Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
304 user(s) are online (263 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  1983
The year with no Corvette production. There is only one surviving 1983 Corvette. The one 1983 Corvette is in the National Corvette Museum, (NCM), in ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

rklessdriver Corvettes at Carlisle
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

I didn't see a thread yet.... It's next month.

Who's going?

Elsie and I just decided that we would like to attend and I just got our hotel reservations locked on (Thank the Govt for Marriott rewards).

I go to PRI with dads business every year and before that it was the Daytona Trade Show, but this will be my first year at Carlisle. I'm excited to see what kind of show the Corvette community puts on.

BTW we plan on driving the 92 up there.
Will
Posted on: 2011/7/21 21:41

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

a member of my club wanted to start a caravan.

kind of fizzled out
Posted on: 2011/7/21 21:47

biggrizzly Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Will & Brian,

My club will be there. We will be under the CCA tent on the Fun Field. We are close to the Installation Alley by Mid-America.

Stop by and say hello. I'll be out and about but should be there quite a bit. I get to do the Celebrity Judge thing again this year which is a real kick in the pants for me.

I'm really looking forward to going this year and hope I have the issues with my car sorted out by then.
Posted on: 2011/7/22 1:15

JeffK Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Dad and I decided that we're not going this year. Grandma turns 85 a week or two after Carlisle so I'm saving my vacation time for that.

It was amazing to us last year since it was our first.

Hope ya'll have a great time.
Posted on: 2011/7/22 2:28

95Vert Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

My first time there was two years ago. It was a strange experience for me. I thought I would be able to drive my Corvette up from Virginia but didn't get it done in time (that didn't happen until recently anyway).

Of course there are lots of Vettes there but I thought it was going to be more of meet and greet kind of thing. Well, its so huge that you have the vendors and all kinds of people selling things for Corvettes (of course). There certainly were many Corvettes parked up against one side of the field/fence but there was really no one there.

Many cars in the for sale lot and then the many tents etc selling/pitching product/giving demonstrations. I was glad I didn't take my car as there would really not have been a reason.

Might be different if a group goes who knows each other. Or if you go there hoping to meet up or certainly if looking for an elusive part or pieces to buy. For instance, if I go this year, and I'm planning to, I'll stop by Don's tent to say hello. I've seen his website and envy his club unity. We don't have anything like that here in SC that I'm aware of.

Bottom line is that I was glad I didn't put the miles on my car.
Posted on: 2011/7/22 13:08

"Send lawyers, guns and money..."

BillH Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I'd like to go just to see what it's like now.

I was there for the very first "Corvettes at Carlisle" and it was impressive even then.
But back then, it was only a 30 minute drive from my house.

Wish I would have bought 100x more C2 parts there than I did.
Posted on: 2011/7/22 13:18

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

HUGE! Overwhelming! Stuff out the ears! Everything and just tons of parts! All the big vendors and even small ones.

Non-Corvette stuff...I bought some great short straps to tie the trailer straps to when towing a car on the trailer. They make them in Bristol, TN and he travels to the show and sells a ton of that kind of stuff! First rate and of course the antiques and everything in between not necessarily Corvette related!

Well worth going to see!
Posted on: 2011/7/22 13:27

4543 Posts

Quote:

95Vert wrote:
My first time there was two years ago. It was a strange experience for me. I thought I would be able to drive my Corvette up from Virginia but didn't get it done in time (that didn't happen until recently anyway).

Of course there are lots of Vettes there but I thought it was going to be more of meet and greet kind of thing. Well, its so huge that you have the vendors and all kinds of people selling things for Corvettes (of course). There certainly were many Corvettes parked up against one side of the field/fence but there was really no one there.

Many cars in the for sale lot and then the many tents etc selling/pitching product/giving demonstrations. I was glad I didn't take my car as there would really not have been a reason.

Might be different if a group goes who knows each other. Or if you go there hoping to meet up or certainly if looking for an elusive part or pieces to buy. For instance, if I go this year, and I'm planning to, I'll stop by Don's tent to say hello. I've seen his website and envy his club unity. We don't have anything like that here in SC that I'm aware of.

Bottom line is that I was glad I didn't put the miles on my car.

