Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
309 user(s) are online (263 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
 Register To Post

Midnight85 The "askers"
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

I hate to think about it but how long do you people think we have before the question askers from the "other" forum are here wanting to know about floormats, thermostats, etc? I was just there and there is hardly any questions worth answering.
Posted on: 2008/1/19 15:41

cuisinartvette RE:The "askers"
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

"Askers"....beings from another plane....another planet. Dropped from the mother ship to repeatedly test the patience of the average human being and observe how long it takes before they rip their hair out in disgust.

Stimuli, yes the askers have compiled it all.....thermostats. Headers sizes. Stickers. vs. vs. topics. Investment value, The elusive torque monster discussions and the infamous factory freak discussion...

THese, and other faux pas of nature can all be seen on.....The Twilight Zone...

Posted on: 2008/1/19 16:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Notorious RE:The "askers"
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Since this is the forum "that is not too be spoken of" over there, if we're real quiet and nobody tells them, they won't find us!
Posted on: 2008/1/19 16:07

Touringmike RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

Why can't I ask about floormats?

I need new units.
I got a CF window sticker I'll trade for a set of Carmine red floormats.
Posted on: 2008/1/19 16:11

red_johnny RE:The "askers"
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Thats what we are here for...to ask questions and get answers and to answer questions
Posted on: 2008/1/19 16:15

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:
Why can't I ask about floormats?

I need new units.
I got a CF window sticker I'll trade for a set of Carmine red floormats.

You can, but only if you buy a C5. Then we'd pretty much expect nothing less.... I'll send you another CF sticker if you promise not to ask this again!
Posted on: 2008/1/19 16:21

1Fast04Vert RE:The "askers"
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

Don't forget Seafoam.
Posted on: 2008/1/19 18:03

biggrizzly RE:The "askers"
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

How much smoke can I expect if I pour six cans of Seafoam into my intake? Or can I just pour it into my transmission dipstick tube?
I need this answer real quick too!

(sounds kinda like me)
Posted on: 2008/1/19 18:11

Steve40th RE:The "askers"
Elite Guru
1114 Posts

Damn, I spilt seafoam on my floormats while trying to open, any recommendation where to buy and or clean my carpets in my C4. And just think I lost allot of coolant onto my opti when I was changing my thermostat to a 100 below zero plaid version, will that affect anything?
Posted on: 2008/1/19 18:18

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

[quote]How much smoke can I expect if I pour six cans of Seafoam into my intake? Or can I just pour it into my transmission dipstick tube?
I need this answer real quick too!

(sounds kinda like me) :banghead]

Just buy a case and pour some into everything! No use taking chances....
Posted on: 2008/1/19 18:19

bogus RE:The "askers"
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Quote:
"Askers"....beings from another plane....another planet. Dropped from the mother ship to repeatedly test the patience of the average human being and observe how long it takes before they rip their hair out in disgust.

Stimuli, yes the askers have compiled it all.....thermostats. Headers sizes. Stickers. vs. vs. topics. Investment value, The elusive torque monster discussions and the infamous factory freak discussion...

damn, Ron... Since when did you get so poetic?
Posted on: 2008/1/19 18:22

BrianCunningham RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Boston, MA for the most part :)
7763 Posts

Quote:

LOL
Posted on: 2008/1/19 19:46

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Obviously he's been expending serious effort getting in touch with his "feminine side!"
Posted on: 2008/1/19 22:01

tobijohn RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Obviously he's been expending serious effort getting in touch with his "feminine side!"

I'm thinking Brian Cunningham might be doing a little ghostwriting on the side...
Posted on: 2008/1/19 22:16

CFI-EFI RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Top of Utah
372 Posts

Quote:
Or can I just pour it into my transmission dipstick tube?
After the Seafoam 'cleans" the inside of the trans for about a half hour, pour in a can of Zaino. They neutralize one another. The Zaino will spiff up the Seafoam spill on the floor mats, too.

RACE ON!!!
Posted on: 2008/1/19 22:32

Mr_Mojo RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Lakewood,NJ
225 Posts

How do I remove the airbag stickers from my sunvisors?
Posted on: 2008/1/20 16:48

dan0617 RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:
How do I remove the airbag stickers from my sunvisors?

with a propane or acetylene torch
Posted on: 2008/1/20 17:04

tobijohn RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
515 Posts

How about "Can somebody photochop 21" wheels on an 87 for me?" or "My buddy's (insert import make/model here) vs. my 89 with a K&N, who will win?"

Not to mention all the text messaging spelling shortcuts...
Posted on: 2008/1/20 17:12

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

I've been meaning to ask, how many tenths can I expect to drop in the 1/4 if I relocate the IAT and add the throttle switch? It's about time I got serious about my mods.....
Posted on: 2008/1/20 17:14

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Quote:
I've been meaning to ask, how many tenths can I expect to drop in the 1/4 if I relocate the IAT and add the throttle switch? It's about time I got serious about my mods.....

