Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
298 user(s) are online (262 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Notorious The great Exodus - an observation
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

While I know that CF is still a big place, any quick scan through C4 tech lately reveals reflects a conspicuous absence of names I recognize. I can't help but wonder about the opinions and possible concerns of various people in the hierarchy regarding this. It's obvious some don't care or at least oblivious to it. Still there are surely some who do. The factors that have caused this are old news and certainly I don't want to see them rehashed here. These are just things that I can't help but think about when I look in over there now.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 19:20

dan0617 RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Yes, and 24 hrs of new threads in C4 tech used to be 2 full pages, give or take. Now, 24 hrs of posts is only about 1/2 a page.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 19:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Yes, and 24 hrs of new threads in C4 tech used to be 2 full pages, give or take. Now, 24 hrs of posts is only about 1/2 a page.

Actually I just looked and they did manage exactly one full page between 3:24 pm yesterday and 3:23 pm today. But that's a weekend day too. Still, very few names among them of established and/or well known members.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 20:35

TommyT-Bone RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Resized Image <<<<<<<------ I do believe you are magnifying the situation.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 20:51

bogus RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I will be honest, I don't go over there very often anymore.

I lurk from time to time... late last week, someone was asking about cats, and the 3rd post was about "you don't need them," and not a single person challenged that.

They are slipping into a pit of intellectual mallaise... they get what they pay for... You ban the technically knowledgeable, then you get morons expressing opinion based upon less then good information. I feel sorry for the newest members, searching for insight, not hyperbole.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 21:00

MK 82 RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:

I lurk from time to time... late last week, someone was asking about cats, and the 3rd post was about "you don't need them," and not a single person challenged that.

They are slipping into a pit of intellectual mallaise... they get what they pay for... You ban the technically knowledgeable, then you get morons expressing opinion based upon less then good information. I feel sorry for the newest members, searching for insight, not hyperbole.

All of the post whores came here!

:tongue7:

P.S that was a joke!
Posted on: 2008/1/6 21:13

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

And a good part of the proven talent who has not been banned is staying away out of protest. As someone here mentioned in another thread and I'm doing like-wise, if I see someone who's seriously in trouble or getting bad advice, I'll contact them privately to help them out. Other than that though, I don't wish to contribute any longer to their data base of info as a whole. I'm not judging those who choose to, that's just my personal reaction to the way things are now.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 21:13

TommyT-Bone RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

To tell the truth, I was getting help over there from other members over here. So there is no need for me to go back very often except to peruse the archives. I got good feedback and info here regarding the technical issues I have had recently.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 21:15

CSS996 RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Not being technically savvy myself, I view my role on this site as either class clown, or dead weight. It doesn't stop me from posting... A lot.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:30

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Not being technically savvy myself, I view my role on this site as either class clown, or dead weight. It doesn't stop me from posting... A lot.

This would be a good time to clarify that I never meant to imply that only tech-savvy folks make a contribution to this or any other site. All members make their contributions in any number of ways. After all, as important as reliable info is to most of us, so is the friendship, thoughts, ideas, impressions and so much more of all from any of those of a like mind. I've always enjoyed your posts both here and on CF. I was tickled to death when you finally got your car. And I'm sure multitudes of others were too. We can all identify with that initial moment when we looked at a Vette sitting in our driveway or garage and thought, "Damn, that's actually mine! How f'n cool is that? I have a Vette!"
Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:41

Shadow RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
271 Posts

Quote:
And a good part of the proven talent who has not been banned is staying away out of protest. As someone here mentioned in another thread and I'm doing like-wise, if I see someone who's seriously in trouble or getting bad advice, I'll contact them privately to help them out. Other than that though, I don't wish to contribute any longer to their data base of info as a whole. I'm not judging those who choose to, that's just my personal reaction to the way things are now.

Yep, thats what I do

For the same reason. Not contributing to the database or post count.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:45

The CF Artist fka: STREETKNIGHT..R.I.P.

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.CorvetteInternational.com

tobijohn RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
... You ban the technically knowledgeable, then you get morons expressing opinion based upon less then good information...

"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."
-- Mark Twain
Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
... You ban the technically knowledgeable, then you get morons expressing opinion based upon less then good information...

