Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
306 user(s) are online (258 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Coil over
The term coil over means having a coil spring coaxial with the shock absorber. In terms of a Corvette, it replaces the leaf spring.

[IMG]http:/...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

NC Kid Concealed weapons permit
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Posted on: 2010/9/27 20:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

CentralCoaster Re: Concealed weapons permit
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

But I thought being a psycho was a prerequisite for law enforcement...?
Posted on: 2010/9/27 20:08

rklessdriver Re: Concealed weapons permit
Senior Guru
Woodbridge, VA
1318 Posts

Every states laws are different about CCW qualifications...

Your best bet is to talk to a lawyer and I mean a real lawyer.... NOT a policeman.
Will
Posted on: 2010/9/27 20:21

1972 Corvette. LS5 454 BBC with M20 4 speed.
Best Pass - Doing good to just pass a gas station.

Ultraman Re: Concealed weapons permit
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

You need a permit to carry a concealed weapon??? Holy Cow! My Colt 38 super auto just hit the floor.

I guess my question to you is why do you need to carry? Is it that dangerous where you live and work? Is security bad in your area? I always have something close but not on me which would require a reason for concealing a weapon before the law would give me a permit to carry. Our laws are changing but they will want some kind of profile on those who want to carry and medical will be included.

A.D's do not carry the stigma that they once did but you can bet they will want a profile on that aspect.

When I lived in Montana everyone's pickup truck was like a war wagon. I may be wrong but I thought that if you carried in plain site a gun was legal but after 9-11 that all may have changed. I don't know what to tell you about Criminal Justice. There is a lot of jobs in that field of work.
Posted on: 2010/9/27 21:08

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Matatk Re: Concealed weapons permit
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

CCW laws vary by state. They are 100% illegal in IL unless you are in a loophole of being a security guard on duty or a police officer on or off duty. In Michigan you had to fill out an application and then have a hearing before a county board to determine if you could get one. Some counties were CCW friendly, some were not.

As far as law enforcement goes, you will have to do a psych exam anyway, and disclose any drug use - medical or not. But given the fact that soooo many people are on them nowadays it's not an automatic disqualification, afaik. Plus, it might fall under the American's with disabilities act and then they can't discriminate against you because of it. You'd have to talk to your local agency hiring.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/9/27 21:52

383tpimachine Re: Concealed weapons permit
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

Here in texas you can have a gun as long as its not concealed. If you driving have it sitting in the passenger seat. If you wish to carry have a visible holster.
Posted on: 2010/9/27 21:56

bogus Re: Concealed weapons permit
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

If you wish to be a LEO, you will need to deal with the underlying causes of the depression.

What you need to do is determine if depression is a red flag for law enforcement.

As far as getting a carry permit? Try the internet, I am sure there are forms you can download... The thing you need to worry about would be any forced instutionalizations. IE, the cops bring you in on a 5150 (CA code for mental) and lock you up for 72 hrs...
Posted on: 2010/9/28 0:29

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Vetron87 Re: Concealed weapons permit
Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Indiana recently passed a life CCW license. Background check is intensive. Both my daughter and I have this type of license. I have had a CCW since I was 21 over 40 years ago. There a tremdous amount of responsibility that goes with the CCW permit or license. I only carry when my gut feeling indicates that I'm going into a high crime area or traveling at night. Most of the time my wife is not aware that I'm carrying.
As far as DEA and antidepressants are concerned, anytime you are applying for employment with the Feds there are extensive background checks including medical exam records, x rays, dental, any mental or medical problems plus prescriptions being taken.
Antideppresant drugs have become so prevalent that they may not be an issue. The only time they may become a problem is with US Gov't Top Secret Clearance. Top Secret Clearance takes 6 months to get and can cost the Gov't up to $150K to clear an employee seeking that clearance because of their job with a particular agency.
I worked for the US Gov't after I left the Navy! Interesting process.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 0:38

NC Kid Re: Concealed weapons permit
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Im fasinated by criminal justice. I don't want to prosecute, just catch the bad guys. Im not one to punish, im to nice...

