Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
288 user(s) are online (248 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Stingray
1969 through 1976 Corvette.

Not to be confused with the Sting Ray, 1963 - 1967....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Topic is Locked

bogus Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Yes. This is important.

I am speaking on behalf of the moderating staff... and what's left of my nerves.

Several months ago, we had some pissing contests here, and it forced me to write the thread regarding Civility.

If you need a reminder, read it here.

Well, the pissing contests are starting again, and I am not happy about it. The number of locked threads, all because of a few morons flinging their testosterone around. Yes, I said morons. Mainly, because as a collective, you can't seem to control your desires to push each others buttons.

And I am tired of it. Plain and simple. I can't put it into any other words.

Damn it all to hell, guys - and you all know who I am talking to, don't try to deny it, I have read the posts - this is a tech section. Honour that. Talk tech and stop the trash.

I don't want this section filled with crap left over from some petty arguments. I want this section filled with valid technical discussions. That way, in a couple of years, we have good information to share, not garbage.

I am tired of all the arguments based on nothing more than conjecture. If you want to argue, you sure as hell better bring real information to the table, not just opinion, or else. As a reminder, I live for empirical data. Show me the money, ok?

To be brutally honest, I don't like coming home of an evening finding PMs complaining about others actions, posts in the Mod section asking what are we going to do, or just fishing through posts with more and more vitriol than we need... anyone needs.

Understand?
Posted on: 2008/11/23 2:18

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

88BlackZ51 Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Senior Guru
481 Posts

I am sick of it as well. Thanks for this thread!
Posted on: 2008/11/23 2:23

cuisinartvette Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Yeah, me too :pills:
Posted on: 2008/11/23 2:27

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

BrianCunningham Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

ditto
Posted on: 2008/11/23 2:32

mseven Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

me three
Posted on: 2008/11/23 2:36

jsup Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I am tired of all the arguments based on nothing more than conjecture. If you want to argue, you sure as hell better bring real information to the table, not just opinion, or else. As a reminder, I live for empirical data. Show me the money, ok?

Understand?

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Posted on: 2008/11/23 2:38

Notorious Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Yeah, it reminds me of watching "reality" TV, which I despise...
Posted on: 2008/11/23 3:13

Matatk Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Thanks, Andy. I think we were all getting a little sick of it.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/11/23 12:41

BillH Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I found them really funny, thought I hit the wrong button and was on CF.

I can do without them.
Posted on: 2008/11/23 16:00

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Actually Andy it seemed more of a discussion wether there were disagrements or not hadnt seen any bashing or attacks.

Maybe some criteria does get old but still..
Thoughts?
Posted on: 2008/11/23 17:09

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Actually Andy it seemed more of a discussion wether there were disagrements or not hadnt seen any bashing or attacks.

Maybe some criteria does get old but still..
Thoughts?

Here's my thoughts....

What you and I have are discussions. Civil, pointed, and with facts. Back and forth discussing substance.

What sets me off, and it's embarrassing, is, well Andy said it best:

Quote:

From where I sit if someone makes a claim, I'd like to see the backup, real backup, valid backup. If I make a claim, I hope someone holds me to task. That's called a discussion.

"I know a guy" and "this unrelated build did X " isn't adding to the discussion. Nor is "this product is great because the manufacturer said so."
Posted on: 2008/11/23 17:18

bogus Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

John nailed it.

Within the scope of the discussions between you and John, Ron, they have been very civil and based upon knowledge and first hand experience.

The others are the ones I am focusing on.

An example would be me, one who has not built a lot of engines (2 or three over my entire life, and only one being a Chevy, the others being a Honda and a Mercedes) preaching about part selection.

I can make educated suggestions, or brands to look out for, but I cannot (and will not) make pointed recommendations. I simply don't have the build experience to do this. And that's what I am concerned with, certian members with limited (or non-existent) build experience presenting themselves as seasoned professionals.
Posted on: 2008/11/23 18:28

BeachBum Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Master Guru
751 Posts

This forum is funny !
Posted on: 2008/11/23 19:49

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hm.

Attach file:

gif  I Shall Be Pot.gif (32.29 KB)
3_4929b83baeecf.gif 600X202 px
Posted on: 2008/11/23 20:08

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Guru tech discussions

[IMG]http://www.backyardadv.com/images/accessories/sandbox.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2008/11/23 20:49

Schrade Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote: Show me the money, ok?

