Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
308 user(s) are online (277 user(s) are browsing Forums)

GRIS, more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH400
Automatic Transmission - 3 Speed

1st Gear: 2.48
2nd Gear: 1.48
3rd Gear: 1.00

- Used in production GM models from 1964 thru 1990.
- 13 Bolt ...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

DaleD PCMforless - not perfect.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I've read all the wonderful stuff about PCMforless. So, I didn't hesitate when I wanted a chip. I wanted VATS delete, fan turn on at 215* and whatever little bit of performance they could wring out of my car.

As my luck would have it, I got 2 out of 3, but the 3rd item, they broke it. The performance is worse!

My car is bone stock L98 with a cat back and cut airbox. If you recall, I had an issue with stumble on acceleration. I did the seafoam thing, and it seemed better. It was kind of random, and hard to figure out. So, at the end of this driving season, I had enough, I took the car to a shop I use and told them to fix it. The fix was to pull the chip. Works fine now.

Damn. I called PCMforless but it turns out Alvin is unavailable. I've sent an email. We'll see what they do. Just kind of grinds my ass that I'm going to have a shop cost because their product is faulty. I should have pulled the darn thing myself, but I really thought it was something else, like injectors.
Posted on: 2009/11/24 19:44

pianoguy Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Arghhh, that blows
Posted on: 2009/11/24 20:14

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Aboatguy Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

I'm sorry to hear/read your misfortune; mistakes happen, I'm sure you're not the only one to be victim of a faulty tune. You are lucky that it did not end up worse (ie melted piston/s)
Posted on: 2009/11/24 23:41

RoadAgent Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Guru Newb
2 Posts

Did you send Alvin a data log? I'm sure he will work with you! He is a stand up guy to work with.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 1:01

DaleD Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

RoadAgent wrote:
Did you send Alvin a data log? I'm sure he will work with you! He is a stand up guy to work with.

Sent an email, since he's out. I have no way to collect a data log, so we'll see what they want to do.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 2:04

anesthes Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

Mail order tunes are like mail order brides..
Posted on: 2009/11/25 3:40

tpi421vett Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

I would talk to Mick (mseven). The guy is very sharp and knows his stuff. He is also very reasonable. I am pretty sure he is on this forum. He is also on the "other" forum.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 5:11
450ci now with AFR 235...

Matatk Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Sorry to hear that, Dale. Hopefully you can get it resolved. I've never worked with Alvin but have heard good feedback usually.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 5:54

Jeffvette Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:

Perfect because they are not Americanized?
Posted on: 2009/11/25 9:19

biggrizzly Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

Quote:

RoadAgent wrote:

I agree totally. I have not worked with Alvin, but Bryan Herter at the Pennsylvania side of PCMfor Less does the LT1 cars and he is always swamped with email and work. He has always got back to me within a couple days on email and we have worked out any problems through data scans and re-flashing. so I can only assume Alvin has similar work ethic. I have sent Bryan lots of scans and we have both scratched our heads on some issues that were not even due to the tune. I think a mistake can be made by ANY tuner. I think its part of the risk when you start to modify the factory tune.

Hopefully you will get this straightened out shortly before having to go to another tuner and pay again.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 11:12

mseven Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Quote:
Sent an email, since he's out. I have no way to collect a data log, so we'll see what they want to do.

I see no reason why Alvin could not get your tune functioning properly. If the only changes being made are disabling VATS, and changing the enable/disable fan temps. in the tune, the way the car performs will not be effected.

Regarding performance/efficiency through fueling and timing changes, no one is capable of tuning a computer controlled vehicle properly without the input of real time data. This information would be gathered from using software such as TTS data master, Diacom, tuner pro etc.
All tuners will start by sending a conservative "base tune" from other similar combinations they have done which is based on the information that you provided for your particular combination. From there you will have to provide data logs that capture/record a majority of rpm v.s.load range events while the car is being driven so that adjustments can be made in the tune. Additionally it will be your responsibility to insure that everything mechanically is functioning properly. Exhaust leaks, faulty fuel pumps, regulators, erratic alternator voltage, etc. all play a role in the way the tune will perform and can potentially skew various values.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 12:14

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

mseven wrote:
I see no reason why Alvin could not get your tune functioning properly. If the only changes being made are disabling VATS, and changing the enable/disable fan temps. in the tune, the way the car performs will not be effected.

