW stayed put. The Jag was second, and the Ferrari third, going to Ohio from a dealer in NY. All in an enclosed trailer. There was room for 3 more up top. Don't know if they were going to fill those or not.

Flash back... March, 1983. The first C4 arrives in Dover... It was under wraps on a car carrier... above it, a new Citation with a leaky master cylinder... really screwed up the hood paint on the C4. They had to sneak it in, clean it off, repaint the hood before it could be shown to the genpop.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 5:33

JeffK Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

JeffK wrote:

Tommy, sorry I did not see this when you posted. The car was at my Grandmothers house in PA and I was in FL. The car was mobile just not under it's own power. The trailer was a 5th wheel car hauler pulled by a Chevy dualie.

What did you decide to do about this car? I like the old Porsche's
Posted on: 2010/10/5 12:36

RickAnthony Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Do I need it? Not really. Do I want it? I kinda do. It's not a basket case but it would take some sorting. I would like to finish something my brother started. He also had an 88 Verte that was inherited bt my nephew (his son) when he was 12. My younger brother and I were very competative at one point. I don't want this car being junked or parted. The nephew that the car was intended for doesn't have the means to fix a bicycle. You've heard of dog and cat rescues? This would be like a 928 rescue.

Me and Theresa were talking about that, we have rescued a dog and a cat so far... And it seems were always looking for other things to rescue as well and fix up.. next hopefully will be the Rick Anthony Motorsports Mustang Drag Car Project.... an abandoned '94 mustang v6 that I would like to rebuild and drop in a SBF motor to. but we'll see waiting for time to get the mechanics lein filled so I can finish the transaction and get the state to send me a title.

So we can relate... what the status on the recovery...

-=Rick
Posted on: 2010/10/6 1:25
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

RickAnthony Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
ASE Master Certified
Downers Grove, IL
703 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

JeffK wrote:

Tommy, sorry I did not see this when you posted. The car was at my Grandmothers house in PA and I was in FL. The car was mobile just not under it's own power. The trailer was a 5th wheel car hauler pulled by a Chevy dualie.

What did you decide to do about this car? I like the old Porsche's

I agree.. I'd like to buy a 944 someday... I think it would be a nice match to my C4
Posted on: 2010/10/6 1:26
RickAnthonyMotorsports.NET

Livin_the_dream Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

Tommy
try uship.com haulers bid for your shipment , each one lower than the last. I paid 600 shipment on a body from wisconson to pa got it in 3 days. Way cheaper than any other route
Posted on: 2010/10/6 2:45

cuisinartvette Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Cunningham anywhere near you maybe he could help out just a thought. Get the 928 its a supercool car.

Hit up blown87 on CF he knows everthing about those cars down to the last detail huge wealth of know how and a decent guy. Hes in GA I think.
Posted on: 2010/10/6 4:44

rklessdriver Re: Transporting a non operative vehicle.
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Just remember this: Everything on a 928 costs $1000.00 to fix.

You ain't joking....

Tommy-

I drove an 84 928S for everyday for over 4yrs. Put well over 100,000miles on it and loved everyone of them. I know far more than I care to about them, but if you own own your going to have be an expert on them. No one could afford to pay someone else to work on it.

I don't want to scare you off but be aware that working on these cars is not for the faint of heart.

The electrical system is a nightmare consisting of 1 million miles of (entirely) brown wires (with a few red power wires mixed in for color). The fuse/relay box is in the passanger floor board. There are 15-20 electrical relays (all mechanical coil type) that power everything from the fuel pump to the headlight motor. It also has about 100 of those little ceramic fuses all in a neat little row above the relays.

I kept a number of different length and gauge jumper wires for those damn pesky relays. You just have to remember to jump the 2 terminals that are arranged in a "T". Keep plenty of spare fuses in hand as well because they corrode easily and you often just have to "twist" them occasionally to get something (like the blower motor on a -20*F morning) to work...

Since it has been sitting for a long time replace the timing belt and waterpump (waterpump MUST be changed at the same time) before you even try and crank it over. The 928 has the longest timing bet of any automobile I've ever seen at over 7 ft long.... You often (read everytime) have to replace the idler and tensioner pulleys as well... There are a couple of different desgin idler systems for the early SOHC motors - so know what you have before you buy parts.

Timing belt tension is VERY, VERY critical. They make a special (read expensive) tool to gauge belt tension. I always just took a WAG with mine and checked/retensioned the belt every 10-15,000 miles as needed (one of those times was on the side of I40 in BFE New Mexico on my back across country from 29 Palms CA).

I always bought my parts from 928 International in Anaheim, CA or 928 Specialists in Spruce Pine, NC.

If you need anything feel free to hit me up.
Will
Posted on: 2010/10/6 19:46

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.