Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
308 user(s) are online (298 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Callaway
A builder of special edition Corvettes.

Very valuable, some exceed 6-figures.

Most notable is the B2K, 1987-1991....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
« 1 (2) 3 »
 Register To Post

BeachBum Re: Driving Impressions today
Master Guru
751 Posts

In my opinion, I don't think wide radials are the solution for traction on your set-up. Naturally a quality radial will help, and might even be the solution for traction issues in 2nd gear, but at a power range of 600 HP, I doubt you will ever hook-up at wot at any speed under 25 mph even with a 12" street radial.

In my opinion, the most wonderful thing to high performance motors is that sheer acceleration you feel in 1st gear when you have a full hook..... sets you back hard and just pulls you along for the ride. But, at that power level, I would be surprised if you can get it to work with radials. Even my old 383 "never" had a single low speed radial tire hook-up..... just too much grunt for them. Had to feather it out of its spin, and maybe would hook-up at the top of 1st. Slicks did the trick, not just at the track, but you can have dead hooks on the street with them too, and when they did spin, was usually just a few tire revolutions, but they would recover and you would launch like there is no tomorrow.

good luck with whatever you decide on !
Posted on: 2008/12/8 23:01

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3933547 ... chevrolet-corvette/page-1
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Josh Re: Driving Impressions today
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

JSUP asked a tire question, which is far more germane to everyone's car than most things. Every car on this board has tires on it. Every person on this board has bought tires at one time or another. I think that is reason for the number of responses.

JSUP, as far as traction is concerned, I think you need to get a little direction and make some choices before anyone can legitimately recommend a tire for you.

First, there is no super tire that will do it all. There is no tire that will yield stellar straight line traction, great all weather performance, handle the curves, and last a long time. The tire isn't out there. You need to decide how you are going to use the car, and choose a tire based on that. If you need severe multiple functions from the tire, you need 2 sets of tires.

Also, decide on the braking system you plan to use. You keep bouncing around on wheel size, and that will affect your tire options. Once you have the brake choice made, and hence the wheel size determined, then move on to tire selection. Right now, all of us are wasting our time giving you recommendations because no one, not even you, knows what size wheel you are going to use.

I don't think you need a brake that won't fit under a 17 inch wheel. You said you mostly street drive the car, and it being an automatic I doubt you'll be storming a road course any time soon, so I really don't see the need for a brake that won't clear a 17 inch wheel, especially in the back. What size wheels are on the car now? I saw you mention something about 16's?

You mentioned that needing to upgrade the brakes was a necessity now. I assume you mean that because the car now has more power, you want better brakes. While good in theory, once you have the ability to lock the tires (or engage the ABS) at any given speed, better and more powerful brakes won't help in a panic stop situation. Repeated stops will be better because the brakes will be better able to deal with the heat build up, but stopping distances won't decrease dramatically, if at all.

Changing wheel size, (going to a 17/18 etc...) will not affect your speedometer as you implied, as long as you use the correct size tire the total diameter of the wheel/tire package should stay close enough to stock to leave the speedometer largely unaffected.

This is how I ASSume you plan to use the car, so here is my recommendation on tires:

You will street drive the car, on nice days, less than 3,000 miles a year. It should not see rain, but it is possible. You will drag race the car a handful of times through out the year. You will not auto cross or road race the car. You are using a stock width (9.5 inch), 17 inch, rear wheel. You intend to stay with the automatic and semi-aggressive stall converter.

If all that is true, I would recommend a 275/40-17 Mickey Thompson ET street radial. Of the drag radials, it will have the most straight line traction. Wet performance is sub-par compared to a conventional street tire, however the tires will get you home with no drama if it does start to rain and you keep your head on straight.

The difference between hot and cold traction is considerable, so you'll need to drive the car far enough to warm the tires, or do some kind of burnout to warm them up to see the best traction.

Like all drag radials, they recover poorly once traction is lost. If they start to spin, they will not bite down without lifting the throttle. This is main difference between a drag radial like this and the bias ply tire options out there, in my opinion. An ET street, as opposed to the ET street radial, will recover traction MUCH better than the radial. However, the ET street will put you on the side of the road if it rains, and the cornering ability is next to nothing.

