Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
298 user(s) are online (252 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  C1
Abbreviation for the 1st generation of Corvettes built from 1953-1962....
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
 Register To Post

Eric91Z Why did you buy your C4?
Guru Newb
Clive, IA
9 Posts

OK, so I have found this site because of recent mentioning in one of the Corvette magazines. I have always been a C4 fan, but after driving some friends' C5s I have started to lean that way. Then again, I have never driven or even riding in a C4.

Anyway, what I was wondering is a couple of things:

1) If you recently purchased your C4 (in the last couple of years, say), why did you get a C4 instead of a C5?

2) If you have had your C4 for a while now, why have you kept it instead of going to a newer C5 or C6?

3) If you have both a C4 and C5/C6, what do you like about each and do you prefer one over the other?

I know the C4's are getting "older", but so are the first C5s. I would be looking at the car to be a fun, nice weather/weekend car. I was originally thinking C5 Convertible, but not sure the budget would be friendly to one of those. Then start looking at later C4s ('94-'96) and the price is cheaper than what I paid for my Marauder.

I have soem specific items I want, but just wondering aside from routing maintenance and replacement of worn out parts, are there any real down sides to the C4 if you are looking to get in to your first Corvette and something you can modify and have some fun with?

I definitely want a 6 speed car and the LT4 would definitely be nice, but not at a big premium that would put it close to C5 price range. Especially when the LS1 motors are so easy to modify and get good, reliable power out of. But I still prefer the looks of the C4 to the C5 - IMHO.

Sorry to ramble on. Back to the original question: Why did you buy your C4 and if you have had it for a while why have you not gone to a newer C5 or C6?
Posted on: 2008/5/28 16:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

DaleD Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

I always wanted a Corvette. At 49, (last year), I was in a position to buy one. This is a toy, so I didn't want to be too selfish on what I spent. The early C4 appealed to me for a couple of reasons:
#1 - Cheap. Best bang for the buck. A capable car for minimum dollars.
#2 - Simple. L98 C4s are reasonably reliable, yet aren't so complicated that a novice like me can't wrench on them.

Prices have come down since last year even. A late C4 is a great bargin right now.

A C5 is a better car, but it costs more, and they are where C4s were 2-3 years ago. That is, they're coming down fast. You can buy a C4, drive it a few years, and if you don't mod it too much, and it doesn't break too much, you can just about break even. If you buy a C5, it will depreciate.

I have no regrets on buying my early C4.
Posted on: 2008/5/28 16:37

pianoguy Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

I too also wanted a Vette, and waited until I was 2 weeks older than dirt to get one. The C5 is a great car, but I preferred looks and "sports car" feel of the C4, and thought it was a better bang for the buck. I bought a 33K-mile LT4, and probably could've gotten a reasonably decent C5 for what I paid, but I'm happy. After not doing much wrench-turning for many years, I've found the car to be surprisingly easy to work on (especially if you get good advice!). I would've liked to get a 'vert, but decided I needed to be able to carry my golf clubs, so I went with the coupe.

*PS - shoot me if I ever think about buying another black car - LMAO!
Posted on: 2008/5/28 16:59

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

DaleD Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

pianoguy wrote:
I would've liked to get a 'vert, but decided I needed to be able to carry my golf clubs, so I went with the coupe.

*PS - shoot me if I ever think about buying another black car - LMAO!

I would have loved to have bought an LT4. If I had any sense I probably would have. Still, my L98 is a blast to drive, and if I really want to, I can coax some ponies out of it with mods.
Golf clubs are key. If I couldn't get a set of clubs in the back, it would seriously damage the car's usefulness to me. Today is golf league. I get to drive my Vette to the course in about 2 hours. I look forward to the drive as much as the golfing!

I did manage to get a white/red!
Posted on: 2008/5/28 17:05

red_johnny Re: Why did you buy your C4?
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

I got mine as it was a HUGE upgrade from the camaro I had and I always wanted a C4 ever since I was a kid. I only wanted a manual and a digi dash. I loved my time with my vette!
Posted on: 2008/5/28 17:27

CentralCoaster Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

C5 wasn't an option for me when I bought mine, but I can tell you that the C4 vs. the C5/6 is a very different car.

