Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
165 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  4+3
This is the manual transmission from 1984-1988.

It’s a Borg-Warner Super T-10 with a planetary overdrive attached to the tail shaft housing.
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Dads90 Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Lets start from opening the door. It felt lite and actually I thought it was going to fall off. I put some luggage in the back and the hatch felt flimsy as well. Its an automatic and it didn't push me back into my seat like my 6 speed does. Couldn't get it squirrelly around any turn ! Of course it's not my car so I didn't push it to hard. He's always working on it and I don't want to spend my money on his vette. It does ride smoother and is roomier than mine, but my L98 just seamed peppier than his. Just thought I would share.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 4:04

bogus Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I have driven a couple of C5s. They are pleasent, but lack involvement.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 4:41

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Danspeed1 Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Elite Guru
Mooresville, North Carolina
1121 Posts

I wasn't going to post this yet, but I am looking into another C4... (this ones for me!) I like the C5 but I feel the same way. You actually had to drive the C4. If I wanted a car to drive me, I would buy a Toyota. Hint, Hint,... Keep a look out for the Impala, it just may turn into another Corvette.

P.S. The C6 is a drug... I won't entertain any negative comments about the C6, it is simply addicting!

DG
Posted on: 2009/6/9 5:29
1996 Ford Explorer
2009 Cadillac CTS-v

CSS996 Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I'm going to say that a C5 Z06 with headers, exhaust and a B&M shifter is a very different car than you drove. Damn, that thing could MOVE!
Posted on: 2009/6/9 13:11

BrianCunningham Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

I like C6's, C5's never really did anything for me.

I've had my C4 for 10 years, it's not going anywhere.

It's just going faster
Posted on: 2009/6/9 13:12

biggrizzly Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

First I'd like to say that I love my C4, however I have driven a lot of C5s and C6s. Like the C4 they have different manners depending on which one you drive and what kind of mods they have.

I found no more flimsiness in the hatches or doors than on a C4, the ride was definetly better as was the interior finish. I'm not a huge fan of the C5 but love the C6.
I have driven a 11 second 2003 Z06 and I assure you that it will make you want to drive it again.

My other good friend owns a 2006 Z06 that is just awesome to drive.

Yep, the C4 is a great driving car and I love mine, but I'd take a nice C5 Z06 or C6 Z51 any day over the ol' girl.

My 2cents
Posted on: 2009/6/9 13:25

Dads90 Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Im sure a modified C5 would be a bit more impressive. My door seems too heavy compared to this car. No big deal, I have driven a C6 and I was in awe. Of course my buddy was going "punch it" the whole time.LOL I would also love to drive a ZR-1. Of course I can't drive my C4 worth a crap, missing the shift, clutching incorrectly, but I have fun trying. I can still scare the whajeebees out of the family.
Posted on: 2009/6/9 22:51

Matatk Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Never driven any other corvette besides my own. Ever. But I like em all and I'd be happy to have any one

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/6/10 0:45

Sweet90 Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

I think we need some more C5 guys here.
Not one retaliation, damn

Jim
Posted on: 2009/6/10 22:11

pianoguy Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

The previous owner of my LT4 traded it for a C5 Z06, and he likes it a lot. I was seriously considering adding an '03 Anniversary model before my engine went south.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 22:28

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Sweet90 Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Elite Guru
Edmonton, Alberta
1143 Posts

Well if the C5 guys won't bite, let's trash those
C3 guys

Jim
Posted on: 2009/6/10 22:33

4543 Posts

Quote:

Sweet90 wrote:
Well if the C5 guys won't bite, let's trash those
C3 guys

Jim

Posted on: 2009/6/10 22:43

4543 Posts

Oh I get to brag again...
I drove a new ZR1 two weeks ago. I had keys for a bunch of Vettes in my pocket including a '66 427 and a new ZR1 all weekend. (made me feel real good - LOL) I had the keys to jockey these cars in and out of the dealership for the car show while the owners were away having fun doing something else. On Sunday when the guy came back for the ZR1 he let me take it out around the auto park. No big deal or speeds over 50, but I still get to say I drove one!! They are an awesome car just to sit in.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 22:51

Mekanic Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Quote:

biggrizzly wrote:
Oh I get to brag again...
I drove a new ZR1 two weeks ago. I had keys for a bunch of Vettes in my pocket including a '66 427 and a new ZR1 all weekend. (made me feel real good - LOL) I had the keys to jockey these cars in and out of the dealership for the car show while the owners were away having fun doing something else. On Sunday when the guy came back for the ZR1 he let me take it out around the auto park. No big deal or speeds over 50, but I still get to say I drove one!! They are an awesome car just to sit in.

Just climb into that 150k super vette, grab hold of the cobalt steering wheel and let her rip eh?