Understand?

Copy on that uh huh.

Attach file:

jpg  bogus'smoney.jpg (144.72 KB)
1687_4929c28af1019.jpg 750X658 px
Posted on: 2008/11/23 20:52

Resized Image

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

[QUOTE]bogus'smoney.jpg[/QUOTE]
Posted on: 2008/11/23 20:53

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Guru tech discussions

[IMG]http://www.backyardadv.com/images/accessories/sandbox.jpg[/IMG]

I'm the BOY!!!

Who are the other two?
Posted on: 2008/11/23 21:49

BrianCunningham Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

We're never going to agree on everything, otherwise everyone would be driving the same car.

BORING

At the same time we can't be bringing up the same arguement again and again and again....
Posted on: 2008/11/23 22:03

TommyT-Bone Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Thanks a million Andy.

Attach file:

jpg  million.jpg (8.76 KB)
852_4929da872c202.jpg 171X185 px
Posted on: 2008/11/23 22:34

Master Guru
751 Posts

What I thought was funny..... the Moderator posts a warning to a few members not to squabble..... then the squabblers come on and say, I agree, this squabbling has got to end..... lol

Maybe its just me, but that there is some funny stuff....
Posted on: 2008/11/23 23:15

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

wesmigletz Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Senior Guru
Land of Fruits and Nuts
325 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
What I thought was funny..... the Moderator posts a warning to a few members not to squabble..... then the squabblers come on and say, I agree, this squabbling has got to end..... lol

Beachbum, I can't speak for the others, but you gave a well-thought response to one of my threads over in C1...
Posted on: 2008/11/23 23:20

Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

wesmigletz wrote:
Quote:

BeachBum wrote:

Beachbum, I can't speak for the others, but you gave a well-thought response to one of my threads over in C1...

I did ?

edit: Okay, I see, the CNC post.

Thanks for noticing
Posted on: 2008/11/23 23:36

Josh Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I thought it was odd that the first person to respond to the anti-squabble post is one of the people responsible for the anti-squabble post.

We all know what Andy is talking about, so I'll say it since no one else has:

ENOUGH with the head debates. JSUP and 88blackZ51, this means YOU. Rick, before you come storming in here proclaiming that you don't ever start anything, we all see you pushing JSUP's buttons. You know you do it, we know you do it, he knows you do it; now it's time to stop doing it.

JSUP (or more commonly known as the one man anti-AFR crusade), let it go. You enjoy the fights, regardless of what you say from here on out, you do. There is no way you could stay as attentive to the threads if you didn't. I understand, I like fighting with the ZR1 crowd on the other board from time to time, but regardless of how right you may or may not be, it's time to stop.

Prozac, this is a tech forum. Popping in during a thread about engine building with questions like, "Is your interior really that red color?" or some other equally non-relevant post doesn't help anyone. Despite the other forums you may visit, this forum is here for technical advice. During discussions of cam specs, questions like, "Is your name really William Williams?" are not relevant, and serve no purpose.

I don't think we need to be nazi's about everything, but damn just try to post responsibly is all. I'm just as guilty as anyone, but I'll make an effort to be better. I would like to think that everyone else could do the same.
Posted on: 2008/11/24 3:33

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Josh wrote:
I thought it was odd that the first person to respond to the anti-squabble post is one of the people responsible for the anti-squabble post.

We all know what Andy is talking about, so I'll say it since no one else has:

ENOUGH with the head debates. JSUP and 88blackZ51, this means YOU. Rick, before you come storming in here proclaiming that you don't ever start anything, we all see you pushing JSUP's buttons. You know you do it, we know you do it, he knows you do it; now it's time to stop doing it.

JSUP (or more commonly known as the one man anti-AFR crusade), let it go. You enjoy the fights, regardless of what you say from here on out, you do. There is no way you could stay as attentive to the threads if you didn't. I understand, I like fighting with the ZR1 crowd on the other board from time to time, but regardless of how right you may or may not be, it's time to stop.

Prozac, this is a tech forum. Popping in during a thread about engine building with questions like, "Is your interior really that red color?" or some other equally non-relevant post doesn't help anyone. Despite the other forums you may visit, this forum is here for technical advice. During discussions of cam specs, questions like, "Is your name really William Williams?" are not relevant, and serve no purpose.

I don't think we need to be nazi's about everything, but damn just try to post responsibly is all. I'm just as guilty as anyone, but I'll make an effort to be better. I would like to think that everyone else could do the same.

