Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
255 user(s) are online (242 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH2004R
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 2.74
2nd Gear: 1.57
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.67

Reverse: 2.06

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 3 »
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Just tonight I have seen at least three ads on TV and then a news piece about Obama touting gay rights.

Google Chrome has a new TV add that essentially says homosexuality is normal behavior and OK! This country and the media are trying very hard to desensitize people to homosexuality and are sending the message loud and clear to children everywhere that it is definitely OK to be gay!

I have seen numerous other commercials to the same agenda and untold TV shows that still promote this type of relationships. Its getting to the point of being almost ridiculous. Is it really natural for two men to have sexual intercourse? Come on! This is just pathetic. I believe in inclusiveness of religions and everyone joining hands in a circle and singing Kumbya, but the homosexuality part is just not cutting it with my christian upbringing. How many other religions think this behavior is natural. I'd like to know.. Are other countries doing this as well? Do we live in a predominately gay country now? What the hell is going on?

Sorry for my pathetic little rant, but everyone seems to turn their head and look the other way.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 3:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

JrRifleCoach Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

We have reached the point where bad is good and good is bad.

Normal is wierd and ghey is OK.

We can't teach our children traditional values but testing them for their sexual experiences and orientation is OK.

The liberal agenda and press have ruined this country and its value system.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 3:39
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

teebee Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
2014 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Totally agreed with both of you.....sorry, it makes me sick.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 4:20

One of Americas' proud Deplorable

Resized Image

TommyT-Bone Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

There are many lifestyles in this nation that I do not agree with or partake in. Same with religious views. I personally feel it's an individual choice and try not to get my personal views mixed up in other peoples choices. I know and associate with gays, people of color, religious zealots, agnostics and some that are antisocial mental basket cases. Then again I hate when an agenda is forced upon me. Remove yourself from the general media. Find people you enjoy spending time with and share common interests. Life's too short. Let others do as they wish. I look forward to the morning. Afterall, it's Hot Chick Friday.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 4:32

bogus Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I beg to ask, what is "traditional?" It wasn't that long ago, teaching racism was "traditional."

Homosexuality is viewed as wrong because someone said it was, in as much integration was wrong because someone said it was.

First off, homosexuality is not taught. It is. Studies have proven that it is fate and isn't learned. It is no different, really, than other sexual fate. Heterosexuality, even perversions. Just because we were fated for hetersexual relationships makes us no more right than homosexuality. It just is.

Can it be undone? I guess. Should it? It's not illegal. Should it be illegal? Not when it involves two legal adults. Under that concept, hetero can be undone.

The problem with perversions, they can sometimes include children and that is absolutely wrong.

The key these days is the social stigma of being gay... and that needs to be addressed so we can simply accept and move on.

Don't forget, white man perverted the bible so much that even racism seemed godly.

As for other nations? Western Europe is ok. Asia? Not so much. Muslims? No way. But then they cover their women because they don't trust their men to behave.

I have gay friends. I don't care what they do in the bedroom. I simply have no interest in it. Hairy ass and a dick does not do it for me.

We are a constantly evolving society. As such, we must accept change at times. This just happens to be one of them.

Oh, I read in the LA Times today that 1% of the LA Basin live in same sex relationships. In short, it is still a rare thing.

I have been wrestling with my own relgious demons... and have come to the conclusion that man has done more to twist religion than any other single entity. And it is for this reason that I don't trust man with religion.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 4:42

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

TommyT-Bone Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Don, I know some people that will agree with you whole heartedly. Not suggesting you join them but they might join you.

Attach file:

jpg  you are reight.jpg (5.80 KB)
852_4e041986745ab.jpg 144X160 px
Posted on: 2011/6/24 4:58

JrRifleCoach Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:
bogus wrote:
I beg to ask, what is "traditional?" It wasn't that long ago, teaching racism was "traditional."

So now your making reference to "traditional" as a bad thing?

How typical of the left agenda to categorize.

Read my sig long and hard.......
Posted on: 2011/6/24 5:41
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

bogus Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I did not say tradition is bad. It's constantly being held under the spot light of change.