As far as I can tell my car has no issues. It's not absolute, but my shop agrees. Given the car has no issues, and is stock, I thought a chip for it would be a simple item. That's why I was shocked to find the chip was causing my recent problem.

I heard back from Alvin by email. He simply asked where the base timing was set. I find that less than inspiring. It's set at 6* BTDC. But even if the base timing was off, I'd be surprised if it would mimic a fuel starvation problem.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 14:03

jhammons01 Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Too many cooks.....
Posted on: 2009/11/25 15:21

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Ok, now I'm getting irritated. There is no possiblity of a return. Alvin wants:
Base timing checked - done.
Fuel pressure checked - To be done.
Datalog - I don't even know how to do it.

I expected plug and play for a stock car, now I have yet another source of irritation. This shit is no fun when even the simplest of items turns into a project with lots of extra costs.

BTW, Alvin seems less than concerned. I don't know about PCMforless, but I'm pretty sure Alvin would prefer I just go away.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 15:24

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

Look Dale, understand the Datalog issue is important. If they cannot get the feedback from it, how can they help any further? This in input they need and you don't have the tools or the ability to get that info back to the factory.

Two schools of thought here.

1) should they have fully disclosed this prior to the sale?? Should they "qualify" you prior to selling you something you wanted? What if they asked you if you fully understood the Datalog issue and you replied "no"......then they told you that they won't sell you a chip due to you not being qualified as a competent tuner..........That would have sent you through the roof....

2) As a "Sales Engineer" for highly technical products, I sell things all the time that could most likely go this way as the end user is not competent enough to fully understand the product they "think" they wanted.

I mean at that point.....what do I do?? Drive over there and educate some PhD on what a Photon is and how to excite and then count a single Photon??? That info should have been absorbed during the education process of the the individual earning the PhD.

I'm not being a butthole by any means, but at some point a vendor has to rely on the end user having a minimum amount of understanding of the product they are buying.

They ask you for a Datalog and you state that you don't have the tools to provide this......What can they do from that point forward? Drive/fly over to your place and obtain the Datalog themselves?

Sorry Dale, hate me if you will, I'm just presenting another side of this issue for you to consume.

I don't know anything about switching chips or Datalogs or tuning or PCMforless or Alvin or mseven......I'm just stating what I deal with almost on a daily basis with tech products and Engineers (some even at NASA) that buy things they don't fully understand. When they can't figure it out by clicking shit on the software.....they then get frustrated with me for "giving" them what they said they wanted and want me to issue an RMA. Our product is performing just as advertised yet we are supposed to take it back and shelf it when we did nothing wrong.....we only provided what a legally binding Purchase Order told us to do.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 16:45

Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I also wanted to add, beware of the shop you are using. They could use this issue to milk you for work not needed. They could be blaming all sorts of stuff on the Chip and no one is there to defend the chip...therefor the Shop gets to charge for all sorts of goodies.

That is what I meant by "too many Cooks"
Posted on: 2009/11/25 16:49

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
I don't know anything about switching chips or Datalogs or tuning or PCMforless or Alvin or mseven......I'm just stating what I deal with almost on a daily basis with tech products and Engineers (some even at NASA) that buy things they don't fully understand. When they can't figure it out by clicking shit on the software.....they then get frustrated with me for "giving" them what they said they wanted and want me to issue an RMA. Our product is performing just as advertised yet we are supposed to take it back and shelf it when we did nothing wrong.....we only provided what a legally binding Purchase Order told us to do.

You're entitled to your opinion even if you're wrong.

Your perspective is clear, a vendor rep. I find it interesting that you have a strong stance, without being aware of the details of the transaction. There is a process where information is exchanged both ways. A qualification of sorts. For a stock car, as mine is, the product is fully represented as plug and play. Even after this, Alvin said

"We sell about 3-400 corvette chips a year and very rarely have any issues especially on a stock or near stock car but we can always try something different."

Alvin seems to be a little more responsive now. I did drop the corvette-guru on him, so maybe that influenced him, I don't know. Maybe Alvin was just busy and I misread his earlier short replies.

But I digress.

That's the beauty of the internet, we all have our own perspectives, and we needn't allow facts to cloud our vision.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 16:59

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
I also wanted to add, beware of the shop you are using. They could use this issue to milk you for work not needed. They could be blaming all sorts of stuff on the Chip and no one is there to defend the chip...therefor the Shop gets to charge for all sorts of goodies.

