Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
282 user(s) are online (240 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Mirrors
Side mirrors: both should move in all directions.

A little whirring from the motor is normal....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

jhammons01 Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

No silly mods to the fans...no fancy snake oil water wetter...and on a 90° summer day

First picture is driving in city traffic, Then I got on the freeway and took the second pic.

I have a 185° Thermostat in the car.....

Attach file:

jpg  Exhaust 011.jpg (81.77 KB)
798_4a4b88b8d68d6.jpg 640X427 px

jpg  Exhaust 018.jpg (95.07 KB)
798_4a4b88d147902.jpg 640X427 px
Posted on: 2009/7/1 16:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jhammons01 Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

And yes the fuel average changed...the reason is my battery is trying to die on me after sitting dormant in the garage for 6 weeks. I had to have it jumped just a few minutes prior to taking these photos.

Maybe the battery will come back...maybe not, I'll see over the next couple of days.
Posted on: 2009/7/1 16:07

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

My coolant system is completely stock. I replaced the water pump, thermostat and radiator with NEW components last summer.

I cleaned out between the condenser and radiator and I keep it clean by pulling the cowling off every now and again. I cut the cowling so that the holes that the hoses go through are now slots. I only need to take the ~20 screws out of the top and lift it off to see the trash in there. I use the cordless drill and a nut driver set from Target to make the screw removal a very quick process.

I've flushed my system ~6 times and yet it still turns ruddy brown within days. there must have been a sh!tload of corrosion in there. Each time I do it, I pull the over flow bottle and take it to the sink where I can clean all that rust out of the bottom.
Posted on: 2009/7/1 16:13

CentralCoaster Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'll post up pics of my air dam and debris screen next week. Its the only way to keep the radiator clean. I also trimmed slots in the upper shroud so it could be removed easily without disconnecting rad hoses or trans and AC lines.
Posted on: 2009/7/1 16:26

pianoguy Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I installed a debris screen while my car was sitting around collecting dust, too.
Posted on: 2009/7/1 16:32

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I'll post up pics of my air dam and debris screen

I like that debris screen...I've seen pics already...I also heard it works for deterring small rodents from getting in....
Posted on: 2009/7/1 16:38

1Fast04Vert Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Those are good temps. Did you have the AC on in the first picture?
Posted on: 2009/7/1 17:02

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

yup..
Posted on: 2009/7/1 17:03

rayquayle Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Senior Guru
139 Posts

Is your Oil Pressure Sensor disconnected?
Posted on: 2009/7/1 17:25
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

ya know, me and Bogus went round and round about that......and then I decided to ignore him about it.....

When I had the "bad" oil leak, that gauge would definitely let me know when I was low...however, when I have it full of oil it goes straight to 80...and stays there.

So maybe it is malfunctioning, I'm not sure and I have not gotten to it just yet.

It's like the Back up lights not working really well....Rather than crawl under there and address that single switch....Wisely, I just waited for the tranny to go out....while I was rebuilding the Super T10, the back up light switch got some attention...problem solved.

Using this logic, I'll wait for the motor to go south at which time I'll take a peak at the oil sensor sending unit...

*Edit*
I need to add that Bogus is correct about the oil pressure gauge malfunctioning.....
Posted on: 2009/7/1 17:32

Josh Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

My oil pressure sender does the same thing. It started as only an ocassinal problem. Most of the time it would read the PSI correctly (or what I assume is correct) then it would tweak out and peg itself at 80 PSI for a few seconds. Now, it either reads zero or 80, it's lost it's ability to find anything inbetween.

My cooling system is also stock. I don't have any cooling problems, even with the partial fill on the block and the stroker motor.
Posted on: 2009/7/2 12:30

LT4BUD Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Guru
52 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
Those are good temps. Did you have the AC on in the first picture?

Operating at 179 degrees with a 185 degree thermostat does not seem to be a good temp???????????????????????
Posted on: 2009/7/2 13:04

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^Who is to say that the Stat closes exactly at 185°??? No one calibrates those things.

I do know that I had a lower temp Stat in there at one time and on cool days (~60°) the temps would drop into the 150s on the freeway.....the overdrive kicks out at exactly 159°. It is an frightening moment when your car, seemingly for no reason, downshifts on you. If you are not expecting it, you may need to clean your trousers.