First try to make some 24" chinese dubs stolen off a F150 fit then go pick on some Neons.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 17:22

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Dont tase me, bro!

Resized Image
Posted on: 2008/1/20 17:44

DaleD Careful
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

What do you guys want to accomplish?
Without question there are lots of stupid questions, and lots of posters who don't learn, ever. On the other hand, there are lots of guys like me. I'm not a skilled wrench. There is lots and lots of stuff I don't know, not just about C4s, but in general. But there are some things I do know, I'm not apologizing, just stating my point of reference.
Stuff like this has the feeling of a High School clique. The "we know stuff, we're cool" clique.
I really think the idea is to make this a safe haven for anyone who enjoys Corvettes? If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Besides, if you don't have askers, then all you have to discuss is the people who aren't as smart or as cool as you are.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 17:52

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

In all seriousness Dale, we're just having a little fun with this. I'm sure I speak for all when I say we're always more than happy to help those new to the hobby and/or less mechanically savvy. Hell, although I've been a wrench and a gearhead my whole life, my C4 was the first modern high performance car I'd ever owned and then later began modifying. Without help from the forums, I'd still be way behind the curve on it.
I certainly more than willing to apologize to you or anyone else who might have understandably been offended, but it wasn't intentional.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 18:26

DaleD RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:
I certainly more than willing to apologize to you or anyone else who might have understandably been offended, but it wasn't intentional.

Apology not required. I'm not offended, you have to attack me personally to get my temper going! I'm pretty ok with what I know and don't know. I'm just trying to be helpful. I've seen posts/threads about the dumb people "over there". We're all dumb about something. I dunno, maybe I'm off base, but I think if someone is lurking and sees some of this stuff, they might be motivated to move along to another site.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 18:37

bastet44 RE:The "askers"
Webmaster
San Pedro, CA
1389 Posts

Quote:

Apology not required. I'm not offended, you have to attack me personally to get my temper going! I'm pretty ok with what I know and don't know. I'm just trying to be helpful. I've seen posts/threads about the dumb people "over there". We're all dumb about something. I dunno, maybe I'm off base, but I think if someone is lurking and sees some of this stuff, they might be motivated to move along to another site.

Point well taken. There's really no need to talk about other places and what life it like there since this forum has its own identity.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 20:59

Midnight85 Re: Careful
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

Quote:
What do you guys want to accomplish?
Without question there are lots of stupid questions, and lots of posters who don't learn, ever. On the other hand, there are lots of guys like me. I'm not a skilled wrench. There is lots and lots of stuff I don't know, not just about C4s, but in general. But there are some things I do know, I'm not apologizing, just stating my point of reference.
Stuff like this has the feeling of a High School clique. The "we know stuff, we're cool" clique.
I really think the idea is to make this a safe haven for anyone who enjoys Corvettes? If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

Besides, if you don't have askers, then all you have to discuss is the people who aren't as smart or as cool as you are.

Dale, I started this thread to have some fun, I apologize to you, I never meant to intimidate anyone. If my limited abilities allow me I will jump right in and try to answer a question. The point I was making is this, right now there is someone "over there" who is asking what size heater hose on his car. I mean, really a tape measure is not that hard to use. That is the type of question we were making fun of.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 22:41

DaleD Re: Careful
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:
Dale, I started this thread to have some fun, I apologize to you, I never meant to intimidate anyone. If my limited abilities allow me I will jump right in and try to answer a question. The point I was making is this, right now there is someone "over there" who is asking what size heater hose on his car. I mean, really a tape measure is not that hard to use. That is the type of question we were making fun of.

I must be coming across like a whiner? Not my intent. I don't feel threatened or offended. I'm just making an observation. We all know the talent from that other place has migrated here. I still go to the other place. I see the stuff being posted there, pretty weak stuff, (being kind).

All I'm trying to say is, if I'm a lurker, and checking things out here, I may get intimidated and move along. The way for a site to grow is hits and users. Chasing off anything but troublemakers isn't a good plan, I don't think.

Once again... I'm cool with this, I do see the humor, I'm just trying to point out what an "observer" may see. And again, if I come across as a whiner, or the post police, sorry, not my intention.
Posted on: 2008/1/20 23:40

RollaMo-LT4 RE:The "askers"
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Dale, you make a very good point.
I fall in that same "limited abilities" you speak of. I know a little bit about these cars, but not in the same way as some of these "wrenches" over here.

I think we all have a little something to contribute. I will always try my best to answer any question no matter how trivial it may be. I think that is where some of the diversity will come in.

So, any new guys out there "lurking" don't be afraid to come in and ask. That's how the site will grow new members. :thumbleft:
Posted on: 2008/1/20 23:53

Oaklands RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Heck, I'm not a mechanic for sure. If you guys make fun of me and my questions, I will force you to drink bourbon with me until you give me all your secrets!! I'll make you spill your guts, or puke them!!
Posted on: 2008/1/21 1:01

dan0617 RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Tyrone, PA
1260 Posts

Quote:
Heck, I'm not a mechanic for sure. If you guys make fun of me and my questions, I will force you to drink bourbon with me until you give me all your secrets!! I'll make you spill your guts, or puke them!!

