Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
267 user(s) are online (214 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  Regular Production Order
Commonly known as RPO. These are the codes that GM uses to identify options.

For example, LT1 is the RPO for the engine used from 1992-1996.

Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

patsfan05488 Wreck the Vette today
Guru
229 Posts

Well a lawn mower got the best of a C4 today. I was driving down US route 7 ( speed limit of 50) when A guy driving a industrial lawn mower for a landscaping company decided to cross the 2 lane road and not see me coming or decide not to look. I ended up broadsiding the mower and the guy. He ended up hitting @ my drivers bumper rolling over the hood busting the windshield on the passenger side and landing on the side of the road. It appears that he'll be fine ( thank god ). He was fortunate I was in my vette and not one of the other cars because I think he would be in really bad shape or dead if the bumper was any higher. The damage looks to be fixable but I don't know what Allstate is going to say. The bumper appears to be shot and kinda tucked under the car. The hood is shattered and banged up. One head light is gone and the other doesn't look in the best of shape. The windshield is smashed and the airbag deployed. The tire was rubbing on something when it was being driven of the flatbed. The hood wouldn't release to let me see under it but i gotta think something must have been pushed around. There was no antifreeze so it didn't bust the radiator though. I almost forgot that hood damaged the door a bit also.

Any-1 have a guess what the insurance company is going to do? I was going to take pictures but the battery in the digital camera was dead. I did take video of the damage but its not done transferring to YouTube yet. As soon as its done I'll post it.

What a awful day but @least every-one is alive ,

PatsFan
Posted on: 2008/9/25 23:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

biggrizzly Re: Wreck the Vette today
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Oh Man, that sucks so bad. I'm glad you and the other guy are ok.
Posted on: 2008/9/25 23:56

happydad Re: Wreck the Vette today
Senior Guru
northern Ill
151 Posts

Are You Kidding!!!!! What a Asshat..What Did The cops say or do??? Thank God No one was hurt...
Posted on: 2008/9/25 23:56
86 Coupe,350 bored .040 over,Eagle Internals,Scorp RR.Crane Cam,Hedman Hedders,Holley Mani,TCI Trans,3:73 Rear, Demon Carb ,Hole in the hood Scooped and Lots of leaks(Horsepower) I forget :thumbleft:

patsfan05488 Re: Wreck the Vette today
Guru
229 Posts

Cops didn't do much and really didn't ask allot of questions. I was kinda discouraged about it actually. They didn't say who was @ fault but i can't see how it could have been me. I hit the brakes when he started crossing but it was just to close to stop or avoid.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 0:02

CentralCoaster Re: Wreck the Vette today
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Hard to say without pics, but those fiberglass damages can really add up.

Glad everyone's okay. Maybe he'll learn something from this.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 0:53

Matatk Re: Wreck the Vette today
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

#1 and most important: everyone's ok. People (not saying you) seem to neglect that fact sometimes.

#2: sucks about the car.

Hope it all works out. I'd like to see the pics/video when you get it available.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/9/26 1:05

Guru
229 Posts

Here's a link to the video o the damage. I don't take many videos so bare with the quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CqGCqcmVwg
Posted on: 2008/9/26 2:01

Touringmike Re: Wreck the Vette today
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Wow, that's sad to see.

Glad everybodys' OK, but I'd bet the guy you hit is sore, big time.

From what you said, I would think your insurance would go after his insurance to get the car back to the way it was.
(That's if you have collision and comprehensive coverage).

Good luck, sorry again to see that damage.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 2:13

TommyT-Bone Re: Wreck the Vette today
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Hope it all works out. Doesn't look too bad. Good luck on the insuranse. The other guy is lucky to be alive.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 2:13

1Fast04Vert Re: Wreck the Vette today
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Quote:

Touringmike wrote:
Wow, that's sad to see.

Glad everybodys' OK, but I'd bet the guy you hit is sore, big time.

From what you said, I would think your insurance would go after his insurance to get the car back to the way it was.
(That's if you have collision and comprehensive coverage).