So I am grateful that the stat is doing it's job. And who knows, with my limited I.Q. I may have put a 180° stat in there and forgot.
Posted on: 2009/7/2 14:25

apeacefulstorm Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Guru
Huntsville, Alabama
147 Posts

I am wondering if its not time for me to get a new radiator.... last week the average temp was about 95 degrees, heat index over hundred and with the a/c on my coolant temps were 220+.....got up to 235 degrees once or twice... with the a/c it stayed around 228..... one day the temperature outside was 100 and the coolant temp stayed in the 220 to 230 range... what do you all think?
Posted on: 2009/7/3 2:58

BillH Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

apeacefulstorm wrote:
I am wondering if its not time for me to get a new radiator.... last week the average temp was about 95 degrees, heat index over hundred and with the a/c on my coolant temps were 220+.....got up to 235 degrees once or twice... with the a/c it stayed around 228..... one day the temperature outside was 100 and the coolant temp stayed in the 220 to 230 range... what do you all think?

Depends, we need to know if you're done the maintainence.

Has it been flushed including pulling the knock sensors?
Is the area between the radiator & condenser clean? Note, some guys who get asked this just look in thru the grill opening not between. Then later they finally get it and look in to see it packed full of leaves.
Are any of the hoses really soft? Old ones can collapse internally and still look OK on the outside.
Is the thermostat opening? You can check by holding on to the hose, if it gets hot around 180, it's opening.
All the above is inexpensive to do.

If you've all this, fine. But, I'd have the radiator flow tested before I spent the money.

A properly mainained, stock LT1 will run all day 100 degree temps at 192 to 196 with/without a/c.
Posted on: 2009/7/3 3:27

CFI-EFI Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
My coolant system is completely stock. I replaced the water pump, thermostat and radiator with NEW components last summer.

"Completely stock" would include a 195° thermostat that would only allow a temp of 179°, as pictured, during warm up or cool down. I use a 180° thermostat and altered fan on and off temps. I really should change back to a 195° stat so it will run at warmer temps. Mine will run that hot in bumper to bumper city traffic or sitting still idling. My fan comes in at 206° and the temps drop to 196° where the fan shuts off. The water pump was replaced with a stock replacement back in the 80s or more likely the 90s. My radiator has the factory installed core. On occasion, especially when my track didn't allow antifreeze, I used Water Wetter for the water pump lubricant and rust inhibitor package. Other than that, green antifreeze and tap water. I have tried to flush and maintain it fairly regularly.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/7/3 14:57

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

OK you got me on the Stat.....I've told you before that I am not too smart.

Anyway, I will scold you on the Tap water thing. You need to get jugs of distilled water from the grocery store and use it. You've created a de facto electrolysis system in your cooling system....metal particulate is being dissolved into the coolant as we speak....

Quote:
Electroplating
Main article: Electroplating

In electroplating, an ionic metal is supplied with electrons to form a non-ionic coating on a substrate. A common system involves a chemical solution with the ionic form of the metal, an anode (positively charged) which may consist of the metal being plated (a soluble anode) or an insoluble anode (usually carbon, platinum, titanium, lead, or steel), and finally, a cathode (negatively charged) where electrons are supplied to produce a film of non-ionic metal.

Water itself will not conduct, it is the particulate present in the water that is conductive.......solution.....remove the particulate.

Here is a good article that states that "grounding" is the cure.

http://www.search-autoparts.com/searc ... ticleDetail.jsp?id=154932
Posted on: 2009/7/3 15:22

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I agree with the tap water thing, the water here is hard as a rock. Besides distilled is like $0.98 a gallon.
Posted on: 2009/7/3 18:51

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

So the idea behind distilled water is that it is particulate free?

It seems to me like the chances of your cooling system being particulate free are almost nil. You said that your coolant is brown from rust, there's a ton of particles in the coolant if it's changing color. I doubt, that on a molecular level, you will ever get all that out of your cooling system.

Wouldn't the rust particles defeat the purpose of the distilled water?
Posted on: 2009/7/4 16:20

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^yup so why start off bad??