I made a ton of assumptions to get to that recommendation, so it could be right on the money or off in left field, I don't really know. No one knows until we figure out what you want the tire to do, what size options are available, etc...
Posted on: 2008/12/8 23:02

tpi421vett Re: Driving Impressions today
Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

I drive mine on the streets, and run ET streets full time. I sticky tire makes your car much safer on a high hp street car as mentioned. I think M/T has the stickiest drag radial. The drag radials are much better for handling vs ET streets. If it was me... I would run M/T drag radials for street trim, and put ET streets and skinnies for the track, if and when the budget permits. And be careful driving your car under 40 degrees.
Posted on: 2008/12/8 23:05
450ci now with AFR 235...

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Also, wider is better, but not as much as you would think. As you widen the tire, you are taking pressure off the tire. You are spreading the weight of the car out over a larger area, so each square inch of tire is not being pressed into the ground as hard.

Wider will help in wheel spin situations because rubber is being torn off the tire, and larger surface area will help, but the traction difference between a 275 and 315 is pretty negligible for straight line performance.

I also agree with Beach Bum, I don't think you'll dead hook it with a radial tire. You might get the ET street radials to do it at the track if you prepare the car correctly, but since you don't plan to drag race that often you probably won't have the chance to make 150 passes and really dial the car in.
Posted on: 2008/12/8 23:07

pr0zac Re: Driving Impressions today
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i think common sense goes much further than a sticky tire. i don't run 9's but do live in a cold area and i don't care how sticky your tires are.. you don't need to A. be driving anything over 350hp in cold weather B. i know you don't need to press the gas pedal more than a quarter throttle if you don't have your sticky's on..
Posted on: 2008/12/8 23:10

Calm Re: Driving Impressions today
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

Calm wrote:
Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
I sure wish I could get 3 pages of replies full of answers when I post a question.

Well, jsup's more needy. :binky:

I'm that pathetic huh?....

Not at all.....just a hell of alot of fun to tease.
Posted on: 2008/12/8 23:20

jsup Re: Driving Impressions today
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Josh wrote:
JSUP, as far as traction is concerned, I think you need to get a little direction and make some choices before anyone can legitimately recommend a tire for you.

I know, this is part of my research, I'm trying to find out what I don't know.
Quote:

First, there is no super tire that will do it all. There is no tire that will yield stellar straight line traction, great all weather performance, handle the curves, and last a long time. The tire isn't out there. You need to decide how you are going to use the car, and choose a tire based on that. If you need severe multiple functions from the tire, you need 2 sets of tires.

Yep, I get that. The only reason I am driving the car in cold weather is I just got it back and wanted to run the trans. Second, we need to finish tuning it. Otherwise, it's never out under 55 Degrees. So typical use is on a warm spring/summer day in no rain.
Quote:

Also, decide on the braking system you plan to use. You keep bouncing around on wheel size, and that will affect your tire options. Once you have the brake choice made, and hence the wheel size determined, then move on to tire selection. Right now, all of us are wasting our time giving you recommendations because no one, not even you, knows what size wheel you are going to use.

I'm working on that. I will go to C5 brakes/rotors. I need to know if they will fit under my rim. There is no specific consensus on the matter. I asked Jeff if I can use a bracket to mock fit it and see. Once I know if the brakes will fit under my rim or not, THEN I will have direction. I hope they do fit, I'd like to keep the stock 17X9.5 rims. When the car is parked, it should look stock.

Quote:

I don't think you need a brake that won't fit under a 17 inch wheel. You said you mostly street drive the car, and it being an automatic I doubt you'll be storming a road course any time soon, so I really don't see the need for a brake that won't clear a 17 inch wheel, especially in the back. What size wheels are on the car now? I saw you mention something about 16's?

The C5 brakes should be adequate as I said above. I have all 17 inch rims. Standard 1990 fare.

Quote:

You mentioned that needing to upgrade the brakes was a necessity now. I assume you mean that because the car now has more power, you want better brakes. While good in theory, once you have the ability to lock the tires (or engage the ABS) at any given speed, better and more powerful brakes won't help in a panic stop situation. Repeated stops will be better because the brakes will be better able to deal with the heat build up, but stopping distances won't decrease dramatically, if at all.

