Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Automatic Slip Regulation
Also known as ASR; ie traction control.

Standard on all C4s starting in 1992....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Aboatguy Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Title says it all

Which drag radials for a C4 and why?
Don't care about street wear just bang for the buck hook

For example ......Mickey Thompson Drag Radial 275 45 17 reason hook enough hard and clear rear brakes and maintain top speed stability)

Thanks.

Mike
Posted on: 2009/12/30 4:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

vetteoz Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
453 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:.Mickey Thompson Drag Radial 275 45 17 reason hook enough hard and clear rear brakes and maintain top speed stability)

MT ET Streets work for me.
Hook everytime with little if any warming.Usually only a little spin to dry the water off
Posted on: 2009/12/30 7:11

1Fast04Vert Re: Drag radials for a c4
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I have run both BFG and Nitto drag radials. I had the BFGs in 18" on C5 wide spoke wheels. They hooked up great but I just didn't care for the wheels. So when I was able to sell them for what I had invested I did and then replaced them with Nittos in 315/35/17. They also hooked up with no spinning at all. Between the two I would have to say I think the Nittos were better, primarily because they were a better street tire as well.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 13:46

BrianCunningham Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

anythings better than my autox tires

careful when you start to hook.

I'll be upgrading my stubaxles over the winter.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 14:19

flyboy Re: Drag radials for a c4
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

No wheel spin with my Nitto 555r's in 315/17. Their site warns about possible cracking in below freezing use.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 14:20

Josh Re: Drag radials for a c4
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Auto or stick?

I had the M/T drag radials on my 91 M6 and sold them because I didn't like them. On motor, they would dead hook and the engine would bog down. On the bottle, they would spin all the way through first gear. As soon as I lifted off the floor, the bottle would shut off, the tires would hook, and the car would bog down. They didn't wear like a street tire, and didn't hook like a slick. I had the negatives of both types of tires and the positives of neither.

On regular street tires I was able to drive the car to mid 1.8's using as much clutch pedal finesse and throttle control as I could muster. On the ET street radials, 1.8's were pretty much automatic, but I had to drop the clutch much harder from a much higher RPM. Basically, I had to beat on the car harder to achieve the same short times. Because of the bogging down situation, I never was able to get much more than low 1.8's out the ET street radials. I've been mid-low 1.7's on nitto's, so I wasn't happy with the MT tires at all.

The bias ply ET streets were worlds better. I can launch on the juice with little to no wheel spin. The best part about them is that if the spin, I can just stay in it and they will recover and hook. The drag radials would not recover once they started to spin.

When the ET street radial first came out, MT's website had a blurb about them that said they weren't intended for stick shift cars. Something about the tire not doing well with the instant hit/load associated with a clutch drop. That information is no longer on their website, but it was up there for the first few months the tires were available. I tend to think that the MT radials do well on automatic cars, but I shy away from them on stick shift applications.

A good friend of mine has an 87 Buick Regal with the turbo V6 in it. The car runs low 12's and dead hooks getting low 1.6 short times with the MT radials. On that car, the tires are awesome.

I have switched to the nittos on my vette. I haven't raced with them yet, but I anticipate so-so results. I've driven a friends 96 M6 C4 to mid 1.7's on nitto's, so that's about what I expect out of them on my car.

If you have an auto, I think the MT radials will be great for you. If you are stick shift, I would recommend that you bite the bullet and get another set of rims with bias ply ET streets or ET drags. If you aren't willing to change tires for drag strip duty, I would go with the nittos.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 15:39

CentralCoaster Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

All the research I did pointed to the M/T ET street radial. The consensus was they are the stickiest, 2nd would be the BFG, 3rd the Nitto. Treadwear goes in the opposite order.

So the M/T is what I bought. I think it was a 275. They fit great on my stock 84-87 z51 wheel. Got them from scoggin dickey for a good price.

I've never run them on a track that had any good track prep though. I mainly got them because the local 1/8th here is impossible to run on street tires and wanted some consistent launches for bracket racing. Best 60' was a 1.84. Bleh.

