Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
282 user(s) are online (224 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Interior Lights
There is one in each door. On the 1984-1989 C4s, the door lights can be turned on and off by pressing them.

There are lights under each knee bols...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

bogus The Price
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have been doing some math and rather like the outcome.

Economics is, when it comes right down to it, about choices. There are good and bad, but short of really stupid, there are no wrong answers.

The right answer is always what fits your goals and what doesn't negatively effect your own cash flow.

With all of that said, I made the conscious decision to clean up my 92 vs replace it.

The cost of replacement was the sticking point. The Vette I would get is a newer C6. And the best $$ point for one of those is in the $25k-$35k range. And newer equals payments. Top all of that off with the added insurance (about $300 a year) and an exponential increase in my annual registration fee (from a nominal $80 a year to $600!), it wasn't where I wanted our money to go.

If we were to buy anything automotive, it would be mutually beneficial. A Vette for me wouldn't be mutually beneficial, no matter how its cut.

Back to the math. Over the last 12 months, I have put quite a bit of money - and time - into my Vette.

The totals:

Wheels/Tires - $1500
Engine out + clutch (last summer project!) - $2000
Paint - $2000
Total - $5500

Now... a bit of a break down, especially the engine out + clutch.

Flywheel - $950
Clutch - $300
Seals/gaskets - $100
DynaSpark - $500
Taylor Wires + NGK plugs - $100
Fluids - $50
Total - $2000

Now, I suspect I am forgetting something there, but those are the big items.

I could also add in the major repair from January 09 when the belt exploded, taking out my LTCC harness. That added another $500 to the mix.

All in all, it was money well spent, in my opinion. It has renewed the car and will make it look nice for a few years to come. At the same time, I have saved a C4 from the indignities of aging out. When I go to the shows, the number of C5s and C6s is just astounding, so keeping a C4 on the road is always a good thing!
Posted on: 2010/5/9 19:02

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Durango_Boy Re: The Price
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I love the work you did and totally appreciate why.

That being said, I will own a C6, and THAT being said, I have no intentions of EVER taking it to a show unless there is something special about it, or unless it's a classic in 20 years.

I just hate the fact that a new off the show room floor C6 with NO mods at all will beat out a project car that some enthusiast has invested thousands of dollars and hours into building...like a C4.
Posted on: 2010/5/9 20:08

DaleD Re: The Price
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I've often listed that as an advantage of having a C4. As far as I'm concerned almost any old car is cool. Keeping an old car nice requires serious effort. That's why when people go nuts about C4's not being as fast as C5's or C6's, I think they miss the point.

A new C6 is just a new car. A very, very cool new car, but a new car. It hasn't acquired it's soul yet.
Posted on: 2010/5/9 21:23

BillH Re: The Price
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I have been doing some math and rather like the outcome.

All in all, it was money well spent, in my opinion. It has renewed the car and will make it look nice for a few years to come. At the same time, I have saved a C4 from the indignities of aging out. When I go to the shows, the number of C5s and C6s is just astounding, so keeping a C4 on the road is always a good thing!

I definately agree.

The math, well I prefer to take the amount of money and divide it by the number of years I've driven the car. Makes the numbers a little easier to take.
I also leave out maintainence items, plugs/wire,tires,battery.
For my 92, an opti,alternator and some gaskets. Under $700 for 5 years = $140/year, not too shabby.

Your $5k is good for what? 10 years? So $500/year, not bad.
Posted on: 2010/5/9 21:43

bogus Re: The Price
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

That being said, I will own a C6, and THAT being said, I have no intentions of EVER taking it to a show unless there is something special about it, or unless it's a classic in 20 years.

I just hate the fact that a new off the show room floor C6 with NO mods at all will beat out a project car that some enthusiast has invested thousands of dollars and hours into building...like a C4.

My gripe is with the checkbook hotrodder... the one who buys the new car then tosses another $20k wirth of mods on it. Then taking it to car shows and hoping to blind the fans with bling.