Good luck, sorry again to see that damage.

I agree with all of the above. The airbags deploying is a major factor in the insrance companies decision to repair or total. Sure looks repairable, but expensive.

Glad you are OK, same for the other guy.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 2:20

Guru
229 Posts

I hope they do end up fixing it. I have full coverage so I'm not worried about getting it taken care by one of the companies ( his or mine ). The car will know be worth less no mater what happens because of it being in a accident though which stinks.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 2:29

pianoguy Re: Wreck the Vette today
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Man, that sucks! But the most important thing is that everybody is OK. Hope they do right by you to get it back the way it was.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 3:20

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

How are we going to get the hood open? It's shifted back and there's no way the latches are coming out without a fight. Assuming the hood is even salvageable...
Posted on: 2008/9/26 3:56

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Did his head bust the windshield?
Posted on: 2008/9/26 3:57

bogus Re: Wreck the Vette today
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Glad all is ok... a few thoughts:

1. Was the lawn mower a business? If so, I would push for a citation from the police. The scene should validate where he was when the impact occured. You see, businesses should carry liability insurance.

2. If he is a homeowner and mowing his own lawn, then home owners should cover it.

3. If he was mowing lawn for a friend, gratis, then the home owners should cover it.

As for damage, I am guessing about $6k. The hood is going to need replaced and I am not sure what is going on under the hood... the front bumper is toast... and the headlight is gone.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 4:03

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Video carnage - like a train wreck - you don't want to look, but have to.

I hope you get what you want. If you want it repaired, then more power to you. If they total it, take the coin and buy another.

Good luck,

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/9/26 11:41

red_johnny Re: Wreck the Vette today
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Sad to hear but I am glad everyone is ok. My dad mows lawns and he is pretty good about checking all directions before going into the street.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 12:14

CSS996 Re: Wreck the Vette today
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear about all this. If you can get a check for another, you might be in better shape down the road.

Glad everyone is alright. I sure do hate to see a rare color car like that get munched.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 15:02

BrianCunningham Re: Wreck the Vette today
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Remember, even if it's totalled, you can buy it back from the insurance company.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 18:18

DaleD Re: Wreck the Vette today
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Man, that really, really sucks.
Glad no one was killed. That mower guy should be thanking God today.

Good luck with your car. It was a beauty.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 18:45

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:
Remember, even if it's totalled, you can buy it back from the insurance company.

do this with caution. A lot will depend upon hidden damage.

Vette mag a few years back was doing a resto mod on an 87. It got clocked and the front end was pretty banged up. The killer? A $20k estimate to fix the frame.

Forget about it.
Posted on: 2008/9/26 23:21

NC Kid Re: Wreck the Vette today
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Vette mag a few years back was doing a resto mod on an 87. It got clocked and the front end was pretty banged up. The killer? A $20k estimate to fix the frame.

Forget about it.

My frame was bent and the body shop would not touch it. They said it's to much work to tear it down and work back up. Said it would be unsafe as well. Guess they feared that they may miss a spot and it cause a accident later down the road?....Even buying it back and stripping it for parts would be a hassle...It's totaled. Bumper is 500, hood a couple grand, throw in paint and labor at minium and take in the age and KBB's worth of the car in todays time? Insurance will write you a check, scrap it and recoup a little of what they would have lost......
Posted on: 2008/9/26 23:49

Guru
229 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have called my Attorney to explain the situation in-case the operator of the mower tries to sue. I also left the reporting officer a Voicemail this morning but have yet to hear back from him. i really don't feel I got the time to explain to him what happened and want the opportunity to do so.

I just hope everything all works out ok and I truly feel the operator was in the wrong all the way around.
Posted on: 2008/9/27 0:13

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

NC Kid wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Forget about it.