6-speed btw.
Posted on: 2009/12/30 17:01

Aboatguy Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
498 Posts

Its an auto

4L60E and a vig 3500

So for a car in the 400/400 rwhp/lbft rwt MUSTANG Dyno neighborhood are the MT Streets 275/40R17s the answer?
Is going to a smaller wheel size better 16s, 15? If smaller wheel size is better what is the $$$$ bang for the buck setup(IE Z28 wheels????)

Mike
Posted on: 2009/12/31 23:54

cuisinartvette Re: Drag radials for a c4
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

I have the M/T havent tried them out yet,at least on this car so I cant give feedback. Never cared for the BFG.Some like em some dont. Toyo has a new Proxy TQ drag radial that looks very nice, would like to try one someday. M and H are supposedly the stickiest out there with a decent (stable) sidewall it seems but I have not tried them personally only gained feedbakc from friends who have tried the others.

Interesting notes from Josh have read similar things about the stick/bias ply. Would have bitten on that but didnt want to use bias ply on the front to keep the car from wandering.
Posted on: 2010/1/1 0:35

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
I have the M/T havent tried them out yet,at least on this car so I cant give feedback. Never cared for the BFG.Some like em some dont. Toyo has a new Proxy TQ drag radial that looks very nice, would like to try one someday. M and H are supposedly the stickiest out there with a decent (stable) sidewall it seems but I have not tried them personally only gained feedbakc from friends who have tried the others.

Interesting notes from Josh have read similar things about the stick/bias ply. Would have bitten on that but didnt want to use bias ply on the front to keep the car from wandering.
I've read that the bias ply were stickier too...but having to buy fronts is limiting me to scoping out radials

Mike
Posted on: 2010/1/1 3:09

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Lots of guys run a radial up front with the bias ply slicks. I've done it for a decade or so and never had a problem.
Posted on: 2010/1/1 4:41

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

The ET street radial will hook your car, no sweat. 275-40-17, no problem.
Posted on: 2010/1/1 4:43

mseven Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

I don't see why the DOT DR (street tire) wouldn't hook any of these cars. In "Drag Radial" class guys are going 7's in the quarter using a DOT DR street tire. Many of the mustang crowd run a 275 or 305 (depending on 17 or 18 rim) here's an example of a real street car w/305/35/18(he has gone faster since the articles)
http://www.alternativeauto.com/waterbox/88gt_tropical.html
http://www.alternativeauto.com/images ... ang/mustang_milestone.png
Posted on: 2010/1/1 15:47

BeachBum Re: Drag radials for a c4
Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
Its an auto

4L60E and a vig 3500

So for a car in the 400/400 rwhp/lbft rwt MUSTANG Dyno neighborhood are the MT Streets 275/40R17s the answer?
Is going to a smaller wheel size better 16s, 15? If smaller wheel size is better what is the $$$$ bang for the buck setup(IE Z28 wheels????)

Mike

I raced a C4 for years with power similar to yours.... a bit more torque, a little less HP....BFG and Nitto drag radials just won't cut it, I went through 4 sets of BFG's and 2 sets of Nitto's.... they particuarily will not cut it if you are looking for consistency, when they spin, which is more often than a bias ply, its harder to get them out of spin, whereas the ET Street will recover much quicker. The BFG was far superior to the Nitto's, which were about useless on my application.

I will say, that despite the radial tire being a bit heavier than a bias ply, they are faster.... if you hook up on radial tires, you will run about 1 mph faster, or at least I did. This I assume has something to do with the stiffer sidewall the radial gives you. The ET Streets are definitely a bit mushier but if the track is even halfway decent, you'll hook-up hard... your mph will be down a hair, but you'll typically make up for it with an improved 60 ft time.

I wouldn't run BFG or Nitto drag radials on any motor capable of 60 foots of 1.7x or better again.

Of course, all of this is assuming a stock C4 suspension.... if you have a professional chassis suspension guy tuning your set-up.... you can get your ride to hook-up on tonka toy wheels in a pool of snot as some heads-up outlaw radial tire classes have shown us with their 7 second/200 mph timeslips.... but thats not realistic for most of us.