This is why a Corvette Club or Forum like this is important for Corvette Peeps to get the best Experience. All the 1,000 Corvettes you saw parked outside the fence line were actually on the Fairgrounds and paid X$ to get in for one day. The other 3,000 are parked inside. No car other than a Vette is allowed to enter the fair grounds unless it belongs to a paid vendor or staff. However... there is the huge and I mean huge Fun Field which is filled with participant cars that paid the $60 Fun Field Pass (three days for two people) This is where individuals or clubs can park their cars, set up POP-UP tents and make themselves at home. There are other areas there designated for groups like the ZR1 Registry, Grand Sport Registry, Corvette Club of America , NCCC and other groups and clubs that have been there for years. I think that for an individual attending his first time with no Sherpa to assist will just get swallowed up in the rows of swap parts and Corvette Swag. There are separate NCCC Concourse Car shows going on, Autocross races, Exhaust Vendors installing systems... Good Lord... just sooo much. I go for three days and still never get to see it all. My other problem is I talk to much and never get to see what is there.

What did you mean by nobody was there? I guess you mean in the day parking lot. That's because everyone was out hoofing it through the fairgrounds. If you ever come back this way for the event, let me know ahead of time and I'll give you my cell phone. Call me and you can come get out of the heat under our tent... have a cold beer and enjoy the event.
Posted on: 2011/7/22 14:37

4543 Posts

Also --- just read the part about South Carolina might not have anything quite like it.... Well you are right to some degree, however there is a great club in Columbia, South Carolina. Capitol City Corvette Club... I belonged there for several years before moving northward to Maryland in 2004.

They caravan to Carlise each year. I stopped by last year and talked to them for a while. There are still some great people in that club that I know. When I was a member, Donna Littlejohn was the President. She has gone on to become an NCCC Ladies Champ Autocrosser and a great spokeswomen for ladies that enjoy Corvette related activities. She has a website just for Vette Chicks!!

Capitol City Corvette Club
http://www.capitolcitycorvetteclub.com/

VetteChicks

http://www.vettechicks.com/

Check it out.... Maybe you can drive up with them.

Closeby events for you with kind of the same magnitude of vendors....
Charlotte Auto Fair
http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/

Been there several times too. Very huge!!!
Posted on: 2011/7/22 14:48

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I hope that insight has helped the OP as much as it has helped me. Don, you sound like the go to guy for this event!
Posted on: 2011/7/22 15:22

4543 Posts

I have been numerous times. I'm still a nobody, however this is my third year as Celebrity Judge and it has allowed me to get to know Lance Miller a bit better and the people behind Carlisle Productions and other people in the Corvette crowd that I might not had a chance to meet before. I'm still a neophyte at Carlisle in the grand scheme of things as this event has been going on for years. I only started going to Carlisle in 2004 when I moved back to MD, as it was a bit too far from South Carolina for me at the time and my schedule.

I do remember my first time though and I too was overwhelmed, hot and only had one day. I parked where you did and also couldn't believe how many Corvettes were parked in one lot without drivers. Once inside the gates I kind of wandered around aimlessly as I had no real purpose for being there except to check it out. I didn't have much more than $100 bucks to spend, so I got a subscription to Vette Magazine, and some other trinket that has long since disappeared. I couldn't even get a Carlisle T-shirt as they had all been sold out the day before! I went home thinking about ways to make it a better experience for me and my friends in the club and we have improved on that a little bit each year.

Its always good to have some kind of plan in mind ahead of time. Lodging etc., are you going to meet any groups on any days for lunch or supper? I know Corvette Forum has met there before and I did that one year, but I didn't get into the CF group much. Will you plan on doing a car show? Autocross? Looking for specific parts?... I could go on forever but I think you get the idea.

Any questions give me a hollar! PeteK has been several times as well. I think Bogus has been and some others here too.
Posted on: 2011/7/22 17:21

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
I didn't see a thread yet.... It's next month.

Who's going?

Elsie and I just decided that we would like to attend and I just got our hotel reservations locked on (Thank the Govt for Marriott rewards).

I go to PRI with dads business every year and before that it was the Daytona Trade Show, but this will be my first year at Carlisle. I'm excited to see what kind of show the Corvette community puts on.