Got it. That's why I'm doing all this other stuff first, like the rear. The brakes are secondary to this other stuff. Point is, I don't put a lot of miles on the car and whatever tires I get, will still be there when I do the brakes.

Quote:

Changing wheel size, (going to a 17/18 etc...) will not affect your speedometer as you implied, as long as you use the correct size tire the total diameter of the wheel/tire package should stay close enough to stock to leave the speedometer largely unaffected.

I never said anything about the speedometer.

This is how I ASSume you plan to use the car, so here is my recommendation on tires:Quote:

You will street drive the car, on nice days, less than 3,000 miles a year. It should not see rain, but it is possible. You will drag race the car a handful of times through out the year. You will not auto cross or road race the car. You are using a stock width (9.5 inch), 17 inch, rear wheel. You intend to stay with the automatic and semi-aggressive stall converter.

So far, so good.

Quote:

If all that is true, I would recommend a 275/40-17 Mickey Thompson ET street radial. Of the drag radials, it will have the most straight line traction. Wet performance is sub-par compared to a conventional street tire, however the tires will get you home with no drama if it does start to rain and you keep your head on straight.

I have come to the same conclusion. The only issue is weather or not I can fit the brakes under my rim. Now, what I don't know is if there are 17 inch rims that WILL fit the brakes, in which case, the point may be moot.

Quote:

Like all drag radials, they recover poorly once traction is lost. If they start to spin, they will not bite down without lifting the throttle. This is main difference between a drag radial like this and the bias ply tire options out there, in my opinion. An ET street, as opposed to the ET street radial, will recover traction MUCH better than the radial. However, the ET street will put you on the side of the road if it rains, and the cornering ability is next to nothing.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Quote:

I made a ton of assumptions to get to that recommendation, so it could be right on the money or off in left field, I don't really know. No one knows until we figure out what you want the tire to do, what size options are available, etc...

Well, you're pretty close.
Posted on: 2008/12/8 23:23

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:
Is there any big difference between the 17 and 18 inch rims? As far as those tires are concerned?

I don't know if brakes will fit under my stock rims....

If I need new rims to clear the brakes, no point in buying tires to fit these rims. I'll just wait it out.

Overall, for straight ahead traction you'll be better off with 17" wheels, reason being that assuming you're maintaining close to stock tire circumference, you'll end up with a little more sidewall using 17s. Also there's a better selection of tires in 17" and they're significantly cheaper than 18s.
Although some factory 17" wheels have a clearance problem with C5 front brakes, as far as I know, you shouldn't have any problem with aftermarket wheels. In fact, although my '95 sawblades don't clear my ZO6 front brakes, once at an event I borrowed some race tires mounted on earlier Corvette 17" wheels that cleared the brakes fine.

I hope you're right. I'd love to stick with the stock rims.
Posted on: 2008/12/8 23:35

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Is this the solution?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdet ... 4R&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Recommended rim width, 10 inches. I have 9.5. Will it fit?
Posted on: 2008/12/8 23:35

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

you would be amazed what a 275 tire will do even a 295 if you really think you need it.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 0:12

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i have cut 1.8 60 foots with 245/50-16 nitto drag radials on a not so serious launch
Posted on: 2008/12/9 0:14

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
you would be amazed what a 275 tire will do even a 295 if you really think you need it.

So you think the 315 is too much? I was going for the biggest thing that will fit on the rim.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 0:15

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

you really need a bigger rim than 9.5 for 315's
Posted on: 2008/12/9 0:16

BrianCunningham Re: Driving Impressions today
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

Josh wrote:

I know, this is part of my research, I'm trying to find out what I don't know.
Quote:

Yep, I get that. The only reason I am driving the car in cold weather is I just got it back and wanted to run the trans. Second, we need to finish tuning it. Otherwise, it's never out under 55 Degrees. So typical use is on a warm spring/summer day in no rain.
Quote:

I'm working on that. I will go to C5 brakes/rotors. I need to know if they will fit under my rim. There is no specific consensus on the matter. I asked Jeff if I can use a bracket to mock fit it and see. Once I know if the brakes will fit under my rim or not, THEN I will have direction. I hope they do fit, I'd like to keep the stock 17X9.5 rims. When the car is parked, it should look stock.