300 years ago, what was tradition is now not even remembered. When the Pilgrams arrived, their traditions required that one spent the entire Sunday praying or in church. If not, you risked being kicked out.

What about the traditions of the Aztecs? When sacrificing virgins was a Saturday night party affair. I am sure if you suggested to them that this was a bad tradition, all sorts of threats would come your way.

In the 1930s, it was tradition to sit around the radio and listen to the show... go to the movies on a Saturday afternoon...

Tradition is in constant flux. And people cling to them because they are comfortable and something they can relate to. And people will fight this change to the death because they believe their tradition is better than others. There is something so very personal about them... and change, however frequent, is akin to a paradigm shifting without a clutch.

And if you are saying that tradition is the sole provenance of the right, then you have just falling a few steps down the ladder of sanity. So much like the right to peg the left as being evil destroyers of their way of life.

Need I remind you that I am a moderate?

oh, and I did read your sig... very carefully... and you know something... get ready for this: BOTH SIDES ARE GUILTY OF THIS. And this is the root of our national division. Both think they are so righteous that the other is belittled for not agreeing. It's simple bullshit, disguised as politics. I hate it.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 6:24

Epimax Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Totally agreed with both of you.....sorry, it makes me sick.

Same here...

I agree with Tommy here..
"There are many lifestyles in this nation that I do not agree with or partake in. Same with religious views. I personally feel it's an individual choice and try not to get my personal views mixed up in other peoples choices."

And especially here...
"Then again I hate when an agenda is forced upon me"
Posted on: 2011/6/24 10:41

Matatk Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I agree with Tommy and Andy on this. I respect your views, Don, but where did they come from? You were taught that by your parents and colleagues growing up. Those were the norms and mores you grew up with. Everyone is different. If you were born into a Muslim family, you'd probably hate all Jews and Christians, then the title of this would be "why does everyone say it's OK to be Jewish/Christian?"

And if you want to bring up "tradition" or say this is "new" - homosexuality was well documented in Ancient Greece, and was commonly accepted by all - and that was thousands of years ago. Just something to consider.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/6/24 12:23

Durango_Boy Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Most of what I'm seeing above references two men in a gay relationship.

Not much reference to two women in a gay relationship.

Picture two woman kissing or having sex. Honestly, who's turned off by that? Certainly not me. I have no aversion to gay woman. Why should it be different for men? The thought of two men kissing or having sex disgusts me. Double standard I guess.

The odd part, most women agree with us, that seeing two men together seems wrong yet two women together is accepted, and even a turn on for most men and woman.

It is what it is.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 12:24

biggrizzly Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
4543 Posts

I knew this was an explosive and controversial topic and don't want to piss anyone off. I am just venting not so much because of the act of homosexuality or that two dudes live together or two chicks dig one another and set up house like Ozzie & Harriet, but because of the mainstream approval and heavily publicized approval rating it shares on TV and in the news.

I still can't help believe that there are many young people out there that are convinced they are gay or influenced in some manner because of the widespread approval and desensitization of homosexuality by pop culture. Adolescence is a difficult enough time for lots of kids but why give them an other option.

I don't know...I am usually pretty moderate myself, or at least I'd like to think I am and in some way I'm sorry for bringing this up in a public forum. I guess I should have kept my head in the sand like the rest but sitting there last night watching TV with one advertisement after another and then the story lines of so many sitcoms and TV shows finally just aggravated me enough to make this post. Additionally, I'm not a homophobe and I too have friends and acquaintances that are gay, live together, and have differing lifestyles, so its not the people so much I'm bitching about, but the widespread commercialization and approval rating it gets. I think that I am going to start making commercials that portray sanctity of heterosexual marriage and how it can make for a fulfilling life for young people too!! Kind of like the old Ozzie & Harriet or Leave it to Beaver shows. Or commercials that quickly flash images and videos of happy heterosexual couples engaging in fun wholesome activities, holding hands and saying "It's OK to be straight.. we belong"...
Posted on: 2011/6/24 12:24

Matatk Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Don - I don't think anyone is mad at you for this! Having poignant conversations and discussions is important. But if you want this thread to vanish, let me know.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/6/24 12:35

Epimax Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
so its not the people so much I'm bitching about, but the widespread commercialization and approval rating it gets. I think that I am going to start making commercials that portray sanctity of heterosexual marriage and how it can make for a fulfilling life for young people too!! Kind of like the old Ozzie & Harriet or Leave it to Beaver shows. Or commercials that quickly flash images and videos of happy heterosexual couples engaging in fun wholesome activities, holding hands and saying "It's OK to be straight.. we belong"...

