Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
132 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Z16
Also known as the Grand Sport.

A one year special. 1000 were made to honor both the end of the C4 and the original racers, called Grand Sports, fr...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

PeteK Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I have alway liked the Grand Sports. No way in hell will I pay the price they command, considering they are just a 330 hp car, with a special serial number, a stipe, and a pair of slap on fender extensions.

I am thinking about picking up a 92-96 with an auto and a black interior and building a clone. If I stumble across a rough example with a shredded interior, color won't matter.
It will have plently of motor and a cage.

2 questions.
1) Does that make me a poser?
2) Does the blue paint have white as the base coat?

The search for Grand Sport 1001 begins.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 13:11

Matatk Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22804 Posts

I don't think it makes you a poser. If that's the case, every single guy in the world who has fender stripes is a poser. I am more of a fan, though, of "making it your own" with maybe a different color scheme (and of course, a motor that can eat other GS's alive).

To be honest with you, I don't know if the stripe/base was painted first or second? I do know that the border around the main stripes are vinyl and you can order reproductions here:

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/store.htm#GSSTRIPEKIT

Matthew

Edit - I did find this on GS registry, Pete:

Quote:
8. Q: I've heard that all Grand Sports started out as white Corvettes. Is this true?

A: No. This is another favorite old wives tale that insists that when GM was producing the Grand Sport, they started off with an Arctic White Corvette, then masked it off and painted the non-stripe areas Admiral Blue. There is an off white, primer base below the blue but its not an Arctic White finish coat. The rumor was probably started by someone who ran their fingernail over the pinstripes on a GS and noted that it caught on the blue, not the white, hence they assumed (incorrectly) that the blue paint was applied over white. The secret is that the pinstripes are not paint at all but rather tape with two parallel colors, white and blue. GM used tape for the pinstripes (and hashmarks) because they found it too difficult to paint. Understandable since the "skunk" stripe varies in width from front to back.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 13:21

TommyT-Bone Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
2 questions.
1) Does that make me a poser?
2) Does the blue paint have white as the base coat?

1) Your a poser with or without the car.

2) Does it really matter if your making a clone?

Happy hunting.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 13:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BillH Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

A GS with a cage? No, won't be a poser. You'd only be a poser if you told someone it really was a GS.

I hate the white primer with a passion. Every stone chip on my dark colored car shows up like a beacon.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 13:39

1Fast04Vert Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Just don't put ZR1 badges on it and you will be fine.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 15:53

Durango_Boy Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I saw a C3 clone of a GS once and I was very impressed. The blue / white stripe and black rims really are quite stunning no matter which generation it's used on.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 15:55

CSS996 Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

To each their own. It is a sharp looking combo for sure. I would love to do a reverse GS. White car, blue stripe. Red hash marks and guts.

What I don't care for is hash marks and GS cloning on a ZR1.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 15:55

pianoguy Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:
I saw a C3 clone of a GS once and I was very impressed. The blue / white stripe and black rims really are quite stunning no matter which generation it's used on.

I've seen some C5 and C6 GS tributes, too, and they were great-looking cars. Go for it!
Posted on: 2009/5/25 16:32

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

biggrizzly Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Pete,

I think it would be a great project and would be more than a GS could ever be. I'd go for it.

I had the same concern before I put my stripes on my car. I thought everyone would think I was trying to make it something it isn't. However, I just like the looks of the stripes and the attention they get.

Nothing wrong with cloning as long as its not passed off as a real one.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 17:42

bogus Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Why not?

I do wonder... real GS's have manuals... why not go that way? Or are you gonna drag it?

I agree with grizzly... if you don't claim it to be a real deal, then who cares.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 18:37

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

PeteK Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Why not?

I do wonder... real GS's have manuals... why not go that way? Or are you gonna drag it?

I agree with grizzly... if you don't claim it to be a real deal, then who cares.

If the wife doesn't freak the hell out, and I do get to build this thing, the goal would be to touch a high 10 in the 1/4 without spray, and have it perfectly streetable.
After seeing what RichS went through, auto is the only way (for me) to go.
I will likely do a solid rear too.
During my 6 hour drive home, I am thinking a 91 would be a perfect donor car. Everything I have (and I have a bunch) is L-98 type stuff. 91 would give me the correct exterior, except for the small fenders.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 22:00

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Those fenders look like ass anyway. Tacked-on garbage. Not worth your money. And they cost a lot, I seem to remember reading...