Paardon me while I get defensive..

Here is a perfect example of a civil, well discussed thread:
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... 116&forum=1&post_id=60747

What don't you see there? What you don't see is repeated quotations of unsubstantiated crap. What you do see is adults having an adult conversation.

And again, for the record, I am NOT let me repeat, NOT on an ANTI AFR crusade.

My crusade is that I believe that the claims of vast AFR superiority are waaaayyyyy over stated and unproven and should not be spread as fact. Not by AFR, that's their job, but by the know nothings who spread this crap as gospel. Period. And to date, no one has proven any of these wild unsubstantiated claims. None of the information ever presented supported the claim. AFR wanted to take my money based on a claim I'd pick up 40HP. I said fine prove it. They never proved it, and I'm the bad guy, go figure. I have a serious problem with people taking $2000 from me for something they can't prove.

And, if you want to bring that in, in a thread that disappeared somewhere else, AFR posted questionable dyno charts which were demonstrated fraudulent. So if I have any problem with them it's taking people's money on false pretense. I think people should know that, and yes I have a problem with that. Oh, and while I'm at it, I have been emailed proof that AFR had a known core shift problem, in Tony's own words, and won't replace lltrevino's heads. Another reason among many I have a problem with them. Not to mention people who received heads full of metal shavings and clearly dropped and dented and just stuck back in the box. Are we not allowed to tell people this stuff or should we just defer to Ricky and flow numbers? People spending money have the right to know, and I have more, plenty more. Put that in your anti AFR pipe and smoke it. How people can fall over this kind of company is beyond me.

Oh, and it's not a "one man" crusade. Plenty of people would love to comment but don't want to get into the bullshit with leghumpers. "not worth the time" as I have been told. Well, I'm just a bit more quixotic then they are, doesn't mean I'm alone.

That's my crusade just so you know. I have a problem with people spreading unsubstantiated bullshit as science, when it's not, and telling people to spend hard earned money on it. And manufacturers making claims they can't support. I would hope people would join me in said crusade, not marginalize me because it doesn't fit their hallucinogenic reality.

I think that's what Andy would want. Hence "Your INDEPENDENT Corvette resource"...

I was told by one of the engineers who worked with me for a month, and no not Deakins, that 99% of the information on CF Tech is utter bullshit. This place doesn't need that rep, and that is what Andy wants. There are no sacred cows, and that is good.

We went through that entire thread linked above without incident, we discussed, we bantered, points were made, counter points were given. It was nice. Why can't they all be that way?
Posted on: 2008/11/24 3:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Josh is right... as is John.

Here comes the problem: Perception is a bitch, and no matter what, the perception is that John is on an anti-AFR rant. That is the PERCEPTION. I don't think that's the purpose, tho.

However... John, you are not helping your argument - by arguing. Seriously, it isn't worth defending on every post. It really isn't. All it does is clutter a bunch of posts with nothing more than a lot of words that people will roll their eyes at and ignore. How does one get their point across that way?

I do agree, I want open and active debate, but constantly defending positions simply repeats the debate. Then it gets lost in its own flotsam and jetsam.

I am done.
Posted on: 2008/11/24 5:00

Josh Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Paardon me while I get defensive..

Why? Why act like that? Just be cool and discuss it. There's no need to get defensive.

Quote:
And again, for the record, I am NOT let me repeat, NOT on an ANTI AFR crusade.

That's fine, but that's the way most people perceive you. I don't give two shits about AFR heads VS any other head, here you go flipping out on me for no real reason.

Quote:
My crusade is that I believe that the claims of vast AFR superiority are waaaayyyyy over stated and unproven and should not be spread as fact. [SNIP] taking $2000 from me for something they can't prove.

I agree with you, 100%. I went through the same thing with Azzato on the other board about his rear end conversion. I battled him, his leg humpers, contested his claims with proof, showed his complete lack of character, asked for answers that I never received; and I was rewarded with being called an idiot, rude PM's from his fan club, and was eventually threatened with moderator action if I didn't stop harassing a paying vendor of the forum. I know where you are coming from, so don't act like you are the only one who feels like you do.