Why would they lock me up? It's hard to explain my condition. I have panic attacks in the past due to high stress and stuff like that. No violent outburst or anything. So yea, how could they lock me up? Don't want that....
Posted on: 2010/9/28 1:07

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Don't worry about it! Everybody has issues. Its how we deal with them that is the key! If a few anti depressant drugs or antianxiety drugs are needed, no big deal. I think at one time or another everybody would love to fight crime! heaven knows there is enough of it. Most of the cops that I know have a drinking problem with underlying hostilty towards people.
Never had panic attacks, anxiety once in a great while my therpy is my Vette, tools, a great wife and daughter and my collie that loves to shit in lawyers(guys a prick)yard by his BMW. Thats funny!
Anyway no one will lock you for feeling the way you feel! Relax, buy something for your Vette! Try not to get in your brain soo much. You would never want to get in mine! there is some bad shit in there
Posted on: 2010/9/28 1:19

cuisinartvette Re: Concealed weapons permit
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

LE is high fn stress for sure. What you deal with outside and inside the office....its how you deal with it as said above.

only your state can tell you yes or no on the permit.

Im going to take the class and get mine, finally get a piece for when I have the 67 out noones taking this one from me period. Little easier for me I heard being as Im already in that field. Well see.

Think long and hard though its a lot of responsibility and not a toy you flash because you have one on you....that can have you sleeping on a 2" foam mat for a long time.

JR Rifle Coach has a good deal of know how on this maybe he can pipe in. Ill be hitting him up when the times right to see what piece would be right for me.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 1:35

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:
Im fasinated by criminal justice. I don't want to prosecute, just catch the bad guys. Im not one to punish, im to nice...

Why would they lock me up? It's hard to explain my condition. I have panic attacks in the past due to high stress and stuff like that. No violent outburst or anything. So yea, how could they lock me up? Don't want that....

NC I think you misread Bogus post. The Code he was referring to, that if you were every arrested under this Code 5150 indicates the person that was booked was showing signs of mental abnormalities. I.E talking to oneself, delussions of grandure, public display, incoherant, lost mentally, innappotaite behavior, pretty intensive list.
That code will follow you during any investigation of your past.
As a teacher in Indiana we can't even have a class D misdeamor during a background check. I.E excessive speed, over 50 mph the posted speed limit! stealing of any kind, or excessive parking tickets.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 1:39

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
LE is high fn stress for sure. What you deal with outside and inside the office....its how you deal with it as said above.

only your state can tell you yes or no on the permit.

Im going to take the class and get mine, finally get a piece for when I have the 67 out noones taking this one from me period. Little easier for me I heard being as Im already in that field. Well see.

Think long and hard though its a lot of responsibility and not a toy you flash because you have one on you....that can have you sleeping on a 2" foam mat for a long time.

JR Rifle Coach has a good deal of know how on this maybe he can pipe in. Ill be hitting him up when the times right to see what piece would be right for me.

I'm glad to read your state has a course you need to take before getting a permit. I have a problem with non experience gun owners carrying a weapon. I have taught a few concealed carry classes. Its amazing that a 98 lb women will buy a 357 Magnum for home protection or a 44 Mag. For concealed carry they buy a Taurus pistol chambered in 45 cal. Does broken wrist mean anything. They will be in shock the first time they discharge their weapon. Sooner or later the reality check kicks in and they chamber their .357 mag in .38 and trade their 45 in for a 380 or 32 ACP.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 1:50

vetteblondie Re: Concealed weapons permit
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

I qualified with a Ruger P85 back in 1995, now have a Gock Model 26, bout to trade it for a SW 40, and no anti-depressants didn't affect my CWP.....
And I agree with Vetron87 - make sure you find an issuer who requires you take some clasroom and field instruction, knowledge is essential.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 2:28

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Mekanic Re: Concealed weapons permit
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Vetron speaks the truth for sure.

I'm a CCW holder for the last 7 years, carry every day. My job brings me to many many questionable places.

I've taught some CCW courses as well as personal and home firearm defense.

I've been around handguns my entire life, and still went through instruction before choosing to carry.

PLEASE don't think I'm being an ass by saying this, but 70% of people I've met who want a CCW, have no reason to need one , and 90% I would not trust with a firearm.

