Login
Username:

Password:

Remember Me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Who's Online
148 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

more...
Guru Dictionary
Print in friendly format Send this term to a friend  TH700R4 / 4L60
Automatic Transmission - 4 Speed

1st Gear: 3.06
2nd Gear: 1.62
3rd Gear: 1.00
4th Gear: 0.70

Reverse: 2.29

- Used in production GM model...
Supporting Vendors
Platinum
Mid America Motorworks
Mid America Motorworks FREE CATALOG

Gold
FIC 770-888-1662

Registered Vendors
Guru Friends
Supporting Banners

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying

Shop for Winter Tires Now!

Support This Site
(1) 2 »
 Register To Post

CSS996 How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Mega Guru
Central PA
3644 Posts

I remember a couple guys on CF moving from their 4s to 5s. And we have maybe three folks on here with recent C6 purchases.

I'm curious if any of us (especially heavy posters) are seriously looking to move to a newer Vette?

I really dig my car, and don't see myself affording a newer car any time soon, but if certain parts become impossible to find, and as I grow tired of climbing out of the Ruby, maybe a C5 would be nice. Unless I could move all the way to a C6.

Right now, the newer generation forums are pretty quiet. I see that changing, and it would be great if a few more of us ended up distributed among the other gens. To preserve the culture, so to speak.

So... Anyone seriously thinking about it?
Posted on: 2008/9/5 1:13

Mekanic Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Registered Vendor
Tampa Bay Florida
827 Posts

Nope. Don't like the looks of the C5 or the cheapness of the C6 interior.

Maybe in about 6-7 years I'll pick up a C6Z to add to the stable, but my LT4 and I will be together a LONG time.
Posted on: 2008/9/5 1:16

Yea tho I walk through the valley in the shadow of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Matatk Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:

Seriously???? No. I'd love a new vert C6, but it's not gonna happen anytime soon. Besides, I have fun playing with the 89, and I'd be too afraid to break something on a C6!

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/9/5 1:18

NC Kid Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Elite Guru
North Carolina
1671 Posts

Ummm....if I could afford it, YES! Wouldn't think twice about ditching the C4 for a C5.
Posted on: 2008/9/5 1:19

bogus Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Not really. I have found only 1 C5 whose looks I really like, and that's this kit:

Resized Image

Yes. It's bad to the bone.

However... any body kit does not change the C5 and C6 nasty little secret... the transaxle is not all that stout. The diff has a tendency to blow ring gears right out the ass end.
Posted on: 2008/9/5 1:23

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

cuisinartvette Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Elite Guru
1782 Posts

I caught the fever a few times, they drive great and I love the dash & the roofline of the FRC.
Too many electronics for me, too expensive to mod to the point Id want. Id blow that trans system they have in a hot second. Give me a Zf and a Dana44 any day of the week...Simple and strong.
Posted on: 2008/9/5 1:52

Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

RUBY9246 Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Guru
North Jersey
80 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:
I remember a couple guys on CF moving from their 4s to 5s. And we have maybe three folks on here with recent C6 purchases.

I'm curious if any of us (especially heavy posters) are seriously looking to move to a newer Vette?

I really dig my car, and don't see myself affording a newer car any time soon, but if certain parts become impossible to find, and as I grow tired of climbing out of the Ruby, maybe a C5 would be nice. Unless I could move all the way to a C6.

Right now, the newer generation forums are pretty quiet. I see that changing, and it would be great if a few more of us ended up distributed among the other gens. To preserve the culture, so to speak.

I moved up from the RUBY to a 2007. I don't regret it. The C6 is fun to drive and easier to get in and out of. I want to take some long trips (RT 66) and the RUBY Vert had no storage space.

Most of the people who have a lot of knowledge of the C4 and always offered great advice have moved to this board. I hope some of you move up so I will have someone to go to when the C6 starts having issues.
Posted on: 2008/9/5 3:14

biggrizzly Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

I really like the C6 a lot and most of my club buddies are driving them these days. I just bought a new house so, a $700 payment is out of the question and I don't have 30k to put down. Kerbeck just sent us a flyer at Carlisle advertising $41K for a coupe... not bad

I love the C4 and I have too much sweat into mine at this point.