Why start by pouring minerals into the system...let it get it's own...

If the system had never had tap water...and never been allowed to rust up to begin with....then you could even 24 years later open the cap and it be nice and clear and green.
Posted on: 2009/7/4 18:12

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
OK you got me on the Stat.....I've told you before that I am not too smart.

Anyway, I will scold you on the Tap water thing. You need to get jugs of distilled water from the grocery store and use it. You've created a de facto electrolysis system in your cooling system....metal particulate is being dissolved into the coolant as we speak....

Scold all you want. YOU have replaced your radiator. I haven't. The proof is in the...

I don't recommend water that is heavy with minerals. The clean, clear, odor free, tasteless, tap water where I live seems appropriate for cooling systems. Distilled water has no, or few, ions. It will be hungry for ions and the ions will come from your radiator. I use a lot of water when I flush my cooling system. My reasons for not using distilled water have nothing to do with cost. Convenience and need are the bigger factors. If I thought there was much to be gained by using distilled water, I would. My coolant, with or without antifreeze, has never been brown. Ions, no ions, minerals, no minerals, etc. theories make great conversation. I don't care about the argument. My car runs as cool, if not cooler, than it should with a 26 year old radiator. Scold me, beat me, whip me, then tell me what I would have gained using distilled water? A brighter smile?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/7/5 18:03

Durango_Boy Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Is the stock C4 radiator a C/B or aluminum radiator?
Posted on: 2009/7/5 19:43

bogus Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

aluminum with plastic side tanks.
Posted on: 2009/7/5 20:30

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

LOL...And there is a reason I had to replace that radiator and have brown nasty water.

The part about water absorbing the surrounding minerals is correct......Hence do not drink the stuff

Heard the story about the Lab technician that was getting sicker and sicker?? 6-8 months of test netted no diagnoses.

every morning He would clock and then proceed to make himself a pot of coffee with the "filtered" water rather than the nasty Tap. Guess what that Deionized water was doing to him as it ran through his body???

Anyway, if you feel your water is ok....then ok...but I'd just
Posted on: 2009/7/5 20:56

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

CFI, if your stock radiator (and heater core?) are still alive and well, its due to regular maintenance and coolant changes. Some of us 2nd, 3rd, 10th owners aren't so lucky. Fresh antifreeze will prevent the electrolysis from occuring and keep those mineral deposits from forming, but it still isn't as good as distilled. Yes the distilled will slowly leach the metals in your system, but IMO its still better than then using tap water. Either way, never use soft water, its like battery acid for your radiator. Water is one of the nastiest chemicals on the face of the Earth, so you can't win, but it happens to work damn good at carrying thermal energy.
Posted on: 2009/7/5 23:16

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^just ask the Aliens on "Signs"

"Swing away Merrill"
Posted on: 2009/7/6 0:13

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
LOL...And there is a reason I had to replace that radiator and have brown nasty water.
Possibly the city water where you live isn't suitable of cooling systems. Or perhaps you don't have municipal water available to you. As I said, I have never had have brown nasty water in my cooling system.

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:The part about water absorbing the surrounding minerals is correct......Hence do not drink the stuff

WHAT???

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:Heard the story about the Lab technician that was getting sicker and sicker?? 6-8 months of test netted no diagnoses.

every morning He would clock and then proceed to make himself a pot of coffee with the "filtered" water rather than the nasty Tap. Guess what that Deionized water was doing to him as it ran through his body???

So on one hand you say, "Hence do not drink the stuff", and then you say, "Guess what that Deionized water was doing to him as it ran through his body???"

I guess the point you are making is don't drink water???

Whatever works for you.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/7/6 20:59

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Drinking distilled water will leach minerals from your body. Over time that can give you some unhealthy side effects.
Posted on: 2009/7/7 0:22

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

CFI-EFI wrote:

I guess the point you are making is don't drink water???

Whatever works for you.

RACE ON!!!

Aye Chihuahua.......

don't drink Deionized or Distilled water......which also in line with what you said.....

Water wants to absorb and return to a state of contamination....So if you introduce water that is devoid of minerals into your body...guess what it will do?? take the needed minerals from your body leaving you sick.

