Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
233 user(s) are online (198 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Interior Lights
There is one in each door. On the 1984-1989 C4s, the door lights can be turned on and off by pressing them.

There are lights under each knee bols...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

TommyT-Bone Cigarette Tax Revival
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

I'm not sure if it's Floridah or the Feds, but I heard the drums beating again recently for a $1.00 tax increase per pack of cigarettes. I don't mind it but I want a tax on all non essentials then. Like sweet foods, soda, any salted snacks, liquor and anything you don't need to survive. If I'm going to pay......... Everybody has to pay. Then I'll start throwing my butts on the ground so they can hire some mofo to pick them up with that extra buck a pack revenue. Ya! That's the ticket.

Denis Leary: I'm An Asshole (adult content)

Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bmwgsa Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Guru
Earth
735 Posts

I'm not surprised at all.
They want to increase the tax on wine too....

So, we all quit smoking and drinking wine - then they increase our income taxes to offset the tax income they lost due to overtaxing other items.....

Where that boat with the tea???? I'm thinking it's time for a party......
Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:40

I am fervently hoping to qualify for the category of "ageless" as opposed to "maturity impaired".

Epimax Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Quote:

bmwgsa wrote:
I'm not surprised at all.
They want to increase the tax on wine too....

So, we all quit smoking and drinking wine - then they increase our income taxes to offset the tax income they lost due to overtaxing other items.....

Where that boat with the tea???? I'm thinking it's time for a party......

Oh yeah, before long nothing will be exempt from additional taxes. Heard NY wants to tax IPOD downloads, soft drinks, increase on beer/wine....movies, etc, etc, etc...
Just like the damn Fed Gas tax....people cut back, and they want to raise the tax 10cents a gallon to offset losses in revenue...
Yep, let's find that boat with the tea...
Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:47

Danspeed1 Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Our wonderful governor Patterson here in NY is in the process of passing legislation to heavily tax soda and sweets, but hes looking to have booze made available in supermarkets and shopping centers across the state. Scratching my head at this one.

DG
Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:50
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

Jeffvette Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:

I don't mind it but I want a tax on all non essentials then. Like sweet foods, soda, any salted snacks, liquor and anything you don't need to survive. If I'm going to pay......... Everybody has to pay.

Except somebody eating sweets, soda, salt does not directly affect my health if I'm sitting in the same room as they are eating.

I am extremely thankful that smoking has been banned in all establishments in Oregon and Washington. Just wish they would enforce the rule about smoking in front of entrance ways.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 19:51

BrianCunningham Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

They're going to tax f@rts next based on methane content.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:12

JDSWHITE93 Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Don't tell me I am hurting the environment and killing others with my second hand smoke but it can continue for a higher price. If they were really concerned about the health hazzards smoking would be illegal. I am a smoker who actually supports common sense smoking bans. I for one think the owner of a bar should be able to decide for themselves if they wish to allow smoking. If you are a nonsmoker then don't go to that bar plain and simple.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:18

pianoguy Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Tax on cigs already went up a buck a pack a year ago here. I love paying more taxes, makes me feel patriotic.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:38

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

DaleD Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

JDSWHITE93 wrote:
I for one think the owner of a bar should be able to decide for themselves if they wish to allow smoking. If you are a nonsmoker then don't go to that bar plain and simple.

I'm with you 100%. It's called liberty. The more the government tells us what we can and can't do, the more liberty we give away. It seems Americans are more than willing to give up their freedom. I smoke cigars, always outdoors walking the dog. Never in the house. But, I support people being able to choose how they run their own darn business. That indoor ban put some people out of business.
Look at North Royalton. They banned smoking outdoors, in parks! Are you kidding me?!

Now look at what Gov. Strickland is investigating... putting GPS units in our car and charging us per mile driven in the state! A kickback from the company that sells the state the GPS units, a kickback from the company that gets the contract to install tham, and another kickback from the company that gets the contract to read the information. And what do we get? Screwed royally with no lube.
Look at E-check, sure it's free, but it's not. Stupid people don't realize tax dollars built those buildings and pay for the continued checks.

It's all going to hell in a handbasket. I wonder if people will ever wake up, or they'll just keep taking it?
Posted on: 2009/1/27 21:53

JDSWHITE93 Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:
Quote:

JDSWHITE93 wrote:
I for one think the owner of a bar should be able to decide for themselves if they wish to allow smoking. If you are a nonsmoker then don't go to that bar plain and simple.

I'm with you 100%. It's called liberty. The more the government tells us what we can and can't do, the more liberty we give away. It seems Americans are more than willing to give up their freedom. I smoke cigars, always outdoors walking the dog. Never in the house. But, I support people being able to choose how they run their own darn business. That indoor ban put some people out of business.
Look at North Royalton. They banned smoking outdoors, in parks! Are you kidding me?!

Now look at what Gov. Strickland is investigating... putting GPS units in our car and charging us per mile driven in the state! A kickback from the company that sells the state the GPS units, a kickback from the company that gets the contract to install tham, and another kickback from the company that gets the contract to read the information. And what do we get? Screwed royally with no lube.
Look at E-check, sure it's free, but it's not. Stupid people don't realize tax dollars built those buildings and pay for the continued checks.

It's all going to hell in a handbasket. I wonder if people will ever wake up, or they'll just keep taking it?