That is what I meant by "too many Cooks"

Good advice. I've been using this shop for a year and a half. I trust them as much as any shop I've ever used. When they work on the car, it's not uncommon for me to watch over their shoulder.
Different agendas and goals are something to be concerned about. I think I'm ok on that front, but I've been wrong before.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 17:02

bogus Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Dale - I have the stuff to log it. Say the word it's in the mail.
Posted on: 2009/11/25 23:09

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Dale - I have the stuff to log it. Say the word it's in the mail.

Awesome. What's it take, cables and software? Should I download something to my laptop.

I'm not totally convinced it's not my car. When we were messing around with it today, it was chugging, without the chip. We unplugged the MAF and it smoothed out. Fuel pressure is good, 43psi and 38psi under load. Timing is correct.
I bought a MAF with a lifetime warranty. I went to Advance and swapped them for a new one. We'll put it in on Monday and see what happens. If the new MAF doesn't do it, I'll want to do a data log and I'll take you up on that offer Andy.
On the bright side, the guy at the shop said mine is the best running TPI he's ever driven, counting Vettes and Camaros, so I'm doing something right.

Thanks a bunch, have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Posted on: 2009/11/25 23:23

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Check the harness to the MAF. If it's chopped up, all sorts of wierd stuff will happen.

The unit I have is EASE diagnostic. It needs a laptop. It has cables and software.
Posted on: 2009/11/26 2:06

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Dale, did you pull the codes to see if any MAF codes pop? Do what Andy said and check the harness, too.

I made my own cable with some instructions on the internet, cost about $8. Not as pretty as the premade $65 ones, but does the job. There is free software on the internet, too.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/11/26 3:15

NEVRL8T Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Guru
Little Rock, AR
74 Posts

BTW, you are not the first to have problems with PCMForless and Alvin. There have been problems from bad tunes to poor shipping practices.
Posted on: 2009/11/26 3:26

mseven Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Senior Guru
Motor City Madhouse
247 Posts

Quote:
TheAngelOfDeath wrote: BTW, you are not the first to have problems with PCMForless and Alvin. There have been problems from bad tunes to poor shipping practices.

If in fact, some have had problems with them I can assure you they are no where near the worst offender in the tuning world.
As to the other comments above, regarding sales ethics, and undisclosed facts etc. I have no vested interest in their company as I do all my own tuning. It was hard for me to believe they would not discuss various aspects of getting a "tune". A quick look at their site shows that they provide info on data logging, poor performance etc. in their "general info" section on the site.
http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?o ... sk=cat&catid=20&Itemid=78
This is not rocket science and working with the software only requires basic computer skills and the ability to attach the recorded file to an email. The actual tuning itself requires more savy... Dale should be fine once he can send some files/data out.
Quote:
What's it take, cables and software? Should I download something to my laptop.

I commend Andy on his generous offer and trying to help you out but first you will need to check out a couple of things. Since I do not own the "EASE" system, is it compatible for your year. More importantly, send Alvin an email an make sure he has/uses that software so that he can actually read the info.
If Alvin cannot read or work with the EASE system, you can download Data master for free and get 20 free trial files.
Data master here:
http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataMaster_downloads.html

cables here (scroll down to aldl cables):
http://www.moates.net/index.php?cPath=31

Quote:
I'm not totally convinced it's not my car. When we were messing around with it today, it was chugging, without the chip

This is what I was referring to in my earlier post, things need to right with the car which no tuning can help. Regarding F.P and timing, your tune is built around that premise/starting point, and always need to be verified before additional tweaks in the tune are made.
Posted on: 2009/11/26 14:08

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Thanks for the links mseven. I'll check with Alvin about the EASE system, but I'm sure it works with an 87, Bastett has an 87.

As I said, Alvin seemed much more cooperative in later emails. I don't know if mentioning an online presence helped, or if he was just busy. Either way, I'm confident I'll get it worked out. The driving season is over here, so I'm not missing anything.

As to codes, no codes in the car. The harness is in surprisingly good shape, but I should double check it. While my car was neglected before I got it, it doesn't seem it was abused. Clearly, it's not neglected now.

I'll keep you updated.

Andy, you've put together a heck of a site.
Posted on: 2009/11/26 17:33

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

The EASE is ODBI and saves the log in a CSV file, IIRC. So any spreadsheet can open it.
Posted on: 2009/11/26 22:20

vis_croceus Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Senior Guru
VA
260 Posts

Quote:
When we were messing around with it today, it was chugging, without the chip.