Quote:

The C5 brakes should be adequate as I said above. I have all 17 inch rims. Standard 1990 fare.

Quote:

Got it. That's why I'm doing all this other stuff first, like the rear. The brakes are secondary to this other stuff. Point is, I don't put a lot of miles on the car and whatever tires I get, will still be there when I do the brakes.

Quote:

I never said anything about the speedometer.

This is how I ASSume you plan to use the car, so here is my recommendation on tires:Quote:

So far, so good.

Quote:

I have come to the same conclusion. The only issue is weather or not I can fit the brakes under my rim. Now, what I don't know is if there are 17 inch rims that WILL fit the brakes, in which case, the point may be moot.

Quote:

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.

Quote:

Well, you're pretty close.

Trying to take down your own thread now?

It would be hilarious if you get banned because of your own thread! LOL
Posted on: 2008/12/9 2:49

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

pot meet kettle
Posted on: 2008/12/9 2:50

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Trying to take down your own thread now?

It would be hilarious if you get banned because of your own thread! LOL

What are you talking about?

It was a long post and I thought the specific points needed to be addressed specifically.

None of that was hostile...none of it.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 2:52

BeachBum Re: Driving Impressions today
Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

tpi421vett wrote:
I drive mine on the streets, and run ET streets full time. I sticky tire makes your car much safer on a high hp street car as mentioned.

Very true, and I never would have guessed that until I ran on them full time to prove to myself. Point-and-go driving is a good thing.

In my opinion, good advise everywhere in this thread.... proof positive it can be done.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 17:02

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Quote:

tpi421vett wrote:
I drive mine on the streets, and run ET streets full time. I sticky tire makes your car much safer on a high hp street car as mentioned.

Very true, and I never would have guessed that until I ran on them full time to prove to myself. Point-and-go driving is a good thing.

In my opinion, good advise everywhere in this thread.... proof positive it can be done.

Yes, thank you everyone for your input.

I guess my plan now is to get the rear in, in April.

The next step is to pick up these?
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsear ... 5+4294904730&autoview=sku

I'm going to keep the stock rims I guess. See what I can do with the brakes. New bias springs perhaps. Wish I knew for sure if the C5 brakes would fit.

Anyone disagree with that plan?
Posted on: 2008/12/9 17:10

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Tire size is somewhat subjective. A 315 nitto will be considerably narrower than a 315 BFG. Some companies measure to the extreme outer edge of the tire, others measure the contact patch, others may measure differently; my point is that while 315 is an excellent guideline, it is just that, a guideline.

A 315 nitto will work great on a 9.5 inch wide wheel because they run narrow. A 315 BFG will not work on a 9.5 inch wheel because they run large.

You linked to a 315 BFG, that tire will not work on your stock wheels. You also linked to a 275, that tire will work for your stock wheels.

However, in my opinion, you are still several steps ahead of yourself.

You can't choose a tire without knowing the wheel size.
You can't choose a wheel size without knowing what brake package you are going to use.
You can't choose a brake package until you figure out how you intend to use the car.

I'll ASSume that you know how you want to use the car. The next step is to choose a brake set up that compliments the car's intended purpose. That is where you should be right now, researching brakes, not tires. I know you think you are doing the appropriate R&D by asking about tires now, but all you are doing is wasting time, IMO.

Figure out what brakes you want to use, then see if they will fit under the stock wheels. If not, maybe reconsider the brake choice. If there is no suitable brake solution that will fit under the stock wheels, start to do wheel research. Maybe there are 17 inch wheels that are constructed differently than the stock wheels that will allow your chosen brake package to clear. Maybe you have to move to an 18, or even 19 inch wheel.

Once that is done, research the width of the wheels. Ask yourself how you want the car to look. Research back spacing, off set, width, wheel construction, one piece, 2 piece, forged, etc...

Finally, look into tires.