You sort of wear it when you drive it. The C5/6 are very refined, comfortable, people movers that handle awesome and have big cajones.

The C4 is rough around the edges, louder, squeakier, less practical, all of that gives it character. You won't fall in love with a C5/6. The C5/6s I've ridden and driven were obviously faster than my C4, but didn't feel that way, because they're so smooth. Mine grunts and kicks a little when I get on it.

The C5/6 is a better car in almost every tangible way, but it's the intangibles that wins some people over on the C4.

In other words, you can't make that decision until you drive a nice C4. Keep in mind there are tons of POS C4s out there for sale, and half of them are priced the same as the nice ones. So you might have to check out a few.

You are right though, not as many options and aftermarket support for the LTx motors as the LSx, but you might never hit that ceiling if your wallet isn't fat enough. Of course there's other C4 options, like the ZR1 or Callway that are faster out of the box. Or buy one that someone else has already blown their children's college fund on.

I like the looks of the C4. I don't want a C5/6 for the same reason I don't want anything new anymore. I don't want to be subject to any more smog nazi restrictions, nor do I want to be stranded due to some bullshit electronic security gadget failing that I never needed in the first place. I sold my overpriced new truck and got a nice '69 pickup for exactly that reason.
Posted on: 2008/5/28 17:29

Shadow Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
271 Posts

Was cheap. (and ugly).

Bought from a neighbor who was leaving the area. Was not running, clear coat burned off by the sun and everything on it that was plastic, rubber or vinyl was trashed.

$1000.00 out the door
Posted on: 2008/5/28 17:32

The CF Artist fka: STREETKNIGHT..R.I.P.

www.CorvetteFlorida.com

www.CorvetteInternational.com

Eric91Z Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Guru Newb
Clive, IA
9 Posts

Thanks for all of the input guys! I appreciate it. Some of the stuff you have talked to is why I keep coming back to looking at the C4. It has character that seems to be lost on the C5. I don't mean that in a negative way, but I have a hard time "connecting" with the C5 like I can with the C4. And I have some friends with some relatively powerful cars (2 with A&A ProCharger kits, 1 with intake/heads/cam/exhaust, 1 '03 ZO6 with cam and exhaust, etc).

They are all definitely nice cars, relatively easy to work on, easy to get in and out of, but still seem a little "soft" in those tangible areas that some people connect to cars with.

I have owned roughly 9 F-Bodies from 3 of the 4 generations. I had 1 5.0L TPI/5-speed, 1 5.7L/Auto, and 1 LT1/6 speed and by far, the LT1 was my favorite of those 3 combinations. It responded well to modifications, got good gas mileage (although the TPI motors did, too), and was relatively easy to work on (for half the motor being under the cowl). So it would definitely have to be a late C4 - again, preferably the LT4.

Guess as the weather gets nicer I will have to start seeing what is in the area to test drive and see what I like. There is a guy I know with a GS, but he drives his C5 more so not much chance of him letting me take the GS out for a test drive. That would be the ultimate for me, but not at the current asking prices.

Again, thanks for the open information you have provided thus far.
Posted on: 2008/5/28 18:27

JDSWHITE93 Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

This is the third C4 I've had, 85,89 and now my 93. I could have bought a C5 as the newer the better however I would rather have a 62 over anything GM has made since.
My C4 reminds me of an overpowered go kart. I really like the looks of the C6 and I drove a couple and they just don't have the same feeling. They are wonderful cars and I would love to have one for a daily driver but they do not feel as quick as they are because they are so quiet, smooth and refined. My LT1 is modded and should put close to 400 horses to the wheels much like a LS3 Corvette however my car FEELS ALOT quicker. If I were buying now I would look for a ZR-1. The C4 is a very different car from the newer ones you will either love it or hate it. There are not many who are in a C4 because it is their favorite of the late model Corvettes though as price is almost always a consideration when purchasing anything. I think you will find a group of diehard C4 freaks here who would not trade their C4 for a C5 and I am one of those. If you were close by I would say come on over, I have a 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis that I wish was a Marauder lol. I would like to drive a Marauder and I have a good example of a LTX C4 I think. I took the stupid hood stripes and hasmarks off it b.t.w. I gotta load a new avatar.

