Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
230 user(s) are online (183 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TLS
Transverse Leaf Spring

A design first used by Chevrolet in the 1963 Corvette with independent rear suspension. When centrally mounted, it function...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

pianoguy Engine advice - WWCGD?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I imagine some of you know, as I have hijacked a couple of other threads - I'm fairly certain I have a bad rod bearing in my LT4. I romped on it a bit last Saturday, and all of a sudden, I was hearing a knock anywhere above 2000 RPM or so (car runs OK except for the knock). I isolated it to the passenger side, likely #8 or #6, and pulled the valve cover, hoping for something simple - sadly, things looked good. So I drained my oil - no big chunks when I strained it, but I cut open the filter and found lots of bronze-colored residue.

I called 3 shops to get a feel for what it would cost to fix - 2 high-performance engine shops and a stealership. The 2 shops would pull the engine, do a complete tear-down and clean everything, and reassemble, replacing whatever was needed - both guessed it would likely run in the neighborhood of $4-5K. The stealership threw out a minimum of $5500-6K and didn't indicate anything about doing a complete tear-down. Unfortunately, since it is racing season, neither of the 2 shops could promise a quick turn-around, likely at least a month, and I would take a back seat to their regular racing customers at this time of year. TPIS is also in town - I haven't called them yet, but may give them a buzz on Monday.

So, that is a fair amount of money to (hopefully) get my car back to how it was before last Saturday. I have been considering looking at getting a new short block or perhaps even a long block instead - I would imagine I could do that for perhaps a little more money but at least would likely have a warranty of some kind, and maybe have a few more ponies under the hood to boot.

I don't have a hoist, nor have I ever pulled an engine - I do a fair amount of work on my car, but all peripheral stuff - I don't have the tools or expertise for engine guts.

So, what route would you take? The car has 47K miles on it. Besides Golen, what are some other good sources for engines?
Posted on: 2009/5/2 3:48

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

LPE.

DRM.

Get ready to spend $$.

You can also get a used engine... something to consider.
Posted on: 2009/5/2 4:25

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Matatk Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Brad, I know this sucks for you. But if I were in your shoes I'd build it myself. I know you don't have the tools, experience, etc, but neither do I in any of the work I do. All the work I've done on the vette is my first time. The majority of your cost is the removal/install. Get the machine work done and you're set.

Maybe this seems like a cop out, but I can't see paying a shop that much money for something I know you're capable of doing. Even in buying a bunch of new tools, you'll still come out ahead.

Or buy Jeffvette a plane ticket and have him come do it in your garage

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/2 12:36

CSS996 Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Are you sure you want to fix/keep the car?

Seems like it is worth fixing, but if you have the urge to move to a C5 or something, maybe now is the time. I wonder what your car is worth in it's current condition?

I bet you could rent an engine puller and figure out how to work it. If I was gonna keep the car, I would try to go the new engine with warranty route. Just take pix of every connector and fastener before you undo it, and reverse for the new motor. Surely someone with a little experience can be found to help you out a little.
Posted on: 2009/5/2 14:52

cuisinartvette Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Its a standard 350,anyone can rebuild it. No need to spend big bux on it.
I dont understand why there are so many LTx motors that eat/spin bearings wether they are lo or high milers. Has to be a reason why...
Posted on: 2009/5/2 14:54

pianoguy Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I have contemplated at least pulling and reinstalling the engine myself - I could always rent a hoist. That in itself is a pretty good chunk of change in labor. And both of the shops don't have space to keep the car, so I'd have to tow it over, have them yank the engine, tow it home, and tow it back when the engine is ready, which is a PITA.

I've gotten 2 theories on why there are so many bearing failures. One guy says that he sees it on cars that sit for long periods or aren't driven regularly. He said that the wrist pins seize up a little, which puts more strain on the bearings. Another guy thinks it is the formulation of today's oils. I know one thing, I'll be doing a bunch of research on oil and probably switching from Mobil 1 to something else.

I have been scouring the 'net for a good used engine, but haven't turned up anything yet.