BTW we plan on driving the 92 up there.
Will

I hate that I will miss a chance to meet you and thank you for all your advice.
Posted on: 2011/7/22 19:15

rklessdriver Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

So I have a question for Don or PeteK.

What package do I pre register for??

I'm not there to get my car judged, race or anything.

We are there to park the car and see the people/vendors/show.

Looking at driving up Saturday morning, seeing the show Saturday, sleep at the hotel Staurday night, a little bit more of the show Sunday and driving home Sunday afternoon/evening.

thanks
Will
Posted on: 2011/7/22 21:27

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
I hate that I will miss a chance to meet you and thank you for all your advice.

No worries. There is always next year. Your welcome.
Will
Posted on: 2011/7/22 21:30

mikeV Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Guru Newb
Top of the world Ma
158 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:

Looking at driving up Saturday morning, seeing the show Saturday, sleep at the hotel Staurday night, a little bit more of the show Sunday and driving home Sunday afternoon/evening.

thanks
Will

The best value is to register for the Fun Field. Admission for two and parking is included...$60 bucks.

I'll be there.. Meeting up with PeteK,WW7,Ray Quayle and others I've met over the years. Much to my surprise I received a Celeberty Pick last year. Hope to see you all there

Mike
Posted on: 2011/7/23 12:45

4543 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:

thanks
Will

Will,

It's been a while since I did a one day or separate day registrations but it will cost you $10 per day to park the Vette in the general parking unless you find something in the surrounding neighborhoods, but they will charge you about the same to park on their lawn and walk in as well. Then you will have to pay $14 per person to enter each day you attend at the box office.

So... it is definitely a better value to buy the Fun Field Pre-Registration at $60 for the whole weekend. That gets both of you into the event plus lets you park your car anywhere on the Fun Field inside the gates. This allows you to 1) be closer to your car so you can drop crap off and not have to carry it and 2) When you run into someone that wants to see that cool engine you built, you don't have to drag them out of the event to see it.

I know that the pre-registration discount price goes up by $10 Monday, but this is still a deal at $70 IMHO, just to be close to the action. Now if you are only planning on going two days... entrance + parking would cost you $48 for two people for two days at the gate, plus waiting in lines etc.

The only way I'd go back to parking in General Parking again and walk in, is if I was only going for a short day and leaving that afternoon. Heck, most car show registrations are $40 for one afternoon!
Posted on: 2011/7/23 14:18

4543 Posts

Quote:

mikeV wrote:
I'll be there.. Meeting up with PeteK,WW7,Ray Quyale and others I've met over the years. Much to my surprise I received a Celeberty Pick last year. Hope to see you all there
Mike

Mike, have you guys discussed where you are going to meet? or what time? Maybe I can hook up with you guys. You are welcome to come by our tent and meet there if you like. It should be marked on the Carlisle Map you get.
Posted on: 2011/7/23 14:27

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Mike and Don,
Thanks for the break down on the packages. I bought the fun field.

I would like to meet with all of you guys when we get there on Saturday. Maybe we can all go out to dinner after the show.

Let me know if you think we can put this together.
Will
Posted on: 2011/7/23 16:31

Guru Newb
Top of the world Ma
158 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

mikeV wrote:
I'll be there.. Meeting up with PeteK,WW7,Ray Quyale and others I've met over the years. Much to my surprise I received a Celeberty Pick last year. Hope to see you all there
Mike

Mike, have you guys discussed where you are going to meet? or what time? Maybe I can hook up with you guys. You are welcome to come by our tent and meet there if you like. It should be marked on the Carlisle Map you get.

Usualy we just call on the cell phones and decide where to meet up. PM sent
Posted on: 2011/7/23 17:23

Guru Newb
Top of the world Ma
158 Posts

Quote:

rklessdriver wrote:
Mike and Don,
Thanks for the break down on the packages. I bought the fun field.

I would like to meet with all of you guys when we get there on Saturday. Maybe we can all go out to dinner after the show.

Let me know if you think we can put this together.
Will

Will,should be no problem... I'll PM my cell #.
Posted on: 2011/7/23 17:29

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

OK, I'm going to be driving up. Probably staying with a friend in Harrisburg which saves the room costs.