p.s. what color is the Merc ? My car is Dark Toredor red.
Posted on: 2008/5/28 18:57

brut Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Guru Emeritus
New Albany, IN
1308 Posts

My '88 was my grandfather's vette.
He was pretty much on his death bed dying of lung cancer. He invited all of his children(3 boys, 3 girls) to the house. AT the beginning of the night he gave each one a ticket stub but didn't tell them what it was for. A few hours later, he drew a number out of a hat or something and drew my mom's number. He took her into a private room and told her that she was getting the vette before he died and that she should take it regardless of what any of the other kids said or did.

Well, she did. Then she sold it to me for $8000. Where's the love? LOL

My grandfather loved that car!! I am really glad I get to drive it in his honor.
Posted on: 2008/5/28 19:05
'02 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic
'07 Hummer H3

CSS996 Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

It mostly boils down to affordability for me.

But I will re-tell this story..

I was a Sophomore in high school in 1985. A girlfriend of mine had an older sister who had a Silver/Grey 1984 Vette.

One evening, my friend called me up, and we got to talking. This was before I new about the Vette. Anyway, my friend said her sister was in a crappy mood, that she had a Vette, and wanted to go for a drive. So my friend suggested they come see me, and take me for a ride. I was pretty excited to ride in a new Vette!

I had not met the older sister, and it was dark when they arrived outside my house. My friend said she would wait outside while her sister took me for a spin, and I got in the car with her older sister... Her TOTALLY HOT OLDER SISTER!!!

Anyway, it wasn't a "Dear Penthouse" moment, but I thought the digital dash was pretty cool, and I thought the car was neat.

A couple weeks later, I was again in the Vette with the hot older sister, and we were pulling out of a 7Eleven parking lot. She floored it, and I was pinned to my seat. (And this was a Crossfire, mind you) I was blown away! My parents drove stuff like VW Rabbits, and Chevy Caprice Classics. It had been a LONG time since I was in a performance car, and I was hooked! I told myself what almost every kid who is into cars tells himself. Someday, I'll have a Corvette!

But I'm a car guy. If I could afford a Porsche 911 Turbo, I'd certainly have one of those. Or some other semi-exotic and irresponsibly fast car.

Shortly after those experiences with the Vette, I got my drivers license, and took possession of the family's '72 VW Beetle. My first car. Probably 50hp... maybe.

Anyway, I kept that memory of being pinned to my seat in the front of my brain for many many years. Like twenty two years.... And finally managed to scrape enough cash together for my '93.

The fact that it is a Corvette is actually a bonus. I really wanted one all those years, but mostly because it was fast. Not so much because it was a Corvette. But it just turned out to be an affordable way to go fast. I'm glad it worked out that way!

And I've got to tell ya. There are days when I'm outside, and the garage door goes up... I see those four tail lights peaking out of the darkness of the garage, and I feel like I accomplished something. Even though the car was not all that expensive.

It's a neat car, and I enjoy pinning myself to the seat whenever I get the chance. Which is not often enough.
Posted on: 2008/5/28 19:13

TommyT-Bone Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Why did you buy your C4?

Sometimes I wonder?
Posted on: 2008/5/28 21:05

Guru Newb
Clive, IA
9 Posts

Quote:

p.s. what color is the Merc ? My car is Dark Toredor red.

OT: My Marauder is one of 987 silver Birch Marauders. I am the second owner. It has a cold air intake, 4.10 gears, Metco control arms, Metco Watts Link, Metco DS safety loop, Addco front/rear sway bars, powder coated valve covers, 6K bi-xenon headlights, and dual Aerforce II gauges where the 2 factory AutoMeter gagues were. Someday it will be getting Stainless Works long tube headers, high flow cats, and full 2 1/2" exhaust to Megs non-resonated tips, Trilogy Twin-Screw supercharger, and TCE big brake kit, widened stock rear wheels with Nitto rubber at all 4 corners.