Cars like that envaribly win Peoples Choice - they are so loud that the average person can't see the problem for all the bling.
Posted on: 2010/5/9 22:49

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Andy, you & DB stop up here for Hot August Nights, ain't no damn new cars in that show.
Posted on: 2010/5/9 23:04

TommyT-Bone Re: The Price
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

Sometimes friends bring up your shortcomings and that brings needed repairs to the forefront. Right Andy. But they are right. I've put off painting my 90 for years. It ran pretty good the first few years without much outlay but gradually some things needed attention. I'm not a wrench. I play with some of the easier stuff but leave the harder stuff to thiose in the know. But really, that car has treated me well. Repalaced the leather on the seats,$1000, new exhaust $650, tires $850, plugs, wires, egr valve x 2 , brake booster, slave cylinder, injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, cluster rebuild. The 90 6 speed is a joy to drive and the fact that it doesn't feel like a new car is a plus. It feels like a performance car. Seat of the pants driving machine. No, it's not a killer on the 1/8th mile in it's stock format, I didn't take home any trophies from the autocross or cruise in car shows.
My red one, now that it has it's new injectors, can give a new stock C6 a run for it's money. Course it's sporting a supercharged 383. That sucka runs like a scalded dog compared to the stock L98. It has a new top, new leather seat covers, got new wheels and tires a couple of years ago, new injectors, plugs, wires, brake pads. It has some need for paint work too on the nose and tail. probably a whole new paint job or ghost flames would be a cheaper way out. That thing is a blast to lay into. You better be paying attention or it will get away from you. I own C4s because I like C4s. Believe it or not, I can own just about any generation Corvette I want.
I've known a lot of you guys for a few years now and if you tell me you bought a Camaro, Mustang or an EVO I wouldn't put you down, Get what you like and drive that mofo.
Anyway Andy, I'm glad your still a C4 guy. Somebody has to do it. Might as well be you.
Posted on: 2010/5/9 23:38

Ultraman Re: The Price
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14751 Posts

My C4 is something I can work on myself. My initial investment is low so I with kids in college can have an affordable performance car. I like what Dale says about the new cars having no soul yet. I get attached to a machine, I put hours of time working on it making it better and I am proud of the way it looks and runs.

I am not saying that my bucket list does not include picking up a future new GS or whatever the hot Vette is at Bowling Green and driving it home. That would be special for me and I would keep that car for as long as I live and then it would go to my son and some day it would also have soul and maybe a lot of meaning for those who inherited it.

All of our C4's started out as someones dream and they were excited when they picked it up and after awhile they moved on to the next dream. I grew up when all the C2's were brand new and to get a newer car ment faster and better. My C4 is the best handling and put together Vette that I have owned. A new C6 should be that much more refinement and so on it goes. If any of us won the powerball you know most of us would have a new ZR1 ordered and a Ferrari and a.....

The C4's have got me back into Corvettes and that has been good. I like what Andy is saying.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 0:24

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

biggrizzly Re: The Price
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I should have read this thread before commenting on the opportunity to buy a 2003 Anniversary Convertible.

You guys are exactly correct and that is why buying another newer Corvette is not what will make me happy. My best friend owns a new Z06 and it is so awesome, but I can never afford one of those cars, not now and not in the near future. What I can do, is continue to keep my old girl going. If I bought even a five year old Vette I'd have to finance it and then I'd never be able to mod it, because I'm paying for it first.

So, I will be happy to stay with my C4 that I have made very personally mine over the past ten years.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 2:10

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It's nice that we are having this discussion.

I have been convinced for some years now that things won't make you happy for the sake of having things.

If you want something, it must satisfy a bigger need. I wonder about these folks that buy the newest thing and then throw a ton of cash at it (as stated above).

I get a lot more satisfaction by improving the old and making it better than before. And I have the cuts and aches to prove I did it myself!

I just got done doing an oil change. It was much needed, considering I haven't touched it since I put it all together last August! That means that in 8 months and about 4500 miles it has lost/burned 1/2 quart. The level was half way down the add area. There is a bit of weaping at the front main...