Amen!
Posted on: 2011/6/24 12:39

flyboy Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

As far as pushing their agenda, it's a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 12:48

biggrizzly Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
4543 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
As far as pushing their agenda, it's a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

LOL - that's bad!!
Posted on: 2011/6/24 12:56

tjpreul Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

Picture two woman kissing or having sex. Honestly, who's turned off by that? Certainly not me. I have no aversion to gay woman.

Attach file:

jpg  rosie.jpg (27.61 KB)
1727_4e0491aca3ef6.jpg 430X426 px
Posted on: 2011/6/24 13:31

JeffK Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Posted on: 2011/6/24 13:33

BillH Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

Picture two woman kissing or having sex. Honestly, who's turned off by that? Certainly not me. I have no aversion to gay woman.

I'm blind!!!!!
Posted on: 2011/6/24 13:51

Ultraman Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14737 Posts

As a Bible belt homophobe I have to agree with what Don is saying about this agenda being forced on us by the media. The problem I have is that the media looks at this like they do race issues.

Back in the 60's it was huge when NBC put Bill Cosby in a starring role on I Spy. Now we all agree that that social agenda was needed and for the most part we have seen race issues decline over the decades to the point that we don't even think about what color a mans skin is anymore. It's can this man do the job, is he honest and trustworthy.

To a great extent that is what they are trying to do with the gay agenda. As the young kids grow up they see it as normal and it just is what it is. I don't see the gay agenda as the same thing as race discrimination. Gays do not want to be discriminated against and have asked over the years for special laws to be passed to protect them, when in truth they have all the protections built into the Constitution of the United States.

Race and deviant behavior are not the same thing. What constitutes diviant behavior? Where do you draw the line. Certanly what happens between consenting adults is nobodys business but theirs but why do they have to push it on us.

The Bible is not wishy washy on the subject and that is where the Christians get their ammunition. The idea that gets shoved under the rug though is that we are to love the sinner and hate the sin. Often time we end up hating them both and that is not what the Lord had in mind. It was designed for a man to love a woman and anything other than that is a diviation of what God intended. So like a lot of things in our fallen world it is a sin.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:05

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

4543 Posts

This is the ad that really set me off. I also don't appreciate that they use the characters from Toy Story to promote their agenda to children.

Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:07

Durango_Boy Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

I see your gross example, and raise you a fantastic example.

Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:22

flyboy Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:23

teebee Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Alright, I'll put my .02 in. I really don't have a problem with "adult choices". But when they start pushing for special treatment, it irks me to no end. We have kids in our little school (175-200, 9-12 inclusive) which are gay as gay can be. Do they get picked on? I don't know, I never see it, but that doesn't mean they don't. I really don't have an issue with gay choice. Just don't force your decisions/choices on me, my family, or anyone else. Like Tommy, I have friends who are gay, religious zealots, and people of various ethnic backgrounds. The key is, they don't flaunt it, shove it in peoples faces, or go about "advertising" their choices.

It's a free world, do as you please, just don't slam it in our faces.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:43

Resized Image

BillH Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
This is the ad that really set me off. I also don't appreciate that they use the characters from Toy Story to promote their agenda to children.

That you find this offensive means ...nothing, it has to stay on the air.

However, if you fly a large American flag on Veteran's Day and it offends even one person, the damn thing has to come down immediately.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:43

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Precisely what I mean, Thank you Bill.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:46

Resized Image

4543 Posts

BTW - that is a prime time advertisement broadcast on one of the three networks. I can't remember which one I was looking at.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 14:51

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

I don't have a problem with that ad. To me it looks like a group who feels they are oppressed reaching out with media to tell others to persevere.