Also, on the note vetron brought up on choosing a weapon, my primary carry piece is a Kel Tec P3AT, and to most I HIGHLY recommend the P32 over it due to excessive muzzle flip, and that's being a large guy with a few hundred thousand rounds under my belt.

When clothing is conducive I ditch the pocket carry and go with a Para Nighthawg. Those are the only 2 out of my 20+ handguns that I will carry concealed.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 2:36

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

When I don't carry a firearm I'll carry a Benchmade 5" Tanto tactical knife. In the truck a carry a Vietnam style combat axe. The Vette has a Glock in .40 cal. I'll carry a .32 Tomcat during night time events.
I have taught a edge weapons class in the past. Seems like the police dept. are more prone to use a tactical baton in an up close situation rather than a knife. I guess I'm a Dinosaur. I still maintain humans hate to get cut, especially if the guy behind the knife knows what he is doing.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 3:10

Steve40th Re: Concealed weapons permit
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:
Indiana recently passed a life CCW license. Background check is intensive. Both my daughter and I have this type of license. I have had a CCW since I was 21 over 40 years ago. There a tremdous amount of responsibility that goes with the CCW permit or license. I only carry when my gut feeling indicates that I'm going into a high crime area or traveling at night. Most of the time my wife is not aware that I'm carrying.
As far as DEA and antidepressants are concerned, anytime you are applying for employment with the Feds there are extensive background checks including medical exam records, x rays, dental, any mental or medical problems plus prescriptions being taken.
Antideppresant drugs have become so prevalent that they may not be an issue. The only time they may become a problem is with US Gov't Top Secret Clearance. Top Secret Clearance takes 6 months to get and can cost the Gov't up to $150K to clear an employee seeking that clearance because of their job with a particular agency.

There is another forum stating TS clearance only costs about 3000 dollars. Interesting huh. I thought my TS was a little more than that, and people even came to friends and families houses to interview them about me.
I personally wouldnt want a concealed license. I would rather the deterrence of a gun hanging out for all to see.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 3:47

JrRifleCoach Re: Concealed weapons permit
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

As we write, I'm waiting for my CCW to clear Sac. Could be 4-6 months.

My psych test was primarily based on how I'd react to the critical moment; when to not draw or draw my weapon.
Its a tough question because you must decide, when you are in danger and then if an option is available to retreat.

There was a point where "meds" and "permanent record" were in question. Seems my need for daily aspirin and speeding tickets are not enough to raise any flags.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 4:37
As democracy is perfected, the POTUS represents more closely the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a fool and narcissistic moron.

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Hell, when I went to work for the Delaware State Police, as a civilian employee, no less, I had to answer a 12 page questionaire, submit the names of 6 ppl I have known for over 5 years and a list of 6 ppl I have known for 1 year.

Plus... all living peer relatives - parents, brothers, sisters, wife, inlaw.

And current credit histories, any bankrupties, things of that nature.

Prior supervisors and things of that nature... this isn't a reference check, yo.

Then turn the entire package over to a DSP trooper, who reviews, then conducts an interview with me as the final step.

Yup.

Before he talked to me, he called all the ppl I put on the list, save one, and I will explain that later.

He met in person with my brother Roy and his wife, Caroline. She did all the talking, Roy was dying from brain cancer... his communication skills took a real shit there... sniff...

He then met with my Mom, at home. I didn't find out about it until after he and I spoke. Did learn that Mom found him to be very professional and exceptionally pleasant to work with.

Now... Do you know what he was after?

One simple thing... CONSISTANCY. If everyone said the same basic things about me, it showed a consistant and predictable personality. Now... if the consistancy showed I was unstable, that's another story...

That one person he was never able to talk to was a friend named Tracy. She was an atty in the DC area, so they constantly played phone tag. She finally left him a short voice mail with her basic take on me, he called her back and indicated something to the effect of "yup, that fits, thanks, we are ok!"

Oh, and don't forget the fingerprint check, local and FBI.

And yes... ppl fail this background all the time. And yes, this is chump change compared to what Troopers go through.

Just so the genpop knows, I did pass with flying colours... and for some of you who didn't know, this is why I sometimes start sounding like a cop!
Posted on: 2010/9/28 4:38

BillH Re: Concealed weapons permit
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

I'm glad to read your state has a course you need to take before getting a permit. I have a problem with non experience gun owners carrying a weapon.

