Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
210 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C3
Abbreviation for the 3rd generation of Corvettes built from 1968-1982....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

CentralCoaster Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Resized Image

The metal backing which captures the outer bearing race broke off during my track day. I noticed a little extra camber on that wheel in some photos and sure enough had a clunking on the way home.

When it happened, it allowed the bearing to unseat, creating lots of slop, which also makes the bearing narrower. This part of the bearing takes all the compression force from the nut. Once it fails, the nut is no longer tight.

Luckily the spindle nut and cotter pin prevent anything from falling off in most faiulres. Hopefully I didn't damage anything else from the stub axle and loose outer bearing half hammering around in there.

These were the tapered rollers from a group buy a few years back. Other side seems fine, but I may change it also as a precaution. I had some lightly used NDH AC-delco bearings to throw back in there in the meantime.

[IMG]http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt181/CentralCoaster/Oct-08-2011-SpeedVentures2-Blue1150amCP4_4092a.jpg[/IMG]
Posted on: 2011/10/31 23:14

BillH Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

That sucks, K.

I halfway remember that discussion. Were those the bearings that were supposed to superior to the A/C's?
Posted on: 2011/10/31 23:21

bogus Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, the taper was supposed to deal with lateral loading better... in theory.

It could be the inherent design of the bearing hub is the problem, or these are junk. I can't assess which and it would be unfair to cast blame without further empirical evidence. A lot of folks are still running on these units and this is the first failure; a track failure at that.

I would have to call it an aberration unless more start to fail all at the same time.

I just got a pair of Tommy Morrison surplus rear bearings with Mobil 1 synthetic grease in them. The M1 grease is supposed to help them live longer by not breaking down into waxes and losing lubrication ability. For $100 each I will give it a shot.
Posted on: 2011/11/1 0:22

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

jaa1992 Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Guru
Stone Mtn, GA (near Atlanta)
187 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
yea, the taper was supposed to deal with lateral loading better... in theory.

It could be the inherent design of the bearing hub is the problem, or these are junk. I can't assess which and it would be unfair to cast blame without further empirical evidence. A lot of folks are still running on these units and this is the first failure; a track failure at that.

I would have to call it an aberration unless more start to fail all at the same time.

I just got a pair of Tommy Morrison surplus rear bearings with Mobil 1 synthetic grease in them. The M1 grease is supposed to help them live longer by not breaking down into waxes and losing lubrication ability. For $100 each I will give it a shot.

Not the first failure of these. I thought I posted something early last year (or maybe it was the other forum) where mine went after just a few trackdays. On mine it was the passenger side and I replaced both with NOS AC/Delco.
So far those have held up for a couple seasons.
Posted on: 2011/11/1 20:15

jonszr1 Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

so do you guys think stk is the way to go ?????
Posted on: 2011/11/1 20:30
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

1Fast04Vert Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
so do you guys think stk is the way to go ?????

The SKF930024 seemed to be the best according to an earlier thread here. I got mine from Rock Auto, which was the best price with the discount.
Posted on: 2011/11/1 22:49

BrianCunningham Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I was debating not getting the 32 spline subaxles because they couldn't use the tapered bearings.

Looks like I make the right decision.

maybe drilling a grease hole in the standard bearings is the solution?
Posted on: 2011/11/1 23:06

CentralCoaster Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Short of something expensive like the 32 spline setup, my experience has shown the NDH bearings to hold up the best. SKF was 2nd. Everything else I tried was either chinese junk, or these tapered cylindrical rollers.

The original bearings were NDH, and I've gotten old Chicago Rawhide green boxes with NDH in them, but the newer ones under the SKF banner, did not. NDH was at some point absorbed by GM, and I have no idea what's out there now.

Have any of you guy found ID marks on your OEM bearings?
Posted on: 2011/11/2 3:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I just looked at my new ones... and this is what I found:

On the back side of the wheel mating surface: FC#2 and 180* opposite, KLC3. The # represents an unreadable character.

On the bearing mating surface to the upright, we have 2 groups of markings:

1. At one bolt hole: 53; across to the other bolt hole, same plain, JP

2. At one bolt hole: X; across to the other bolt hole, same plain, 025

Memory serves, most GM suppliers are not allowed to disclose they are unless marketing agreements have been signed. Think Crane cams and the gold rockers in the LT4.
Posted on: 2011/11/2 4:21

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I find it interesting that that flange sees any load. When it broke, the bearing basically came off the roller.

This doesn't make sense to me. If this is in fact true, the bearing is getting unloaded any time its on the outside of a turn.... when it should be doing exactly the opposite... in fact it should be able to take thrust in both directions on the bearing surface... which means there's supposed to be two opposing sets of angular rollers.