EVERYONES tap water is full of Iron, minerals and salts.....this is true whether you believe it or not. The Parts Per Million are really high. And that is normal. Water running down a mountain stream in the Colorado Rockies is full of Normal contamination.

So yes don't drink water....distilled or deionized water.
Posted on: 2009/7/7 0:34

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

CFI-EFI wrote:
Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Possibly the city water where you live isn't suitable of cooling systems. Or perhaps you don't have municipal water available to you. As I said, I have never had have brown nasty water in my cooling system.

I have no way of knowing...I think it was three years ago this Summer I got the car. So whatever was introduced was out of my hands.

There is a reason however that there is rust...there is a reason that the heater didn't even try to work when I got it. There is a reason the Water pump went south at 85k miles and why the rusty radiator split open in well below normal running temps of Southern California.
Posted on: 2009/7/7 0:41

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I've had mine for 7 years now and changed everything in the cooling system but the block and the heater core and I do the coolant about annually and still get rusty fluid.

Just think, if the block has 1/8" of rust jelly on all coolant surfaces, you'll never get that shit out with a little bottle of coolant flush.

Numerous times I've blasted the block out with hose pressure, which helps, but well, I've seen first hand what unprotected cast iron does when water sits in it for years at a time. The water literally turns into dark red or black mud. Take off one layer and you'll still have a bunch more left over.
Posted on: 2009/7/7 0:48

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
CFI, if your stock radiator (and heater core?) are still alive and well, its due to regular maintenance and coolant changes. Some of us 2nd, 3rd, 10th owners aren't so lucky.

That is an excellent point.

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Drinking distilled water will leach minerals from your body. Over time that can give you some unhealthy side effects.

What about your cooling system?

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Water wants to absorb and return to a state of contamination....So if you introduce water that is devoid of minerals into your body...guess what it will do?? take the needed minerals from your body leaving you sick.

And holes in your radiator.

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:EVERYONES tap water is full of Iron, minerals and salts.....this is true whether you believe it or not. The Parts Per Million are really high. And that is normal. Water running down a mountain stream in the Colorado Rockies is full of Normal contamination.

So yes don't drink water....distilled or deionized water.

No argument about the contamination. However, some water has more minerals than others. Well water is more likely to have dissolved mineral than rain or lake water.

When you first posted, "Hence do not drink the stuff" I misunderstood and thought that you were referring to tap water.

It is almost as if you believe distilled or deionized water would have prevented your brown coolant and saved you from buying a radiator. I have never used distilled or deionized water and I never seen brown coolant in my car. I think regular preventive maintenance is more important than using either. The only proof I have is a cool engine and a 26 year old radiator.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/7/8 0:50

Durango_Boy Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

If I'm flushing an engine in a car that's very dirty and has a lot of crap and sediment I will use this procedure.

First I disconnect the radiator vie the upper and lower hoses and drain the engine completely using the side plugs and a little water to flush the coolant out. I will use a dummy lower hose, tied u, and above the top of the engine level. Disconnect and tie up the heater hoses so they are above the top of the engine level.

Then I will fill the engine block with plain white vinegar. Fill it till it pukes out the water neck...the whole engine should be full of vinegar. This will eat at any scaling that's on the inside walls of the block and it'll loosen most of the rust sediment layers.

After two days I will drain and flush with watch...back flushing is also a very helpful tool so the flushing water is flowing opposite of the normal coolant flow.

Back flush the radiator, then reconnect all the hoses, replacing any old and worn hoses if needed.

Fill with preferred mixture of distilled water and coolant, and in hot areas...a bottle of Wetter. I use a mixture of 75% water, 24% coolant, and TWO bottles of Wetter.
Posted on: 2009/7/8 1:01

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

CFI,

Peak recommends distilled, Prestone uses distilled in their pre-mix, as do others I'm sure.

Dissolved solids will deteriorate the coolant faster and leave debris in the radiator. I contend it will ruin your system way before distilled water will.

Regular maintenance is almost always more important than what fluid/oil/lube you use. But to even suggest not recommending distilled water is stupid. Especially when it costs $1 per gallon at the grocery store.