I like this car and had no plans to get rid of it until sometime after my funeral. I was thinking about adding a C5, but those thoughts have evaportated for the time being. So I want an engine that will last - I don't want to cut corners to patch it up, only to have another problem down the road.
Posted on: 2009/5/2 15:10

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

dan0617 Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Buy a shortblock or have yours rebuilt. The LT4 heads are a good casting and are likely in great condition with only 47K miles. Probably just need cleaned up, maybe not even that.

If you are looking to upgrade performance, bump up the compression a little, choose a good cam for your combo/intended uses, and now is the perfect time to put in a higher stall converter if your are an auto or a good clutch if you are a manual. It is also the perfect time to put on a set of LT headers if you can swing it. Install is easy when the engine is out.

Just borrow or rent and engine hoist and the other few specialized tools you will need, and remove the engine yourself. Mostly for engine removal you don't need much for specialized stuff. If you choose a local machine shop to rebuild your shortblock they might loan you a few specialized tools. Take lots of pics before starting and lots along the way. If you forget something you can always look at the pics or post them on here and ask. Put a piece of tape on each wire and hose as you unplug it and write on it where it goes. Get a bunch of coffee cans and as you remove a part, put it's bolts in a can and label it. Will help you with the reassembly. This is what I did the first time and, as long as you take your time and don't hurry anything, you will be glad you did the work and learned your car. You will save tons of money doing the teardown/shortblock removal and install/reassembly yourself. Let the machine shop do the shortblock teardown/machine work/reassembly as that is when most of the specialized tools and equipment and experience is needed.

When I did mine (L98), I tore it down to the shortblock, then unbolted the engine to bellhousing and motor mount bolts. Could get to the upper bolts from above, and I didn't need an engine stand as the car was the engine stand that way. No need to remove hood or radiator, and I unbolted and swung the A/C compressor and freon tank or whatever it is out of the way to save me from having to get it recharged.

Keep us all posted on what you decide to do.
Posted on: 2009/5/2 15:15

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Despite the protests from my old bones, I'm starting to think the best course might be to do as some of you have suggested, to pull the engine myself and tear it down to the short block, and get it rebuilt. My wife said, "Well, that would keep you out of trouble!" Indeed :-P
Posted on: 2009/5/2 16:00

BrianCunningham Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
Its a standard 350,anyone can rebuild it. No need to spend big bux on it.
I dont understand why there are so many LTx motors that eat/spin bearings wether they are lo or high milers. Has to be a reason why...

weak rod bolts
Posted on: 2009/5/2 21:09

PeteK Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

My opinion is that the tighter bearing clearances, and the requirement to run light viscosity oil through them is a factor.
Posted on: 2009/5/2 21:16

redvette6spd Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Guru Newb
Minneapolis
57 Posts

Dang pisser about your car especially in the spring. However make the most out of it 383!!!
I cant justify doing this to my perfect running LT4 now but if/when I here one hint of trouble I'll be in that sucker like stink on shit making more cubes and getting it breathing rite.
No C5's in my future I'm a C4 guy and that's what I'll be doing when the time comes.
I know a couple of the former machinists/builders from TPiS that have machines and flow benches that need exercising in this slow economy if you decide to go in that direction
Posted on: 2009/5/2 21:32

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

redvette6spd wrote:
Dang pisser about your car especially in the spring. However make the most out of it 383!!!
I cant justify doing this to my perfect running LT4 now but if/when I here one hint of trouble I'll be in that sucker like stink on shit making more cubes and getting it breathing rite.
No C5's in my future I'm a C4 guy and that's what I'll be doing when the time comes.
I know a couple of the former machinists/builders from TPiS that have machines and flow benches that need exercising in this slow economy if you decide to go in that direction

Thanks - I'll keep that in mind!

I was out putting up a new mailbox, and a couple of kids were riding by on their bikes - they stopped and said, "Nice Vette!!" I didn't have the heart to tell 'em that it's fubar
Posted on: 2009/5/2 22:01

CentralCoaster Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I would at the very least pull the engine myself. That will save you a big chunk of unskilled labor costs.