Most of them can't drive either.

A class is mandatory here too, good thing.

I haven't bothered with a CCW because here it's legal to have the weapon loaded under your seat.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 14:02

pappyfreebird Re: Concealed weapons permit
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

chit wes posed to have sum kinda permit ta carry yer pistolee? well nc yer right in many ways bro on the anti dep..fug the docs hand that chit out like candy,,you have sum of the same issues i have n in mn it ain evin in the questions (do you take antis etc i mean) does ask ifn been locked up fer mental health issues,,but panic n depression ain the same chit as lock up mental chit..less dep gotchya bad enuff ya tried ta hurt yerself..takes balls yer right ta state i have dep n panics..sum nevar kin unnerstand them feelings less been there..they ain no fun bruthas..pts is top cause n that of nawt no reason...but should be allowed ta carry..stress is when sum fug is bearin down on yer azz wid his piece n you ain got yers wid ya,,panic dayum straight bro...good luck n knowd theres a few ol rednecks deal wid same chit..i call it winta blues n dont like meds..so gotsta use brain power happy happy joy joy brutha simple lil stress thoughts kin werk wunnars,,ifn nawt go outside n pop a few caps at the joggars.wahahahaha jus kiddin on that rednecks...
Posted on: 2010/9/28 15:12

TommyT-Bone Re: Concealed weapons permit
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

I'm with pappy. I have to beat the blues with the happy, happy joy, joy stuff too. I understand the chemical imbalances. I tried to correct it with meds off the street and booze. There is nothing wrong with a little doctor ordered dopamine stimulation or other synapse altering chemicals that can give you a good shot of the feel goods. It's much better if you can do it on your own. Doctors today are drug dealers for the phamaceutical corporations. They have access to all the best shit. Your local pharmacy is your street level dealer. Lots of money to be had in the drug racket both legally and illegally. There are educational alternatives that you can still work in criminal justice and not have to carry a weapon. At least I think there are. Talk to a school counsellor.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 15:36

NC Kid Re: Concealed weapons permit
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Posted on: 2010/9/28 15:48

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

Steve40th wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

There is another forum stating TS clearance only costs about 3000 dollars. Interesting huh. I thought my TS was a little more than that, and people even came to friends and families houses to interview them about me.
I personally wouldnt want a concealed license. I would rather the deterrence of a gun hanging out for all to see.

The last time I checked the Gov't had close to 150K with time effort and follow up .With no less then 6 agents checking and rechecking plus interviews. I'm really surprised its not more.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 16:00

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

you ain gotsta defend chit bro,,, ive came cross a few when say post tramatic n kin have panics they look at ya like a freak er that youll spaze n flop er sum chit,,i have .5 ativan have had it fer 5 er betta yrs but nevar ate one..did do the celexa fer dep. but dint like the boggie feelin (plus made my spellin all lawyer like wahahahahaa... so yous jus take the chit when the panic hits heyhuh..a bro does same,, when feels (wud i call the freakies )he takes zanax? n mellows his sensitized nerves..me fug the 1st one i dint know wtf n made it evin werse..mo ya kin learn how its caused er wud makes us react etc is betta,,then kin awmost say aw fug here we go...have yer dr holl yer hand n say ya have less then 6 months ..chit i r dayum glad he were wrong,,needless ta say i ain to fond a drs no mo...again thou this chit dont have effect on weapons huntin ccw in mn...but wud do i know i jus push the olady out there n yell fug here do wud ya want ta her jus leave me alone n run off screamin a high pitched scream!!! be good bruthas
Posted on: 2010/9/28 16:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:
Let me clear this up. I am not in danger of being locked up. I take 0.5 mgs of Klonopin for panic attacks. Alot of my immediate family takes meds for panic attacks. Guess it's just prone to our family? My grandfather, grandmother, mother, all 3 sisters, me, both uncles, ect....Anti depressant well...it's only Cymbalta so it's nothing major.

I choose not to drink because I don't want it to affect my meds or cause harm internally to me. I know, sounds babyfied but I don't eat the greatest(Love greasy burgers and fries), so adding alchohol to the list...nahh, that I can do without.