In my opinion, you're several steps ahead of yourself.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 18:16

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Josh, perfect. You spelled out what I am thinking to a "T". I'm ahead of myself in my head, that's why I'm asking the questions.

Between now and April, that's when I switch the rear, I have to figure out what I'm going to do about brakes, so as you state, before I can figure out what I'm going to do with tires.

I'm trying to learn, and go gather information so I do the right thing, so I do it once. I want the plan in place today so I can execute tomorrow. PLUS if I see a steal on brakes I know will fit, or rims that will work, I'll snap them up. That's why knowing all that now works for me.

What I am trying to figure out now is what tire is sticky and won't kill me if I get caught in rain.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 18:44

dan0617 Re: Driving Impressions today
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:

What I am trying to figure out now is what tire is sticky and won't kill me if I get caught in rain.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 19:30

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

dan0617 wrote:
Quote:

jsup wrote:

What did I miss?

Anyway, Josh, to the point of wasting time let me clear this up.

I am trying to get a C5 brake adapter bracket to see it it will fit under my rim. I'll go to Autozone pick up a C5 caliper and mock it up, and see if it fits.

If it fits, I call and order the tires I decide on NOW. That's why I'm asking about tires now.

If it doesn't fit different story.

I think, based on what I have learned, that C5 setup will be adequate for my purposes, with a bias spring from DRM. All that is left to do is mock it up.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 19:39

CentralCoaster Re: Driving Impressions today
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

jsup, I have the dimensions for the bracket if you want to try making a mockup out of some heavy duty cardboard or wood.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:12

Lichen Re: Driving Impressions today
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

I'll go out on a limb and guess that the C5 brakes will not fit your stock rims. That is one reason so many people went with GS replicas. The J55 upgrade barely fit my stock '93 sawblades. If they don't fit, you should be ok with the J55 upgrade, some Hawk pads and a new bias spring.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:22

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
jsup, I have the dimensions for the bracket if you want to try making a mockup out of some heavy duty cardboard or wood.

Thanks, I'll take it. Is it in autocad? Need to know so I can have someone open it up for me.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:24

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

But aren't there two slightly different designs of the latemodel sawblades, and isn't the clearance on the backside of the wheel face different on them?
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:25

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

Lichen wrote:
I'll go out on a limb and guess that the C5 brakes will not fit your stock rims. That is one reason so many people went with GS replicas. The J55 upgrade barely fit my stock '93 sawblades. If they don't fit, you should be ok with the J55 upgrade, some Hawk pads and a new bias spring.

See, the problem is I got answers of absolutely, to absolutely not, to definite maybe. I'd love to know once and for all.

Is the J55 comparable to the C5 brakes?
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:25

Lichen Re: Driving Impressions today
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

I've been told that there is a slight difference in the different sawblades, but I can't remember what it is. The J55 is somewhere between the stock brakes and the C5. The DRM bias spring does make a big difference if you upgrade.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:41

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Cars vary when it comes to wheel/brake clearance. They shouldn't, but they do. I can put a set of 15 inch summit racing brand draglites on the rear of my 91 C4 and they clear the caliper. According the Corvette forum, that's impossible. Well, possible or not, the wheels clear on my particular car. On a friends non-J55 1992 C4 (should be just like mine) they don't clear.

There are a ton of stock C5's out there with 17 inch front wheels, so the C5 brakes will fit under a 17 inch wheel. Whether or not there are interference issues laterally with the face of the wheel, I doubt you'll find anyone that can say definitively 'Yes' or 'No' about your particular car, wheel, and hub combination.

I think you are on the right track with trying to mock up a brake system and check for clearance. There are a ton of us that have done the C5 brake conversion, so searching on the Corvette forum may yield some near definitive results, but I think the only way you will know 100% is to try it out on your car.

If everything works out, I think you should stay with a 17 inch wheel. The tire options are much greater and usually cost less. Again, based on what you've said I would recommend a 275/40-17 ET street radial. There is also a 17 inch bias ply ET street available if you find that you are willing to sacrifice the rain performance for dry, straight line traction. I don't think either of those options is available in an 18 or 19, but I might be wrong.