Anyways WISE GUY with the perfect maintenance record and original radiator, why don't you tell us about your heater core that leaked?

I'm not going to let you join my "original heater core" club.
Posted on: 2009/7/8 16:34

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^oh no he di'int......
Posted on: 2009/7/8 17:04

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Really, distilled water? Seriously, we're going to fight about distilled water?

I guess if we have to choose sides, I'll take tap water. Not introducing minerals into the system by using distilled water sounds great in theory, but I just can't see a system on cars as old as ours not having loose minerals and other debris in the cooling system. I see using distilled water like fixing the leaky faucet on the Titanic, it's not going to make a difference.
Posted on: 2009/7/8 17:36

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^It is particularly more important on older cars.

And you are forgetting the Electrolysis factor. It's not just the water pulling minerals from your motor....rather the "conductivity of the water" increases with contamination.

Now you've read my earlier post yet overlooked the part about that DC power supply and Anodes and cathodes...

How do we chrome plate things??

You can dissolve metals using Electrolysis just as you can coat metals with Electrolysis...you merely need the current going in the correct direction. Now go back and rethink all the times you heard of a head Gasket prematurely failing....last I looked they had a thin piece of Aluminum sandwiched in between two pieces of graphite sheet and cut to fit. Add a current to Iron filled water and wala!! you just created a Electrolysis tank made for dissolving aluminum.

This particularly produced these results when they put alloy and steel components together in the same cooling system with a current going through it.

So I wouldn't be so quick to poo poo the premise behind the pure water.

Side bar: In electronics manufacturing....solder paste is removed by soaking the PCB in a big bath of Iso Alcohol and Deionized water.....How does the technician check the water mix for contamination????? He uses a Fluke Multimeter.....the more the water conducts the more it is contaminated.

I know this has nothing to do with cars, but why can't we use knowledge from other industries to our advantage??
Posted on: 2009/7/8 22:13

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
CFI,

Anyways WISE GUY with the perfect maintenance record and original radiator, why don't you tell us about your heater core that leaked?

I, in no way, have a perfect maintenance record. I have been fairly good about keeping my cooling system flushed and maintained. And if it makes you feel better by my openly admitting that I have replaced my heater core, than so be it. I have.

All the speculation and theory is mostly correct. But what will testing my coolant with a Fluke Multimeter do for me? What are the real world consequences? Will all the dissolved solids deteriorate the coolant and leave debris in the radiator faster than scheduled maintenance can correct it? I am not recommending against distilled water, but I question the benefits. Especially where there is adequate maintenance. I would avoid local tap water that has a lot of minerals, and I agree with the comment made about softened water.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/7/9 15:02

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

^^Well understand, I'm mostly worried about deterioration of the hard components of your engine that come into contact with the coolant.

Changing the fluid in the sense of keeping the contamination build up to a minimum is one thing....but if you take out one fluid that has minerals in it and replace it with another iron permeated fluid...the dissolution of hard metals from your engine components continues on as if nothing ever happened. Phosphorous eats Aluminum by itself....add a current to that and see how quickly that process speeds up......why do you think the heater core goes so readily in our cars???

Aluminum Head engines were really an eye opener when they were introduced. Phosphorous free antifreeze became all the rage for some reason.....

To build a Electrolysis system....you need to have DC power supply and anodes and cathodes to transmit that direct current into the fluid.

Now go look at how your entire car uses the Block as the ground. A current is always (as designed) flowing through your system.
Posted on: 2009/7/9 15:41

Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Once again, while mostly technically correct, in most cases, of little practical application. Which is worse? The electrolysis enabled by water with minerals that will conduct a current or the deterioration of the metals caused by the exchange of ions?

"Phosphorous eats Aluminum by itself....add a current to that and see how quickly that process speeds up......why do you think the heater core goes so readily in our cars???"

Despite the "facts not in evidence", objection, MY heater core was brass, not aluminum.

"To build a Electrolysis system....you need to have DC power supply and anodes and cathodes to transmit that direct current into the fluid."

In our case, here, the cooling system IS the source of dc power. The dissimilar metals are the anode and cathode and the electricity conducting coolant is the electrolyte. The cooling system becomes a battery. Even with no battery in the car, voltage can be measured in the cooling system.