Heres the things that people aren't seeing, the C4 is a sports car, in every definition. The C5 and C6 are 2 seat GT cars. Supple leather, heated seats, navigation, comfy ride, and a big engine.

I've got love for the C6, especially the C6Z, fantastic engineering there, but the C5... isn't a sports car.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 23:07

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

CentralCoaster Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:
Heres the things that people aren't seeing, the C4 is a sports car, in every definition. The C5 and C6 are 2 seat GT cars. Supple leather, heated seats, navigation, comfy ride, and a big engine.

I've got love for the C6, especially the C6Z, fantastic engineering there, but the C5... isn't a sports car.

The C4 showed up with many new features. Stuff you won't find anywhere else except maybe on a Cadillac El Dorado. About the only thing it didn't have was the auto-leveling suspension. We take all those features for granted now because every car has ABS, 6-way seats, heated mirrors, digital dash features, anti-theft, adjustable suspension, and overly complex stereo systems.

You can't really compare the C4 against today's market. If it came out now, with all its quirks, it'd be the laughing stock of the auto industry. The definition of the sports car hasn't changed much, only the technology has moved on.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 23:26

volzfan Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Senior Guru
Kingsport, TN
306 Posts

Hmmm....well, since I now have both, I suppose I had better join in this thread. It may surprise you for me to say this, but I agree about some of the positives regarding the C4. Even my L98 seems to have more bottom end, seat of the pants, acceleration. And I think I could drive it deeper into a turn (something I love to do on the local mountain roads), but my C4 is a Z51 car, so that may explain some of that.

Now, the C5 is much more "refined", so to speak. Much, much, much easier to get in and out of (and I ain't gettin' any younger!), rides much better, and (and this is my personal opinion) is a great looking car! Oh, and it don't run too bad, either! I guess I must agree.......the C4 is more of a sports car, the C5 more of a "touring" car..........but the truth is, I love 'em both for what they are, and they are "different" cars, while still being Corvettes!

Posted on: 2009/6/10 23:32

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

I agree with what you mean, but the C4 is an interesting piece in that aspect. It is more of the transmission car between pure sports car, and GT cruiser.

C3's, are a sports car. There is no if's and's or but's. A big engine, in a light car, with a suspension that will loosen fillings.

Now look at an 84 Z51. Designed to out run and out handle every Italian in the race track, but with a fancy stereo and dashboard.

The trend continues throughout all the C4 years, appointments got more luxurious, and suspensions got softer.
Posted on: 2009/6/10 23:33

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.

BillH Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:

That is very profound and very correct.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 2:00

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

I get to drive it again tomorrow (my buddy is out of town, I'm vette setting). I will keep an open mind when crusing around town. It does look nice, bright red, eye catcher for sure. I like the seats, more room for my fat ass. The seat controls where hard to find because the panel had fallen off and is hanging precariously from its mounting bracket. Maybe a better understanding of this machine tomorrow.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 4:06

Trae1976 Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
2012 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Johnson City, TN
832 Posts

Quote:

Sweet90 wrote:
Well if the C5 guys won't bite, let's trash those C3 guys

You guys couldn't handle a sports car with the agility of a Kenworth.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 11:51

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Oddly enough, even though I am a big guy, I like the C4 seats better. The C5s feel a tad cheezy. I felt like somebody adjusted my side bolsters too wide, and the seat back felt flimsy. And the C4 seat backs are pretty damn flimsy, IMO.

If I had driven a slightly hammered automatic for my first C5, I may have come away with a bad feeling about them too. Fortunately for me, I got to drive what is, to me, the ultimate C5 my first time out. So I am spoiled.

I still like the C4 better though. But what car I chose to own would depend on how I was going to use it. Daily Driver? C5, hands down.

Weekend blaster? C4 all the way.

Don't be afraid to get on that car a little the next time you drive it.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 13:22

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Trae1976 wrote:
Quote:

Sweet90 wrote:
Well if the C5 guys won't bite, let's trash those C3 guys

You guys couldn't handle a sports car with the agility of a Kenworth.

Hee, Hee and none of my C2's had power steering.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 13:25

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I believe both of the C1's I drove ('57 & '62) had Kenworth steering wheels in them...
Posted on: 2009/6/11 13:34

bogus Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:
I agree with what you mean, but the C4 is an interesting piece in that aspect. It is more of the transmission car between pure sports car, and GT cruiser.

C3's, are a sports car. There is no if's and's or but's. A big engine, in a light car, with a suspension that will loosen fillings.

Now look at an 84 Z51. Designed to out run and out handle every Italian in the race track, but with a fancy stereo and dashboard.