Of course you will share plenty of pix of the build, right?
Posted on: 2009/5/25 22:20

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
Those fenders look like ass anyway. Tacked-on garbage. Not worth your money. And they cost a lot, I seem to remember reading...

Of course you will share plenty of pix of the build, right?

If it officially evoles from a plan to a build, I will photo document everything. I plan to do the body and paint myself, so there should be alot of "what not to do" pics, and how to fix them.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 22:38

88BlackZ51 Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Senior Guru
481 Posts

I didn't expect this from you Pete. I was under the impression that your old girl was going to get a big cubic inch motor starting with the number 4xx.

I personally wouldn't do the stripes, but that's just me. I think it only belongs on the 96 GS. The factory did it right with the car, and too many ppl do it wrong!
Posted on: 2009/5/25 23:46

tobijohn Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:

I wasn't always of that opinion but I seem to be leaning that way now. There's another way to get 315s under the rear fender wells and if you can provide the labor, it's a lot cheaper than a set of those GS flares. With a little minor machine work and using the narrower 84-87 rear spindles with the GS offset rims (50mm), the bigger tires will fit nicely. If anyone's interested, PM me with an email address and I'll send you a pdf of the original how-to article (Big Weenies) from the November 93 Vette magazine.

The first pic is an "after" shot of the mod, the second pic is a current "before" shot of mine. Both cars have the 11" 50mm offset rear rims and GY GSD3 315/35/17 tires...

Attach file:

jpg  DSC04895.jpg (227.84 KB)
112_4a1b2c8fce8bd.jpg 600X800 px

jpg  ATT00016.jpg (14.37 KB)
112_4a1b2d736a803.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2009/5/25 23:46

AIRFOIL FREE!

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
I didn't expect this from you Pete. I was under the impression that your old girl was going to get a big cubic inch motor starting with the number 4xx.

I personally wouldn't do the stripes, but that's just me. I think it only belongs on the 96 GS. The factory did it right with the car, and too many ppl do it wrong!

I have owned the 87 for 18 years now, and I promised myself I would not cut it up.

I have been looking for a GS for a while now that is priced right. They don't exist. Not in the price range I am willing to spend.

I am not a fan of C5's, so a GS clone it shall be.
I have a complete drivetrain I could install now, with an engine that begins with 4, but only ends in "06".
Time to go fast, and look good at the same time. I will do the GS exterior to be identical to a real GS, but with a black interior. Even though most of the world likes them with the red guts, I don't.
Posted on: 2009/5/25 23:55

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

tobijohn wrote:
Quote:

CSS996 wrote:

I wasn't always of that opinion but I seem to be leaning that way now. There's another way to get 315s under the rear fender wells and if you can provide the labor, it's a lot cheaper than a set of those GS flares. With a little minor machine work and using the narrower 84-87 rear spindles with the GS offset rims (50mm), the bigger tires will fit nicely. If anyone's interested, PM me with an email address and I'll send you a pdf of the original how-to article (Big Weenies) from the November 93 Vette magazine.

The first pic is an "after" shot of the mod, the second pic is a current "before" shot of mine. Both cars have the 11" 50mm offset rear rims and GY GSD3 315/35/17 tires...

Please send it to:
vrodpete@msn.com
Thanks!
Posted on: 2009/5/25 23:56

88BlackZ51 Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

I have owned the 87 for 18 years now, and I promised myself I would not cut it up.

I have been looking for a GS for a while now that is priced right. They don't exist. Not in the price range I am willing to spend.

I have a complete drivetrain I could install now, with an engine that begins with 4, but only ends in "06".
Time to go fast, and look good at the same time. I will do the GS exterior to be identical to a real GS, but with a black interior. Even though most of the world likes them with the red guts, I don't.

Gotcha. What do you mean by cut it up?

So you are going to get GS seats as well? Have you driven a 02-04 Z06. It's quite the machine. Pete, have you thought about finding one with a ZF6. I drove a 02 SS Camaro the other day with over 500rwhp, and it was an auto. It would of been more enjoyable if it was a manual tranny car. Your not old yet, nothing like rowing threw the gears!
Posted on: 2009/5/26 0:03

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:

Gotcha. What do you mean by cut it up?

So you are going to get GS seats as well? Have you driven a 02-04 Z06. It's quite the machine. Pete, have you thought about finding one with a ZF6. I drove a 02 SS Camaro the other day with over 500rwhp, and it was an auto. It would of been more enjoyable if it was a manual tranny car. Your not old yet, nothing like rowing threw the gears!