I ran the ET street radials on my car for close to year with no issues. I was caught in the rain with them several times and got home with no drama, even at freeway speeds. I didn't have very much luck with them at the drag strip, but they were infinitely better than any 'normal' street tire. In the end I went with 2 sets of wheels. A normal street tire (BFG TA's) on my stock wheels, and a bias ply ET street on a 16 inch Camaro wheel for drag strip duty.

Good luck.
Posted on: 2008/12/9 22:35

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

OK, so I'm trying to get my hands on a bracket, or enough info, thanks CC, to mock it up and go from there.

Another stupid questions, for you guys who run ET Radials, you don't run them in all four corners, do you? I was going to keep my BFGs up front. Oh, Tire Rack calls my BFGs "drag radials"....makes sense, I couldn't spin them with the stock L98 or the SuperRam build.

Anyway..I'm also looking at Hoosier tires. These will fit a 9" rim:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdet ... 3+317726+115&autoview=sku

Any better/worse than MTs? Seems they are considerably more expensive. How about Nitto?
Posted on: 2008/12/9 22:51

Randyj75 Re: Driving Impressions today
Guru Newb
MD
129 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
Quote:

BeachBum wrote:
Quote:

tpi421vett wrote:

Yes, thank you everyone for your input.

I guess my plan now is to get the rear in, in April.

The next step is to pick up these?
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsear ... 5+4294904730&autoview=sku

I'm going to keep the stock rims I guess. See what I can do with the brakes. New bias springs perhaps. Wish I knew for sure if the C5 brakes would fit.

Anyone disagree with that plan?

John.
You need to go for a ride in my car; J55 brakes w/ slotted rotors, S/S brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, and synthetic brake fluid. Then you would have no issues w/ the wheels fitting on the car.

Randy
Posted on: 2008/12/10 0:05

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
How about Nitto?

Posted on: 2008/12/10 0:08

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

Randyj75 wrote:

John.
You need to go for a ride in my car; J55 brakes w/ slotted rotors, S/S brake lines, Hawk HPS pads, and synthetic brake fluid. Then you would have no issues w/ the wheels fitting on the car.

Randy

Hawk HPS pads and slotted rotors are the cat's ass. I don't even have the J55 option and if I floor the brake going 90 mph I can bring the anti-lock on on completely dry pavement and hang my passenger on his/her seatbelt. They can't even sit back! C4 brakes with slotted rotors and HPS pads (again, not even J55) are MUCH better than most give credit.
Posted on: 2008/12/10 0:11

88BlackZ51 Re: Driving Impressions today
Senior Guru
481 Posts

Quote:

jsup wrote:
OK, so I'm trying to get my hands on a bracket, or enough info, thanks CC, to mock it up and go from there.

Another stupid questions, for you guys who run ET Radials, you don't run them in all four corners, do you? I was going to keep my BFGs up front. Oh, Tire Rack calls my BFGs "drag radials"....makes sense, I couldn't spin them with the stock L98 or the SuperRam build.

Anyway..I'm also looking at Hoosier tires. These will fit a 9" rim:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdet ... 3+317726+115&autoview=sku

Any better/worse than MTs? Seems they are considerably more expensive. How about Nitto?

I had Nitto's and they imo. The only good thing was the tire life.

Go with the Mickey's or BFG's.
Posted on: 2008/12/10 2:22

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

If he wants a tire for street use, the Nitto is a good choice.

I would never leave the M/T on the car unless its on the way to the strip, too soft.
Posted on: 2008/12/10 2:48

Elite Guru
1778 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
If he wants a tire for street use, the Nitto is a good choice.

I would never leave the M/T on the car unless its on the way to the strip, too soft.

Hoosier? Keep in mind, I want something I can leave on the car.

The BFGs I have, on TireRack are called Drag Radials. I probably have too much air pressure, as I like to keep them
mid-high 30s.

Here's what I have now:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j ... fromCompare1=yes&place=27

I need a tire I can leave on the car and drive, I don't want to be spinning them all over the streets all the time.

If I need to pick pu a set of seperate drag tires, I'll do that. I want the stickiest, dry weather, warm weather, tire that won't be spinning all over the place on the street.