If you want to keep the car mobile and do the engine yourself and take your time, I would build a 2nd engine. Then the car is only down for a weekend while doing the swap.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 1:44

flyboy Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Too bad. From the looks of the undercarriage on your car, whoever does the work on it will hardly get his hands dirty. A lot of TLC on that baby. Definitely a keeper. Good luck and I hope your down time is minimal now that the weather has improved.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 2:03

TommyT-Bone Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm reading right along with you Brad. For me, it's only a matter of time till it's my turn. Funny thing about hangin around here. Every few months I'm willing to dig in a little deeper than I dug before. It's probably the supporting statements listed above and knowing you have a place to turn with your questions that makes doing it that much easier. The important thing is that you have options. Now just figure out your options list.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 3:54

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Much as I would've loved to have had a car like mine 20 or 30 years ago, it sure is easier nowadays with so much information and so many resources at your fingertips. I am sure I wouldn't have been able to do half of what I've done on my car without the knowledge of folks who have been kind enough to share their experiences.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 4:31

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

redvette6spd wrote:

That sounds like a promising idea. I have no problem with mechanics who do work on the side, especially if they are skilled....

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/3 11:34

bogus Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I agree with the gang... do the R&R yourself.

Pepboys sells a rather nice engine hoist (Big Red, IIRC) for about $130. Trust me, that's chump change compared to what they will charge you at a shop!

there are only 7 bolts that actually hold an LT1 into the car. However, it's easier to remove the tranny first. So that increases the bolt count.

Get some good jackstands and you are ready to do the hard work. If you don't have airtools, you can expect the removal to take about 8 hours. Perhaps less.

One last thing, if the car still runs, tho poorly, find a local AC shop to purge the freon. You really don't want that venting by accident. It could hurt you and we really don't need the crap in the atmosphere. Even 134 has negative effects.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 11:49

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Step 1 is done - I just ordered a TPiS Happy Hooker - bolts right up to the intake. I've been hunting around for hoists and whatnot - I had my eye on the one Andy mentioned. Can buy it for not much more than it would cost to rent one. I imagine I'll wind up with a few new tools when this is done - probably should put a decent torque wrench on the top of the list, as the HF cheapie I have won't cut the mustard for precise engine work.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 12:49

Josh Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

Good luck with it, it really isn't that hard. It can seem over whelming at first, but just keep at it.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 13:30

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
Step 1 is done - I just ordered a TPiS Happy Hooker - bolts right up to the intake. I've been hunting around for hoists and whatnot - I had my eye on the one Andy mentioned. Can buy it for not much more than it would cost to rent one. I imagine I'll wind up with a few new tools when this is done - probably should put a decent torque wrench on the top of the list, as the HF cheapie I have won't cut the mustard for precise engine work.

I may be assembling a 406, and/0r a 383 in the next month or 2. If I get to mine, before you get to yours, I will snap a bagillion pics to give you some references.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 13:48

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Thanks, Pete! I am hoping to get mine running within a month or so - summer is short enough here already!
Posted on: 2009/5/3 13:58

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

In my area, a month isn't possible. The machinests are usually booked 3-6 months out. The good ones anyway.
Hope things happen quicker in your area.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 14:17

Sweet90 Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Good luck Brad, we will all be rooting for you

Jim
Posted on: 2009/5/3 15:26

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

This is fun already - I'm working on getting a good deal on a Dewitt's radiator. "Honey, this will keep the engine running a little cooler so that maybe this won't happen again." ;-)
Posted on: 2009/5/3 15:39

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
This is fun already - I'm working on getting a good deal on a Dewitt's radiator. "Honey, this will keep the engine running a little cooler so that maybe this won't happen again." ;-)

I love it, Brad. I am doing the same thing, slowly. I've gotten boxes full of parts lately and I just tell the wife "it was too good of a deal to pass up" which is true. I've gotten tons of great parts for cheap. Just build them up til you need them (obviously you need them a little quicker than I do!)