"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."
-- Mark Twain

I love Mark Twain. One sharp cookie.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:54

redvette6spd RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Guru Newb
Minneapolis
57 Posts

"Is the ZR1 overrated" This thread has been running over 13 weeks at the other place. One nit-whit after another jumps in. This place is looking like a much more constructive place to wast time. :thumbright:
Posted on: 2008/1/6 22:59

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

I love Mark Twain. One sharp cookie.

Ditto, you'd be hard pressed to find much more entertaining or enlightening reading than by Mark Twain/Samuel Clemmons.
Also that quote sounds as if it could have been alluding to text from a manual on establishing communism, fascism or etc.
Posted on: 2008/1/6 23:20

Oaklands RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

There was a thread where someone asked for some help. Someone else referred the C4Guru forum. Then a question was asked, "Is that the one Bogus runs." I answered yes and next thing you know the thread is gone. I have seen a few threads disappear when there is a reference to this forum.

There is another one running now, I would expect it to be gone by now or no later than tomorrow. Someone put a link this site in the message. I am sure that will go over real well.

I also noticed I wasn't getting my threads I had subscribed to any longer. Had to go back and reset them.
Posted on: 2008/1/7 6:06

mseven RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Quote:
There was a thread where someone asked for some help. Someone else referred the C4Guru forum. Then a question was asked, "Is that the one Bogus runs." I answered yes and next thing you know the thread is gone. I have seen a few threads disappear when there is a reference to this forum..

This is the area in which I feel becomes a personal issue and not in the interest of someone becoming more educated in various aspects of these cars.
As many might be aware 3rd gen., is perhaps the most comprehensive articles regarding ECM/TUNING tech. Using this as a reference for those interested in learning (as reiteration is usually way to long to post) was/is acceptable on "that" board, and never put anyones panties in a bunch. However, mentioning another board who someone/mods doesn't like, is then a problem ?....
The premise of rule enforcing, including rule siting becomes suspect if in fact the action demonstrates a subjective viewpoint or non-equal application/enforecment of the stated rule/s. Categorizing a statement/post does not always work, as it may only be an attempt from someone to help with no malice intended. MO
Posted on: 2008/1/8 12:53

biggrizzly RE:The great Exodus - an observation
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

I agree, I have got little intelligent responses to some questions posted there recently.
I don't recognize some of the senior member names at all. Where were they for the past five years I been a member there?
Posted on: 2008/1/8 13:34

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
There was a thread where someone asked for some help. Someone else referred the C4Guru forum. Then a question was asked, "Is that the one Bogus runs." I answered yes and next thing you know the thread is gone. I have seen a few threads disappear when there is a reference to this forum..

This is the area in which I feel becomes a personal issue and not in the interest of someone becoming more educated in various aspects of these cars.
As many might be aware 3rd gen., is perhaps the most comprehensive articles regarding ECM/TUNING tech. Using this as a reference for those interested in learning (as reiteration is usually way to long to post) was/is acceptable on "that" board, and never put anyones panties in a bunch. However, mentioning another board who someone/mods doesn't like, is then a problem ?....
The premise of rule enforcing, including rule siting becomes suspect if in fact the action demonstrates a subjective viewpoint or non-equal application/enforecment of the stated rule/s. Categorizing a statement/post does not always work, as it may only be an attempt from someone to help with no malice intended. MO

I think I know where you are going here, and this is the problem: CF does not allow cross posting to other forums. It's that simple.

It's competition. They are afraid that another board might have better support capacity than they do.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 14:44

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Quote:

This would be a good time to clarify that I never meant to imply that only tech-savvy folks make a contribution to this or any other site. All members make their contributions in any number of ways. After all, as important as reliable info is to most of us, so is the friendship, thoughts, ideas, impressions and so much more of all from any of those of a like mind. I've always enjoyed your posts both here and on CF. I was tickled to death when you finally got your car. And I'm sure multitudes of others were too. We can all identify with that initial moment when we looked at a Vette sitting in our driveway or garage and thought, "Damn, that's actually mine! How f'n cool is that? I have a Vette!"

Right on. I was not offended by the post at all.
Posted on: 2008/1/8 16:42

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I had a brilliant thing to add to this... but damnit, I totally forgot whilst looking for the thread...

crap...
Posted on: 2008/1/10 6:51

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Now I remember!