You think Nittos will be that tire?
Posted on: 2008/12/10 2:52

Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

No. Nitto's are a decent compromise tire, but you don't get the best of anything. They don't wear like a street tire or hook like a slick. All drag radials are this way, and eventually that is what lead me to using 2 separate sets of wheels and tires. Of the drag radials, the MT's are much stickier than the nittos, at the cost of reduced life.
Posted on: 2008/12/10 5:28

mseven Re: Driving Impressions today
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

I guess my attitude is a little different than those who live on the left coast or in the southern states. I am shut down from driving it till winter is over. Salt, snow etc. isn't my idea of fun, so the way I look at it is all I have a smaller window of opportunity. Performance tires become stones w/in about 5 years or less, and the longer they sit the more likely they turn to bricks. I prefer having the car reasonably hooked all the time, and replace every couple years or when needed...to me life is short, have fun
Posted on: 2008/12/10 13:45

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Jsup, I know nothing about your current tires but if they are a drag radial try this......let them down to about 22 psi. I run my nitto's at 22 psi all the time and they are fine. After you let them down, go out and do a powerbrake burnout that looks like a John Force burnout. Hold the brakes hard and hold the gas for about 15 seconds. Then do it again. It will help get some of the "hardening" off of the tire surface. Will be much better for you until you do get new tires.

I like the Nitto 555r's for a good street tire with a high torque motor and high stall converter. I've been saying that for 5 pages now, which is why I posted a banghead after you said "what about nitto?" My friend with the supercharged Cobra ran M/T ET streets on the street and it was hazardous. Felt like the car had a floating rear when going around corners. He now runs them at the track but runs nittos on the street and likes them. You can fit 315 nittos on a 9.5" rim and they look fine. I also think you'd be very happy with slotted rotors (not drilled) and Hawk HPS pads. Unless you autocross or road race or are just looking for nice looking brakes or bragging rights then the C5 brakes are overkill IMO.

Also, agreeing with the above post, drag radials and slicks and such, IMO, have a life of about 3 years. They do harden. The burnouts help to get the hardness off of the tire surface but the sidewalls and all loose some elasticity and the traction goes down. I am figuring on new rear tires every 2-3 years.

For wet weather driving, a good front tire that gets the water out of the path of the rear tires without hydroplaning does wonders. Go with front tires that are poorly designed for wet weather driving and they leave alot of water on the road surface for the rear tires to contend with and that ain't good!
Posted on: 2008/12/10 14:21

BillH Re: Driving Impressions today
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I agree with the HPS and I run them. I also run Hawk's on the racecars.
But, the slotted rotors don't do much for braking performance.
Posted on: 2008/12/10 15:11

Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I agree with the HPS and I run them. I also run Hawk's on the racecars.
But, the slotted rotors don't do much for braking performance.

I am a believer in the slotted rotors in that they help let the heat out a little which helps keep the rotors from warping in time. If you are sitting at a stoplight with your foot on the brake after a hard stop the slot does let some heat escape, IMO.
Posted on: 2008/12/10 15:47

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

You've warped a rotor?

Anyhow I was doing some braking tests after I put slotted (and drilled don't ask) wilwoods on, with the gtech, which requires a full stop to measure 60-0 distance, and just that 2 seconds of having the pad stationary on the rotor heat-checked the rotor, around the slots and holes and everything. You can clearly see the shape of the pad even to this day, years later.

I guess slots will help keep the pads clean, but I wouldn't expect any improvements anywhere else.
Posted on: 2008/12/10 18:50

Mekanic Re: Driving Impressions today
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

You want a street tire that will hook?

Vredestein.

I have a friend with a 470WHP trans am that needed tires, I told him to get the Vredestein's, he kept nit picking me, but finally got them.

Then he kept asking me "will they hook? Will they hook? I need them to hook?"

My answer was a continuous "yes asshole! they will hook GREAT!"

So he gets them, loves them on the street.

Goes to the track, lines up againsed a GTO and bogs the launch bad and looses.

2nd run he decides, to just launch it and try to beat the GTO. He launched at 3500RPM.

The tires did not spin.

He did, twist his driveshaft in 2.

