Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
194 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Dana 44
This references the rear differential.

The Dana 36 was the smaller unit. It was used on all 1984 Corvettes, and all automatic Corvettes thru 1996...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

biggrizzly Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I have been a huge fan of Satellite radio since its first inception and said then that it would be a good investment. Well, that proved correct and then very wrong. Currently shares are in the toilet around .83/share and they are in trouble to the point of losing their listing on NASDAQ.
Would it be wise to buy stock now or they out of the loop with the widespread use of iPods, iPhone, portable devices and cell phone music players? Is Satellite Radio dying?
Posted on: 2010/3/21 17:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

BrianCunningham Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I have XM free for a year in the truck

I never listen to it.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 18:02

Aboatguy Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
I have XM free for a year in the truck

I never listen to it.

I'll add to Brian's statement........it was free in the G8 and we never even activated it...(GM even sent a couple notices to get us to activate it)
Posted on: 2010/3/21 18:09

biggrizzly Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
4543 Posts

Just curious, why did you not even try it out?
or in Brian's case why don't you listen?

I have had SIRIUS for years and last year when we bought the Malibu we got 6 months for free. It beats the heck out of regular radio. However I do listen to the local news radio in the morning to hear any traffic problems. Although SIRIUS even has a local traffic and weather station for major cities that is so/so.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 18:25

TommyT-Bone Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I have XM in two vehicles. My wife listens all the time. In my Yukon I mainly listen on road trips. Hardly worth the expense. I might even drop it next year after having it for about 6 years. It's about $250 for both trucks. Maybe I'll take the savings and go away for a weekend.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:01

BrianCunningham Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Yoo still have commercials kit
You Dont get local news
Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:13

biggrizzly Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
4543 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Yoo still have commercials kit
You Dont get local news

hhhmmm... I don't have commercials other than XM Station ID on the channels I listen to... or maybe I'm zoning out. Nonetheless its nothing like regular radio. If you live near a major metro area like I do we get a Washington DC / Baltimore weather and traffic station.

I'm not trying to sell this, I'm just curious why its bombing so hard when to me it is clearly better than regular radio.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:36

Durango_Boy Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

We had it free in the Saab when we bought it...only for a few months though. While we had it we only found one...maybe two stations, that even appealed to us, and even then they cycled through the same 20 songs.

The only upside was that I found a sports channel that let me listen to a Ram's game from state to state without me having to change stations every 50 miles just to keep up with the game.

Hardly worth it. I enjoy radio, CDs, and eventually I'll introduce portable media devices into the car.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:47

4543 Posts

Ok, then why doesn't Sirius/XM listen to their customers and the public and supply the programming they want? Licensing issues perhaps? or is it just poor management?
Posted on: 2010/3/21 19:53

pr0zac Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

i had bought a handful of shares when it was at $.55 and it went up to $1.18. i was seriously kicking myself in the ass for not getting more but couldn't really afford it at the time. i sold it on way back down from its recent peak for $1.05 or somewhere around there..
Posted on: 2010/3/21 20:38

tjpreul Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

They have a lot of debt that will be due in the next few years. Didn't they do a reverse split to increase the price about a year ago, so they wouldn't be removed.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 21:00

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

Ultraman Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

I am a Chevy guy and have XM in all the vehicles. I like the sports aspect of it and like the formats for the 40's 50's 60's music you can listen to. I like the fact that I can drive all over and never lose signal. I would not buy a car or truck without it, due to the fact that we live and work in the boonies where regular AM or FM can be hard to get or at least a station you want to listen to. I really like it on my Harley. I don't own an Ipod or even want to. I'm thinking FM radio is the one in trouble.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 21:11

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Vetron87 Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

My wife's 010 Fusion Sport has Sirius/XM for a year. Great variety of genre especially driving reports from the big cities and comedy. I don't think it will fade away, too much money invested in infra structure to let it die. Would be a great educational platform. After saying that we listen to local stations 90% of the time. Traffic reports are neat considering Granger Indiana the report might be a cow is on state road 23 or rogue pig on the loose latest was a painter lost his load of 9 - 5 gal. containers of egg shell white, it was snowing out and the roads were white anyway. Amish guy noticed his horse and buggy were white and stayed white. No Amish drive by with that buggy
Posted on: 2010/3/21 23:27

Matatk Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

I don't think it will die. If it does, it will be a slow death. But it sure didn't take off like they wanted - hence XM and sirius merged. My BIL had it in his G35 for a while and I liked it. Not enough to buy it, but it was nice.

If I were in the market now, I'd get an HD radio - like radio but with more free stations.
Posted on: 2010/3/21 23:41

bogus Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

We have it in both vehicles. I personally love it. The signal is always good and the selection works for me.

I am pretty much addicted to Radio Margaritaville... and we always listen to the sports stations....

It's in our rental, too.

I think over time, it will work and survive. Perhaps a change of programming, but that will sort itself out.

As for playlists, we listened to the 90s on 9 and the 80s on 8 coming from Jax to Sebring and rarely heard the same song twice. I don't beleive the 20-song loop is true. Perhaps on the Pulse, which is the latest stuff...

Radio in general is loosing relavancy. The corporate take overs and the anal retentive nature of the FCC has really ruined the freedom that radio used to experience. May Clearchannel rot in hell.
Posted on: 2010/3/22 0:16

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pianoguy Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I got a double on SIRI from a buck to $2 a long time ago, that's about the extent of my experience with satellite radio. Never had it in any of my vehicles.
Posted on: 2010/3/22 2:22

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

TommyT-Bone Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
As for playlists, we listened to the 90s on 9 and the 80s on 8 coming from Jax to Sebring and rarely heard the same song twice. I don't beleive the 20-song loop is true. Perhaps on the Pulse, which is the latest stuff...

Maybe he was listening to The Top 20.
Posted on: 2010/3/22 2:28

Matatk Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

TommyT-Bone wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:

Maybe he was listening to The Top 20.

Yeah, and if he was listening to the top ten it repeated twice as fast!
Posted on: 2010/3/22 2:52

CorvetteBob Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Elite Guru
1409 Posts

I'm sure there's a whole bunch of truckers in this country that like their satellite radio.
Posted on: 2010/3/22 17:21

383tpimachine Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Ipod touch and iphone can access online radio.
satellite radio is dead. why listen to music u dont have control over?
Posted on: 2010/3/22 17:36

SpectatorRacing Re: Opinions on Sirius/XM future viability in the market? Is Satellite radio dying?
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I think it's great, I really can't understand why people prefer old school FM. The only relevant point I heard was the local news issue. I guess I don't care about that because local news in Detroit is a waste of time. It's all sensationalized journalism about murder and crime; I got tired of the radio trying to make me afraid to go outside years ago.

For world news I listen to CNN, for financial news I listen to bloomberg radio. For sports I have at least three ESPN channels.

And of course, the music selection of Satellite is amazing, and when I travel I never have to mess with searching for a new station. And more importantly than all fo those things - there are no commmercials. I listen to about 8 stations, for those of you on Sirius they're 14, 19, 20, 22, 27, etc. Basically the classic rock and current rock stations. The only break between songs is the DJ announcing the next song and sometimes throwing in some inane chatter about how he met the band onee. No advertisements at all.

Lastly, in the morning all Detroit radio has is talk shows about stupid crap like "how to deal with telephone soliciters" or "your cheating spouse". Seriously? People still listen to this drivel? Makes me sick to my stomach. I'd rather have some music.
Posted on: 2010/3/22 20:10

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.