My frame was bent and the body shop would not touch it. They said it's to much work to tear it down and work back up. Said it would be unsafe as well. Guess they feared that they may miss a spot and it cause a accident later down the road?....Even buying it back and stripping it for parts would be a hassle...It's totaled. Bumper is 500, hood a couple grand, throw in paint and labor at minium and take in the age and KBB's worth of the car in todays time? Insurance will write you a check, scrap it and recoup a little of what they would have lost......

they were totaling C4s with similar damage when they were nearly new. It was the bain of C4 ownership for a LONG time.
Posted on: 2008/9/27 0:50

Schrade Re: Wreck the Vette today
Elite Guru
eastern NC / e-i-e-i-o
1909 Posts

Quote:

BrianCunningham wrote:

Right answer.

How much work, not only mods, but MAINTENANCE TOO, do you have in this car?

If it was tight before, and you know how good condition it was in, buy it back, and repair it, WITH VIDEO OR PIC DOCUMENTATION.
Posted on: 2008/9/29 2:49

Resized Image

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

As for damage, I am guessing about $6k. The hood is going to need replaced and I am not sure what is going on under the hood... the front bumper is toast... and the headlight is gone.

Posted on: 2008/9/29 3:16

CorvetteArchives Re: Wreck the Vette today
Guru Newb
65 Posts

That guy sure got lucky! Seems the windshield absorbed the impact.
Ironicly just saw that episode of Manswers on how to survive being hit by car at 40 MPH..jump.... roll onto hood and put shoulder to windshield.

Maybe YOU should sue HIM for replacement cost, time etc. He caused the accident! Mower shouldnt be in road...period!
Posted on: 2008/9/30 18:38

Danspeed1 Re: Wreck the Vette today
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

Sorry to hear about what happened. I saw the pictures of the car when it wasn't damaged on "the other site." It was a really clean car!

This is the way I see it. First off, its only a car. Its a good thing the guy didn't crash through the windshield and kill you. That happens. Cars are replaceable, people are not. And thank god you didn't kill him, because although you may be pissed right now, its only because he is alive. You would have felt really bad if you killed him.

As for the car Its definitely fixable, but at what cost. The cars already over 10 years old, and you were looking for a C5 anyway. I would let them total it, pay you off, and move on to something different. Variety is the spice of life after all!

Good luck,... keep us posted,

Dan
Posted on: 2008/9/30 19:37
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

vetteblondie Re: Wreck the Vette today
Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

I'm a little late here, but my C4 is currently at the body shop. My total for damages came in just under $7,000.
I was rear-ended by an F150, then pushed up underneath a Nissan Frontier. I will need a new front support, front bumper, rear bumper, exhaust, hood, entire car repainted, headlight assemblies, and then some. No frame damage. They are stronger than you think, but all depends on the hit and/or angle of the hit. All insurance companies are different. Some total at 50% others higher. My company I think totals at 70%. My adjuster went to justcorvettes.com and found everything I needed there and based her estimate on that.
Here are some pics of mine in this thread....
http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... =ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0
Posted on: 2008/9/30 20:34

Yes, I'm a bitch... just not YOURS.

Resized Image

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

most insurance companies total at 80% these days. Seriously.

There is no money in it, otherwise.

An ex-gf had a Mazda Miata, 1996. In 1998, it was rear ended by a small Ford Ranger p/u. They fixed it... about $9k after rental car... and it was never straight again... the hard top didn't quite fit right.

As I said to the body man, "I pity the fool that gets hit in that car again." his reply? "yup. I can only do so much..."
Posted on: 2008/10/1 2:19

Jeffvette Re: Wreck the Vette today
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
My total for damages came in just under $7,000.

My adjuster went to justcorvettes.com and found everything I needed there and based her estimate on that.