Surprise, surprise.
Posted on: 2009/11/27 2:11

dan0617 Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

You can also download tunerproRT for free.

I didn't have any luck with a pcmforless chip after a heads/cam/intake swap and after many datalogs to them, I gave up. Went with Azzato, was better. Changed combos again and no luck with Azzato making the tune right. I ended up getting into my own tuning and am very happy with the car and combo now. But.....

My first chip was a pcmforless chip for my near stock combo and they nailed it. I have my doubts that the chip is causing your problems, though it is possible. Before you go any farther I'd run the car around alot without the chip in it. When you think there is no problem, unhook the battery, install the chip, rehook the battery, and go for a drive. If the problem is in the chip it will surface immediately or within a few minutes of driving.
Posted on: 2009/11/27 15:26

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

hm... chugging... I hate diagnosing that one.
Posted on: 2009/11/29 21:25

anesthes Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Master Guru
Boston, MA
646 Posts

I like datamaster myself. Tunerpro is not bad either.

-- Joe
Posted on: 2009/11/29 22:01

Jeffvette Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Elite Guru
Not on CF
1297 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:

You've got something else going on other than the chip. You have a loose wire or a sensor that is not triggering a SES code.

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Look Dale, understand the Datalog issue is important. If they cannot get the feedback from it, how can they help any further?

With his car stock, an off the shelf chip is all he needs. There really is no need to data log. You can only do so much with a stock vehicle with the PROM. Alvin can hit the tune pretty much spot on and if Dale wanted to hit a dyno, and do a custom tune and spend a couple hundred bucks more and get a minimal horsepower gain.
Posted on: 2009/11/29 22:22

Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

I have delt with both Brian and Alvin of PCM for less. My personal experince is when dealing with Brian, the OBD2 stuff and newer, it is nailed pretty damn close, and good customer relations. When dealing with Alvin, the customer service and tuning has been less than stellar. And it is hard to get a hold of him, and many phone calls or emails aren't returned.
Posted on: 2009/11/30 8:02

NC Kid Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Quote:

anesthes wrote:

Not true. I had a mail order tune and it made my car run much better and smoother.

I had vats delete, EGR delete, emissions delete, and a few minor mods and they are very nice and helpful.
Posted on: 2009/11/30 18:05

Registered Vendor
Salt Lake City Utah
125 Posts

Personally, I would cut my loses with Alvin, and start fresh with Mick (mseven). Before I bought a FAST system and started doing my own tuning with a FAST system, I tried 5 different tuners, and I think Mick is at the top of the list.
Posted on: 2009/12/2 8:31

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Jeffvette wrote:
Quote:

DaleD wrote:

You've got something else going on other than the chip. You have a loose wire or a sensor that is not triggering a SES code.

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
Look Dale, understand the Datalog issue is important. If they cannot get the feedback from it, how can they help any further?

With his car stock, an off the shelf chip is all he needs. There really is no need to data log. You can only do so much with a stock vehicle with the PROM. Alvin can hit the tune pretty much spot on and if Dale wanted to hit a dyno, and do a custom tune and spend a couple hundred bucks more and get a minimal horsepower gain.

I am with Jeff on this 100%.

I reiterate - check the MAF harness. Also check all sensors for bad connectors or something to that effect.

Also, doing a tune on an otherwise stock motor is like putting lipstick on a pig... sure, you can do it, but why bother?
Posted on: 2009/12/2 15:02

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
Also, doing a tune on an otherwise stock motor is like putting lipstick on a pig... sure, you can do it, but why bother?

I did it for the VATS delete and changing the fan on temp. I didn't expect a performance gain.
Posted on: 2009/12/2 16:40

Josh Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Guru
Raleigh, NC
666 Posts

I picked up 30 RWHP and 51 RWTQ tuning my stock motor. All I had was headers/full exhaust, no emissions gear, and 1.6 rockers.

As far as tuning, I would agree that M7 is the way to go for chip cars. He nailed my 383 right out of the gate, first try. The driveability was 95% of a stock car. The best way to do it is to tune yourself, with a dyno and street time, but if you have to go mail order M7 is your guy.
Posted on: 2009/12/3 1:04

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Quote:

tpi421vett wrote:
Personally, I would cut my loses with Alvin, and start fresh with Mick (mseven). Before I bought a FAST system and started doing my own tuning with a FAST system, I tried 5 different tuners, and I think Mick is at the top of the list.