I'm not sure if I'll take the Corvette in terms of putting mileage on the thing or if other family members are going so I don't think the funpass will work for me.

How are you guys getting together up there? Best just to stop by Don's group?
Posted on: 2011/7/25 14:36

4543 Posts

I'll PM you guys my cell phone number. All you have to do is call or stop by the tent. Lance told me the final maps won't be ready for a while yet, but we are located not too far from installation alley and the Mid-America tents this year.
Posted on: 2011/7/25 14:50

Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

Thanks Don, got it!
Posted on: 2011/7/25 15:19

4543 Posts

Guess what came in the mail today!!!!
Its getting closer!

Attach file:

jpg  carlisle2011.jpg (155.04 KB)
342_4e3773b2d55fe.jpg 1024X577 px
Posted on: 2011/8/2 3:49

bogus Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

<sniff> can't go...

It's a real haul to get there from here... so maybe next year.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 4:19

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

4543 Posts

I understand! There are lots of things that go on in the Mid West and Cali that I'd love to participate but can't because if distance. Mid-America Fun Fest and Bloomington Gold are just two that come to mind. I'm really thankful there is one really fun event that is close by.
Posted on: 2011/8/2 10:27

Strick Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

I hope to fly into PHL and go with my brother-in -law who owns a new grand sport. Maybe Friday or Sat. I'll look for you guys. Where/who would be the best vendor to buy a GM Hotcam kit? Are the prices any better than catalogs? I hope the weather is good.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 16:19

Elite Guru
High Point, NC
1440 Posts

If anyone happens across the front fender to hood seals for $20/pr this year email me and I'll send you the money + shipping costs. All the vendors want $40 a set + shipping.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 19:14

4543 Posts

Quote:

JeffK wrote:
If anyone happens across the front fender to hood seals for $20/pr this year email me and I'll send you the money + shipping costs. All the vendors want $40 a set + shipping.

I'll keep an eye out. I can bring back something small like that. Nothing much more with the wife's luggage in the back of the vette. I'll take a pair of underwear and a toothbrush! She'll take the whole closet for two days.
Posted on: 2011/8/12 23:44

Strick Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Guru
Lake Wylie, SC
129 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Quote:

JeffK wrote:

I'll keep an eye out. I can bring back something small like that. Nothing much more with the wife's luggage in the back of the vette. I'll take a pair of underwear and a toothbrush! She'll take the whole closet for two days.

You think you have limited storage, try out a vert.
Posted on: 2011/8/13 12:35

PeteK Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I'll be there, and will bring beer.
Posted on: 2011/8/13 12:45

Matatk Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:

Wish I could make it, guys. It would be a lot of fun. Too hard with little ones at home for me and everything else going on.

Posted on: 2011/8/13 21:58

Guru Newb
Top of the world Ma
158 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:

And it is always COLD
Posted on: 2011/8/14 11:48

PeteK Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

mikeV wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:

And it is always COLD

I have my priorities straight. :-)
Posted on: 2011/8/14 13:50

Golfnstuff52 Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Guru Newb
5 Posts

I've gone the last two years and really enjoyed it. I didn't take my vette but if I did I could have parked it with all the other vettes (not the actual event area)with the $25 dollar two person / three day package. At least that's what they told me when I pulled in. Instead, I parked my GMC pickup in the very nearby field. Some good clinics and lots of vettes to view in various stages of condition. One day's worth is good enough for me but with my $25 dollar pass I can attend all days if I wanted to.
Posted on: 2011/8/14 20:40

WW7 Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:

Pete K and Mike V....
Im bringing my big cooler this year full of Corona, with a side of lime wedges...I owe Pete for supplying me with beer last year..Im really looking forward to seeing you guys again .. Going to get a chance to meet up with Ray Quayle and Don Haller also,"Very cool"..... I got the funfield pass this year, I'll call you guys when I get there Friday morning... ..WW
Posted on: 2011/8/14 23:05

Guru Newb
Top of the world Ma
158 Posts

Quote:

WW7 wrote:
Quote:

PeteK wrote:

Pete K and Mike V....
Im bringing my big cooler this year full of Corona, with a side of lime wedges...I owe Pete for supplying me with beer last year..Im really looking forward to seeing you guys again .. Going to get a chance to meet up with Ray Quayle and Don Haller also,"Very cool"..... I got the funfield pass this year, I'll call you guys when I get there Friday morning... ..WW

Posted on: 2011/8/15 9:29

4543 Posts

Its getting closer!!!
Posted on: 2011/8/15 9:53

WW7 Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Senior Guru
Almost Heaven WV
268 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Its getting closer!!!