I would consider a white convertible C5 with torch interior or a yellow Z06. I don't like the C5 coupes much at all. My favorite is the FRC or Z06

It's a safe bet I'll be keeping my C4 for a long time yet.
Posted on: 2008/9/5 3:25

CentralCoaster Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I'm sure eventually I get sick of this thing and burn it to the ground and go out and get a new Vette. And then the next day I'll regret it.
Posted on: 2008/9/5 3:55

DaleD Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

bogus wrote:

However... any body kit does not change the C5 and C6 nasty little secret... the transaxle is not all that stout. The diff has a tendency to blow ring gears right out the ass end.

I was looking at C5s drooling and watching the price drop. Then I read about the thin walls on the block for the early models, and transmission issues.

I can't afford a C6. And a C5 would be ok, if you got a low mileage later year car, say an 02 with 25k miles. But that's going to cost about $25k or more.

A 96 LT4 is an ideal next step.
Posted on: 2008/9/5 13:51

runner140 Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Master Guru
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
721 Posts

I looked at C-4's (LT-4's) and also looked at a couple of 2001's. I've had my 96' for over five years and really want to keep it for another few years, at least.

Guess when I can't keep up with problems, that will be the time to make the trade. I have over 150,000 miles and most have been trouble free.
Posted on: 2008/9/5 14:11

81c3 Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Senior Guru
Colorado
143 Posts

Absolutely! The C5 Z06 is a phenomenal automobile. I had an 02 Z & want an 04 Commemorative Edition next. I must admit though, I'm hooked on the ZR-1 and wouldnt mind adding another to the stable,
Posted on: 2008/9/9 13:17

TommyT-Bone Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Chair-man of the bored
Homestead USA
33741 Posts

Do the new ones come with a 10 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty? If they do, It might be one more thing I do before I croak.
Posted on: 2008/9/9 13:36

patgizz Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Senior Guru
Medina, OH
228 Posts

i doubt i'll ever rid myself of the 91, but no doubt i'll put an LSx engine in it when the L98 dies but who knows when that will be since i've seen plenty with 200K+ miles and mine is only at 115k

i could see getting a c5 Z06 in the future as a track bitch.
Posted on: 2008/9/9 14:28

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

Quote:

DaleD wrote:

That's probably as poor an excuse as not buying a C4 because you heard the intakes are meant for 305s and the chassis snaps in half every time you hit a speed bump.
Posted on: 2008/9/9 14:38

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Only issue I have with owning another Vette is having t view all the whining (like I am lol) on forums. I think a FRC or C5Z would be fun, just dont want to own a car I have to look things up online to fix. Thousands of hours of my life wasted lol.
Posted on: 2008/9/9 14:41

bogus Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Grand Imperial Pooh-Bah
San Pedro, CA
20856 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
Quote:

DaleD wrote:

That's probably as poor an excuse as not buying a C4 because you heard the intakes are meant for 305s and the chassis snaps in half every time you hit a speed bump.

I have read more about transaxle failures than chassis failures.

At least the intake problem can be fixed!
Posted on: 2008/9/9 14:44

Education is the best tool to overcome irrational fear. - me

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

I guess my point is people that have no experience with it repeat those types of things over and over until it becomes this overplayed internet gossip, with a little bit of fact and a whole lot of fish stories.

I can think of about a few stories about the C4 that are similar, and its always those with the least personal experience that are spewing them.
Posted on: 2008/9/9 14:57

RollaMo-LT4 Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Trivia Winner
Rolla, Missouri
422 Posts

Quote:

CentralCoaster wrote:
I guess my point is people that have no experience with it repeat those types of things over and over until it becomes this overplayed internet gossip, with a little bit of fact and a whole lot of fish stories.

I can think of about a few stories about the C4 that are similar, and its always those with the least personal experience that are spewing them.

I have to agree with CC on this one. This is very similar to the damn OptiSpark on the C4. I know some people hate them, and some are even afraid to drive in the rain with one. But you know there are thousands of them on the road that's never had an issue.

Yes, I wash my engine

It's the internet lore that keeps the myths going.