I also fixed a minor exhaust leak... the collectors were a bit lose.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 4:13

Matatk Re: The Price
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Well, I have to say that I love driving my car. I'd probably love driving a 2008, too, but driving my car always makes me feel better. I just spent a buttload on the new engine and transmission, more than I wanted to but oh well. I don't plan on getting rid of it ever, or if not for a long time. I'll continue to work on the small things that bother me until I have it where I want it. If I bought a new one, I'd just have to start all over!

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/5/10 11:23

flyboy Re: The Price
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

I didn't have a hobby car for a couple of years.
Then I purchased my '91 in 03-07.
It has been a three year love affair.
The cost of upkeep/upgrade is irrelevant.
C4ever.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 12:20

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

I just got done doing an oil change. It was much needed, considering I haven't touched it since I put it all together last August! That means that in 8 months and about 4500 miles it has lost/burned 1/2 quart. The level was half way down the add area. There is a bit of weaping at the front main....

If it was me I'd wait till it was crying .......
Posted on: 2010/5/10 14:40

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Funny, Tommy...

The front and rear mains have a tendency to weap a little oil no matter what...

Trust me, I am not replacing either seal at this point! The transmission, tho dusty, was dry! Same with the exhaust.

In short, the undercarrage looked GREAT!
Posted on: 2010/5/10 15:05

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

The front and rear mains have a tendency to weap a little oil no matter what...

Gotta respectfully disagree, Andy.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 15:12

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hm... never seen a really dry one... what am I doing wrong with install?
Posted on: 2010/5/10 15:23

BrianCunningham Re: The Price
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I used to own a '70 Challenger RT/SE with a 383mag

to this day I regret selling that car

I'm not making that mistake again
Posted on: 2010/5/10 17:14

jdtireman Re: The Price
Senior Guru
Winnipeg
176 Posts

Quote:

Durango_Boy wrote:

I love my 93 and it gets more respect from the average looky loo on cruize nights than even I give it. I guess we take for granted what we have sometimes. You all know what I mean. But like DB, I will get a C6 in the next 3 to 5 years, as soon as I have the $$, storage space and find the right car. I like the idea of buying and keeping a C6 until it's a classic that some futur grandson will drool over. Right now I'm thinking a GS or a ZHZ, supercharged of course

Keep the shiny side up!
Posted on: 2010/5/10 17:19

CentralCoaster Re: The Price
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'm all for keeping an old car on the road, but it seems like all my stuff gets shittier by the year, despite all the time I put into it.

Probably 75% is maintenance, 25% improvements. I guess the trick is knowing your limitations, and keeping the car looking nice. For example, I haven't gotten the car painted, and it looks like ass. This makes it somewhat depressing to own and spend time on. I have some of the tools to try painting it, but my limitations are a paintbooth and time/motivation. Had I spent $5K on that 2 years ago I would not have regretted it, and I'd feel better about doing other work on the car.

At least it doesn't rust.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 17:41

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I'm all for keeping an old car on the road, but it seems like all my stuff gets shittier by the year, despite all the time I put into it.

Probably 75% is maintenance, 25% improvements. I guess the trick is knowing your limitations, and keeping the car looking nice. For example, I haven't gotten the car painted, and it looks like ass. This makes it somewhat depressing to own and spend time on. I have some of the tools to try painting it, but my limitations are a paintbooth and time/motivation. Had I spent $5K on that 2 years ago I would not have regretted it, and I'd feel better about doing other work on the car.

At least it doesn't rust.

Never too late. Call now ..... Painters are waiting for your call.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 17:55

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
hm... never seen a really dry one... what am I doing wrong with install?

Donno, and I can't take the credit for an expert install on my rear one.
At 80k, when I pulled the oil pan, obviously the bell hsg.cover had yo come off. The back of the flywheel and the rear of the block were totally dry (I was supprised but happy).
The front was replaced 10k ago w/o pulling the front cover and had no leak when I pulled the opti the other week, so I can take credit for that one but, it's that's only 10k.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 22:10

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I have some of the tools to try painting it, but my limitations are a paintbooth and time/motivation.