In the last 3 weeks, since the banning, we have added nearly 200 members and over 4000 posts.

Impressive.
Posted on: 2008/1/10 6:55

JrRifleCoach RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:
"Is the ZR1 overrated"

[size=18:1e60940031]YES! [/size:1e60940031]

But still impressive. Now, lets move on

Posted on: 2008/1/10 6:58

j3studio RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:
I had a brilliant thing to add to this... but damnit, I totally forgot whilst looking for the thread...

Happens to me all the time ...
Posted on: 2008/1/10 17:51

pianoguy RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:
Now I remember!

In the last 3 weeks, since the banning, we have added nearly 200 members and over 4000 posts.

Impressive.

Now you just need more postings in the Parts for Sale forum - that stuff is like crack - LMAO!
Posted on: 2008/1/10 18:14

CentralCoaster RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

If you're willing to be a sponge, it does contribute a ton.

Asking questions brings out the tech advice and adds content. I have plenty to say too, but until someone asks the question, me or any other tech guys can't answer it.

And there are different levels. You can pass on everything you learn from others. The simple topics are the most asked, and the easiest to learn. Well, usually. Fuel octane and thermostats seem to fool everyone.
Posted on: 2008/1/10 18:25

DaleD RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

[quote] Fuel octane and thermostats seem to fool everyone. :banghead]

So you're saying use a 160 degree thermostat if you use high octane gas? :tongue:
Posted on: 2008/1/10 18:43

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

Oh hell yeah, I've learned a TON, and helped my friend with his '93 on a couple small things.

I am full of knowledge. Just a chicken shit to pull my own car apart. Baby steps, I guess. I've got my FSM though, and with you guys' help, I bet I can tackle more than a few things if and when they come up!

I hope to actually create some tech videos this spring and summer, as I tackle a few general maintenance issues, like fluid changes and such.

I sure do appreciate all the knowledge that you guys posses, and I am really glad to see this forum growing, and adding the heavy tech hitters from other sites.

You guys rock, seriously!
Posted on: 2008/1/10 19:20

1Fast04Vert RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Now this is interesting. I do see a certain down hill trend on the CF, but I still check in there on a regular basis. I learned a lot there and if I can help someone else I will. I do not care in the very least who runs CF, nor how they run it. I got more than I paid for it (free) and like to help other when I can and if that is the available format then so be it. If I see a post I feel is offensive I report it (or used to, now I just ignore it). They are a for profit group now and that is fine, if they want me to pay so they make even more profit then I am gone like the wind.

Now if I were to say something negative about C4Guru (like how come no one here respnded to my request for feedback on Bilstein options) do I get banned here? Make no mistake, I see a lot of familiar names and good things here on C4Guru, including members that I have never met but respect and consider friends as well. Now let me go find a good Mark Twain quote if I can, his wit was extraordinary, my wit is sorta at the other end of the spectrum.
Posted on: 2008/1/11 0:42

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:
Now if I were to say something negative about C4Guru (like how come no one here respnded to my request for feedback on Bilstein options) do I get banned here?

Go for it! I've done nothing but insult Andy, and he made me a moderator!

As far as the tech, obviously you're not going to get the quantity of responses as you'll get elsewhere (yet), but hopefully they'll meet/exceed in accuracy. I'd answer your question but I'm still on my original, 23 year old Bilsteins!

And forum feedback is always welcome, there's an entire section dedicated to it. I see lots of room for improvement here and am also commiserating with the powers that be.
Posted on: 2008/1/11 1:02

dan0617 RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

One thing I have found here is that, for the most part, if someone doesn't know the answer then they don't post an answer. I know my '89 has aftermarket (Monroe, I think) shocks that were on it when I got it, so I have no clue about any kind of shock compared to another. That is why I didn't answer.