Here is a picture:

Resized Image

And my daily driver is an '03 Crown Vic PI. Price was right, but in the last year I have forked out almost what I paid in repairs, maintenance, and upgrades. But after a couple more things it should be right where I want for a decent, room, daily driver:

Resized Image

Back on topic: Again, thank you all for the input. What a lot of you guys are saying kind of fits where I am at. If I had the funds, I would have either a Porsche 911, 928, or 951 (944 Turbo) as my second fun car. But the cost of entry and up keep is too high. I don't mind working on, fixing, or upgrading cars, but not when the price to do so as more than the upgrades are worth (at least in my financial world).

So that brings me back to the Corvette - a car I have always loved, too. And there is just something about a C4. I guess I really need to actually drive one and go from there. Make sure I can get my ever increasingly out of shape body in and out of it... ;)
Posted on: 2008/5/29 12:59

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I'm 6'4" tall and about 300lbs. I can't say it is easy getting in and out, but even skinny guys have the same problem. Just don't use the steering wheel to extricate yourself, or you'll mess up the steering column guts.

Occasionally, my back give me some trouble, but even when it flares up, I can still get in and out alright, thank goodness.

As long as your torso is not overly long, you should be alright.

That silver Marauder is beautiful!
Posted on: 2008/5/29 14:26

BillH Re: Why did you buy your C4?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

I bought my 92 cause I wanted a daily driver. There was never a question in my mind on what to buy. I never really liked the C5's especially the seats and cockpit feel.
The 92 is Vette # 7 for me.

If you're going to get one, take your time. I looked at 25 or more cars before I bought this one. There's a bunch of C4's out there that have been very well cared for.
In 4 years the only thing I've done to the car is replaced the opti. No oil leaks, no squeeks or rattles, no problems.
If you can find one owned by a "Corvette Person" , one that's been garaged, taken care of, has no significant mods that costs a few dollars more, you'll be ahead of the game.
If you want to mod it after you get it, you'll have a good starting point. If you but one off a carlot, you may have to spend a lot of your time and money just fixing things.
Posted on: 2008/5/29 14:37

Guru Newb
Clive, IA
9 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
I'm 6'4" tall and about 300lbs. I can't say it is easy getting in and out, but even skinny guys have the same problem. Just don't use the steering wheel to extricate yourself, or you'll mess up the steering column guts.

Occasionally, my back give me some trouble, but even when it flares up, I can still get in and out alright, thank goodness.

As long as your torso is not overly long, you should be alright.

That silver Marauder is beautiful!

I am only 6'1" and 260 pounds and carry most of my extra weight around my mid-section - unfortunately. I assume it just takes practice and figuring out what works best for you.

I did a quick AutoTrader search and not a single '94-'96 C4 within a 100 mile radius and 23 within 200 miles. I do have a couple friends in the various local Corvette Clubs, so will have to put feelers out to see if any in the clubs know of decent ones for sale to check out. Also need to hit some of the local Corvette shows this summer.

Thanks for the Marauder compliment. I do love the car and have no intention of getting rid of it. I do, hoewever, want a Corvette to park next to it!
Posted on: 2008/5/29 14:38

bogus Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Porsche's are nice cars, and entry costs can be high, but so is maintenance. If something big breaks, you are stuck.

For me, I was in the same position as Central Coaster. I bought my 92 in 2000, when C5s were so new they hadn't dipped below $25k for a good one. I got my 92 in June 2000 for $16,700.00. With only 39k miles, it was a great deal.

It now has 166k miles.

The C5 isn't without faults. The rear driveline isn't that durable, and more and more cases of differentials blowing out and T56s failing are coming out as the car ages. If you don't race, it won't be a problem, but I suspect over time it becomes a natural failure point.

The ZF6/D44 driveline is bulletproof.

I created a buyers guide that should help. Check under the Tech Library (left nav bar), General Info, "C4 Buyer's Guide."
Posted on: 2008/5/29 14:47

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

NC Kid Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Got it because my dad had a few corvettes when he was younger, got the C4 cuz it was cheap! plus it was purty. :D
Posted on: 2008/5/29 16:59

pianoguy Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Guru Emeritus
Apple Valley, MN
14762 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
I bought my 92 cause I wanted a daily driver. There was never a question in my mind on what to buy. I never really liked the C5's especially the seats and cockpit feel.
The 92 is Vette # 7 for me.