Oh, the motivation to do the bodywork/sanding is almost unobtainium. It takes a month just to convince yourself that you're going to do it. A week of staring at the car thinking "I don't want to start this today".
And you still haven't picked up a piece of sandpaper, ask me how I know.
I hate bodywork.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 22:15

bobges Re: The Price
Senior Guru
Bushkill PA
254 Posts

A c-4 is a cool car, There is not a time that i have had it out and did not get a complement, even got a thumbs up from a kid in a Mustang the other day. Love driving it
Posted on: 2010/5/10 22:21

1Fast04Vert Re: The Price
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

For me the math is very simple. I have a Corvette. It has a body style I love. It has a lot of creature comforts I love. It has great speed and cornering abilities. It is paid for!! It is easy to fix if something breaks. What else do I need? Nothing.
Posted on: 2010/5/10 23:42

SpectatorRacing Re: The Price
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

We painted my buddy's C4 for $800. Of course our friend owns the body shop. We did all the prep (two guys, about 12 hours) sanded the car, taped everything, etc. We had thier pro do the painting with GM paint. Baked it in the booth, and viola, beautiful paint job. Black was the cheapest paint, red was going to be more than double. Basically we paid for the paint, some supplies, and gave the guy $100 to paint it.

The moral of the story is that you should befreind a guy with a body shop and you can save a lot of money
Posted on: 2010/5/11 14:17

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I was watching the Mecum auction from Orlando. It was a replay from January.

However, a mid-70s Vette came up and the commontater said, and I paraphrase, "this may not be the most valuable, big engined Vette made, but it will still get you into the Corvette family."

Point made.
Posted on: 2010/5/11 14:31

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I was watching the Mecum auction from Orlando. It was a replay from January.

However, a mid-70s Vette came up and the commontater said, and I paraphrase, "this may not be the most valuable, big engined Vette made, but it will still get you into the Corvette family."

Point made.

Unfortunately, due to government intervention and quirky design flaws, there have been a lot of backdoor suitors in the Corvette family.
Posted on: 2010/5/11 15:56

Ultraman Re: The Price
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14751 Posts

What doesn't make sense to me right now is the amount of lot drop the new Vettes or any car for that matter is getting hit with. I am thinking 20% or more. You have to want new real bad to pay that much and see it worth so much less in a years time. I don't see how they are selling many new Vettes at all.
Posted on: 2010/5/11 16:32

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

jdtireman Re: The Price
Senior Guru
Winnipeg
176 Posts

That built in depreciation means smart guys like us pay so much less when we buy them in 2 or 3 years... Look at Craigslist and you can find a 06 or 07 for 30k or less and new 2010 is 80K or more. How smart do you have to be to figure this stuff out?
Posted on: 2010/5/11 20:25

Matatk Re: The Price
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

jdtireman wrote:
That built in depreciation means smart guys like us pay so much less when we buy them in 2 or 3 years... Look at Craigslist and you can find a 06 or 07 for 30k or less and new 2010 is 80K or more. How smart do you have to be to figure this stuff out?

Well that 2010 for 80k is a Z06...a little bit of a difference. The base C6 is like $42k new plus taxes, but of course you can add up all the options and be over 50k.
Posted on: 2010/5/11 22:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The thing is, you won't find many Vettes on lots. Yea, there are some, but I would bet many are cancelled orders. Most Corvettes are built to order and there are a lot of folks who have scrimped, saved, planned and dreamed of that day they can order their perfect Corvette and get museum delivery.

Corvettes are not normally floorplanned, so they don't have excess inventory.

The $42k base Corvette is out there, but you have to order it! And it is a killer value.

But much of the depreciation can be related to the economy. Ppl can't afford to keep them and need to off load, so they are firesaling them. Desperation is a bitch.

I do have that dream of being able to walk into a Chevy dealer and plunking down the cash on my new ZR1, with museum delivery. It's just something that would only happen once and it would have to be special... buying a used Vette isn't on that level.
Posted on: 2010/5/12 14:14

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33764 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I do have that dream of being able to walk into a Chevy dealer and plunking down the cash on my new ZR1, with museum delivery. It's just something that would only happen once and it would have to be special... buying a used Vette isn't on that level.

I guess you must be buying tickets for the Powerball Lottery.
Posted on: 2010/5/12 14:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

I guess you must be buying tickets for the Powerball Lottery.