The trend continues throughout all the C4 years, appointments got more luxurious, and suspensions got softer.

news flash... same thing happened to the C3.

The C3 is also heavy!!! Don't let it fool you... they are not light. 3500lbs!! And the aero of a brick.

"Sports car" is such a nebulous term. People have been trying to answer (or live up to) that definition for years. And haven't come close to nailing it.

The best way I can define it is by looking at modern Ferrari's. The 599 is a GT car, the 430 is a sports car. It's about perpose.

For the most part, the Corvette transistioned from sports car to GT (and I feel that happened in 1963) to GT/Muscle car back to pure GT. And has stayed there ever since.

The C4 is no more a sports car than a 928 is. Same with the C5 or C6. What they are is a good handling and performing GT car.

In todays world, about the only true sports cars are the Lotus Elise, Ferrari F430 and Mazda Miata (with soft top).

After that, they drift straight into GT.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 14:34

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

ghoffman Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Senior Guru
258 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Mekanic wrote:

That is very profound and very correct.

Here is my take on it, and sorry if I am too frank here.
I have owned a C3, C4, 2 C5's and now a C6ZO6. When I bought the 97, I had my modded 89 as well for a month or so. I had indended to perhaps sell the C5 to make a couple of bucks, but in going back to back, the C4 was just not there. The frame flex on a C4 is so horrible I hated to even drive it with the top off it shook so much. As far as motor goes, I was very dissapointed in the 97, for sure the L98 had more down low, but with a 4500 rev limit, I hated the L98. The C4 suspension, especially in the rear, is horrible, nothing positive can be said for it. I sold the 97 and really liked the 2000 FRC which was quicker and lean but I totalled it at Loudon in turn 3. Now with the C6Z, I do quicker lap times than any C4 I have ever seen, including a C4 GT-1 car I know, and get 29 MPG on the highway. No question, the C6Z is a sports car by anyone's standards, don't kid yourself.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 15:57

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Gary, you can be as frank as you want, everyone else here is.
For me, growing up when sports cars were C1's and MGB's, the C5's don't have the feel (for me).
Back then, the sports car guys didn't even think roll up windows shoud be on a sportscar.

As far as C4's handling, well, they don't, at lease not that well. They did handle better that the other 1980s street cars but most imports from the mid 90s & up handle better. The few times I've put mine on the track, my thought was "What a pig".

I do enjoy mine on the street, feels more like a sportscar to me than a C5.

The C6Z is a different animal, as it should be. I do like them very much. Unfortunately, I'd have to sell my house to own one.
Posted on: 2009/6/11 23:28

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Ok I drove it quite a bit today. Punched it a few times, took some hard turns and actually got it sideways out of a turn. It was all in the timing. It seemed different this time. The door thing, well its no different than a deteriating C4 door, the panels are loose and makes it seem flimsy. I love the C5 seats, more room and far more relaxing than my sport seats. I still like mine more.
Posted on: 2009/6/12 3:41

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Well, at least you hate it less... It's a start!
Posted on: 2009/6/12 4:03

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Damn I noticed the AC wasn't cooling very good. So I went to pull the high pressure side cap off and POP !!! it went flying somewhere never to be found. CRAP !! At that point I noticed that the shrader valve is leaking, I put my finger over it and I feel pressure building. So I lost all his coolant driving it around looking for a replacement cap. I knew I should have let it set all week. So as a temp fix I got my quick disconnect from my manifold gauges (its capped off) on it, till I find a replacement cap or he gets the shrader replaced. Does anyone know if the cap that came off is similar to quick disconnect ? Only thing Autozone has is a cap just sets on the fitting.
Posted on: 2009/6/12 14:34

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Oh no! That stinks, man.

Just don't jack up the rear wheels and put the car in reverse to get the miles off. That won't end well.

Hopefully one of the four C5 owners can help you out.
Posted on: 2009/6/12 14:42

Durango_Boy Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
2583 Posts

I've driven two C5s, and one whomped the other. What year did you drive and negatively critique? The later C5s had some significant improvements...as do all cars, so maybe let us in on the year that you drove. I mean, it's like comparing a 1984 C4 to a 1996 C4. One will whomp the other, and I'm not even talking about the difference between base, Z, or super class.
Posted on: 2009/6/16 23:23

Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Its pretty much stock 98. Once I got used to the accelerator it seemed alot more peppier. I'm sure a six speed in that car ould of been a different story.
Posted on: 2009/6/17 3:42

81c3 Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

Quote:

Mekanic wrote:
, but the C5... isn't a sports car.

I can take all the critiquing and ones personal opinion, as we are all allowed to have one. And I will consider your above statement as just that, your opinion, because it sure as hell isnt a true fact. I guarantee you I can make you soil your pants if I give you a ride in my "not a sports car" C5

Posted on: 2009/6/19 18:02

BrianCunningham Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Anyone else think it's time for this thread to die?
Posted on: 2009/6/19 18:52

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

What the hell for?