Guess there never should have been race riots, either.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 15:08

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
The key is, they don't flaunt it, shove it in peoples faces, or go about "advertising" their choices.

Guess they should remove from television:

1) every Christian religious channel since all it does is slam those religious beliefs in our faces

2) nearly every sitcom on every station, since they all tend to deal with marriage and it's problems...slamming it in our faces

3) every reality show having to do with dating or marriage...aka the bachelor/bachelorette....since it slams that belief in our faces
Posted on: 2011/6/24 15:11

4543 Posts

If I had children to raise today it would be very difficult for me to allow them to watch a lot of crap that's on the television. How would I want them to perceive their environment? Would I rather them be taught that sodomy and homosexual activity is the norm for society, an OK behavior and maybe they should give it a try? or that they should live a life of monogamy and wholesome heterosexual relationships. Providing them good examples of those normal behaviors as well? These are questions I'm glad I don't have to ask myself because I don't have kids, but many of you do. How will you handle those questions?
Posted on: 2011/6/24 15:41

Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I did not say tradition is bad. It's constantly being held under the spot light of change. Yes you referenced "racisim" as the BAD example

300 years ago, what was tradition is now not even remembered. When the Pilgrams arrived, their traditions required that one spent the entire Sunday praying or in church. If not, you risked being kicked out.If any of us violated the CG rules would you not be inclined to have us removed?

What about the traditions of the Aztecs? When sacrificing virgins was a Saturday night party affair. I am sure if you suggested to them that this was a bad tradition, all sorts of threats would come your way.Oh yeah good example cult based religion from 2000 years ago

Tradition is in constant flux. Only in the eyes of people that can't handle traditional values And people cling to them because they are comfortable and something they can relate to. And people will fight this change to the death because they believe their tradition is better than others. You phrase this as if it was bad...

Need I remind you that I am a moderate? With a silly left hook

oh, and I did read your sig... very carefully... and you know something... get ready for this: BOTH SIDES ARE GUILTY OF THIS. And this is the root of our national division. Both think they are so righteous that the other is belittled for not agreeing. It's simple bullshit, disguised as politics. I hate it.

Here is where moderates make me laugh. Instead of taking a position and standing firm, they like to be wishy-washy, flip-flop and find reason to defeat both sides of an arguement, and leaving without truely defining their position. It must be lonely to not have their soles at peace.

WHen raising children the parents must establish a solid base for them develop from. If this base is weak or unstable with indecision, how can a child ever develop a solid grasp of lifes concepts? Here is where our society has gone awry with single parents, gheys and working parents too busy to properly raise their young. How can these children possibly have a decent upbringing and develop into a respectful individual? Oh there are the few that survive but those are rare. The jails and rehab houses are full of those who couldn't find themselves...
Posted on: 2011/6/24 15:48

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I can't wait for the modern, in your face, bestiality version of Mr. Ed. Broadcast during the family viewing hours, of course.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 15:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
How will you handle those questions?

Let them watch MTV and the reality shows and tell them it's perfectly fine to do what they do.

Send a letter of congratulations to the schoolboards that are handing out condoms to kindergarden kids.

Tell the kindergarden teachers in San Francisco that you support the class trips to "Dykes on Bikes".

And let them know that Lindsay Lohan is being persecuted for acting normal.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 15:55

Ultraman Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Huskerland
14737 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
I don't have a problem with that ad. To me it looks like a group who feels they are oppressed reaching out with media to tell others to persevere.

Matt see post #20. Social agendas and deviant behavior are not the same thing. Defining deviant behavior is hard to do these days. We keep sliding back and letting more in as the norm. What about the poor pedaphiles when is that going to be ok? Just saying..........

Man Don, hot topic. Corvettes are not deviant, Corvettes are not deviant.......
Posted on: 2011/6/24 16:17

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:

WHen raising children the parents must establish a solid base for them develop from. If this base is weak or unstable with indecision, how can a child ever develop a solid grasp of lifes concepts? Here is where our society has gone awry with single parents, gheys and working parents too busy to properly raise their young. How can these children possibly have a decent upbringing and develop into a respectful individual? Oh there are the few that survive but those are rare. The jails and rehab houses are full of those who couldn't find themselves...