Using used parts it totaled 7,000. Damn.
Posted on: 2008/10/1 3:41

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

yea, I was kinda thinking the same thing... double it with NOS.
Posted on: 2008/10/1 5:19

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

I'd rather have a used body part as opposed to an aftermarket one for fitting issues, however, I took the money she alloted for the hood and spent it elsewhere, got the high rise from Toledo Pro, and for the exhaust she allowed me $650, and I can get Magnaflow, resonator back installed for that, so that's the route I took.
$7k sounds like a lot but it really tore up a bunch of stuff, body parts, underneath supports, entire repainting, headlight assemblies are expensive also. The car was not 'totaled' that was just the final amount....
Posted on: 2008/10/1 18:51

Resized Image

Guru
229 Posts

Well the insurance Co totaled it out. They said it was going to cost 11,000.00 before any unknown factors that almost always come up. They gave me a price of $10,355.00 for it. I have no option to buy it back though, some deal/contract they have with a salvage auction place. I know its going to be a sad day tomorrow when I go to the body shop to get my plates and personnel stuff out of the car. I think I'm going to bring the stock wheels and tires with me to put on and take my thin spokes and new tires off her. I'll be getting another much sooner then later and it will be either a LT4 or a C5 and the wheels will work on either.

Thanks for the emotional support guys,

PatsFan
Posted on: 2008/10/2 2:46

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

vetteblondie wrote:
I'd rather have a used body part as opposed to an aftermarket one for fitting issues, however, I took the money she alloted for the hood and spent it elsewhere, got the high rise from Toledo Pro, and for the exhaust she allowed me $650, and I can get Magnaflow, resonator back installed for that, so that's the route I took.
$7k sounds like a lot but it really tore up a bunch of stuff, body parts, underneath supports, entire repainting, headlight assemblies are expensive also. The car was not 'totaled' that was just the final amount....

As far as I am concerned, if the car is safe and properly fixed, the problems are nil. Do with the settlement as you see fit and can afford.

When I was relating to parts cost - NOS - I was referring to the other meaning - New Old Stock. This means paying GM prices for everything.

I will say this, Ecklers has the parts, but you will pay out the nose for them. They are made with the original GM molds, as I understand it.

Glad it's getting fixed, tho!
Posted on: 2008/10/2 2:48

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

patsfan05488 wrote:
Well the insurance Co totaled it out. They said it was going to cost 11,000.00 before any unknown factors that almost always come up. They gave me a price of $10,355.00 for it. I have no option to buy it back though, some deal/contract they have with a salvage auction place. I know its going to be a sad day tomorrow when I go to the body shop to get my plates and personnel stuff out of the car. I think I'm going to bring the stock wheels and tires with me to put on and take my thin spokes and new tires off her. I'll be getting another much sooner then later and it will be either a LT4 or a C5 and the wheels will work on either.

PatsFan

I am not surprised; but the figure seems high. Was that all new parts?

The pay off seems fair. What was the vintage?

I would test a number of each... The LT4 is bad to the bone, no doubt... and the C5 is a newer more modern machine... but both are not without their compromises.

If I was doing C5, I would leap up to 2002 or 2003. Get the newer ones with the bugs worked out. The price difference these days is chump change...

One last thought... I hope you don't have to finance! Getting a loan right now is damned near impossible.
Posted on: 2008/10/2 2:51

Guru
229 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

patsfan05488 wrote:

PatsFan

I am not surprised; but the figure seems high. Was that all new parts?

The pay off seems fair. What was the vintage?

I would test a number of each... The LT4 is bad to the bone, no doubt... and the C5 is a newer more modern machine... but both are not without their compromises.

If I was doing C5, I would leap up to 2002 or 2003. Get the newer ones with the bugs worked out. The price difference these days is chump change...

One last thought... I hope you don't have to finance! Getting a loan right now is damned near impossible.

I didn't ask them about the parts but I assumed for the price they must be new. it was a 1991 and I also thought it was fair. I would have liked more but with this day and age it would take along time to sell it for the 10,000. I was planning on financing about 3-4 K of my next purchase but Never thought about the current state of the banks. I have a great credit rating and still might have issues.
Posted on: 2008/10/2 3:02

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Best of luck with the new purchase!