WTF when will it stop ? How about they save a few bucks by killing everyone on death row ? That would free up a few bucks no ? Forget killing them with some expensive cocktail of drugs 9mm rounds are $11.00 for 50 which is alot less than feeding these ******* for another twenty years.
Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:32

Schrade Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I'm not sure if it's Floridah or the Feds, but I heard the drums beating again recently for a $1.00 tax increase per pack of cigarettes. I don't mind it but I want a tax on all non essentials then. Like sweet foods, ...

You mean like candy bars? You meanie!

But alas, your wish is the command of state of NC government. I pay extra tax on candy bars. Know why? Because it's a non-food. Candy bar is a non-food.

I don't get it. When it's a Baby Ruth, and it's floating in a pool in a movie, THEN it's a non-food.

Posted on: 2009/1/27 22:38

Resized Image

CentralCoaster Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I believe in less laws.

Smoking is actually illegal at the beach here.
Posted on: 2009/1/28 3:08

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I believe in less laws.

Smoking is actually illegal at the beach here.

You got a little problem with smokin' on the beach? If you do, you just call Mr. Blade, and he'll issue 'citations'.

Resized Image

Resized Image
Posted on: 2009/1/28 3:15

Resized Image

TommyT-Bone Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

I don't think it's the smoking that's the problem on the beach. It's the butts.
Posted on: 2009/1/28 3:18

Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
I don't think it's the smoking that's the problem on the beach. It's the butts.

You got a problem too, huh?

Fear not, Blade will get the butts too!

Resized Image

Attach file:

jpg  got_butts.jpg (61.24 KB)
1687_497fdfccc95e8.jpg 519X829 px
Posted on: 2009/1/28 4:29

Resized Image

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Not to end the side thread, but (instead of butt)

The governor of MA wants to not only increase the tax on tobacco, but to start taxing SODA and CANDY

Arg!!!!
Posted on: 2009/1/28 17:18

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
The governor of MA wants to not only increase the tax on tobacco, but to start taxing SODA and CANDY

Arg!!!!

Soda; Don't you mean tonic?
Posted on: 2009/1/28 17:23

Matatk Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22808 Posts

I say we just put an extra tax on stupid people and the revenue would come pouring in.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/1/28 17:23

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Arg!!!!

Soda; Don't you mean tonic?

yes, pop to others.

Still remember walking into a McDonalds in Chicago and having the woman tell me they don't serve alcohol when I order a tonic

LOL
Posted on: 2009/1/28 19:37

Matatk Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22808 Posts

How about when you go to a state that calls everything coke.

"Hi, I'd like a number one with a coke."
"What flavor?"
"What do you mean what flavor"
"You know, orange coke, sprite coke, etc...."
"Uh....a coke coke?"

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/1/28 21:37

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

The moral justification for taking unhealthy food items is that they increase health care costs.

So why not just go straight for the gut (literally) and tax fat people?
Posted on: 2009/1/28 23:23

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

The moral justification for taking unhealthy food items is that they increase health care costs.

Well, at least you'll be safe Kevin.
Posted on: 2009/1/28 23:53

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Maybe Obama can implement a mandatory annual health inspection. Sort of like a smog inspection.

You can run on a treadmill at idle, 15 and 25 mph while a machine reads your heartrate, lung capacity, and emissions.

If you fail, you can still pay your inspection fee and get a 90-day waiver that allows you to go out in public. If you don't reinspect and pass within this period, you can be cited and eventually impounded. You can pay a gross populator penalty for up to two years or become property of the state.

Low income citizens who fail the test can apply for state funding to pay up to $300 towards medical repairs.

If these repairs aren't adequate to pass inspection, you will be crushed and the government will send a $1000 credit to your family.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 0:11

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

Posted on: 2009/1/29 0:15

Senior Guru
7763 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Maybe Obama can implement a mandatory annual health inspection. Sort of like a smog inspection.

You can run on a treadmill at idle, 15 and 25 mph while a machine reads your heartrate, lung capacity, and emissions.

If you fail, you can still pay your inspection fee and get a 90-day waiver that allows you to go out in public. If you don't reinspect and pass within this period, you can be cited and eventually impounded. You can pay a gross populator penalty for up to two years or become property of the state.

Low income citizens who fail the test can apply for state funding to pay up to $300 towards medical repairs.

If these repairs aren't adequate to pass inspection, you will be crushed and the government will send a $1000 credit to your family.

Sounds like your building the "ultimate race"

Wasn't there a guy in Germany who tried that?
Posted on: 2009/1/29 0:25

BillH Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:

LMAO

That's freaking brilliant!
Maybe you can send a note to the Dems and get a cut of Al's portion of the 850 bil, the 400m for studying global cooling.

If you ask nicely for say 100m, you could buy us Gurus new Z06s which get better mileage than C4s. We'd let you keep the rest minus the hour of your time to print the proposal and the cost of the copies.

CC For Health Czar
Posted on: 2009/1/29 0:38

pianoguy Re: Cigarette Tax Revival
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

I've been saying for years that overweight folks would be the next target as soon as they're done with the smokers.
Posted on: 2009/1/29 1:24

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33791 Posts

You can substitute the action of this phrase with just about any action. It was one of my favorites when I was drinking.

I have a good reason for drinking
But another just came to my head
If a man can't drink while he's living
How the hell can he drink when he's dead
Posted on: 2009/1/29 2:34

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.