Well said, Steve.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 16:21

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matt see post #20. Social agendas and deviant behavior are not the same thing. Defining deviant behavior is hard to do these days. We keep sliding back and letting more in as the norm. What about the poor pedaphiles when is that going to be ok? Just saying..........

The definition of "deviance" comes from society. So inherently, defiant behavior IS a social agenda.

Let me ask you this:

Is it only deviant because a bible-belt homophobe said it is?????

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/6/24 16:50

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

And although I wouldn't quote the way Steve said it, I agree that it's up to the parents (plural) to raise their child properly. Parents are the ones who form the child's outlook on the world and how they react to other people.

But sorry, I don't think being gay is a choice.

Matthew
Posted on: 2011/6/24 16:51

Vetron87 Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Life experiences have taught me a nonjudgemental relationship with people. I have had over 25,000 students in my teaching career, from teaching swimming, small weopons and tactics, explosives, to auto shop, woods, and welding. I have had gay, lesbian and gender dysphoric students. I never judged, emotional I could turn it off, I could tell in minutes their ability for success.
Several years ago my wife and I ran across one of my gender dysphoric students, now a female, she told me that if I had made fun of him in my auto shop he was ready to pull the trigger. Yea never know who your going to influence positive or negative. Never thought it would be a matter of life or death.
I can relate to what a minority in our society goes through. Returning to San Diego after my second tour in Vietnam, I decided to buy a 69 Dodge Charger with a Hemi to try and sort my life out with drive back to Indiana. My second purchase was a Colt Python 4" 357 magnum for my exit stradegy in case I couldn't find my way home with the Charger. I had been spit on, called baby killer, emotionally I began to shut down, I was the minority, no one respected the fact that I helped give them the freedom to express themselves. I didn't asked to be treated this way, I didn't choose to risk my life, it just happened!
Maybe thats what gave me the tolerance to deal with others and their baggage. When I left the Navy I was a type A with hostile/aggressive behavior. The drive home did me a world of good, I still have the Python.
People want to put a label or stereotype people and behaviors society deems wrong. Killing is wrong but society and politics makes it ok. After spilling my guts I may not agree with behaviors and glorification of a behavior but thats what our society does. After SEAL Team 6 eliminated Bin Laden, all of a sudden Navy Recruiters were swarmered with people wanting to be SEALs without any thought of the price we pay to do this.
I just smile stay focused one my family and move on.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 16:53

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Posted on: 2011/6/24 16:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
I did not say tradition is bad. It's constantly being held under the spot light of change. Yes you referenced "racisim" as the BAD example

300 years ago, what was tradition is now not even remembered. When the Pilgrams arrived, their traditions required that one spent the entire Sunday praying or in church. If not, you risked being kicked out.If any of us violated the CG rules would you not be inclined to have us removed?

What about the traditions of the Aztecs? When sacrificing virgins was a Saturday night party affair. I am sure if you suggested to them that this was a bad tradition, all sorts of threats would come your way.Oh yeah good example cult based religion from 2000 years ago

Tradition is in constant flux. Only in the eyes of people that can't handle traditional values And people cling to them because they are comfortable and something they can relate to. And people will fight this change to the death because they believe their tradition is better than others. You phrase this as if it was bad...

Need I remind you that I am a moderate? With a silly left hook

Here is where moderates make me laugh. Instead of taking a position and standing firm, they like to be wishy-washy, flip-flop and find reason to defeat both sides of an arguement, and leaving without truely defining their position. It must be lonely to not have their soles at peace.

You know me well enough to know, Steve, that I am nothing if NOT wishy-washy. I do not flip flop, either.

What I am finding annoying about this discussion is how you are collectively thinking that someone is trying to make people gay.

All they are doing is saying that being gay isn't a bad thing.

The Bible made homosexuality a sin because the early church needed more people. Same reason sodomy was made a sin... oh, and whacking off. All a waste of seed stock, eh?