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/2 3:05

Master Guru
Jonesboro, AR
4652 Posts

GM or not, I'm not about to pay full price for anything if I can help it. The only non GM part on the thing is that high rise hood from Toledo Pro. I've been extremely happy with what I've seen of the rest of my parts thus far. And, I know the owner is doing things correctly, as opposed to the other shop that Jerry-rigged a bunch of stuff we are just now finding.

Either way, best of luck to you with whatever you may find in a replacement vette. Your perfect one is out there!
Posted on: 2008/10/2 4:51

Resized Image

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

http://scenicvettes.proboards80.com/i ... ction=display&thread=1179

How about this one for your next vette? I know this guy and the car is just awesome.
Posted on: 2008/10/3 3:23

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

95vette wrote:
http://scenicvettes.proboards80.com/i ... ction=display&thread=1179

How about this one for your next vette? I know this guy and the car is just awesome.

Didn't work for me - have to log in?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/3 13:50

Guru
229 Posts

Yep me neither but I would be interested to see it. I've found what looks to be a good LT4 collectors edition in mass but the wife hates the color. She enjoys the car as much as I do so I want to make sure its something she likes also. I Happen to really like the CE's so it unfortunate. I enjoy the hunt though so it should be fun. i only wish there we're more of them closer to me. Not many in Vermont.
Posted on: 2008/10/4 0:38

Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

sorry. It is a blown 555hp '02 Z06. All custom done and done right. Too much work done on it to list here, but if you go to scenicvettes.proboards80.com you can check it out.

I should add it is $44,000.
Posted on: 2008/10/4 2:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

patsfan05488 wrote:
Yep me neither but I would be interested to see it. I've found what looks to be a good LT4 collectors edition in mass but the wife hates the color. She enjoys the car as much as I do so I want to make sure its something she likes also. I Happen to really like the CE's so it unfortunate. I enjoy the hunt though so it should be fun. i only wish there we're more of them closer to me. Not many in Vermont.

check the LA area, I will be more than happy to inspect one here if you find something worth checking out.
Posted on: 2008/10/5 19:10

Guru
229 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

patsfan05488 wrote:

check the LA area, I will be more than happy to inspect one here if you find something worth checking out.

Thanks and i appreciate it. I'm looking at something a bit closer to the new England area. If i find something with-in 200-300 miles i might be posting to see if some-one can take a look @ me.
Posted on: 2008/10/7 1:23

PeteK Re: Wreck the Vette today
Nanticoke, Pa
1311 Posts

I will keep my eyes open in the Manchester NH/ Lawrence Mass area.
Posted on: 2008/10/12 13:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

patsfan05488 wrote:
Quote:

bogus wrote:
Quote:

patsfan05488 wrote:

Thanks and i appreciate it. I'm looking at something a bit closer to the new England area. If i find something with-in 200-300 miles i might be posting to see if some-one can take a look @ me.

I will add this: If you find one here, it will have less corrosion problems.

I would not ignore LA, there are a ton of Vettes and they are usually cheaper. Shipping? Drive it home!
Posted on: 2008/10/12 19:26

Guru
229 Posts

Well guys i just got notification from Allstate that they got the police report. It states that the guy on the lawnmower was @ fault. I'm so relieved about this. I know It wasn't my fault but was hoping they knew it also. It looks like I won't be getting sued anytime soon.

Thanks for all of the support ,

PatsFan
Posted on: 2008/11/15 1:23

pianoguy Re: Wreck the Vette today
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Great news!!
Posted on: 2008/11/15 2:31

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

patsfan05488 wrote:
Well guys i just got notification from Allstate that they got the police report. It states that the guy on the lawnmower was @ fault. I'm so relieved about this. I know It wasn't my fault but was hoping they knew it also. It looks like I won't be getting sued anytime soon.

Thanks for all of the support ,

PatsFan

Glad to hear that the report came out with you on top. But just remember - anyone can sue you for anything, so keep your guard up and don't let the insurance company bone you.

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/11/15 15:45

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.