Make it Crown Royal and I'll make fun of you and your questions all day long!
Posted on: 2008/1/21 1:09

Rex_Ruby RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Philly Suburbs
180 Posts

We were all "green" at one time, it never hurts to ask!
Posted on: 2008/1/21 4:31

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Make it Crown Royal and I'll make fun of you and your questions all day long!

Got some of that upstairs as well. We'll have to switch back forth between it and Makers Mark.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 4:29

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

I know what the driving ideal is behind this thread: there are people who have learned everything wrong. So they ask questions based upon very bad base line information.

Then they try to act like they know more than they do, and it goes downhill from there. I have seen it a dozen times.

Back during the peak of the import craze, in the late 90s, I had a Honda Prelude VTEC. The king of the import scene. It was THE car that Civic, Accord and other lower end import owners aspired to. Sure, it wasn't as fast as the Mitsu Eclipse, but it made up for it in quality, durablity and a sense of elegance (and yes, exclusiveness) that the others lacked.

However, I was pretty Prelude savvy back in the day... and savvy in general about cars, it really didn't matter what it was. Believe me, it didn't take long for me to realize what I wanted in a C4! I was at a local cruise in, talking to some drip with an Accord or something (details are a bit fuzzy, so bare with me)... he was bragging how bad ass his 18" chrome rims where... so I asked him, why they were so bad... he made reference to the heavy rim (these things were THICK) made it handle better. I just start chuckling and walked off. Stupidity to that extreme must hurt.

That is what this thread is about. Painful stupidity. People who spend way too much time believing ad copy and NOT taking the extra step to research before asking. Sure, there is no stupid question, but there is the stupid WORDING to a question.

If someone asked: "Does the relocated IAT make a difference?" That's one thing... that shows IGNORANCE. Ignorance is not a sin, and the poster, in this case, is trying to resolve his/her ignorance.

The difference between stupidity and ignorance? stupidity is content...
Posted on: 2008/1/22 5:44

sprint7677 RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Oxford, Pa
127 Posts

Quote:
We were all "green" at one time, it never hurts to ask!

There ya go, that's what I'm talking about!
Posted on: 2008/1/22 5:57

Midnight85 RE:The "askers"
Guru
Streator, IL.
264 Posts

THANK YOU BOGUS! I thought I
was going to have to ask you to
pull this thread before it did any
damage.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 15:35

Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

No. Not at all. This issue is a touchy point with me. I am willing to accept any question, and answer accordingly. But after seeing the lazy factor, that gets too much.

I need to update the Tech FAQ with this info, so we can direct it off to those who need initial realignment.
Posted on: 2008/1/22 15:42

Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

See, that's why they pay you the big bucks. If you rather me start a new thread on this next question, I will.

Vinnie over at the old forum seemed to have 1 macro on his keyboard, "Refer to your FSM" or something like that. I have purchased a Helms FSM but really don't understand it. I can make some things out, but others I cannot.

I know when it came to fixing my headlights on my old 88, I did a search and found a link to pictures with step by step instructions. I did the job in no time by having that to go by.

If we could have some tech tips that refer to some of these nice illustrations for various repairs, I know it would help a dumbass like me. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Keith
Posted on: 2008/1/22 19:34

MK 82 RE:The "askers"
Senior Guru
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
439 Posts

Quote:

The difference between stupidity and ignorance? stupidity is content...

Everyone is born ignorant. Some are also born stupid!!
Posted on: 2008/1/22 19:55

Lichen RE:The "askers"
Guru
Scottsdale, Arizona
166 Posts

Quote:

I think you just described Scientology
Posted on: 2008/1/22 19:57

SpectatorRacing RE:The "askers"
Elite Guru
1721 Posts

I'm with you guys...I'm ok with simple questions (how do I change my oil?) as that person wants to learn and hopefully the next project will be bigger and badder.

But hate lazy questions (what's the diameter of my stock rotor?) that guy just wants someone to do work for him.

But most of all, I hate people who ask questions and insinuate that they care about the performance aspect of a modification or product, but really want to look cool. I'm fine with mods for appearance, but PLEASE admit that's what you're going for so I can offer useful advice to you. IME The most common area for this is brakes. If you want cross drilled rotors because they look cool, great. I agree, they look cool. But if you ask me what will stop better, and I tell you solid rotors and spend 15 minutes explaining why, and you go buy the cross drilled ones anyway, then you've wasted my time when I was genuinely trying to help you.

If someone really wants to know, I'll spend as much time as it takes to tell them as much information as I can. But if they're just looking for justification that the airfoil they bought was a good use of money then go away. That's the main reason I don't post as much as I used to over there. However, I'm trying to be more a bit helpful over here...
Posted on: 2008/1/22 21:33

Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

Everyone is born ignorant. Some are also born stupid!!

As that one comedian says, "Ya' can't fix stupid!"
Posted on: 2008/1/22 21:56

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.