If you're going to get one, take your time. I looked at 25 or more cars before I bought this one. There's a bunch of C4's out there that have been very well cared for.
In 4 years the only thing I've done to the car is replaced the opti. No oil leaks, no squeeks or rattles, no problems.
If you can find one owned by a "Corvette Person" , one that's been garaged, taken care of, has no significant mods that costs a few dollars more, you'll be ahead of the game.
If you want to mod it after you get it, you'll have a good starting point. If you but one off a carlot, you may have to spend a lot of your time and money just fixing things.

I lucked out with mine - it was the first one I drove. I had been searching all over and found it on ebay, and it happened to be at a local Chevy dealership. I looked at it and contacted the previous owner, who had traded it in on a Z06. He was a Vette guy, also has a nice '71. He was the 2nd owner, but knew its original owner well. It was in excellent shape, and everything worked. I figured the chances of me finding another one as nice locally were slim, so I bought it.
Posted on: 2008/5/29 17:14

�Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.�- Jack Handey

Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I was kind-of in the same boat. My Ruby was the first car I checked out in person. There were a few deals a couple hundred miles away I almost closed on, but this was meant to be.

I found it at a Chevy dealership near Denver, CO. The owner traded it on a used C5 Z06. My car seems to have been well taken care of. I didn't necessarily WANT to buy the first car I drove, but I had Andy's checklist, and everything that was important to me checked out fine.

Take the list with you when you are looking! If you forget it, turn around and go back for it! Way too much info in there to keep in your brain...
Posted on: 2008/5/29 18:41

Notorious Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

It seemed like a good idea at the time.....
Posted on: 2008/5/29 21:19

Oaklands Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
Morristown, TN
480 Posts

Long time no talk to everyone. I've been on the road quite a bit lately.

I am on my 2nd 88 vette. The first was an automatic and I decided I wanted the 4+3. It is a lot more fun to drive and performs much better.

I have wanted a corvette since I was about 15 years old. I finally decided it was time. I grew around the C3's but liked the looks of the C4's even more. I have no regrets at all.

The wife and I were out eating last night and when we left a gentleman was admiring my car. He owns a C6. He kept commenting on what great shape my car was in. I told him it had 39k on it when I bought it and I got it for 8k. He was amazed and complimented me on getting such a great deal.

You can't beat the prices on a C4 and it gives you plenty of room to sink some money into it if you want without breaking you.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 3:38

cuisinartvette Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

LOL Notorious...Same sentiment here. Not once, but twice.
Slow learner
Posted on: 2008/6/1 5:57

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

snowmanmdp Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Guru Newb
Michigan
30 Posts

Got mine by trading for a 06 900 Polaris fusion(Snowmobile) I started looking for a car last year. To tell the truth I was looking for a foxbody mustang. We went to a vette show last summer at canterbury village,after that experince I sworwe I would never have a vette. The people there were some of the biggest jerks I had ever met! I have been around cars my whole live and had never ran across that kind of additude ever. My wife was in total disbeleif, she said she would never ever have a vette after that. SORRY if this offends anyone here, but it is what happend! Now that we have the vette my wife want me to keep it! I have had a few offers on it and I still have it. Considering I put it up for sale or trade the day I got it, I'm amazed I still own it. I just ordered seatcovers and a stainless exaust so I think I will keep it for a while!
Posted on: 2008/6/1 14:44

Notorious Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Elite Guru
Downbound train, NC
2184 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
LOL Notorious...Same sentiment here. Not once, but twice.
Slow learner

Like any other gorgeous, high-maintenance bitch, it's a love/hate thing. But at this point, as they say, "It's cheaper to keep her!"
Posted on: 2008/6/1 16:08

bogus Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20859 Posts

Back in June of 2000, my current car was getting a little tired. I had a 1994 Prelude VTEC. Fantastic machine, but it is still a FWD coupe. I will say this: it was the best handling FWD car I have ever had the privledge of driving, and, beat many a RWD car out, too. Excellent balance and poise, and for a FWD, not that much terminal understeer. Honda did right by the 4th gen Prelude.