To clarify, he hasn't had any losses with Alvin. His car is running rough without the chip. Until the car is up to snuff, you can't properly test the chip. Not to say Mick isn't a good tuner, but let him get the car running first before we pass judgment on the quality of Alvin's work.

Matthew
Posted on: 2009/12/3 1:44

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:

Josh wrote:
I picked up 30 RWHP and 51 RWTQ tuning my stock motor. All I had was headers/full exhaust, no emissions gear, and 1.6 rockers.

As far as tuning, I would agree that M7 is the way to go for chip cars. He nailed my 383 right out of the gate, first try. The driveability was 95% of a stock car. The best way to do it is to tune yourself, with a dyno and street time, but if you have to go mail order M7 is your guy.

Awe, Josh... your L98 was far from stock. Your's actually breathed...
Posted on: 2009/12/4 11:01

CasetheCorvetteman Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Elite Guru
QLD, Australia
2071 Posts

Id look to the O2 sensor myself.... I didnt read every post in detail, so it may have been mensioned allready, but that is where id be heading with it.

Disconnect the battery for a couple minutes and see how it runs straight after that. If its smooth and over time drifts back into it's rough running self, id really look at that O2 sensor and consider replacing it or at least testing a known good one.
Posted on: 2009/12/4 12:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

good point... a slow O2 can really mess things up.
Posted on: 2009/12/4 13:14

pr0zac Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Elite Guru
Pittsburgh
1045 Posts

my 91 camaro ran like poo when i installed a pcmforless chip in it.. i had to make sure that i was reading the timing correctly.. they add quite a bit of timing and once i set it correctly it ran light years better.
Posted on: 2009/12/5 1:01

JDSWHITE93 Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

Well certainly doesn't sound like the tune, sounds like another incompetent so called mechanic using his diagnostic dice to diagnose a driveability issue. Sorry about your luck Dale, If you continue to have issues I'll come look at it, I can datalog the bad boy and all it will cost you is some diet Mt. Dew while I work. I will agree though everyone makes everything seem much easier than it really is, that is one of the problems with the FREE information we all share. I could tell you a motor swap is a p.i.t.a b.i.t.c.h. rotten experience. To a guy like Joe or Pete WTF big deal I ain't them though ya know what I mean ? I think an opti is no big deal. To those with limited tools and knowledge it would be a shit sandwhich.
Posted on: 2009/12/6 0:11

Calm Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Senior Guru
Vancouver, Canada
608 Posts

They MAKE Diet Mountain Dew?

I did not know that.
Posted on: 2009/12/6 1:56

Alvin Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Guru Newb
1 Posts

Hey Dale,

This thread happened to catch my attention. I do not believe you where fair at all to us or our company.

You purchased a chip from us on Jul 10, 2009 so you definitely would have had the chip lets say by the end of July. That was the last we heard from you until Thanksgiving weekend where you said the chip did not perform well and you wanted a immediate refund.

We have had a strict "official" no refund policy on custom chips since Summer 2003 when I caught someone bragging on the Camaro forums that they purchased a tune, read it, and sent it back for a refund. So we've taken the same position that any digital media seller does.

We explained to you there are no refunds but we will be glad to help you find out what was going on. First off I thought it was strange that you waited almost half a year to let us know you where having issues. I do not know of one person that installs a performance product and doesn't try it out that day, that week, etc. It seemed fishy to me, especially since you did not want to have any help in fixing the issue.. A refund was your only acceptable option.

I asked you to check fuel pressure, timing, and a few other small things, to which I only sensed hostility and anger. I pointed you in the right direction to get a datalog, etc. In fact you threatened me with "sharing your experience" on this forum among others. Among other things you would send me duplicate emails on weekends or late at night with "can I get an answer to this?" and mind you we haven't had a business day or two yet to answer.

Anyway, we tried to get you to get a datalog, check a few small things, etc. Still no go. It was obvious to us that you did not intend to help us help you so we just told you to send us the chip back and we would give you a refund.

We are not talking about some big stroker motor with a huge cam, we are talking about pretty much a stock engine. As Mseven so graciously and professionally pointed out.. its not that hard!