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/3 15:41

Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

There is a new one for sale in the c4 parts section of CF.
Posted on: 2009/5/3 18:59

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

PeteK wrote:
Quote:

pianoguy wrote:

There is a new one for sale in the c4 parts section of CF.

I just bought it ;-)
Posted on: 2009/5/3 20:36

Epimax Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Good Luck Brad!
It sounds like you've got a good gameplan. If (when) something ever happens to mine, I think I'll give it a go myself. I would never contemplate doing this without all the resources and help here on the forum though.
Also, the feeling of accomplishment once it's up and running would have to be off the scale! (Not to mention all the $$ saved in the process!)

Looking forward to updates!!
Posted on: 2009/5/4 10:05

C4FUN Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Guru Newb
Lost in San Diego
31 Posts

At the risk of giving bad advice, I'm just going to throw this out there and let the real Gurus correct me. I'll preface this by saying that I've yet to tear into my Corvette, so I don't even know if you can sneak the pan off, even if you disconnect the engine mounts and lift it a little. Here goes: If your oil pressure hasn't completely fallen off and if the rod knocking isn't too bad and changes under a slight load, it's possible that you can apply a band-aid over the weekend that will get you through the summer while you build a mighty mouse on a stand next to your car. You can pull one spark plug wire at a time or use a short length of garden hose as a stethoscope with one end held to your ear and the other to the engine to isolate the offending cylinder. If you pull that rod cap and the journal isn't galled badly, you may be able to clean any small burrs that are above the o.d. of the rod journal with strips of emmory (another typo?) and place a new bearing on it and run it for some time. It's not permanent, but with so few miles on your car and if you're willing to baby it while you build the monster, it might be worth the gamble on checking it out. There's my 2.5 cents of bad advice for the day.

I just edited this because it was a little too vague. Either way, best of luck.
Posted on: 2009/5/5 3:17

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Certainly food for thought! "Mighty Mouse" reminded me of a friend who many years ago had a sweet '55 2-door post with a built small block, and it had a cartoon of Mighty Mouse on the fender ;-)
Posted on: 2009/5/5 6:08

SpectatorRacing Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Man, $5K to fix a stock LT1? That should be illegal. I know a guy who has about 40 LT1 motors that he sells for about $500 apiece, pan to pump. They're B-body motors so you have to swap your cam and heads on, but the rest is the same. I ran one for a season before I built the 383.

I don't suppose you have a buddy that lives nearby that's done motor work before, do you? My first motor job was overseen by a friend of mine that has done it all his life (as a hobby). It turns out that most of your questions are easily answered, but it's nice to hear it from someone who's been there before.

To echo what many have said, it's intimidating until you get the motor out. Then you start looking at it and realize it's no different than any other job. You take parts off to expose more parts underneath.

Take your time, label everything as you go (I like to group all my nuts and bolts and related small parts into ziploc bags and label them as I remove them), take pictures, and be thorough. Torque everything to spec as you put it back on.

Although it's a shit-ton of work, the knowledge you gain will be invaluable.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 18:25

CSS996 Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Thought I would mention that one "shit-ton" of work is equal to two regular tons of work, and probably has something to do with the fact that you can put two pounds of shit in a one pound bag.

Back to technical... While I believe I've read this whole thread, I don't remember reading about performance upgrades other than forged parts. If I did all of the work you're about to do, I sure would want to feel an extra 15-20+ more HP when I was done. Anything in the works that will do that while maintaining your goal of durability?
Posted on: 2009/5/6 19:17

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Yeah, I'm thinking about a HotCam and maybe some moderate port work. It's funny, I never really had any real intent to build up the engine, but it just seems like if I spend a bunch of money, I feel like it should come out better than it was before. I like the fact that it is a reasonably economical car to drive (gas-wise, anyway), so I don't want to lose that.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 19:29

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Posted on: 2009/5/6 19:44

pr0zac Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i got 25mpg with a 230/236 cam and 4.10's
Posted on: 2009/5/6 20:38

BrianCunningham Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

SpectatorRacing wrote:
I know a guy who has about 40 LT1 motors that he sells for about $500 apiece, pan to pump. They're B-body motors so you have to swap your crank and heads on, but the rest is the same. I ran one for a season before I built the 383.