To me, putting in a rollcage, and a solid rear is cutting it up.
I know the z-06's are great cars, but I cannot stand looking at them. I almost feel like a vette "traitor", but I could never own something I could not look at with pride.

As far as a stick, I have never liked them. They break, they are expensive, and I do not enjoy rowing gears. If the donor car comes with one, all the stick parts will go on ebay.
For me, an auto is enjoyable. When I race, I drag race. And when I go, I go to win. Rowing gears is not the best way for me to achieve that. And no. I am not gay
Maybe old though.
Posted on: 2009/5/26 0:14

mseven Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
For me, an auto is enjoyable. When I race, I drag race. And when I go, I go to win. Rowing gears is not the best way for me to achieve that. And no. I am not gay
Maybe old though.

full manual autos were what I always used and believed in for consistancy...however, I'd make an exception for a liberty trans.
Posted on: 2009/5/26 3:10

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

For you guys who don't want to clone around, here are the GSR classifieds. I've been there a time or two before. Seems like there are fewer and fewer stock models around as they get older. Except of course the high dollar cars. Makes a clone seem that much more logical.

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/classifieds.htm
Posted on: 2009/5/26 3:13

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The GS is going to be uber valuable in years to come.

The clone is the best way to have the look without the guilt.

Besides, with the unique serial number scheme, they are damned near impossible to really clone.
Posted on: 2009/5/26 3:55

CentralCoaster Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I was always tempted to go for a Callaway for that bit of exclusivity, but I just couldn't see myself fully enjoying the car.

I guess if I got some used up POS neglected one, I wouldn't feel so bad about flogging it.

Plus I'd have to get rid of my 85, I can't justify having 2 cars that serve the same purpose.
Posted on: 2009/5/26 5:47

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I have the same frame of mind. If I owned a collectible car, I would either beat it up, and enjoy it, or be forced to stare at it in the garage, afraid to use it.

Andy's point of view matches mine. No guilt with a clone.

Because I have a 1 car garage, the 87 could wind up for sale. I can fit both into the budget, but not in the garage.
Posted on: 2009/5/26 11:33

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
The GS is going to be uber valuable in years to come.

The clone is the best way to have the look without the guilt.

Besides, with the unique serial number scheme, they are damned near impossible to really clone.

Although I would try to make it identical to a GS on the outside, it would clearly be a clone. I may even put "serial number 1001" on the body somewhere, so there is no confusion.
Posted on: 2009/5/26 11:36

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote: I can fit both into the budget, but not in the garage.

I wish I had a garage.
Posted on: 2009/5/26 11:38

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I think I am going to do the clone.
I am packing to move back to Pa, so my summer will be spent doing home renovations. When the weather changes in september I am going to rebuild my daughters Jr Dragster, and get it ready for a spring 2010 debut. Looks like I have about a year to find a 1991 coupe at a reasonable price.
Black interior would be nice, cheap would be nicer.
Posted on: 2009/5/30 11:32

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
For you guys who don't want to clone around, here are the GSR classifieds. I've been there a time or two before. Seems like there are fewer and fewer stock models around as they get older. Except of course the high dollar cars. Makes a clone seem that much more logical.

After looking at that link, there is no way I would buy a real one. $30,000 + for blue paint, and a 330 hp engine is rediculous.
$12,000 car with a $18,000 vin tag, in my opinion.
I could build a better car for less than 1/2 the money. And when I toss a rod, slide in the oil and smack the wall, it would hurt much less.
Posted on: 2009/5/30 11:37

anesthes Re: Got the itch for a Grand Sport
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
I am packing to move back to Pa,

Got sick of us that quick Pete ?

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/30 13:03

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:

After looking at that link, there is no way I would buy a real one. $30,000 + for blue paint, and a 330 hp engine is rediculous.
I could build a better car for less than 1/2 the money. And when I toss a rod, slide in the oil and smack the wall, it would hurt much less.

I said something similar the other day on corvette forum and I was told I was "LOLOLROTFLMAO STUPID LOLO IDIOT LOLO"

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/30 13:05

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:
I am packing to move back to Pa,

Got sick of us that quick Pete ?

