Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
174 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Saw Blades
The wheel style used for most of the C4s existence.

The early saw blades face forward. This means they catch air from the outside and drag it insi...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

tjpreul modification/upgrade
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

What have you done to your car that made the biggest difference, or made you the happiest.
Posted on: 2009/3/4 0:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

bogus Re: modification/upgrade
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20860 Posts

Corsa Exhaust, Hurst Shifter, Stereo, GS Brakes, Koni shocks.

So far, that is...
Posted on: 2009/3/4 1:20

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

pianoguy Re: modification/upgrade
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Hurst shifter, Stainless Works headers and new brakes (drilled/slotted rotors *not a track guy*, ceramic Hawk pads, stainless lines). Oh, and bypassing the CAGS was maybe the best bang-for-the-buck change - I hated that thing.

Ditto on the "so far...."
Posted on: 2009/3/4 1:30

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Durango_Boy Re: modification/upgrade
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

Honestly, my hydraulic brake booster is my favorite though I think my DeWitts aluminum radiator made the biggest difference.

I have a list longer than my...ahem, arm, of things I have done to my car, but those two rank at the top.

I think when my roller 405 is done it'll be the biggest mod.
Posted on: 2009/3/4 2:10

CentralCoaster Re: modification/upgrade
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Keyless entry and Hurst shifter are on the top of my list.
Posted on: 2009/3/4 2:44

TommyT-Bone Re: modification/upgrade
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33808 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:
What have you done to your car that made the biggest difference, or made you the happiest.

Drove it. ___________ _________

Of course, the upgrade is me being in it.
Posted on: 2009/3/4 3:51

BillH Re: modification/upgrade
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Keyless entry w/alarm.
Chambered catbacks, no more resonator, no more mufflers
Hawk HPS
I really like the 6 disc CD changer but it was in the car when I got it.
Posted on: 2009/3/4 13:23

BrianCunningham Re: modification/upgrade
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Big autocross tires/wheels, always gets lots of attention.

I'm sure some of it's thunder will get stolen when the supercharger gets installed
Posted on: 2009/3/4 14:02

kelley Re: modification/upgrade
Guru Newb
thomasville ga
122 Posts

msd opti- new waterpump.- C5 brakes -fixed radio,don`t know why i never turn it on,
Posted on: 2009/3/4 16:01

BeachBum Re: modification/upgrade
Master Guru
751 Posts

Quote:

tjpreul wrote:

If you have an automatic, aside from a new engine, a "good" torque converter that hits your torque curve at the rpm that makes your motor happy is the best modification I have ever done..... you can literally improve your et's from 2 tenths to as much as 5 or 6 tenths dependant on other variables with no other changes.

Put a smile on my face when I was handed my first time slip after the change.....
Posted on: 2009/3/4 17:41

NC Kid Re: modification/upgrade
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

To be honest, nothing...Ive done lots of stuff....but now it's all "worn in", I don't care anymore. it's just "normal". I just ordered me some new interior L.E.D.s...some switches, gauges...interior Redone...nope...none of it is on the "top list". I have yet to really dump any money into the motor. Just for kicks and giggles when I read this, I totaled up all the money that could have been put in the motor out of MY OWN POCKET, in stupid shit I did the past 3 years....

I had 5 tint jobs done in two years...Each tint job cost 200 dollars...That was 1000 dollars. I bought these blue neons that went under the car...a total of 950 dollars was spent on them. Only 150 for the kit, 150 for installation. 650 dollars in replacment BULBS and transformers that went out constantly not to mention that they ****ed up my brakes. Exaust, oh god this is a big one...I had "fake" flows that I bought at REAL price. True duals, cats on/off, muffler eliminators, another set of mufflers, installation, wasted pipe,...Ready for this one? 1300 dollars....Wasted. Could had headers and a nice set of mufflers but instead I got new pipe and new mufflers but still no headers. Wow, the sound system. 1500 dollars for worthless subs that are siting on my bedroom floor right now, not including the time that because of the sucky installation, that I had no radio to listen to for months upon months. I got 4 aftermarket speakers and a CD player...Brushed aluminum interior...bout 350 bucks..It's gone now...Should of gotten CF to start with. Buying cheap parts and remfanufcatured shit from autozone....Master cyldiner, brake booster, alternator, starter, that was about 500 or so dollars...Let websters redo my cooling system. They didn't tighten down a pully so it ripped up my brand new barely had 100 miles on it serpentine belt. Let a jiffy lube change out my brakes. My brake caliiper fell off and ate up my front rim. That was 150 dollars wasted. A radar detector. 100 dollars. Threw it in the garbage awhile back because it half ass worked. 500 dollars to have a new windshield/weatherstrip reinstalled on the front because some kids down teh road thought it would be funny to throw a rock thru my windshield. Couple hundred dollars on rear tires because in highschool I thought it was "cool" to burn my rear tires up to impress everyone with my "powerful" motor. Did I mention, all the dents, dings, cracks, chips, road rash, and other car scars from me driving like a moron thru gravel filled roads? I had a cheap ass alarm system installed which now no longer works, I had my digidash rebuilt twice which was approximatley 700 dollars...and a few other things that I do not care to mention...

Nope, not one bit of it has made me happy now. Wtf was I thinking paying that much on broken leds and tint jobs? Shit, I could have a bitching ass car by now...