Oh, and a C5 was just in one of the Vette magazines as being the overall winner on Pinks. I haven't read the whole article yet, but it did mention that it was not a solid axle conversion.
Posted on: 2008/9/9 18:12

happydad Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Senior Guru
northern Ill
151 Posts

Does that mean if I get one I won't Wave..........
Posted on: 2008/10/8 0:13
86 Coupe,350 bored .040 over,Eagle Internals,Scorp RR.Crane Cam,Hedman Hedders,Holley Mani,TCI Trans,3:73 Rear, Demon Carb ,Hole in the hood Scooped and Lots of leaks(Horsepower) I forget :thumbleft:

VetteUSA Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Guru Newb
103 Posts

Quote:

CSS996 wrote:

Me Me Me Me Me!

I had considered a C5 when I was first doing my vette shopping, but it just didn't fit the budget. My last payment on my C4 is in January, :toothy5: :toothy5: :toothy5: so depending on how my financial situation is in 4 or 5 months, I may decide to buy a C5 next year. Unlike a lot of other people though, I won't be moving from a C4 to a C5, I'll be adding a C5 to the stable. I do not want another C4, at least, not right now. Once I have a C5 and C6, then I may get another C4. My C5 will be a 6-speed though; a Z06 is a consideration.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 5:27

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

Have had C5 fever a few times but to get it to perform the way I wanted to I could never afford it. Love the interior and the feel of the frame though. Nice riding car.
I barely undrstand the tech of these OBD1 cars so Im sticking around here or older.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 6:24

C2C3C4C6 Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Guru
Sandwich, Illinois
63 Posts

It's funny that you should ask this question. I'm going to the Dealer today to drive a C6. It's a white coupe with the cashmere interior, 3LT options, and polished chrome wheels. The only thing I don't like is the automatic transmission. I would prefer the 6 speed manual, but if I like how this one feels, I will probably order one and take the Museum delivery.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 10:10

sccavette Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Guru Newb
Kokomo Indiana
39 Posts

I might be changing jobs and will need to purchase a car to travel in. I have been looking at the usual Cobalt SS, G6, BMW3 series but for the prices of C5's right now I am considering one for my company car. The price combined with the mileage they get it is a win win situation. Just need to figure out what to do when there is snow on the ground.

Whatever I do I will not be getting rid of the C4.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 12:45

DaleD Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Senior Guru
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
1389 Posts

Quote:

C2C3C4 wrote:
It's funny that you should ask this question. I'm going to the Dealer today to drive a C6. It's a white coupe with the cashmere interior, 3LT options, and polished chrome wheels. The only thing I don't like is the automatic transmission. I would prefer the 6 speed manual, but if I like how this one feels, I will probably order one and take the Museum delivery.

You have no idea how envious I am of you. Not in a bad way. I watched someone take delievery when I toured the NCM. I got a thrill just watching. That would be my ultimate dream. Take delievery of a new Corvette at the NCM. Won't ever happen, but dreams are good.
I hope you do order one, and be sure to let us live vicariously through you! (Pics and details).
Posted on: 2008/10/14 13:48

Elite Guru
1782 Posts

C2C3C4-If you really want a 6 spd then by all means get a 6 spd. Too big a purchase to make and compromise.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 16:21

sccavette Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Guru Newb
Kokomo Indiana
39 Posts

Quote:

cuisinartvette wrote:
C2C3C4-If you really want a 6 spd then by all means get a 6 spd. Too big a purchase to make and compromise.

I agree! I would have to have the 6 speed also. Funny thing is I know a few people that have bough the auto (paddle shift) and said they like it better than the manual and these are people that I would never have guessed to buy a auto. One guy had a 6 speed and they had to buy it back and the one he replaced it with is the auto and he said he is glad he got the auto on the replacement.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 16:43

Guru
Sandwich, Illinois
63 Posts

Quote:

C2C3C4 wrote:

Tues-10/14--Went to the dealer and drove the C6 today, and I didn't like it!!! When I got back in the C4, it felt like putting on an old shoe. I was more comfortable, and the old LT4 was sure stronger than that C6 w/automatic. I guess I'll save the $53,000 and keep driving the C4!
Posted on: 2008/10/14 20:39

Matatk Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Webmaster
SW Chicago Burbs
22792 Posts

That's surprising. I still haven't driven one. My cousin has one, I just haven't gotten the chance, but one of these days.

Anything specifically you didn't like?