Well, it was getting tired, it had about 170k on it and needed some love. I wanted to redo the suspension - I am sure that the rubber bushings were toast, as were various rod link ends and such. I also wanted to repaint it; the OEM black was about dead... the hood looked like crap.

But in early June, I was having lunch at the local Burger King when a 5-ton delivery truck (6 wheeled box) cut a corner and his right rear wheel clipped my left front wheel. I had the car backed into the spot. The main parking lot road ran to the cars left, parallel to the main highway. The aisle to the front was a secondary path in the lot. For all intents and purposes, there was no reason for the truck to make that right, but he did. It dragged my car about 5' to the right of where it was (spot was empty!). The impact damaged the fender, tore the hell outta the alignment, bent the main steering column bracket (supports column to dash board, remember the steering was locked), crushed the cruise control vacuum accumulator. In total, about $1800 in damage. No airbags.

Sure, it was fixed, but I had a tough time - rather insulting, really - communicating my concerns with the front end in regards to a 5-ton truck dragging it across a parking lot. The adjuster didn't seem to think I knew what I was talking about (arrogent bastard, didn't listen to a word I had to say, I would NEVER recommend Travelers insurance. I was in 2 accidents where their drivers were faulted and they are cheap bastards). So instead of sueing them (I thought about it) I decided to get a new car.

That started a new round of research...

f-bodies - na, everyone had one, it seemed, and they are just not that well built.

Mustang - Nope. ugly chassis.

300ZX-TT - at the time, holding value like super glue

RX-7 TT - Fine car, just way too fragile

Mitsu 3000GT VR4 - Nope. heavy and very expensive to fix. Also fragile.

Supra TT - Same as 300ZX

Nissan Skyline GTR - hard to import, expensive to keep

Acura NSX - Love it, and nearly affordable, but I didn't want to get that deep on a used car. Also lacked storage space.

Porsche 911 - Nice car, I just don't fit that well.

Honda S2000 - Neat ride, way too small!

Mazda Miata - yuck... nice handler, way too slow and way too small.

That left me with the Vette. I fit just fine in it, the hatch has a ton of storage space in it and the driveline is damned near bullet proof.

I went shopping from Miami to NYC... Found one near Richmond, VA, but the mileage was off between the odo and CARFAX. So I passed. The car was in iffy condition, too. The one I picked was a private sale in NJ and that's the one I have. So I musta picked well.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 17:29

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Notorious wrote:
Like any other gorgeous, high-maintenance bitch, it's a love/hate thing. But at this point, as they say, "It's cheaper to keep her!"

I decided to stop looking at what I was spending vs what it was worth. But you and cuisinart both already know about that.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 18:33

Crazy8 Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
Lake Worth, FL
125 Posts

For me, it seemed like a good way to get another Corvette, after trading in my C5 Z06. But, yesterday, I bought a used 2008 Jetstream Blue Coupe, so I am going to go ahead and sell my C4, as I can get what I have put into it out.
Posted on: 2008/6/1 18:55
2007 Dodge Charger Daytona R/T - Plum Crazy #981 of 1400

jhammons01 Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
1044 Posts

I got mine to track it.....Have I made it to a track yet??

No

I always keep an older sporty car for work purposes. I drive my work cars many miles per year. I buy an older car....drive it a few years and then sell it, usually for what I paid.

The C4 is the absolute best sports car on the market today for the money...