Over the few thousand years, the sin has turned into a monster of its own. Causing gays to be murdered in the name of God. And that is unmitigated bullshit.

And explain to me how discrimination against a gay is any different then against a black man?

The first gay rights movement started as a direct result of the civil rights movement. And if the Constitution provided proper protection against civil rights abuses against blacks, why did they need an amendment.

If there were proper protections, the gays should be allowed marriage. Or at the very least, civil unions. Oh, Canada allows it. These couples should be entitled to the same benefits as a hetero married couple. Why not? Right to inheritance, right to health benefits...

Prop 8, a voter initiative issued at the last election, was designed to repeal the gay marriage law. It narrowly won. A judge overturned it, because of legal word games and another judge was asked to overturn that overturn, because the original judge was gay! Are we to say that if a straight judge ruled against it, that since he was straight he can't rule against?

What is so insidious about this, in my opinion, is that being gay isn't the problem. It's that a major part of American society isn't mature enough to just let it be.

off to watch the commercial.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 16:55

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

Oh, my. Don...

This isn't promoting an agenda to children. This is so much deeper. This is helping. This is cathartic.

This is an adult generation, helping teens, who are now coming to terms with their own sexuality and having to deal with bullies, thugs, ignorance, intolerance.

I graduated HS in 1983. There was a small group - dozen or so - boys where were gay and in the cosmetology program at the local vocational HS. They were seriously flaming.

On boy in that group, Phil, I met as a sophomore. He was a freshman and we sat next to each other in typing class. We were friends and all was cool.

The following year, I was a jr and he soph, during that summer, he came out of the closet. What was interesting was how he acted out against ME. I never had much problem with that group, there were others who felt they had to prove their manliness by picking on the gay kids, but it wasn't my deal - I had been bullied enough for being the fat kid, it never felt right for me to bully someone else for whatever reason.

Perhaps this is why I feel social equality for all is so very important... because I was denied that in grade school by my peers.

I have a friend who is somewhat hiding in the closet. I have another who has come out completely. And it doesn't bother me. It is what it is. My one friend who is out has been with his partner for 7 or 8 years.

Love is blind. Man is opinionated.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 17:05

4543 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

What I am finding annoying about this discussion is how you are collectively thinking that someone is trying to make people gay.

I don't think anyone said that someone is trying to make people gay. I'm saying that the media and pop culture are pushing the "Gay is OK" philosophy too hard and it is in the face of every person that turns on a TV set, surfs the web or reads the paper. I don't go looking for this stuff, its all over the place. However, what the TV and Media is saying, is that homosexuality is an OK behavior! And just that approval alone is enough to wrongly persuade a young confused person down a path they may not want to travel.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 17:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

I don't think anyone said that someone is trying to make people gay. I'm saying that the media and pop culture are pushing the "Gay is OK" philosophy too hard and it is in the face of every person that turns on a TV set, surfs the web or reads the paper. I don't go looking for this stuff, its all over the place. However, what the TV and Media is saying, is that homosexuality is an OK behavior! And just that approval alone is enough to wrongly persuade a young confused person down a path they may not want to travel.

Which translates into: The media is making people gay.

It is known that self loathing was a serious issue within the gay ranks... but equal treatment and less aggressive bullying made that less of an issue.

I am SURE that somewhere, some kid, whose folks are serious Christians is so torn up by this, that he or she will marry because that is what is expected. The be miserable for the rest of their lives.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 17:36