Matthew
Posted on: 2008/10/14 22:14

Guru
Sandwich, Illinois
63 Posts

I didn't like the way you have to start it, there is no key! I didn't feel comfortable in the seats, I'm too big, my knees were between the steering wheel (in the uppermost position) and the dash. The seat would not go far enough back. I did like the dual mode exhaust, the head-up display, power telescoping steering wheel, forged chrome wheels, and the interior was gorgeous in that cashmere perforated leather.
In all fairness, the foam in the seats in my C4 were worn down from 13 years of use, I suppose that made them "fit" me more comfortably. The C6 was NOT any quieter than my C4 coupe, the engine felt a little weaker than my LT4, but there was only 28 miles on the C6.

I'm going back tomorrow to drive a new Cyber Gray 6 speed manual with the Z-51 suspension.
Posted on: 2008/10/14 22:52

AKS_Racing Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Guru
62 Posts

I have had many C4s, no longer own any C5s, and love the C6. In my opinion, Chevrolet returned to the "C4 type" design when they drew the plans for the C6. The C5 had way more room inside, but I am not a 6'3" 260lb man, so at 5'10" 190 lbs, the C4 and C6 fit me very well.

It is amazing the amount of improvement from the C4 to the C6 generation. My C4s will always have a special spot in my heart, but the C6 is one great car.
Aaron
Posted on: 2008/10/21 15:22

jsup Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Elite Guru
1778 Posts

I don't get the C5/6 envy, but I have my car for another reason.

I like the Gen1 small block.

I like the shaking, the rumble, the sound when you put the pedal down. The seat pinning torque. I had C3s and to me a Corvette is a car with creeks and rattles, not that mine has any, because it doesn't.

To me, the C5/6 is a bit TOO refined. I could have easily purchased a C5 with what I have in my car, and my spending ain't done.

There's rims, brakes, tires, suspension, trans, rear end. That's my list. So I'm probably $7K more into the hole into the future, however, I will run toe to toe with the C5s in speed, handling, and ok, maybe not ride.

But I wanted a Corvette, and I wanted a Hot Rod. A Hot Rod isn't silky smooth 0-60, it's a crate with a motor.

I put less than 1000 miles a year on the car, and for me, I just can't see how a C5/6 does for me what I want to do with a car of this type.

I was tired of being embarrassed speed wise by the newer cars, so I fixed that. The other stuff I mentioned, I don't think I'll have less of a car, in fact, when my vision comes to fruition, I submit I will have MORE of a car.

That's just me.
Posted on: 2008/10/21 15:32

astock165 Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Registered Vendor
Manchester NH
199 Posts

I would only go to a C5/C6 if it were in addition to my C4 and it would be my new track car. That way I would have a development platform for the more receent generations. Right now I keep having to use Gary's C6Z
Posted on: 2009/10/21 18:00
www.banskimotorsports.com

JDSWHITE93 Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Senior Guru
Ohio
334 Posts

This is my third C4 Corvette, if I get rid of this one it will be time for something completely different.IF I dump this one I'll build a traditional Hot Rod.
Posted on: 2009/10/21 20:02

biggrizzly Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
2011 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4543 Posts

OMG - I thought John was posting here again until I looked at the date of the post. LOL

Anyhow, one day I will get a C6, just not sure when. However, I will keep the C4 a while. Its my rough and tumble car now, and I like it that way.
Posted on: 2009/10/21 20:05

VetteMed Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Guru Newb
Alachua, FL
37 Posts

I did the reverse - I owned an '01 C5 convertible, and it bored me to tears. Yeah, it was a nice cruiser, but it never really "wowed" me at all. Sold it and came over to C4 territory - first my 94 LT1, now my '91 ZR-1. I'd consider another C5 if I had space and money, because I wouldn't really get much use out of it, but it's low on the list of desirable cars at this point. The C6 has zero appeal to me, I don't like the styling at all, with the exception of the ZO6, and even that's iffy.
Posted on: 2009/10/24 15:26

C-4Now Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Guru Newb
Grand Rapids, Mi
6 Posts

Every so often I get this itch But so far haven't been convinced to dump my 2 C-4's for newer and actualy am more interested in C-1/C-2 with LSX motor and C-4/C-5 suspension!!!
Posted on: 2010/1/2 1:35

Gearheadotaku Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Guru
Michigan
52 Posts

if I buy another vette, I'll go "backwards" with a C2 or 3.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 14:32