I asked him "did they hook?" hahaha
Posted on: 2008/12/10 19:14

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'm going to switch to some Nitto NT-01s or maybe check out the new NT-05s or Bridestone RE01R.

There's plenty of sticky street tires out there. You won't get too many miles out of them, but who cares if they only last 5 years anyways before they get hard.
Posted on: 2008/12/10 19:35

rklessdriver Re: Driving Impressions today
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

JSUP
Most everyone is telling you right. But there's so much comming from all sides I just want to break my experience with all of them down for you.

Yes I have owned raced (and run on the street) every set of Drag Radils currently availiable with the exception of the new Good Years...

The Nitto drag radials are the most street freindly but not really that great on the track with high HP/TQ cars. I got quite a bit of road miles out of my set and drove the everyday. The 315's are very narrow compared to EVERYTHING else out there and will fit on 9.5" rim easy.

The BFG drag radial is still good on the street but better than Nitto on track. 3-5K life span on the street. Wide tire needs 11" rim.

The M/T drag radials are pretty much track oriented (90%)but get by on the street... even in wet weather if your careful. Very short life on the street. The 275 15's run 1.43 60fts and are stable all they way down the track in my drag car (Mustang).

The Hoosier drag radials are 99.99% race trace oriented and barley get by on the street... they are a NO GO when it's even a light drizzle outside.

There is also a drag radial made by M&H and IMO they flat suck. They suck at the track and they suck on the street, end of story. I just sold a set of 325 45R 17's.

I have 335 30R 17 Hoosiers for my 92. You've all seen the first dyno sheet and even thou its not running at 100% it has plenty of power and a very nasty power band. Once they warm up I can get my car to hook in the top of 2nd, bottom of 3rd gear on the street. My car is a 6spd with 3.45 rear ratio of course. If the road is cold/tires are cold they won't hook for crap, my 315 Sumitomo street tires do about as good cold.

For comparison my car will spin the 315 Summis past 100MPH in 3rd gear (if you have the balls to stay in it) on a warm road. It will light them up any time you approach WOT in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear. Not fun as the car rarley tracks very strait once the tires start spinning.

I'm also buying a set of the M/T 315's for the Corvette so I can compare them to my Hoosiers when the season opens up in the summer. I've been working on dyno time with the motor issues and haven't had the extra cash to get them ordered yet...

IMO if your keeping the stock 9.5 rear rim, and want to actually drive the car alot, the 315 Nitto is your best choice. If its a weekend/good weather only type car I'd buy M/T 275's.

BTW - Good to see your new tranny is working as expected.
Will
Posted on: 2008/12/10 22:16

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

MK 82 Re: Driving Impressions today
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Slotted rotors are designed to let the gases escape. They do nothing for heat removal.
Posted on: 2008/12/10 23:10

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

So what is the difference between a good drag radial and a track tire? Say, a Kumho V700 vs. a BFG DR? The sidewall plies?
Posted on: 2008/12/11 1:52

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

DropTopCE wrote:
Slotted rotors are designed to let the gases escape. They do nothing for heat removal.

True, and the outgassing on todays pads is minimal.
Posted on: 2008/12/11 15:45

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
You've warped a rotor?

Exactly, CC and I've had this discussion before. Warped rotors are rare. What most people feel is either a hard spot or pad deposits.

I chech rotor runout quite a bit (with a dial) on the racecars. It just dosen't happen much.

We do spin the tires or move the car 6 inches 2 or 3 times when they come in after some hot laps, especially if we're doing tire temps and don't want the driver to slow down on the inlap. If the driver does a real cooldown lap, it's not necessary.
Posted on: 2008/12/11 15:55

Z51L9889 Re: Driving Impressions today
Guru Newb
Dayton, OH
18 Posts

Quote:

Lichen wrote:

The C5 brakes will work with 89-90 wheels but may require a 1/8 spacer. I have two sets of stock 89 wheels for my car. I needed the spacers to clear my C5 brakes with 5 of the wheels. The other three cleared but the clearance was really small with new pads. All the wheels clear fine after the pads wear some. I run an 1/8" spacer I ordered from Coleman racing with absolutely no issues.
Posted on: 2008/12/13 23:11

« 1 (2) 3 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.