I also just got a pm from a member about dealing with panic attacks. Thank you very much for the information. I tried to pm you back but it said page can not be displayed.

You are hung up on this locked up thing... I never said you were even in the ball park.

What I was referring to is IF you had such a forced instutionalization. Not that you DID or that you WILL. Only if you DO.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 19:17

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

As a teacher in Indiana we can't even have a class D misdeamor during a background check. I.E excessive speed, over 50 mph the posted speed limit! stealing of any kind, or excessive parking tickets.

Clearly someone who doesn't pay their parking meter is not qualified to teach our youth.
Posted on: 2010/9/28 20:33

Ultraman Re: Concealed weapons permit
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14746 Posts

Those anxiety disorders and other stuff run in families. They are emotional problems that can be delt with on numerous levels. They are not considered mental illness. Meds can help but counseling is very effective and there are several great self help programs available for the stress and anxiety problems a lot of folks deal with in our over the top lives. Everybody's got something that gets to them sooner or later.

For me it's flying. The thought of being locked into that cattle car at 35K feet for hours makes me sweat bullets. I had to face the issue when my kids started living in other parts of the country. So it's 3 days driving or 3 hours in the air. I don't drink anymore so doing a half bottle of Jack in the lounge at 6 am isn't going to work for me. My Doc suggested something to help me relax and now I get on the damn things and go. I didn't want to miss out on my life because I had a fear of flying. Now I kinda like it. Especially when I get off and I see palm trees and smell the ocean.

Get out and get going Kid don't let anything stop you!
Posted on: 2010/9/28 21:40

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Vetron87 wrote:
Quote:

Clearly someone who doesn't pay their parking meter is not qualified to teach our youth.

Indiana is really strict on their teachers and background! This is a state that 40 years ago if a woman was pregnant and started to show they went on materinty leave. When I went through the process back in the day I had problems because the US Navy would not release what I did in the Navy and the fact I was still in the Navy Reserves left the state in a dilema. The Navy sent a JAG Officer to finish my background check. I didn't learn this until years later.
Posted on: 2010/9/29 1:14

flyboy Re: Concealed weapons permit
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Attach file:

jpg  P1010002.JPG (143.72 KB)
1735_4ca2b542acf16.jpg 640X480 px
Posted on: 2010/9/29 3:41

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

When I went through the process back in the day I had problems because the US Navy would not release what I did in the Navy and the fact I was still in the Navy Reserves left the state in a dilema. The Navy sent a JAG Officer to finish my background check. I didn't learn this until years later.

So you tortured small 3rd-world children for intelligence gathering, totally understandable.

I just get the uneasy feeling that the people tasked with executing this process are overpaid and underwhelming. It'd be more effective to just go undercover and share some beers and burgers with the guy trying to get the permit. And it'd only cost taxpayers a case of pilsner and gas money.
Posted on: 2010/9/29 5:53

Elite Guru
Granger, Indiana
1988 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

Vetron87 wrote:

When I went through the process back in the day I had problems because the US Navy would not release what I did in the Navy and the fact I was still in the Navy Reserves left the state in a dilema. The Navy sent a JAG Officer to finish my background check. I didn't learn this until years later.

So you tortured small 3rd-world children for intelligence gathering, totally understandable.

I just get the uneasy feeling that the people tasked with executing this process are overpaid and underwhelming. It'd be more effective to just go undercover and share some beers and burgers with the guy trying to get the permit. And it'd only cost taxpayers a case of pilsner and gas money.

No children Kevin just assholes. I like your idea about burgers and beer.
Posted on: 2010/9/29 12:29

movnviolation Re: Concealed weapons permit
Guru Newb
Hesperia, Calif
188 Posts

I am retired 31 yr. Law enforcement. My opinion is the CCW is overated. Havent carried in years. I usually have a 45 in the car that we are in. More people are carrying weapons in their cars today than you know, especially when they have their families and are traveling.
I have always encouraged my friends to have something in their cars. Most people who abide by the laws have never had their cars searched and So Calif is turning into an arm pit.
Just my thought.
Posted on: 2010/9/29 13:01

Senior Guru
1028 Posts

i like yer advice ultramayun.
Posted on: 2010/9/29 13:02

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.