Calm Re: Don't open this if you get your feelings hurt - Why does everyone say its OK to be gay?[PR&C]
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Life experiences have taught me a nonjudgemental relationship with people. I have had over 25,000 students in my teaching career, from teaching swimming, small weopons and tactics, explosives, to auto shop, woods, and welding. I have had gay, lesbian and gender dysphoric students. I never judged, emotional I could turn it off, I could tell in minutes their ability for success.
Several years ago my wife and I ran across one of my gender dysphoric students, now a female, she told me that if I had made fun of him in my auto shop he was ready to pull the trigger. Yea never know who your going to influence positive or negative. Never thought it would be a matter of life or death.
I can relate to what a minority in our society goes through. Returning to San Diego after my second tour in Vietnam, I decided to buy a 69 Dodge Charger with a Hemi to try and sort my life out with drive back to Indiana. My second purchase was a Colt Python 4" 357 magnum for my exit stradegy in case I couldn't find my way home with the Charger. I had been spit on, called baby killer, emotionally I began to shut down, I was the minority, no one respected the fact that I helped give them the freedom to express themselves. I didn't asked to be treated this way, I didn't choose to risk my life, it just happened!
Maybe thats what gave me the tolerance to deal with others and their baggage. When I left the Navy I was a type A with hostile/aggressive behavior. The drive home did me a world of good, I still have the Python.
People want to put a label or stereotype people and behaviors society deems wrong. Killing is wrong but society and politics makes it ok. After spilling my guts I may not agree with behaviors and glorification of a behavior but thats what our society does. After SEAL Team 6 eliminated Bin Laden, all of a sudden Navy Recruiters were swarmered with people wanting to be SEALs without any thought of the price we pay to do this.
I just smile stay focused one my family and move on.

You NAILED it!
Posted on: 2011/6/24 17:37

4543 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Oh, my. Don...
This isn't promoting an agenda to children. This is so much deeper. This is helping. This is cathartic.

This is just one example... cathartic for gay guys, yeah, but it does still promote the "Gay is OK" agenda and children watch it... Each of those vignettes were selected to appeal to a different segment of the audience. If the creators didn't want to appeal to children then why use the Toy Story character out of context to promote the message?

This is tiring and I have a lot of work to catch up on...

Take Care... It is a good day!
Posted on: 2011/6/24 17:38

Lakin, Kansas 67860
12364 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

teebee wrote:
The key is, they don't flaunt it, shove it in peoples faces, or go about "advertising" their choices.

1) every Christian religious channel since all it does is slam those religious beliefs in our faces

2) nearly every sitcom on every station, since they all tend to deal with marriage and it's problems...slamming it in our faces

3) every reality show having to do with dating or marriage...aka the bachelor/bachelorette....since it slams that belief in our faces

I would tend to agree with you Matt, take them off. I guess most of these really don't affect me, because I choose not to watch those things, unfortunately my grandkids, like most, do watch them, because of the way they are rationalized and touted to the younger generations.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 17:55

Resized Image

4543 Posts

Quote:

teebee wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

teebee wrote:

I would tend to agree with you Matt, take them off. I guess most of these really don't affect me, because I choose not to watch those things, unfortunately my grandkids, like most, do watch them, because of the way they are rationalized and touted to the younger generations.

I agree... take them all off the air! All I want to see is automotive related programming! And they better do the shows I want... Mostly Corvette or Chevrolet related. No damn Mopars or Fords... That would piss me off and I'd have to write a thread about the Mopar or Ford people pushing their agenda on us!! LOL
Posted on: 2011/6/24 18:05

Huskerland
14737 Posts

Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Quote:

Ultraman wrote:
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

The definition of "deviance" comes from society. So inherently, defiant behavior IS a social agenda.

Let me ask you this:

Is it only deviant because a bible-belt homophobe said it is?????

Matthew

No, not just me, I think the majority of our society do feel that homosexuality is not the norm nor should it be.
Posted on: 2011/6/24 19:01

Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:
Ultraman wrote:
No, not just me, I think the majority of our society do feel that homosexuality is not the norm nor should it be.

Exactly! And some of us are more willing to raise our voices than others.

As my daughter recently reminded me, some things are just not that important.

Andy...I still love ya man!
Posted on: 2011/6/24 20:06

4543 Posts

Quote:

JrRifleCoach wrote:
Quote:
Ultraman wrote:

Exactly! And some of us are more willing to raise our voices than others.

As my daughter recently reminded me, some things are just not that important.

Andy...I still love ya man!

"Hey.. none of that in here!"

Me too Andy!
Posted on: 2011/6/24 21:12

(1) 2 3 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.