We're finally talking about C5s on this damn website!
Posted on: 2009/6/19 20:41

The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Plus, it's amusing.
Posted on: 2009/6/19 23:33

tjpreul Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Elite Guru
Columbia, MO
1103 Posts

Since I haven't posted on this topic here's my input.

With the C4 you have to be a better driver, than the C5. The computer won't save you. Although, I am younger my previous cars were from the 70's. If you were to get into a slide, it was pedal and steering to correct it. I like my C4. I am in control.
Posted on: 2009/6/20 4:34

'92 auto, MSD, Banski, Taylor wires, SS lines, C5 rims, 3.07 gears, white gauges, seats from a '96.

Motor: Forged rotating assy, Probe pistons, CC valvetrain, AFR heads, Procharger P1SC

CentralCoaster Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Control is for pussies. I'm usually out of control. The C5 has better performance in every aspect for its year than any other car at its price or cheaper. If that doesn't count as a sportscar, then what does?

Adding a navigation system doesn't take anything away from that performance other than some inperceptible weight.
Posted on: 2009/6/20 6:01

VtVette Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Guru
Las Vegas, NV
357 Posts

I bought my first C4 in '96. I think I've been through 5 or 6 of them honestly can't remember. The C4 gets scary at speeds modern cars are just getting going. The C4's chassis flex is deplorable. It's quick (fast for it's day for sure) but the L98/LT1 is not fast by today's standards as compared to other performance cars. From comfort and performance standpoints the C5 is a better car hands down and it should be.

What's really great about the C4:

It's a great summer/cruising car. I love my '93 vert as a summer car. To me it's a great LOOKING car. A lowered C4 vert looks fantastic. Wide, low, wide rims/tires. The wrap around interior is what the interior of a car that looks like the C4 should look like. The C4 to me looks the part without paying the big $$$ for a real high performance car. The clambshell hood looks cool/exotic when open, the suspension is all aluminum and looks cool (even if it doesn't perform as well as it looks). 6 gears is cool/semi exotic (not necessary but, we're talking cool looking here). The harsh ride/frame flex make you feel like you are going faster than you are and at a higher speed than you actually are - with I think is a good thing on a street car - helps keeps you out of trouble.

Cost of ownership is dirt cheap. Insurance is dirt cheap. Parts are dirt cheap compared to anything that looks or feels similar. You can't buy a cheaper car that looks the part that's for sure. The kid's won't go without an education because you bought or own one. IMHO The C4's above listed attributes make it a fantastic street car to drive and to own.
Posted on: 2009/10/19 23:20

1993 triple black roadster 6 speed

88BlackZ51 Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Senior Guru
481 Posts

C5's, and C6's have no character imo.

If I was to buy any of those body style's in the future, and I prob will, it will be a C5 Z06. IMO, it's the best bang for the buck car out there today.
Posted on: 2009/10/20 11:10

Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Quote:

88BlackZ51 wrote:
C5's, and C6's have no character imo.

If I was to buy any of those body style's in the future, and I prob will, it will be a C5 Z06. IMO, it's the best bang for the buck car out there today.

Bah, wait 10 years and the C6Z will be in that same price range haha.
Posted on: 2009/10/20 11:14

VetteMed Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Guru Newb
Alachua, FL
37 Posts

Wow, these threads all go the same way, no matter when or where they start. It's just going around in circles.
Posted on: 2009/10/20 16:10

MK 82 Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

That's funny. The only other Vette I have driven that I didn't own was a 64. It was a pig.
Quote:

Matatk wrote:
Never driven any other corvette besides my own. Ever. But I like em all and I'd be happy to have any one

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/21 1:47

Matatk Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22805 Posts

Quote:

DropTopCE wrote:
That's funny. The only other Vette I have driven that I didn't own was a 64. It was a pig.
Quote:

Matatk wrote:

Matthew

Now that I've driven the 79, I can appreciate the looks and the styling, but the 89 blows it out of the water in steering, handling, power, smoothness, etc. Not to say that I wouldn't want to keep it and not hand it back to the old man, but that's life.

As far as a C6, I'm still waiting to drive my cousin's. He never brings it over to family parties because if he drinks his wife doesn't want to drive it home. Go figure.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/10/21 2:05

400hp427vette Re: Drove my buddies C5, talk about Blah
Senior Guru
Long Island, NY
373 Posts

I drove a 405hp Z06. I thought it was fun to drive but the C-5 doesn't appeal to me. But it had power and handling
Posted on: 2009/10/21 2:11

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.