You should post the contact information.

a lot of people would be interested in them.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 20:42

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

that crate engine looks like a decent deal. i have bought quite a few parts from that place. no problems or mix ups..
Posted on: 2009/5/6 21:01

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

on the caprice motor its the crank HUB and heads that are different.. not the crank itself.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 21:02

Guru Newb
Lost in San Diego
31 Posts

Oh boy, stand by for some more of my incoming bad advice. But, by the time you go through your existing cylinder heads including the porting costs, it may pencil out to just sell your low mile heads and use that money to go towards an aftermarket pair. The difference may not be that great depending on the porting $. You let them know which cam and rocker ratio you intend on using, and they'll do the math and send you out new heads set up and ready for you. I know it's a slippery slope financially, and it's even worse when you feel like you're under the gun to get your car back on the road.

The only thing I don't like about mail order engines is if for some reason you have a problem, dealing with a stranger from out of town could turn into a nighmare. About 15-20 years ago I drove to Los Angeles to have Speed-O-Motive do a Rat for me. It turned out fine, but the 4+ hour round trip each time was even too far for my liking. If it turned south I don't even know what options you'd have with someone from out of state. I'm just guessing, but I'll bet the majority of people that leave feedback on Ebay engines leave it when they receive it, not when they actually run it. I'm a skeptic though, so take it with a grain of salt. If you could find a local guy with a good reputation, that would be best. The local racers know who to use, and more importantly who NOT to use. Sorry for the long winded gibberish =)
Posted on: 2009/5/6 21:24

Guru Newb
Lost in San Diego
31 Posts

I stand corrected, PrOzac is a happy customer of the same place.
Posted on: 2009/5/6 21:27

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

let the man do what he wants and not turn this in to a aftermarket cylinder head advertisement
Posted on: 2009/5/6 21:39

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

What do you think about this option? What kind of step backward from the LT4 short block would I be taking - mainly in the area of how much the differences in the crank, pistons, etc. contribute to the differences in RPM range? Certainly would be easier on the pocketbook:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBa ... iewItem&item=250417044231
Posted on: 2009/5/7 3:35

TommyT-Bone Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

JMO .... I'm still leaning toward a local shop. with your motor, fixing what needs fixing. You know what you have and you'll trust what you have because your very familiar with it. You can still do a few things to up the output if you so choose. It's cheaper to keep her. Just cut back a little on the steak and lobster this summer and you'll be fine.
Posted on: 2009/5/7 3:55

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
What kind of step backward from the LT4 short block would I be taking

I dunno. Sorry I'm not an engine expert. Here is a list of the differences.

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/5/7 13:36

Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I've seen the grandsportregistry info. I was reading some threads on one of the camaro forums, where they're saying the lt4 short block is overrated, blah, blah, blah. Could be very true. I just happened to find that block and thought it might be a viable way to get my car on the road fairly quickly and cheaply, but I don't have enough background to know if it would be a smart decision. I'd have to believe it's well below the cost of repairing my block and innards, though, and I'd still have mine if I wanted to do something with it down the road.
Posted on: 2009/5/7 13:48

SpectatorRacing Re: Engine advice - WWCGD?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

Quote:

pr0zac wrote:
on the caprice motor its the crank HUB and heads that are different.. not the crank itself.

Whoops, I meant the CAM and heads, not the crank. The crank hub isn't different, as far as I know. I used my harmonic balancer on the B-body motor.

I can give the guy's number to people, but I doubt he'd be willing to ship the motors. He has them all in a warehouse somewhere (in Michigan). Probably not worth his hassle, but if anyone is local you could get a steal.
Posted on: 2009/5/7 17:22

Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

the balancer will fit on the hub. its just puts the balancer at a different distance from the front of the motor. i know this from expirience.
Posted on: 2009/5/10 23:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.