~$4k gets a hell of a car when you buy a C4.....a pizza wagon if you buy a Honda...
Posted on: 2008/6/3 0:09

pappyfreebird Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
1028 Posts

dang coaster makes it just like the harley werld...pan tops the knuckle ,then shovel (still the best )tops the panhead ..then the evo beats em all (so sum think) n now the twinkie er um twin cam...vets go same way...myself the macko (c3) has coolest look but c4 resmebles yet lil wider n mo headroom n handles better...why well does cause it were there still count!!! plus my brutha has a 68 427 macko n a 77 L81 ..both r buried but the times he let me run em made a L of n impression...last i ain sure i like the newer looks...faster better well thats all in the eyes of the beholder...ive had a few newr hogs n sell em fast cause they simply ain the same...reread cc werds to best describe what i mean
Posted on: 2008/6/3 1:18

Livin_the_dream Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
robesonia , pa
516 Posts

I have always wanted a Vette . I also decided I needed a little more practical cruiser for the old car club I belong to. I was looking at the C-3's but after some research I decided a C4 may suit my needs better. Originally I was looking at early C4's with an 86 being the newest I would look at since most of the old car events have an age limit .Another factor for me was the ability to work on the car myself. Much newer and I think it would require more of an equipment investment than I am ready for at this point. Final item was I wanted something I could drive and enjoy for awhile - it is my first. I found the forums after I purchased my Coupe and I have not been the same since or is it sane since!
Posted on: 2008/6/3 1:55

Touringmike Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
Sussex,Wi
569 Posts

A little over 6 years ago, I quit smoking.

In order to keep from going back to the nasty habit, I figured I'd take a loan from my 401k plan, and spend weekly about what I used to spend on cigarettes, to pay the loan off. Three years to pay myself back, with interest. Good deal all the way around.

It's worked good so far.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 2:16

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

jhammons01 wrote:
I got mine to track it.....Have I made it to a track yet??

No

~$4k gets a hell of a car when you buy a C4.....a pizza wagon if you buy a Honda...

The pizza wagon might suit you better considering your usage. :tongue:
Posted on: 2008/6/3 3:25

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

So it looks like the consensus is...

We bought our C4s because we couldn't afford anything better.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 3:27

Pod Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Guru Newb
Columbia, Ms
44 Posts

Never had one before. It got my cherry.
Posted on: 2008/6/3 5:55

crash Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Guru
WRIGHT CITY MO 63390
977 Posts

I HAVE WANTED A VETTE SINCE I WAS 12 YRS OLD FINALLY 3 YRS AGO I STARTED LOOKING I FOUND THE C4 THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK
AFTER LOOKING ON LINE FOR AWHILE I FOUND ONE CLOSE TO HOME
I WENT AND LOOKED AT IT TWICE AND TALKED IT OVER WITH THE BOSS SHE SAID GO FOR IT SO AT THE YOUNG AGE OF 60 I BOUGHT MY VETTE ITS A 89 COUPE DARK METALLIC RED WITH SADDLE INTERIOR AUTO IT HAS 112,000 MILES FOR $7500.00
YES IT HAS SOME ISSUES BUT BEING A MACHANIC BY TRADE ITS ALSO FORM OF RELAXITION WORKING ON IT PLUS ITS LIKE DRIVING A GO KART THAT YOU WEAR
Posted on: 2008/6/3 11:57

1Fast04Vert Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Elite Guru
The hills of N. Georgia
2424 Posts

I bought my 95 coupe because someone wanted my 97 Dodge pick-up so bad he offered a trade that was too good to pass up. He gave me the Vette and $400 for the pick-up, which had 214,000 miles on it. By KBB or NADA the Vette was (is) worth slightly more than twice what the Dodge was worth.

I wanted a C4 because I like everything about it. I would rather have it than a C5 or C6 and have no plans to make any changes, even if I hit the lottery. But I might add a 72-73 vert to the inventory sometime fairly soon.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 12:56

Guru Newb
Clive, IA
9 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:
I created a buyers guide that should help. Check under the Tech Library (left nav bar), General Info, "C4 Buyer's Guide."

OK, call me stupid if you want, but where is the C4 Buyer's Guide at? I looked under the "Tech Library" link from the menu on the left side of the screen and do not see a "General Info" area. I see the following:

- Chassis
- Drive Train
- Electrical
- Engine
- Exterior
- Interior

And I have checked all of those and not seeing the C4 Buyer's Guide. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 13:04

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

Eric91Z wrote:

And I have checked all of those and not seeing the C4 Buyer's Guide. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

It's in there. Here's a direct link:

http://www.corvette-guru.com/uploads/ ... ection/10_BuyersGuide.pdf
Posted on: 2008/6/4 20:54

Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33760 Posts

Quote:

Touringmike wrote:
A little over 6 years ago, I quit smoking.