I am. And I'm going to do the exact same thing as Andy, with the addition of stopping by ProTeam and getting the 67 435horse shipped.
Posted on: 2010/5/12 14:59

CentralCoaster Re: The Price
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

You'll feel special right up until they hand you the keys. After that you're their bitch. You'll feel like a chump when you're battling with the service "advisor" over whats not covered by warranty, and what they f**** up while putting their best grease monkey on the job, that you have to pay to train on your car by trial and error for a week while you drive a loaner Malibu 4 cylinder (if you're lucky.)
Posted on: 2010/5/13 6:08

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will still do it myself.
Posted on: 2010/5/13 6:57

pappyfreebird Re: The Price
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i rekon im wid 95vet ..ceptin i r still lookin fer them creature comforts but mines a 84 n z51...nawt that fast nawt the coolest but its pd fer n i kin still fix a few thangs wid a lil help...
Posted on: 2010/5/13 12:01

Fluff Re: The Price
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

All my vehicles are old – 93 C4, 93 Chrysler and 89 Jeep. There’s definitely a lot of satisfaction, with the occasional frustration, in keeping them running. I guess I would like a nice new 6, but wouldn’t part with the C4 for it – all academic, I can’t afford a new motor.

Just wondering:- do any of you guys like/dislike ‘part’ of the C4 body design? I look at it sometimes and say to myself….. I like the look of the rear, kinda like a J-Lo bum, big and round. Then I’ll think I like the hood with the wheel humps. Then sometimes I look at the whole picture and ‘somehow’ (can’t explain it) think it does all quite fit together….. p’haps it’s me!
Posted on: 2010/5/13 13:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

It has taken me many years to come to the conclusion that new and wonderful will lead to nothing but financial ruin.

When I was younger, I had a tough time understanding why someone who could afford newer kept that old clunker on the road. Then I realized the benefits... no car payment being the biggie!

But the other is a comfort zone.
Posted on: 2010/5/13 14:34

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Then I realized the benefits... no car payment being the biggie!

Even more amusing: the people making lease payments.
Posted on: 2010/5/13 14:48

biggrizzly Re: The Price
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
You'll feel special right up until they hand you the keys. After that you're their bitch. You'll feel like a chump when you're battling with the service "advisor" over whats not covered by warranty, and what they f**** up while putting their best grease monkey on the job, that you have to pay to train on your car by trial and error for a week while you drive a loaner Malibu 4 cylinder (if you're lucky.)

Andy,
I guess it's different in many parts of the country right now. The two larger dealerships in the area have at least 10 to 30 vettes on the lot with two ZR1s in the showroom and at least 5 or six Z06 and maybe a little more GS cars.

Not as many people are special ordering as you might think. There are some, but I meet every new Corvette buyer from Sport Chevrolet as they get a free membership to our club compliments of the dealership. I always aske them thier motives, likes and dislikes. Some come to the club meeting some do not. There have been a couple museum deliveries that I know from our dealership but not as many as a few years back. It would be interesting to see the actual numbers from the NCM.

Kevin,
As far as crappy service and mechanics go... again I'm sure there are plenty of bad dealerships and service departments, but they should have been cleaned out with the other dead wood dealerships that have been killing the good reputations of good dealerships. I know none of them are perfect and some are real con-artists, but there are hard working dealerships out there trying to keep thier customers happy. If they aren't then shame on them in this economy.

I also own one of those EcoTech 4Clinder Malibus and it has better displacement and horsepower than a lot of other four cylinders in its class. Gets great gas mileage and is a great commuter car for my wife. We will reserve the 8 passenger van for your next service call Kev.
Posted on: 2010/5/13 14:53

Fluff Re: The Price
Senior Guru
Winchester UK & Alicante ES
247 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
It has taken me many years to come to the conclusion that new and wonderful will lead to nothing but financial ruin.....

My old mum told me when I was a kid to avoid cars and women as they'll both make you poor. It's a toss up which one was most true!

Quote:

bogus wrote:
..... But the other is a comfort zone.

That must be where the missus wins I guess
Posted on: 2010/5/13 15:32

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.