Yep,2 more weeks. Im taking it real easy on my Vette so I don't break anything..With my luck the day before leaving something will screw up.. WW
Posted on: 2011/8/15 12:11

rayquayle Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Senior Guru
139 Posts

I only just found this thread guys. Never been outside of C4 Tech before. I'm really looking forward to finally meeting all of you. I arrive in Philly from Manchester, UK on Tuesday afternoon. As soon as I get a prepaid phone, I'll text the number to those for whom I have contact info. I'll be arriving in Carlisle Friday afternoon. Not sure what time though. May not make it to the field until Saturday morning. Will you guys be getting together Friday night? I'm staying at the Comfort Suites on Hanover.

See y'all there!
Posted on: 2011/8/18 1:53
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672
Graduate of Gordon's School

corvetteronw Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Senior Guru
Lowell, MI
646 Posts

Can't make it this year. Had a rough spring and summer with eye surgery and then knee surgery right after that. I have not even gotten the Vette out of the garage this year.
I am hoping to install my new exhaust and the new fuel rail O rings this week end and get her on the road.
The West Michigan area holds a Metro Cruise in Grand Rapids the same weekend as Carlisle each year. I will probably attend with my local crew.
Have a great time!
Posted on: 2011/8/19 0:31

istter1 Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Elite Guru
Bakersfield Ca
2336 Posts

Posted on: 2011/8/25 0:41

4543 Posts

OK Where and when do we meet?
Posted on: 2011/8/25 1:39

Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Anybody worried about the rain??

Should be a fun drive up for us. Almost 600HP on tap, 7K miles on a set of 3yr old drag radials and I just bought the wrong damn windshield wipers.....

Quote:

I don't know. We plan to be there Saturday hopefully before noon.
Will
Posted on: 2011/8/25 2:00

4543 Posts

According to Accu-Weather, Friday will be nice but Saturday will be mostly cloudy. But Cloudy is welcome at Carlisle in August to keep things cooler. Sunday will start to get ugly with Irene coming up the coast.

Call me when you get there, 443-939-1852
Posted on: 2011/8/25 2:37

4543 Posts

The weather is looking pretty crappy. So many differing reports. I may shorten the weekend and come back home Saturday afternoon. I need to be close to home if we get some bad weather. I'm too close to the Chesapeake Bay and high winds during hurricane like weather.

This just really sucks big time! This is why its better to live somewhere away from tornadoes, earthquakes, hurricanes and tsunamis... oh year I forgot wild fires and volcanoes!
Posted on: 2011/8/25 9:36

Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:

Don, I thought we were all meeting you at the CCoA tent for beers!

Look forward to meeting you and the rest of the gang. Should make the fairgrounds around noon tomorrow.
Posted on: 2011/8/25 9:42
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

Senior Guru
139 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
According to Accu-Weather, Friday will be nice but Saturday will be mostly cloudy. But Cloudy is welcome at Carlisle in August to keep things cooler. Sunday will start to get ugly with Irene coming up the coast.

Call me when you get there, 443-939-1852

I got a throw away phone after I landed in Philly on Tuesday. I'm on 302-690-4294. See you there Will!
Posted on: 2011/8/25 9:45
NCM Founder #2896
NCM Lifetime #672

captmike13 Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Elite Guru
Hillsboro Mo
2165 Posts

Have fun ya'll. Wish I could go. lack of funds is the determining factor here.
Posted on: 2011/8/25 9:58

captmike13@yahoo.com

BrianCunningham Re: Corvettes at Carlisle
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Have fun.

Should have done this when I was contracting in PA
Posted on: 2011/8/25 17:12

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.