Would love to cut it open but i don't have the equipment.
Posted on: 2011/11/3 4:09

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I bet NelsonV has access to the equipment. I will ask him. Don't throw that away quite yet.
Posted on: 2011/11/3 6:02

BrianCunningham Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

They come apart pretty easy

no special equipment or cutting needed

They rely on the subaxle to keep it together.
Posted on: 2011/11/3 16:00

Guru
187 Posts

One thing I found was to check the torque on the axle nut often.
After putting in the NOS bearings I found after one event my passenger nut had backed off enough to need re-torquing.
So now I check before putting it on the trailer and each morning at an event.

I've lost the castellated covers long ago, but I don't think they would help much.
Posted on: 2011/11/3 22:00

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I disagree. The nut on this one didn't move. The bearing failed and collapsed on itself, which unloaded the nut.

At first I saw the nut was loose... but it was just an indicator of a failed bearing.

The nut should really never come loose, it's held in with a cotter pin. That rotating portion of the bearing is a solid piece. It should never, ever, change in dimension to allow the nut to unload. It's not like other wheel bearing types where the nut preloads the bearing. Bearing wear should not cause the nut to unload.
Posted on: 2011/11/3 23:24

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The million dollar question: Where were these bearings made?

If they are from China, all bets are off. Their metallurgy has been suspect for a long time...
Posted on: 2011/11/4 0:22

Aboatguy Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Mine have held up so far...but I stay off the track ......
Posted on: 2011/11/6 3:10

Guru
187 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I disagree. The nut on this one didn't move. The bearing failed and collapsed on itself, which unloaded the nut.

At first I saw the nut was loose... but it was just an indicator of a failed bearing.

The nut should really never come loose, it's held in with a cotter pin. That rotating portion of the bearing is a solid piece. It should never, ever, change in dimension to allow the nut to unload. It's not like other wheel bearing types where the nut preloads the bearing. Bearing wear should not cause the nut to unload.

Thats what happened to my tapered bearing - failed inside seal and boom, nut Really loose.
I don't have the cotter pin in mine cause the covers are gone. When I installed the NOS bearings I torqued the nut to 165. After the event it had just enough play I could feel it. Did some research and found 200 is a better number.
Torqued to that spec and even though I check it before durring and after track events I haven't had to tighten it and it has no play.
Posted on: 2011/11/7 13:43

Steve40th Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

At least you didnt wreck and cause even more damage.
Posted on: 2011/11/8 0:05

MK 82 Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Easy guys!! One failure does not a trend make. Are these the ones that Rifle Coach was selling?
Posted on: 2011/11/8 0:54

SpectatorRacing Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

If you track your C4 on R compound tires you will have bearing problems. There is no cost effective solution out there.

Kevin started the questions five years ago on the CF, nothing has changed. The tapered experiment proved to be a bust, this is one of many failures from folks who hoped it would work and found out it did not. James and Matt C. proved it in a matter of days.

If you track your C4 rear bearings are a wear item. No brand name bearing will save you.

The tenth guy to try making a rebuildable rear bearing (Brian was probably the first) just popped up a few months ago. He succeeded, but guess what? It ended up costing within 10% of a new one. Labor to remove and replace is unchanged, so why bother?

I am a broken record but I speak the truth.
Posted on: 2011/11/8 18:38

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

how about if you use the car for drag racing. would the tapers be good for that?
Posted on: 2011/11/9 3:32
i have a blast playing with my 4 babies 2 zr1s and 2 mustangs 68 coupe with a jon bennit 408 art car fully rollered c4 with a gearvendors over drive .88 mustang built by my kids with a ported lt5 and a bill boudreau blue printed zf 6 spd. with these 4 ...

rklessdriver Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

jonszr1 wrote:
how about if you use the car for drag racing. would the tapers be good for that?

There is no side load on the brg drag racing - so IME they last just like regular street driving.

Heck the brgs in my 92 are stock and at 81K miles (and doing just fine).... I've owned the car since 2004 when it had just less than 40K on it.... it's been drag raced almost every weekend of race season, every year of my ownership.

When I need to finally buy brgs I'm just going back with good (NSK or Timken) stock types.
Will
Posted on: 2011/11/9 4:47

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

SpectatorRacing Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

It also seemed to help if you could "season" the bearings for 1000 miles or so before tracking the car. However that is not possible for lots of us who's cars stopped being street legal years ago.
Posted on: 2011/11/9 19:40

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
It also seemed to help if you could "season" the bearings for 1000 miles or so before tracking the car. However that is not possible for lots of us who's cars stopped being street legal years ago.

Makes sense in theory, and these had 5K+ easy miles on them before they saw the track.