-- Joe

Not at all Joe. New England is beautiful, but family illness requires I return to Pa. Other factors as well, primarily financial. Very expensive here, and because I travel for a living, it is a financial burden to be here.
I will still be back once a month or so to spend some time in the Lawrence office.
I will not miss the bullshit traffic on 93 though.
Posted on: 2009/5/30 13:21

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:

I said something similar the other day on corvette forum and I was told I was "LOLOLROTFLMAO STUPID LOLO IDIOT LOLO"

-- Joe

I made the same post on CF and said the same thing there. They can bust my balls all they want, ain't gonna change my mind. Although I am a huge fan of any vette (especially the c4) It is just a car.
I already own the drivetrain for it, so I am convinced I can build a nice one for 10K or less with 7-8K as a target budget. Ultimately, it is me I aim to please. You and I share alot of the same opinions.
Posted on: 2009/5/30 13:25

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Where in Pa?

I grew up there.
Posted on: 2009/5/30 13:27

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Where in Pa?

I grew up there.

North East
Small town of Nanticoke, just south of Wilkes-Barre.
Where are you from?
Posted on: 2009/5/30 13:35

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I grew up in Chambersburg. Did my first 2 years of college in Williamsport.
Posted on: 2009/5/30 13:48

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:

Not at all Joe. New England is beautiful, but family illness requires I return to Pa. Other factors as well, primarily financial. Very expensive here, and because I travel for a living, it is a financial burden to be here.
I will still be back once a month or so to spend some time in the Lawrence office.
I will not miss the bullshit traffic on 93 though.

'93 is BS. I actually have to take '93 to 495 every morning as I live in NH but work in middlesex county, mass. 45 minutes each direction.

Quote:

PeteK wrote:

I made the same post on CF and said the same thing there. They can bust my balls all they want, ain't gonna change my mind. Although I am a huge fan of any vette (especially the c4) It is just a car.
I already own the drivetrain for it, so I am convinced I can build a nice one for 10K or less with 7-8K as a target budget. Ultimately, it is me I aim to please. You and I share alot of the same opinions.

I love Corvettes. If I had the money (which I don't) I'd have a C5 as a daily driver, and a C3 for a weekend/track car. The C4 became a bitter end for me just because it costs so much to get it where I want it and I still wasn't happy. It's an exotic car thing. Do you really think it costs ecklers $250 to make C4 door panels, where classic industries can make door panels for an fbody for $50 ?
Paying for a name became too expensive for me.

I'm still thinking about the '67 firebird. The one I looked at a month ago is still for sale. The only thing holding me back is the builder is dead, and I'm not sure how "well" the welding job was on the 9" install and back hauled frame.

I don't know...

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/5/31 16:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

it's the price of admission for exclusivity.

For your purposes, it's pointless. For a collector of important Corvettes, it's invaluable.

For me, it's somewhere in between. I would want to have one, but I would want to drive it. I could weekend it, but that would not be practical.

If I get my dream of owning a GS, it would be because I was building a collection of important Corvettes.

I agree with Kevin... A Callaway would be cool. I have always liked the B2Ks. They are absolute torque monsters.
Posted on: 2009/5/31 19:04

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

It appears that a 1991 model year is some sort of rare, desirable, collectible car as well. They are out there is decent shape with 100k miles, and $10,000 plus asking prices.
Either I am screwed up in the head, or they are.
In this economy, for 10K, they can keep them.

It is a funny world we live in. When I sell something, supply and demand sets the price, and it always seems low to me. But when someone else is selling something, what they have is gold, and I am required to pay a premium.

They can keep them.
Looks like I may buy a shot 1984 model, and convert the exterior.
Posted on: 2009/6/6 13:50

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Wait for it.....

That interior is really going to give you away. Patience Grasshopper...
Posted on: 2009/6/6 15:31

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
Wait for it.....

That interior is really going to give you away. Patience Grasshopper...

Wait I shall. I plan to buy sometime between now, and a year from now.
Because it will be a strip/street car, with strip being primary, interior matters not. I would like to be correct on the outside only.
Posted on: 2009/6/6 15:34

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Just for grins I looked at Craigslist in Colorado Springs. Only one coupe listed. Polo, 87,000mi, auto. $8,500. Looks pretty nice. Probably too nice to respray.

Someboby somewhere has got to have one with engine and paint troubles for 5k or less.
Posted on: 2009/6/6 15:40

Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

I did the exterior swap. wasn't too bad.

Interior swap though.. screw that. I had all the parts, but bailed. Electrical sucks.

The '90+ dash looks nice. The electrical is a joke. The whole CCM thing is GM's way of saying "f you" to the owner. Considering the fact that the odometer won't work without it, your pretty much screwed.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/6/6 19:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, short of an entire 1990+ harness and committing to it, there is no easy fix.
Posted on: 2009/6/6 20:00

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.