As a note, I have heard good things about the Hoosier drag radial, but have never run it myself....
Posted on: 2010/1/1 21:04

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Thanks for the information guys.
I'm still looking for the answer to is smaller diameter wheel better 15 vice 17 or 18?

Do F body 15s or 16s fit on the rear of a C4???

I've been checking the F body sites looking for a deal on a drag pack (probably just rears)
Thanks again

Mike
Posted on: 2010/1/3 12:36

BeachBum Re: Drag radials for a c4
Master Guru
751 Posts

Smaller rim is typically better for traction because you have more tire and sidewall.... but this can be subjective. I think those big 17" or 18" rims might be better for roadcourse type racing, with a shorter sidewall, thus added rigidity..... but, I don't know for sure. You have the best selection of drag tires with the 15" rims.

Not sure if F-body rims fit or not, but BFG, Nitto & MT ET Streets all have a drag tire for the stock 84-87 16" C4 rim.....in fact, those C4 rims are really nice.... basically the same weight as a Weld Draglite 16" XP rim and they of course fit the C4's perfectly. There are two different rims, I think one is a 8.5" the other is 9.5".... get the latter. I have seen on occasion C4 rims for sale at ebay typically for $ 100 and even less per rim.

The BFG tire is the 255 50R16
The Nitto is the 245 selection
The MT ET Street is the 26 x 11.5 x 16 (I recommend this tire)

good luck !
Posted on: 2010/1/3 18:27

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1

dan0617 Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I ran a pair of 275 40 17 Nitto 555R drag radials for a season and a half. They would dead hook at the track with a good heat up and cut 1.60 60' times. They last pretty good on the street but need heated up hook real good on the street. Wouldn't dead hook on street but very close after a big burnout. Tires handle great.

I went to M/T ET Street Radials. Cut mid 1.5 60' times with just a slight heat up at the track. After a 10 minute drive they are hot enough to launch with nearly a dead hook on the street. If I spin them just a little they will dead hook on the street. They definiely hook better than the nittos but aren't lasting as long. Tires handle good but back end feels a little gummier than with street tires or nittos. Not much, just a little. I'm very happy with these tires.

I nearly went with the M/T ET Street bias ply tires. Some good advice on this forum pointed me towards the street radials. Now, after riding in my buddy's supercharged cobra on the bias ply M/T's, I'm glad I made that decision. His car is nearly hazardous at higher speeds on the street, back end is very wishy-washy for lack of a better term.

My car is a bone stock suspension with just the front sway bar removed and the rear alignment set to 1.5 degrees positive camber.

As a side note, the D36 worked with the Nittos for a long time. About 7 passes with the M/T street radials and it is clunking bad when going around a turn and is whining on the interstate. The M/T's are sticky tires. If you are running a D36 I would go with the Nittos, they will max it out. Going to a D44, go with the ET Street Radials. Track only tires, go with the ET Street bias ply's.
Posted on: 2010/1/6 1:15

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
I ran a pair of 275 40 17 Nitto 555R drag radials for a season and a half. They would dead hook at the track with a good heat up and cut 1.60 60' times. They last pretty good on the street but need heated up hook real good on the street. Wouldn't dead hook on street but very close after a big burnout. Tires handle great.

I went to M/T ET Street Radials. Cut mid 1.5 60' times with just a slight heat up at the track. After a 10 minute drive they are hot enough to launch with nearly a dead hook on the street. If I spin them just a little they will dead hook on the street. They definiely hook better than the nittos but aren't lasting as long. Tires handle good but back end feels a little gummier than with street tires or nittos. Not much, just a little. I'm very happy with these tires.

I nearly went with the M/T ET Street bias ply tires. Some good advice on this forum pointed me towards the street radials. Now, after riding in my buddy's supercharged cobra on the bias ply M/T's, I'm glad I made that decision. His car is nearly hazardous at higher speeds on the street, back end is very wishy-washy for lack of a better term.

My car is a bone stock suspension with just the front sway bar removed and the rear alignment set to 1.5 degrees positive camber.