Most people here probably do stop in there sometimes, and those who don't, don't care if you do or don't stop in there. Nobody here gets worked up about that. 1/2 the threads on here mention CF or DC or some other forum, and nobody gets upset about it, and I think that is great. How many times have you been there, typing a response, then you think of a website but you can't mention it because of their rules. I can't link anesthes's compression ratio calculator to help a guy out because offlinking is illegal. If the guy asked the question here, the site owner would link the calculator site himself, let alone care if I did. Or I see a guy looking for a part that I saw another guy selling on camaroz28. I can't tell him without getting banned. Yes, they read the PM's too. Wonder how long it will be till they make vader86 take the link to his website out, because when you click on his name the link is still there.

Lots of forums, but only one of them cares if you mention another forum. Very childish.
Posted on: 2008/1/11 1:41

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

-- Mark Twain

I've always been a fan of Mr. Clemmons but I never read that one before. But as with most of his wisdom, it's hard to argue with. That'll be saved and used.
Posted on: 2008/1/11 5:31

FLYINLOW90 RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
Windsor Ontario Canada
514 Posts

Quote:

I'd have to say I certainly fall in to that category

I am certainly more of a waxer than a motorhead but to listen to the knowledge that alot of these guys have amazes me.

I can however advise someone on a personal experience I have had with my Vette and am always willing to add encouragement.

Know how to tear things apart...Not me. I don't have any grease under my fingernails :toothy3:

Gary
Posted on: 2008/1/15 15:19

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Just because someone doesn't work on their own car is really quite irrelevent. Knowledge is power, and if you know the process or issue, it means a shifty shop cannot rip you off.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 15:28

cuisinartvette RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Id rather see a thread with one or two responses that help rather than 3 pages of nonsense.
As far as "class clowns" Im guilty of that...sometimes I just cant resist a funny, or an attempt at one anyways.
Posted on: 2008/1/15 15:29

Crazy8 RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
Lake Worth, FL
125 Posts

I have to thank tobijohn for letting me know about c4guru. The past 4 years, I had moved from a C4 to a C5, so I didn't know anything about all of the bans, changes, etc. in the C4 section. When I told John that I was back in a C4, he immediately told me to sign up here. I am currently breaking my habit of CF and am hanging out here more. The really neat thing is I was on CF with my 93...and had gotten to know a bunch of you back then (CF name at that time was: Whitvette93). In fact, when I decided to trade in my 93 on the 01 Z06 I had, Bogus yelled at me that I should go ahead and do the upcoming maintenance and skip buying the C5. Although the Z06 is a great car and a great Corvette, the feel when sitting in it, just isn't the same as a C4. Glad to be back and hope I can contribute once again to the C4 family.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 16:41
2007 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T - Plum Crazy #981 of 1400

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Welcome, we all look forward to your contributions. :thumbright:

If you want to solve your bad habit of visiting CF, just post a smartass remark that makes the mods or owners look bad, you'll be gone in an instant.
Posted on: 2008/1/28 17:35

Jer RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Guru Newb
San Diego and your town sucks!
24 Posts

This is a way cool forum. I dig the moderator isn't uptight about profanity and shit. Banning forum members for their opinions is gayer than Liberace dancing around a Maypole.
Posted on: 2008/2/2 4:04

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Every time you post I spit up a little bit of stomach acid. Probably just a coincidence.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 2:15

Dads90 RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Guru
Pearland, Tx
318 Posts

Just signed up and found this thread. I too got tired of signing on to CF and seeing the same old threads. Searching thru the new threads used to take a while, now the new threads trickle in. I will still visit, but I feel I should go with the most knowledgeable vette folks around. How am I going to learn ? If I don't learn from the best. Seeing some familar names here makes me feel welcomed. Glad to be here.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 3:43

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Glad to have you! I'm not as active as I used to be, but still got my eyes on all the new tech threads that pop up. But I'm just some dummy that's breathed too many brake cleaner fumes, don't listen to me.
Posted on: 2008/2/3 4:15

MK 82 RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:
Every time you post I spit up a little bit of stomach acid. Probably just a coincidence.

Sad isn't it. The future of this nation!
Posted on: 2008/2/3 16:14

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

:me2:

Quote:

Sad isn't it. The future of this nation!

Truly.......
Posted on: 2008/2/3 17:19

cmashark RE:The great Exodus - an observation
Guru
virginia beach, va
74 Posts

Quote:
Id rather see a thread with one or two responses that help rather than 3 pages of nonsense.

:me2:
Posted on: 2008/2/5 2:44

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.