In order to keep from going back to the nasty habit, I figured I'd take a loan from my 401k plan, and spend weekly about what I used to spend on cigarettes, to pay the loan off. Three years to pay myself back, with interest. Good deal all the way around.

It's worked good so far.

I quit drinking. LOL. I could never drive a high performance car if I was tossing back the suds. It's one of the reasons I never got a bike. The money I saved on booze has more than paid for the 90 coupe and I get my thrills in a whole new way.
Posted on: 2008/6/4 21:24

FATED Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

I bought mine because I got interested in Corvette about 91.
I liked the look of the Atari flat dash and considered a couple to purchase back then. Drove an 84 that had a carbretor but it ran like a dog. Think it had a 305 in it. Went out looking a few years later and bought a 54 Stude insted. Worked on it steady for 2 years then went overseas, moved around, lost interest. Saw this 85 on an auction site and had it delivered. Sold the Stude to pay for it, and have been putting money in to it ever since. Just started an engine change and transmission change.

Short answer-Crazy.
Posted on: 2008/6/6 1:30

FATED Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Guru Newb
Texas
157 Posts

Quote:

snowmanmdp wrote:
Got mine by trading for a 06 900 Polaris fusion(Snowmobile) I started looking for a car last year. To tell the truth I was looking for a foxbody mustang. We went to a vette show last summer at canterbury village,after that experince I sworwe I would never have a vette. The people there were some of the biggest jerks I had ever met! I have been around cars my whole live and had never ran across that kind of additude ever. My wife was in total disbeleif, she said she would never ever have a vette after that. SORRY if this offends anyone here, but it is what happend! Now that we have the vette my wife want me to keep it! I have had a few offers on it and I still have it. Considering I put it up for sale or trade the day I got it, I'm amazed I still own it. I just ordered seatcovers and a stainless exaust so I think I will keep it for a while!

Stay away from Corvette clubs. If you don't have the right Vette or an old one euww!!
Posted on: 2008/6/6 1:35

Guru Newb
Clive, IA
9 Posts

Quote:

FATED wrote:

Stay away from Corvette clubs. If you don't have the right Vette or an old one euww!!

Funny thing is, around here, most of the Corvette Clubs are comprised of C4, C5, and C6 Corvettes. Up until the last few years there were actually more C4s around than the others. So they are accepted around here...
Posted on: 2008/6/12 14:51

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I don't see too many Corvette owners at Corvette shows/events. Mostly just borrowers.
Posted on: 2008/6/12 15:30

95Vert Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Senior Guru
Aiken, SC
440 Posts

I was at a Miata club meeting this past weekend, now called a roadster club so I had my RX7vert as the Corvette was still in GA with the seat all the way forward and the switch toast.

One guy who had a C6 but sold it due to massive problems said to join the corvette club, better make sure you have your Zaino because all they do is wax their cars. No drives, no track outings, just waxing. I wonder...
Posted on: 2008/6/17 13:53

j3studio Re: Why did you buy your C4?
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4247 Posts

Quote:
Eric91Z wrote:

1) If you recently purchased your C4 (in the last couple of years, say), why did you get a C4 instead of a C5?

We already had the 2003 'vert when we purchased the 1985 coupe in early 2004.

Quote:
2) If you have had your C4 for a while now, why have you kept it instead of going to a newer C5 or C6?

We don't sell our Corvettes - which is why we're currently looking for more garage space.

Quote:
3) If you have both a C4 and C5/C6, what do you like about each and do you prefer one over the other?

C4:

1) More that I'm comfortable working on

2) More elemental

3) Color is much rarer

4) Great torque

C5:

1) Just about everything works perfectly

2) Great long range driver (we once drove 7,800 miles in 17 days in it)

3) Great horsepower

Both:

1) Achingly beautiful

2) Corvettes

...we don't prefer one over the other
Posted on: 2008/6/17 15:08

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.