As a side note, the D36 worked with the Nittos for a long time. About 7 passes with the M/T street radials and it is clunking bad when going around a turn and is whining on the interstate. The M/T's are sticky tires. If you are running a D36 I would go with the Nittos, they will max it out. Going to a D44, go with the ET Street Radials. Track only tires, go with the ET Street bias ply's.

I've been on a D44 for at least 4 years now. Looks like I picked up some Hoosier 275 40 R17 on factory ZO6 wheels.
Posted on: 2010/1/6 23:26

Weavsvet Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
446 Posts

Just curious, how many of you guys run drag radials on the street? Like, all the time?
Posted on: 2010/2/1 22:53

pr0zac Re: Drag radials for a c4
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i ran 28x11.5-16 bias et streets on my camaro.. under 50 it was fine. but running it out it would sway with lower tire pressure. i swapped to nitto 555 in a 245/50-16 and it was much better to drive around on the only problem is that it wasn't enough tire. if i was to spin in first it would chirp second and recover from there. that was with a 700r4, 4.57 gears spooled and a 4000 stall. but i could easily blow the tires over even rolling the throttle, once the converter hit it was over.
Posted on: 2010/2/1 23:50

dan0617 Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

I ran Nitto 555r's for a season on the street, they were great. I now run MT ET Street radials, they are even stickier and still handle good. Gotta be going about 90 before I notice they aren't a normal street tire but they still don't sway or anything, just feel soft at high speed. Drag radials will throw stones on a gravel lane much more than a street tire, consider mud flaps and going slow on gravel roads.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 14:34

biggrizzly Re: Drag radials for a c4
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Is there any final consensus as to what is the best diameter wheel for use on the C4? Seems like there are too many variables and opinions to narrow it down easily.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 14:39

BrianCunningham Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:
Just curious, how many of you guys run drag radials on the street? Like, all the time?

I wouldn't for a DD

DR are real soft and the tread goes away fast

If there's going to be a lot of rain I wouldn't want to be out on them
Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:34

Weavsvet Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
446 Posts

I probably should had started my own thread. I apologize Mike.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:11
1996 Corvette Coupe,AFR 195 street Eliminators,Edelbrock LT4 Air Gap intake manifold,9.5" 2800 stall,TPIS LT headers,Bullet 226/230.565.565/111 lsa cam,1.7 Scorpion rr's,EWP, X Pipe, Stock Exhaust,Elec.Cutouts,Dana 44/3.45, Tune by Wester's Garage

pr0zac Re: Drag radials for a c4
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Is there any final consensus as to what is the best diameter wheel for use on the C4? Seems like there are too many variables and opinions to narrow it down easily.

tire diameter would be have to be based off of gears and where your motor peaks.
Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:24

rklessdriver Re: Drag radials for a c4
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I'm driving the 92 on 315-35R17 MT Drag Radials everyday (that I drive the car)... Which is more like one or two days a week weather permitting.

I did get caught in a downpour late last summer with them and from what I rember they did pretty good with normal driving under 50mph. I did try and push the speed over 50 a few times and the car wanted to hydroplane. We are talking a bunch of water on the road thou.

I've got about 1000 miles on them so too soon to tell about tire wear - but with a car like mine tire wear is the least of my concerns.

I also have a set of Hoosier 335's that I had on the car briefly last year. Only put a few miles before we pulled the motor backapart so I really don't have any extended driving data on them.

Summer is comming thou and I do plan to test them back to back at the track...
Will
Posted on: 2010/2/2 22:50

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

cuisinartvette Re: Drag radials for a c4
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

M/Ts are the only tire going on the rear full time.

If you have a ton of power and are running around on street tires youre just asking for problems ie wrecking it if you get into the throttle on a reg basis. Id rather replace tires a little more often than the car because I was too cheap to get the right tire. I only paid $130 ea,not much more than a reg street radial.
Posted on: 2010/2/3 1:57

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

Weavsvet wrote:
I probably should had started my own thread. I apologize Mike.

Mike,

No worries, IMO your question was inline with the intent of this thread.

Mike
Posted on: 2010/2/7 3:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.