But it wasn't a heat failure. It was a stress failure. I believe break-in will help reduce heat failures, where the grease boils and blows out the seals, causing faster wear.

Quote:

jaa1992 wrote:

Thats what happened to my tapered bearing - failed inside seal and boom, nut Really loose.
I don't have the cotter pin in mine cause the covers are gone.

I don't understand... why not? because they look tacky? Those cotter pins might save your ass someday IMO. I don't run centercaps, needless cosmetic crap!
Posted on: 2011/11/9 21:19

Guru
187 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

jaa1992 wrote:

I don't have the cotter pin in mine cause the covers are gone.

I don't understand... why not? because they look tacky? Those cotter pins might save your ass someday IMO. I don't run centercaps, needless cosmetic crap!

I just lost them
Many moons ago at a track event when one of the bearings was going (It was either the OEM or the set before the tapered) and I had to make one run. I pulled the covers off, tightened the crap out of the axle nuts and promptly lost the covers. Ran my one run and drove it the 40 miles home and replaced both bearings. Can't find the things anywhere
Posted on: 2011/11/10 13:36

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

there is a corvette junk yard in phoenix that has these if you need them . pm me if you'd like me to score a couple for you .
Posted on: 2011/11/10 17:03

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Rock Auto sells them. Dorman 615149 Also the nuts and washers. I replaced mine with new awhile back. I recommend bending some tangs in on the retainer so it stays snug on the axle and doesn't rattle around.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1041208,parttype,1620

Resized Image
Posted on: 2011/11/12 0:01

Guru
187 Posts

Thank you for the part number. I could never find it with a regular search

I'll add it to the off season parts list.
Posted on: 2011/11/12 18:38

jhammons01 Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Sorry for bumping an old thread but....

I think a good point may have been overlooked.

Every bearing will "break in" once you start using it. So, if you torque the nut run the bearing and do nothing else, the bearing may become loose.....

I mean, I am going off of bicycle and motorcycle experience, but it makes sense....

So, maybe, Torque the nut, run the bearing and allow the thing to "Break in", and then re-torque the nut a 1000 miles later or after a single run at the track...metal has a way of "moving" sometimes
Posted on: 2012/3/6 15:17

istter1 Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

I found out my Mufflers were not the cause of the dron sound I keep hearing.
When they go bad they go bad. I like this thread I learned a lot form it. I went with Timken 84-96 Rear Wheel Bearing/Hub Assembly a bit high priced but I didn't pay what Zip Corvett was asking. Lol
Since you guys had so many opinions about these made in America vs. others how do these rate.

Already installed them this week. You guys seem to recomend retorking them after about 1000 miles?
Same tork or ???

Attach file:

jpg  timken.jpg (51.28 KB)
5144_4f7fb28297a38.jpg 450X300 px
Posted on: 2012/4/7 3:26

Senior Guru
Lone Pine, CA
453 Posts

i re torque mine after i put them on and ran them for 5k miles found out that they had lost 40lbs of tq. it cant hurt so yes i would .
Posted on: 2012/4/8 1:39

Matatk Re: Rear bearing failure: tapered roller
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

In general, Timken makes top quality bearings. I wouldn't expect those to be anything less.
Posted on: 2012/4/8 4:37

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Timken is very good. Canadian? Or am I confused with NTN?

Whatever, still excellent.

Torque to 200 ft lbs.
Posted on: 2012/4/8 5:33

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Timken is very good. Canadian? Or am I confused with NTN?

Whatever, still excellent.

Torque to 200 ft lbs.

Thanks guys. Car gets better with time.

Having a great time working on it.
Posted on: 2012/4/8 16:26

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

As much as people try to blast the C4, inherently, it's a pretty good car. Age and lack of maintenance has made them unreliable.

My 92, short of this past winters issues, hasn't been that much of an issue over the 12 years I have owned it.

The way I figure, I am going to have costs involved with ownership, no matter what. I don't want payments, and I don't have them. My insurance is reasonable, and my state reg fees are ok. Is it the newest of the new? No, but it is still a Corvette, and it is still included in events.

I wish more people would take them places!!!
Posted on: 2012/4/8 21:25

Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
As much as people try to blast the C4, inherently, it's a pretty good car. Age and lack of maintenance has made them unreliable.

My 92, short of this past winters issues, hasn't been that much of an issue over the 12 years I have owned it.

The way I figure, I am going to have costs involved with ownership, no matter what. I don't want payments, and I don't have them. My insurance is reasonable, and my state reg fees are ok. Is it the newest of the new? No, but it is still a Corvette, and it is still included in events.

I wish more people would take them places!!!

Can't agree with you more. What I am doing now should have been done years ago.

The corvett is a kick in the ass
Posted on: 2012/4/9 0:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.