What makes things even worse is it looks like by your comments here that the car has the same problem with the stock chip. I'm not sure if that's your same position or not but that's a real shame if you put us threw all that trouble and drug our name in the mud for something that likely has nothing to do with us.

We might not be perfect, but I try to please everyone I do business with while protecting me from fraudulent people. Lets face it, I don't know you from adam and you could have been the person that just needed some extra holiday cash and wanted to return something they used for 5 months, not saying you are but I wouldn't put it past some people.

We try to answer every phone call, we DO answer every email. Might not be that same day but it is always within a couple of days. Its just me and one other person running this show and we are doing the best we can. This is more than a person sitting in a spare room of his house. I have a 7500 sqft shop to run, build cars, chassis dyno, etc. Having said that if anyone is personally upset with PCMforless send me an email at alvin@pcmforlessDOTcom and we will try our best to help you.
Posted on: 2010/1/22 1:19

Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22803 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Alvin. I hope you and Dale are able to figure out whatever the issue is with the car. Feel free to stick around and pass on your tuning knowledge.

Matthew
Posted on: 2010/1/22 2:13

Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

Alvin wrote:
Hey Dale,

This thread happened to catch my attention. I do not believe you where fair at all to us or our company.

We try to answer every phone call, we DO answer every email. Might not be that same day but it is always within a couple of days. Its just me and one other person running this show and we are doing the best we can. This is more than a person sitting in a spare room of his house. I have a 7500 sqft shop to run, build cars, chassis dyno, etc. Having said that if anyone is personally upset with PCMforless send me an email at alvin@pcmforlessDOTcom and we will try our best to help you.

Alvin,

I opened another thread to update the folks here check it. All I said was you gave up, and you stood by your product. I'm not a scammer, or someone trying to harm you. It cost me money to go through this excersize. I'm not a mechanic, and used a shop for some of this. I'll gladly give you the number of the shop in Cuyahoga Falls so you can verify work done.

I got the chip in July, didn't get it installed until August. I didn't know how to take out the ECM, and was told the hush panel, (carpeted knee panel), had to come out. Turns out, on an 87, removing the vent ducts connected to the hush panel will allow you to drop the ECM out. I had it put in, and this car is a once or twice a week driver for me. I noticed good things, smoothed overdrive shift point, better idle. So I thought I was ok. My car is old, and when it began to choke on WOT from a stop, I thought it had to be my car. I didn't immediately think it was your chip, because your reputation is so good, and this is, as you say, so easy.
I figured I'd wait for the driving season to be over. I did, took it to the shop, and that's when they told me it ran ok without the chip. I went in, drove it, and agreed. You told me about getting a datalog, and I wasn't keen on spending money on things I'd never use again. I agree, at that point I asked for a refund. You told me you didn't do refunds.
That's when your focus shifted to ensuring the car is ok. We checked the timing, the fuel pressure, and even replaced the tps and the MAF. Same result, ran fine without the chip, bad with the chip. As you can see, Andy graciously offered to ship me a scanner. You may not think so, but I was working with you.
I told you what had been done, and asked what now? And you said ship it back.
As for the emails, you're being a bit unfair. You may have got them all at once, but I'd typically wait a day or two between emails, depending on the issue. I have them in my work account if it's really a sore spot, I can produce them.

Check the other thread. I think what I had to say was fair. I noticed you opened a facility in Stow, Ohio and even offered to go there to try to work it out.

http://www.corvette-guru.com/modules/ ... id=113554#forumpost113554

BTW, welcome to corvette-guru.
Posted on: 2010/1/22 2:21

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Gents,

I am glad this is staying civil. I hope it stays that way!

Alvin - Welcome!

Andy
Posted on: 2010/1/23 2:52

flyboy Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Elite Guru
Westmont, Il.
2632 Posts

Welcome. I am not a customer of yours, yet. I did, however, e-mail a question to your company and was pleased to receive a prompt response.
Posted on: 2010/1/23 4:20

JrRifleCoach Re: PCMforless - not perfect.
Elite Guru
1524 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

Alvin did the tune on my Stock 86 and it ran much better than stock. He completed 8 different tunes until he was convinced the datalog was near perfect.

Years later, after the cam swap, he came back to trim the tune. It took a few more tries until he was satisfied with new tune. Yes, the process took much longer between datalog deliveries. I attributed this to greater work load.

As to your comment Andy; why do you bother?

But then, I digress......
Posted on: 2010/1/23 6:22

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.