Oh and for anyone that doesn't believe the above paragraph, talk to Bogus, he will set you straight........

Oh and just for the record, I am converting interior to LEDs and brakelights ect, due to the fact that they are brighter, last longer, and look nicer...That is something I am proud of but do not consider them on the "top list".
Posted on: 2009/3/4 21:28

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Sheesh. We've all BTDT in some way shape or form.

How did the lighting f*** up the brakes? Or do you mean the brake lights?

Don't go cheap on the LED lights, I've seen some ebay specials installed, half of them didn't even work out of the box, and they were actually dimmer than stock and weren't positioned properly for the fresnel reflector in the taillight lens to work.
Posted on: 2009/3/4 22:09

NC Kid Re: modification/upgrade
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

It was a underbody kit from streetglow.com

The neons ran off a transformer to cause the gas to make the color. i thought the transformer was giving off radiowaves that interferred with the ABS system but when I had them removed, the morones tapped the power supply into the brake power source. I forgot what it was called. Something with an R I believe. Anyway, when the neons went on, it drawed to much power and the brakes would lock up and the pedal pushed back on me so I couldn't stop. The ABS light came on constantly. Oh well, all that mess is gone so it doesn't matter. Lots of wasted time and money on that stuff. The LEDs I have installed so far as great. No problems at all. Very bright, customer service is good as I did get a wrong colored bulb and they second day aired it to me from wyoming free of charge. Brakelights came from ecklers and they are much better than the stock ones.

I do not mess with anything on Ebay period. Corvette vendors or reputable sites only. I don't do any cheap leds, rebuilt parts(unless I know it's rebuilt right! and only choice). I learned going the cheap route cost twice as much.

For led taillights, Ecklers are terrific! For any other LEDs you may want for interior/exterior, go to V-leds.com

Great products, excellent service, site is well organized,...Top place I have dealt with other than Ecklers. Also, www.oznium.com has SOME nice leds but they are mostly aftermarket strips and not replacments like V-leds.
Posted on: 2009/3/4 22:32

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

That's nuts, sounds like the consolidated efforts of a Circuit City tech and a Pep Boys grease monkey.

I'll check out that website.

I've been wanting some LED stuff for my motorcycle to get the attention of blind drivers.
Posted on: 2009/3/4 23:51

flyboy Re: modification/upgrade
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

One of the first changes I made was installing the pre-cat eliminator y pipe. That made a differance I could feel. The TCI "breakaway" T.C. didn't hurt nor did the change to 3.08 gears from the stock 2.59's. The sound from my Flowmaster cat backs put a smile on my face and got rid of the annoying cockpit "drone". I don't think I would have ever gotten used to the way the car reacted whenever the road hiccupped. The R-D cross-frame and camber braces gave the car a much more solid feel.
Posted on: 2009/3/5 2:05

Matatk Re: modification/upgrade
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22811 Posts

Best "technical" upgrade so far - C5 brakes (thanks Jeff!)
Best "cosmetic" upgrade so far - C6 replica rims.

I still have a 3.07 to put in as well as a bunch of intake components. When I find the time, of course. I'm sure those'll make me smile, too

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/3/5 4:08

pianoguy Re: modification/upgrade
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

flyboy wrote:
One of the first changes I made was installing the pre-cat eliminator y pipe. That made a differance I could feel. The TCI "breakaway" T.C. didn't hurt nor did the change to 3.08 gears from the stock 2.59's. The sound from my Flowmaster cat backs put a smile on my face and got rid of the annoying cockpit "drone". I don't think I would have ever gotten used to the way the car reacted whenever the road hiccupped. The R-D cross-frame and camber braces gave the car a much more solid feel.

I neglected to mention the R-D pieces, too, and also the AFSB targa bar - very pleased with how they tightened up my car.
Posted on: 2009/3/5 4:12

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

alan Re: modification/upgrade
Guru Newb
N. Lauderdale, Fl
7 Posts

The first was a B & M ripper shifter, the wife hated it and would no longer want to drive it.
The second was muffler eliminators, too loud for her to ride in. I think it is quieter inside now.
Regrets? only that I didn't do them sooner.
Posted on: 2009/3/6 13:52

Epimax Re: modification/upgrade
Elite Guru
Wilmington, NC
1814 Posts

Best Mod so far would be lowering...and B&B exhaust...

Other than that, replacing the opti/radiator/water pump/hoses/belt/plugs/wires/brakes/wheels/tires/heater core!!! All of that was confidence inspiring stuff!
Posted on: 2009/3/6 15:12

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

These wind deflectors sure made windows down cruising a lot less drafty and a lot more pleasant for me.

Attach file:

jpg  P3060001.JPG (145.42 KB)
1735_49b9b52677e35.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2009/3/13 1:23

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Are those the thick rubber ones similar to oem?

I bought the plastic ones from ecklers awhile back and they were garbage. They had a huge gap to the window and were uneven.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 1:49

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

alan wrote:
The first was a B & M ripper shifter, the wife hated it and would no longer want to drive it.
The second was muffler eliminators, too loud for her to ride in. I think it is quieter inside now.
Regrets? only that I didn't do them sooner.

Gag and handcuffs are cheaper, but sort of taboo I guess.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 1:50

Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

These are from Mid America. It took me a while to get them right. One of the other brands were crap, I sent them back. Corvette Central or Ecklers, I don't remember.
Posted on: 2009/3/13 2:04

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.