383tpimachine Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Master Guru
Corpus Christi
976 Posts

im not a 'heavy' poster but im looking to climb into a c5 next summer (19 year old college kid FTW) but the 85 will stay mine and just sit in the stable unless I want to have a lil fun or date
Posted on: 2010/2/17 14:53

Senior Guru
San Diego, CA
9454 Posts

The thought crosses my mind of getting a modded c5 or c5z... but I'm not going to buy anything unless it's with cash. And there's other cars I'd rather have before having 2 vettes. Either way I don't see myself getting rid of my 85. Now if it caught on fire or got totalled, that's a different story.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:06

Ultraman Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
2015 Memorial Day Car Show Winner!
Huskerland
14705 Posts

Since I just got my 90 I am very pleased with it. I never did like the C5's much. I like a car that is affordable and gives me the chance to turn it into what I want. C4's fit that bill perfectly. Maybe sometime in the future I could see myself in a C6 GS. My Harley is a 99 and they keep after me to trade into a new one. Why? This one is just the way I like it and looks better than a new one.

I also like simplicity and all the newer stuff has way to many magic boxes to get them to run. That's my thoughts.
Posted on: 2010/2/17 15:34

Vote DeSantis in 2024.... Make the IRS go away...

90EXPVette Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Senior Guru
Martinez, Georgia
185 Posts

I've loved my '90 but the next Vette I get hopefully is a chrome bumpered C3! I've never liked the C5, but do like the C6, but I'd hate to have one out of warranty. My friends and I have changed a ton of things on the 90 I can't imagine that there is a lot a shadetree mechanic could do on a C6.
Posted on: 2010/2/23 16:40

red_johnny Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
On Sabbatical
Augusta, GA (85 383 stroker)
3213 Posts

Well I did sell my C4 and I knew I always wanted another vette. The C6's I think are bad arse and if all goes well, in about 5 months I will have one sitting in my drive way.
Posted on: 2010/2/23 17:12

Aboatguy Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Senior Guru
My Avatar was redistributed!
498 Posts

My wife has be looking at the C6s for a while now....so I may end up with a C6 in the collection before I get my C5....however, I'm keeping my 95 with its little 355..
Posted on: 2010/2/25 3:21

BillH Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
The Stig Moderator
Reno
22702 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:
My wife has be looking at the C6s for a while now....so I may end up with a C6 in the collection before I get my C5....however, I'm keeping my 95 with its little 355..

Everybody's wife should be that cool.
Posted on: 2010/2/25 23:30

j3studio Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Elite Guru
Western Philadelphia Burbs
4245 Posts

We're considering a C6 and we already have C5.
Posted on: 2010/2/26 0:07

Louis, 2012 Centennial Edition Coupe

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

sccavette wrote:
I might be changing jobs and will need to purchase a car to travel in. I have been looking at the usual Cobalt SS, G6, BMW3 series but for the prices of C5's right now I am considering one for my company car. The price combined with the mileage they get it is a win win situation. Just need to figure out what to do when there is snow on the ground.

Whatever I do I will not be getting rid of the C4.

No problem with proper tire choice C4 is pretty darn good in the snow....
Posted on: 2010/3/7 1:23

Senior Guru
498 Posts

Quote:

BillH wrote:
Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:

Everybody's wife should be that cool.
She's quite the lady (but then again she has to be cool IOT put up with my antics for the last two and a half decades)
Posted on: 2010/3/7 1:30

aknight Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Guru Newb
8 Posts

I would love to add a C3 to my garage...75 ragtop is what I crave.
Posted on: 2010/8/22 3:46

Scott7 Re: How many C4 owners are seriously considering a C5 or C6?
Senior Guru
Aurora, CO
169 Posts

Quote:

Aboatguy wrote:

Not a heavy poster but I'll stay with my C4 for quite a while. I'd say its very special to me after all it was a birthday present from my lady!!
Scott
Posted on: 2012/7/8 14:45

(1) 2 »
You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

CorvetteForum.guru is independently owned and operated. This site is not associated with or financially supported by General Motors.

Copyright 2008-2015 CorvetteForum.guru

CorvetteForum.guru is a Guru Garage Site (Coming Soon!)

If you have any questions about our site, please contact us at Andy@corvetteforum.guru.