The difference is that I chose to leave it alone after the one huge blow out I had with him. Maybe that was wrong, maybe it wasn't I dunno. What I do know is that you have taken it to another level, a level that causes detriment to your original goal of getting members to think for themselves. I think of you sort of like an over zealous preacher. While the intent is probably good, the messenger is so far off their fucking rocker that you won't listen to them. Step back man, take a breath, and slow your roll a little. That's all I'm saying. You might start by not getting defensive when someone calls you on your bull shit like I did.

Quote:
And, if you want to bring that in, in a thread that disappeared somewhere else, AFR posted questionable dyno charts which were demonstrated fraudulent. So if I have any problem with them it's taking people's money on false pretense. I think people should know that, and yes I have a problem with that. Oh, and while I'm at it, I have been emailed proof that AFR had a known core shift problem, in Tony's own words, and won't replace lltrevino's heads. Another reason among many I have a problem with them. Not to mention people who received heads full of metal shavings and clearly dropped and dented and just stuck back in the box. Are we not allowed to tell people this stuff or should we just defer to Ricky and flow numbers? People spending money have the right to know, and I have more, plenty more. Put that in your anti AFR pipe and smoke it. How people can fall over this kind of company is beyond me.

Dude, enough. For someone NOT on an anti-AFR crusade, you have a TON of negative information about them.

Quote:
Oh, and it's not a "one man" crusade. Plenty of people would love to comment but don't want to get into the bullshit with leghumpers. "not worth the time" as I have been told. Well, I'm just a bit more quixotic then they are, doesn't mean I'm alone.

Lighten up killer. We could argue the semantics about your crusade (or lack thereof, how many people are on the boat, etc...) all day, but we won't get anywhere. Let's get back to trying to be better members of this forum.

Quote:
That's my crusade just so you know. I have a problem with people spreading unsubstantiated bullshit as science, when it's not, and telling people to spend hard earned money on it. And manufacturers making claims they can't support. I would hope people would join me in said crusade, not marginalize me because it doesn't fit their hallucinogenic reality.

I agree, 100%. Like I said though, you're at an 11 and we're going to need you at about a 4. Throttle back and I think you'll make more head way.

Quote:
I think that's what Andy would want. Hence "Your INDEPENDENT Corvette resource"...

I don't know, or pretend to know, what Andy wants. I'm not banned yet, so I assume he's cool with me. I figure Andy asking you to chill the fuck out was pretty point blank, but we wouldn't want you to get defensive, so I think he termed it pretty well. I'm a much larger prick than he is, so I'll just tell you straight up: I am sick of seeing you flip out constantly. Chill out.

Quote:
I was told by one of the engineers who worked with me for a month, and no not Deakins, that 99% of the information on CF Tech is utter bullshit. This place doesn't need that rep, and that is what Andy wants. There are no sacred cows, and that is good.

We went through that entire thread linked above without incident, we discussed, we bantered, points were made, counter points were given. It was nice. Why can't they all be that way?

I'm on board 100%. Most of the CF is crap, we don't want that rep here, and discussions are better than arguments.
Posted on: 2008/11/24 5:46

movnviolation Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

Andy

I was reading some of the other post and saw what is driving you up a wall, and I am bored with it as well! Everything is turning into a pissing match. This was a great site but is losing status rapidly. I would bet that 98% of the members don't care about, nor do they want to read the trash. I use this forum to help me with my car and some have been a big help, Ron (Cuisinart) has been a big help in my build up. Others are willing to jump in and help anyone that ask.

People that come here for a visit must think we are a bunch of idiots. And don't think the other site isn't saying Guru has the problem too!

Andy you need to take you're site back. WE HAVE ALL BEEN WARNED, NOW MAKE PEOPLE VANISH!!!!!
The expertise will still be here.

Russ :pain10:
Posted on: 2008/11/24 12:10

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Josh wrote:

I agree, 100%. Like I said though, you're at an 11 and we're going to need you at about a 4. Throttle back and I think you'll make more head way.

Seems to be my problem. Got it.
Posted on: 2008/11/24 12:48

Schrade Re: Gents - Please Read This Message! Important!
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

Why? Why act like that? Just be cool and discuss it.

[yt][/yt]
Posted on: 2008/11/24 14:58

Resized Image

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

Josh wrote:

Seems to be my problem. Got it.

What have we talked about, John?

It's not all you, not at all. It takes more than one to tango and the dance is getting tiring.

I am done with this thread. It has served its purpose and I hope that it sticks.
Posted on: 2008/11/24 15:10

Topic is Locked
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.