"Now go look at how your entire car uses the Block as the ground. A current is always (as designed) flowing through your system."

Point?

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2009/7/9 17:55

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Quote:

In our case, here, the cooling system IS the source of dc power. The dissimilar metals are the anode and cathode and the electricity conducting coolant is the electrolyte. The cooling system becomes a battery. Even with no battery in the car, voltage can be measured in the cooling system.

Is that true??

that is interesting. I'll have to study that one for a bit.

Very Cool
Posted on: 2009/7/9 18:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

All he's saying is that two dissimilar metals submersed in an electrolyte will create a small DC voltage difference (millivolts), as determined by their electromotive potential.

This is completely unrelated to the car battery or the engine being grounded or the car's electrical system.
Posted on: 2009/7/9 18:35

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Exhaust Smog pump air pipe

Attach file:

jpg  Smog Pipe 001.jpg (78.49 KB)
798_4a5cbdcc0c3c4.jpg 640X427 px

jpg  Smog Pipe 002.jpg (85.57 KB)
798_4a5cbddbae101.jpg 640X427 px
Posted on: 2009/7/14 17:18

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

So after a year or maybe more.....

Remember, The coolant was ruddy brown thick stuff when it came out.....when I bought the car, the heat didn't even work. ( think it was clogged with sediment)

I am heading to Vegas on Monday so I thought I would swap the coolant out.

over a year later here is what running Deionized water looks like

Attach file:

jpg  Radiator Water 0011.jpg (59.54 KB)
798_4bb7aae001776.jpg 448X299 px

jpg  Radiator Water 0022.jpg (55.72 KB)
798_4bb7aaf2a927e.jpg 448X299 px
Posted on: 2010/4/3 20:51

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Nice and clear....sure there is some rust in it.....you should have seen the clay like crap that came out the first time.

I like to post results rather than conjecture.
Posted on: 2010/4/3 20:55

Aboatguy Re: Coolant systems (clean and properly maintained)
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
CFI,

Peak recommends distilled, Prestone uses distilled in their pre-mix, as do others I'm sure.

Dissolved solids will deteriorate the coolant faster and leave debris in the radiator. I contend it will ruin your system way before distilled water will.

Regular maintenance is almost always more important than what fluid/oil/lube you use. But to even suggest not recommending distilled water is stupid. Especially when it costs $1 per gallon at the grocery store.

I'd like to join your original heater core club....original radiator too.

Distilled water user....
swapped ORANGE coolant (late 95 car factory fill should have been Dex)for Green back when I bought the vette...

...car still had original hoses and factory clamps back then too.
Mike
Posted on: 2010/4/3 22:25

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
I'd like to join your original heater core club....original radiator too.

Distilled water user....
swapped ORANGE coolant (late 95 car factory fill should have been Dex)for Green back when I bought the vette...

...car still had original hoses and factory clamps back then too.
Mike

Yea, distilled & green. I just lost an origional heater hose last summer 92 w/80k. Everything else is origional.
I do a 2 year flush with pulling the knock sensors. The stuff that's flushed out looks really good.
Posted on: 2010/4/3 22:34

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I'm in the club (for now)
Posted on: 2010/4/3 23:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Good timing.

My last original coolant hose finally popped, after 25 years. The heater core is still original, but every other part of the cooling system has been replaced.

The coolant was chocolate brown as always, maybe some day after the 562nd coolant flush it will come out clean.

Bought 2 gallons of Prestone and a jug of distilled water for $1.99. Damn that distilled water really did me in, I won't be able to afford Ramen for dinner now and will have to switch to a Fram oil filter to make up for the extra expense. Now I've gotta figure out how to run my rusty flush water into the gutter without the neighbors noticing.
Posted on: 2010/4/4 14:54

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

LOL......Poor it down the sink or toilet. That way it goes to the sewage treatment plant prior to directly to the ocean.

Next time, Smart and Final has the water for .79 cents each gallon.

Wal-mart has Ramen for .18 cents a package and Castrol GTX for $13 per five quart jug
Posted on: 2010/4/4 16:34

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.